ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Santanellio is a good kid, Based on current rooster most likely a back-up unless kids get injured. Wish him good luck and hope he wins a state title. Also gets “full ride”at Navy and he would not get much scholarship money at RU.

Yeah I’m hoping he gets one more crack at Peterson in states. Peterson definitely the better wrestler but Santaniello has gotten closer and closer every time they wrestle. Has a real Alvarez/Howard feel to it.

Santanellio is a good kid, Based on current rooster most likely a back-up unless kids get injured. Wish him good luck and hope he wins a state title. Also gets “full ride”at Navy and he would not get much scholarship money at RU.

Agreed.

Would have loved to have the kid at RU to develop and fight for a roster spot, but I understand going somewhere else, especially the Naval Academy, if you have military aspirations. Not every kid sees wrestling or MMA in their long term future and you can't blame someone for getting on a great career path as well. Plus I'm sure money is tight here as well.

With that being said, I would still like to land his brother in a few years unless he chooses to go down the same path as well.

I can’t speak for his aspirations but I think the brother will be the better wrestler of the two, and his timeline probably better aligns with a starting spot at Rutgers assuming he continues to improve and stays at a lower weight.

Reactions: MS-RU
Santaniello's dad Vinny is a former roomate of Goodale at Lock Haven..He also runs one of the best clubs in America in Shore Thing and has for a long time..I think it would be great if we can sign Anthony in the future

Reactions: gogs7
I’m not super high on Tallmadge. He’s good but he’s more cut out for freestyle.

PJ Casale to Lehigh. Big time pickup for them. Thought we had shot with him but there isn't a lot top talent left uncommitted in NJ.

Not too worried about the Jersey kids we lost. Doubt that the guys we lost are of Big Ten caliber. Out of state is where the talent for the class of 2022 exists. If we don't pick up a coupe of guys from Georgia and Penna, we should become concerned.

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily think we’re getting out recruited but it’s probably not easy to get the top talent to Rutgers with Suriano still on full scholarship. Not saying that he shouldn’t have it or anything like that, but it’s probably difficult to spread money around right now. Once Suriano and Rivera graduate, we’ll probably be able to bring in a couple studs.

Casale and Cosgrove are both Big10 caliber...state champs in NJ as sophomores and Nationally ranked going into their junior year. I think you mis-typed the out of state talent for class of 2020(since they already graduated HS). Not sure what year class you are referencing.

Casale and Cosgrove are both Big10 caliber...state champs in NJ as sophomores and Nationally ranked going into their junior year. I think you mis-typed the out of state talent for class of 2020(since they already graduated HS). Not sure what year class you are referencing.
Were we pushing hard for Casale?

Were we pushing hard for Casale?

Not really since he projects as a HWT, I was just commenting on the post that "NJ guys that have committed elsewhere were not Big 10 caliber". I disagree. RU was recruiting Cosgrove and Santaniello(who I believe is also Big caliber and would have been a 3 year starter here....but USNA is tuff to pass up).

Reactions: Leonard23
Granted we have Hamilton at 220/285 already, who is ranked higher/better and only a year older so it's not a huge loss (assuming he sticks with wrestling) but there isn't a lot of top talent left in state. Maybe Cangro?

With that being said, we need to be focusing all of our in state efforts on the Mullens/A Santaniello/Vazquez class and hopefully we can land 2 of the 3, with Mullens being the centerpiece.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Granted we have Hamilton at 220/285 already, who is ranked higher/better and only a year older so it's not a huge loss (assuming he sticks with wrestling) but there isn't a lot of top talent left in state. Maybe Cangro?

With that being said, we need to be focusing all of our in state efforts on the Mullens/A Santaniello/Vazquez class and hopefully we can land 2 of the 3, with Mullens being the centerpiece.

Almeyda and Cangro are probably the best remaining upperclassmen in state outside of the Blair kids.

Forget the Blair kids. They look at RU as a step down from the Ives or the Iowa’s, PSU or Okie State, Ohio State. Peer pressure for a top Blair kid to admit he chooses RU ain’t happening. Don’t waste our time and resources recruiting them.

If we can't land SVN, it will never happen with a top Blair kid.

ScarletGrapfan

You are right I meant class of 2022. Cosgrove was a kid I liked. Based on our needs and dollars available not upset we missed on the other Jersey kids. I would spend our dollars on higher potential kids where the needed is greater. Only have so much money.

Looks like Hamilton, Oliveri, and Soldano are all down in AC competing in the NUWAY Summer Nationals HS Duals this week.

Hamilton (285) - Team Shutt (weighed in at 253.0)
Oliveri (145) - Iron Horse
Soldano (187) - Iron Horse

Would have been nice to have Weaver there as well but I don't see him listed.

Last edited:
Looks like Hamilton, Oliveri, and Soldano are all down in AC competing in the NUWAY Summer Nationals HS Duals this week.

Hamilton (285) - Team Shutt (weighed in at 253.0)
Oliveri (145) - Iron Horse
Soldano (187) - Iron Horse

Would have been nice to have Weaver there as well but I don't see him listed.
Will these duals be televised/broadcast anywhere? I didn't see them listed on Flo.

Forget the Blair kids. They look at RU as a step down from the Ives or the Iowa’s, PSU or Okie State, Ohio State. Peer pressure for a top Blair kid to admit he chooses RU ain’t happening. Don’t waste our time and resources recruiting them.
Well.. we do have Malcolm Robinson... and Mario Mason did transfer in from Blair... the draw has to be they feel they can win here + wants to stay home.

They listed Hamilton as weighing in but it doesn't look like he is wrestling for some reason. His team has wrestled twice thus far and David Szuba has bumped up to HVY both times.

Both Oliveri and Soldano won their first matchups:
  • Joey Oliveri (Iron Horse) over Zach Vera (Xtreme Breed) Fall 1:58
  • Brian Soldano (Iron Horse) over Justin Onello (Xtreme Breed) Fall 1:01

Oliveri lost his 2nd match-up though.That kid finished 4th in PA last year and is ranked in the top 100 for 2021 but I'm not sure what happened. Looking the match summary, he had no offense and got taken down at the end of the 2nd and didn't have time to escape. Obviously not ideal/expected.
  • Kyle Hauserman (Turks Head) over Joey Oliveri (Iron Horse) Dec 3-2
  • Brian Soldano wins by TF 3:44 (20-2)

Last edited:
Joey Oliveri (Iron Horse) over Nick Campagna (Myland Wrestling Academy ) Maj 14-3
Brian Soldano (Iron Horse) over Aaron Llanas (Myland Wrestling Academy ) Fall 0:42

Joey Oliveri (Iron Horse) over Dylan Petrie (Ride Out WC) Fall 1:04
Brian Soldano (Iron Horse) over Cael Crebs (Ride Out WC) Maj 14-5

Last edited:
Dual Quarterfinals:

Joey Oliveri (Iron Horse) over Owen Norman (Ares Red) Fall 3:27

Brian Soldano (Iron Horse) over Vincent Scaramuzzino (Ares Red) Dec 5-2

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Dual Semi-final results and Iron Horse will advance to the finals.

Joey Oliveri (Iron Horse) over Tim Bova (SWA) Dec 5-4

We also had a rematch of the NJ 160 finals this year, with Soldano beating Stefanelli (Delbarton) once again.

Brian Soldano (Iron Horse) over Stefanelli Dante (SWA) Dec 3-0

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
Soldano will have a monster matchup in the finals against Dylan Connell, a senior & Illinois commit, who is ranked #3 at 182 as per Flo

Soldano is currently ranked #7 at 170, so this will be a great test/opportunity for him.

Finals results:

Joey Oliveri (Iron Horse) over Ethan Stiles (Team Shutt) Dec 3-1

Dylan Connell (Team Shutt) over Brian Soldano (Iron Horse) Dec 4-2

Finals results:

Joey Oliveri (Iron Horse) over Ethan Stiles (Team Shutt) Dec 3-1

Dylan Connell (Team Shutt) over Brian Soldano (Iron Horse) Dec 4-2
Congrats to Joey, and impressive that Soldano hung in there with a bigger, older, and higher ranked kid.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT