ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

I’m talking bout wrestling at a weight where your main focus isn’t just cutting weight but mainly focusing on technique.. a good example is Rivera going 141. An example of a wrestler sucking too much weight is Alvarez.. really hope he doesn’t try 133 again next year.
Seb is a bad example he looked more dominant at a lower weight, until this week hopefully. I think Sammy has too big of a frame for 33 but was stuck there bc Seb at 41

National definitely not, but he was ranked #6 by Full Circle and #9 by Flo at 145 in NJ.

He isn't a nobody or a slouch, but it's a bad loss for someone like Oliveri. His offensive woes are extremely concerning right now.
He jumped up 2 weight classes has to adjust. Wonder if weaver wrestled tonite what his weight is
The season is basically only a month long, there literally isn't much time to adjust or get stronger.
Yeah it's a bad loss and his offensive woes are extremely concerning, which I alluded to a little bit in other posts. If his offense doesn't pickup dramatically, then he won't have a lot of success here. He has the potential and is one of the hardest workers, so hopefully it does, but we've seen this story, so expectations should be tempered.
COVID problems at High Point with the wrestling team...great start of the season for the RU commits.

That stinks but unfortunately there are a ton of schools in covid pauses already. Thankfully, I'm not worried about Soldano as he's been wrestling a ton the past year.

Not worried about Soldano, but I feel bad for him and hope these types of situations don't derail his attempt for a 2nd (and ultimately a 3rd) state title.

@RU Diesel07110 - it looks like all of Lyndhurst's matches were cancelled/postponed this week, but it appears they will wrestle on Saturday. I'm guessing we will see Weaver at 160, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:
I’m talking bout wrestling at a weight where your main focus isn’t just cutting weight but mainly focusing on technique.. a good example is Rivera going 141. An example of a wrestler sucking too much weight is Alvarez.. really hope he doesn’t try 133 again next year.

An even better example is MVB. It was reported a couple of years ago he was sucking too much weight and I think his dad might have touched on that here recently. That weight cut looks to have severely affected him and limited his success back then. Now, third place in the B1G? That's an unreal turn around.

An even better example is MVB. It was reported a couple of years ago he was sucking too much weight and I think his dad might have touched on that here recently. That weight cut looks to have severely affected him and limited his success back then. Now, third place in the B1G? That's an unreal turn around.
I was thinking mvb as well

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Wrestlers need to a cut weight. A guy walking around at 133 wrestling at 133 is going to get abused by a guy who walks around at 148 and cuts to 133.

That said, if you weigh 160 and if you’re cutting to 133, you’re sacrificing way too much energy. There’s a happy medium somewhere.

The more regulation, the less freedom to choose but I do think it is unhealthy to cut too much weight and would prefer seeing limits. Defining what is too much is the trick. Perhaps a formula including one's normal weight and % fat to determine how much a wrestler is allowed to cut.

Can we just ban the college sophomore who is also a former RU college wrestler already?

@Tango Two
Let me ask you a question there Mr. Jump on the bandwagon. Why should I be banned from a forum for stating my opinion? I was right about every single instance except for that transfer from Cornell. I see half of you guys using vulgarities and insulting each other but you guys aren't band. You're right I did wrestle for Rutgers and I did extremely well. Just because I want to remain anonymous, doesn't discredit me. More than half of you guys never even stepped on the wrestling mat, yet you feel it's your right to challenge what I say or discredit me. Whether you want to believe it or not I did wrestle for Rutgers. If you don't believe me then that's your problem. But I still stand by my conviction that Alvarez will not stay here. We can also drop the college sophomore routine already. About 2 weeks ago I admitted I wasnt a college sophomore. Come up with some new material.

Let me ask you a question there Mr. Jump on the bandwagon. Why should I be banned from a forum for stating my opinion? I was right about every single instance except for that transfer from Cornell. I see half of you guys using vulgarities and insulting each other but you guys aren't band. You're right I did wrestle for Rutgers and I did extremely well. Just because I want to remain anonymous, doesn't discredit me. More than half of you guys never even stepped on the wrestling mat, yet you feel it's your right to challenge what I say or discredit me. Whether you want to believe it or not I did wrestle for Rutgers. If you don't believe me then that's your problem. But I still stand by my conviction that Alvarez will not stay here. We can also drop the college sophomore routine already. About 2 weeks ago I admitted I wasnt a college sophomore. Come up with some new material.

Is that a gut feeling or based on some inside information?

From the outside looking in, I can see where it would make sense for him to leave if he is all about wrestling now because unless he gets comfortable at 149, he certainly won't be at 141 next season. With that being said, 149 isn't a lock either with the way MVB is wrestling so a redshirt year would be the best thing for him and program IMO. If he doesn't agree with that and can't win the spot, then sure it makes sense for him to leave but from everything I've heard, he wants to be here. Obviously things/circumstances change, so I won't ever say never but it seems very unlikely unless you heard otherwise from someone credible.

Reactions: njsportsphan
You’re right. I did not wrestle in college. I’m now going to refrain from following RU wrestling, making donations and expressing opinions on the message board. Thanks for showing me the light.

Is that a gut feeling or based on some inside information?

From the outside looking in, I can see where it would make sense for him to leave if he is all about wrestling now because unless he gets comfortable at 149, he certainly won't be at 141 next season. With that being said, 149 isn't a lock either with the way MVB is wrestling so a redshirt year would be the best thing for him and program IMO. If he doesn't agree with that and can't win the spot, then sure it makes sense for him to leave but from everything I've heard, he wants to be here. Obviously things/circumstances change, so I won't ever say never but it seems very unlikely unless you heard otherwise from someone credible.
And who would want to redshirt next year fter a cut short season last year and basically nada this year

And who would want to redshirt next year fter a cut short season last year and basically nada this year
Well it's going to be an issue literally everywhere with this being a free year for everyone. Roster management is going to be a PIA for a few years. Definitely don't envy any of the coaching staffs because there will be a ton of tough conversations to be had over the next few months.

In a normal year, both 141 and 149 would have been open. What do you think will happen with someone like Aragona as well? Some people are going to be forced to RS once again.

Sammy doesn't have to RS but I think it's extremely unlikely he beats SeaBass at 141 and 149 is a huge change for him so going against MVB will be very difficult. Just because he might walk around at 150 doesn't mean he is strong enough to currently wrestle 149. It probably makes the most sense for him to take the year, get stronger, and hit open tournaments/extra matches. After that he will basically have his pick at 141 or 149 depending on where he is most comfortable.

Leaving solves a short term/immediate problem, without thinking of long term opportunities. He could literally take those spots for the 3 years he has left after taking the next year to properly fill out his body.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Most internet forums don’t allow banned users to create 2nd, 3rd, and 4th accounts to circumvent the banning. Also Rivals TOS says mods can ban users in the best interest of the site so I’m really surprised you’re still allowed to be here

Sammy will return next year.

We have seen it countless times... wrestlers that suck TOO MUCH weight do not perform their best.. it’s counterproductive to be worrying bout stepping on the scales on the time when you should be focusing on technique and having fun..

Another example is Ash, when he went 149—undefeated national title.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I still want that Transfer from CORNELL!!!!!!

Just saying....No hate today! At least until the 1st match!

You are not anonymous ..we all know who you are ...a nobody trying to be a somebody ....you lie so much I have no idea why anyone here even gives you air ....remaining supposedly anonymous and lying incessantly is a big difference ...for a supposed wrestler to defame kids and parents the way you have is a disgrace ...thats is what you are ..a disgrace !...I could care less who you are ....

Most internet forums don’t allow banned users to create 2nd, 3rd, and 4th accounts to circumvent the banning. Also Rivals TOS says mods can ban users in the best interest of the site so I’m really surprised you’re still allowed to be here
Yes..his idea of opinion is to challenge a parent to meet him in the RAC parking lot like he did last year from his trailer in buttf—k USA ....he disgraced himself and lucky for him he never showed up in the parking lot because both those parents would have wiped his ass all over the lot for what he was saying about their kids .....that’s his idea of being a contributor here ...plus all his lies on the 3 different accounts he has tried here ...just ignore him and maybe he will stay in his trailer park

Kyonte Hamilton will be wrestling in the 2021 Pittsburgh Classic vs. Nate Schon (2x State Champ, ranked #10 at heavyweight - heading to Iowa State). 6pm on 4/2/21 on Flo.

Should be a good match! The lineup is pretty stellar. Ungar will be wrestling too.

Reactions: Leonard23 and MS-RU
Also, it appears that Oliveri went back down to 138 over the weekend, so I'm guessing he bumped up earlier in the week since Jason Smith is Booton's best wrestler. I know it's not a huge discrepancy in weight but it certainly makes (made) a difference.

He won his match on Saturday by fall in 3:24

Raimo is in the Portal!

200.gif

Assuming there is mutual interest and the money makes sense, I can't see how we wouldn't be able to close him with a huge hole at 133 and with his friend/former teammate Oliveri coming in next year.

Reactions: koleszar
What weight would Raimo wrestle?
He wrestled 125 his freshman year(19'-20') but looks to have out grown the weight as he wrestled at 60 kg(basically 133) this past year in Greco Roman. The coincidence here is uncanny. Our 133lber can't make weight any longer and now he decides to transfer.

He wrestled 125 his freshman year(19'-20') but looks to have out grown the weight as he wrestled at 60 kg(basically 133) this past year in Greco Roman. The coincidence here is uncanny. Our 133lber can't make weight any longer and now he decides to transfer.
Any thoughts on what weights Alvarez and Rivera wrestle?

ADVERTISEMENT