ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Any thoughts on what weights Alvarez and Rivera wrestle?
There aren't a lot of options... Rivera is going to be the 141 unless he wants to go back down to 133 but I doubt that will happen. That means either Sammy challenges for 149 aginst MVB (if he returns), Angelo, or even Aragona potentially or he takes a RS and goes 141 after Seabass is finished.

Curious to see what’s going to happen to a lot of the kids currently on the team. We’re at the 30 wrestler limit not counting Suriano, Glasgow, Colon’s gray shirt, or the 6 incoming freshmen. There’s going to be some casualties.

Harrison already entered the portal. I would imagine Grello is going to as well. Firestone I would think is going to graduate, maybe Collucci, Esposito, Metzler, and Santos will as well. Then there’s guys like Benner, Gapas, and Esteves who are probably never going to see much action in their careers. Also, whatever happened to Damerjian and Lightner? I guess they went their separate ways from the program?

There aren't a lot of options... Rivera is going to be the 141 unless he wants to go back down to 133 but I doubt that will happen. That means either Sammy challenges for 149 aginst MVB (if he returns), Angelo, or even Aragona potentially or he takes a RS and goes 141 after Seabass is finished.
Is Sammy big enough to go 149?

I was actually wondering if Sammy would be big enough for 157 even.. we seen wrestlers jump 3 weight classes before like Dake 141 to 65 and kemerer 149 to 174...
Dake jumped 3 weight classes over the course of 4 years and he was a freak. Kemerer wrestled 157 for two years before jumping up to 174.

I don’t think it’s a question of whether or not Alavarez is big enough, as he probably walks around at 150-160. It’s just a matter of will he be strong enough to wrestle there. If the plan is to fill in some gaps by bumping Kannaird to 165, I think it would make more sense to put Angelo at 157 than Alvarez.

Curious to see what’s going to happen to a lot of the kids currently on the team. We’re at the 30 wrestler limit not counting Suriano, Glasgow, Colon’s gray shirt, or the 6 incoming freshmen. There’s going to be some casualties.

Harrison already entered the portal. I would imagine Grello is going to as well. Firestone I would think is going to graduate, maybe Collucci, Esposito, Metzler, and Santos will as well. Then there’s guys like Benner, Gapas, and Esteves who are probably never going to see much action in their careers. Also, whatever happened to Damerjian and Lightner? I guess they went their separate ways from the program?

I'm curious about Lightner as well. There's def a good amount of bodies that may need to get cut. Last season we added a lot of room type upperweights. There's a few lightweight bodies as well.

Two guys that had some potential was Robinson and Benner. Would like to see more from them at some tournaments. They haven't looked like starters but it never hurts to have stronger depth. Especially when called upon.

Anyone with insight on John O’Donnell from Toms River north. He’s on my son’s wrestling team and he mauls everyone. Listed here as coming to Rutgers.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Anyone with insight on John O’Donnell from Toms River north. He’s on my son’s wrestling team and he mauls everyone. Listed here as coming to Rutgers.
No insight on him particularly, but he is not nationally ranked and we have Kyonte Hamilton coming in at 285 in that same class who is ranked #3 nationally. We also have McDermott returning with 2 years of eligibility I believe. I expect it would be tough for O’Donnell to break into the lineup at 285 barring injury or something unexpected.

The Shore is usually pretty mediocre when it comes to heavyweights. I don’t know much about ODonnell specifically but he’s probably not getting the greatest competition in state. We’ll see how he does in states.

The Shore is usually pretty mediocre when it comes to heavyweights. I don’t know much about ODonnell specifically but he’s probably not getting the greatest competition in state. We’ll see how he does in states.
If I remember correctly he won a pretty good offseason Match. Can’t remember who.

Let's see how he does against Szuba. O'Donnell is like the 3-6 best heavyweight in the state. He's a big boy that's for sure. Pure heavyweight by sheer size standards. We're kind of loaded with room guys in that weight class so it should be interesting to see how that pans out. I think our future is with Boone and Kyonte. Hopefully they help him make jumps in his game once he's at RU.

Not to take shots at Kyonte, cause he's one talented kid. But I see on Rivals that he' got a 2 star rating. I get that he loves football (it's definitely a blast). But I hope he goes to wrestling full time, where he's a 4-5 star recruit. Pumped to watch him on 4/2!

Not to take shots at Kyonte, cause he's one talented kid. But I see on Rivals that he' got a 2 star rating. I get that he loves football (it's definitely a blast). But I hope he goes to wrestling full time, where he's a 4-5 star recruit. Pumped to watch him on 4/2!
The writing will be on the wall with that one after a redshirt year. If the following year he's no where near the two deep after Spring ball and Summer Camp he'll know his true calling. And the way Schiano's recruiting, that TE room is going to get very talented, really quick. Now if we get Mullen, don't expect him to wrestle, that kids got NFL Olineman written all over him.

The writing will be on the wall with that one after a redshirt year. If the following year he's no where near the two deep after Spring ball and Summer Camp he'll know his true calling. And the way Schiano's recruiting, that TE room is going to get very talented, really quick. Now if we get Mullen, don't expect him to wrestle, that kids got NFL Olineman written all over him.

I can’t see that situation playing out like that. Would be foolish to quit football while on a full scholarship to go wrestle on what would likely be only a partial ride. In this hypothetical, I think it would make more sense to transfer to a lower level school like an AAC team to play football there.

His father has posted here before and seems confident his son will be able to handle both sports. The family seems very strong minded so until we see otherwise, we should be inclined to believe them.

Delbarton barely beat kingsway the other night. Tremendous match by a public taking it to a top 5 national team like Delbarton.
Pretty shocking to see Tyler Vazquez and Andrew Troczynski lose. Vasquez was ranked #11 in the country at 120 by Flo.

Reactions: Leonard23
Delbarton barely beat kingsway the other night. Tremendous match by a public taking it to a top 5 national team like Delbarton.

Tremendous effort by a public school, absolutely. But these Catholic, all star teams deserve no comparative rankings alongside public schools.

Tremendous effort by a public school, absolutely. But these Catholic, all star teams deserve no comparative rankings alongside public schools.

Most of the top Public School teams have plenty of "outside" help in their lineups. South Plainfield is and has been 99% brought up thru their great feeder program. Kingsway as well(except the kid who beat Troczynski, wrestled his first 3 years at Cherokee). Look at Brick M lineup this year, Howell(every year, get kids from all over the Freehold regional school district and recently a few out of state kids).Paulsboro has been doing it for 25 years. Even Phillipsburg with the Warren Hills pipeline. Public schools just hide it better.

Hamilton loses by fall in the 2nd period to #11 ranked Vance in the opening bout of the Pittsburgh Classic. Hamilton was about a foot taller than Vance who is built like a fire hydrant. Hamilton was trying lots of throws and funky moves for reasons that are beyond me and he was having difficulty gaining leverage. He had Vance in trouble a few times but then got caught himself and pinned. He has another match in the 6 o’clock window. Hopefully he wrestles better tonight.

Hamilton loses by fall in the 2nd period to #11 ranked Vance in the opening bout of the Pittsburgh Classic. Hamilton was about a foot taller than Vance who is built like a fire hydrant. Hamilton was trying lots of throws and funky moves for reasons that are beyond me and he was having difficulty gaining leverage. He had Vance in trouble a few times but then got caught himself and pinned. He has another match in the 6 o’clock window. Hopefully he wrestles better tonight.
ugh

Just watched the match. Kyonte is better than that. The other guy was scrappy and maneuvered out of a sloppy position. Kyonte is a lot bigger than guys and sometimes gets too high on the legs. Got pinned. It's on Flo.

Here is the O'Donnell vs Szuba match. Looked like a similar situation. Got a little sloppy on top at times. Got caught and pinned from a Granby roll.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
ADVERTISEMENT