ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Oliveri loses to Hummel and didnt look very good. He had nothing going offensively and gave up a big move to get put on his back for points.

And now White loses to Ruiz 7-3.. RU recruits having a very poor finals showing thus far. Every time White got in on a shot, he couldnt finish and gave up a take down.

Oliveri losses big. Did not look good. Not a good look for RU recruiting

That seems excessive for a preseason tournament, but I have a feeling Oliveri will be fine. He seemed a bit cocky and got careless / in a bad position and it cost him unfortunately.

Hummel lost to the guy that finished 7th via forfeit and whom Oliveri beat easily earlier today. Things happen but hopefully he learns from it.

Last edited:
Oliveri losses big. Did not look good. Not a good look for RU recruiting
Oliveri loses to Hummel and didnt look very good. He had nothing going offensively and gave up a big move to get put on his back for points.
And now White loses to Ruiz 7-3.. RU recruits having a very poor finals showing thus far. Every time White got in on a shot, he couldnt finish and gave up a take down.
That seems excessive for a preseason tournament, but I have a feeling Oliveri will be fine. He seemed a bit cocky and got careless / in a bad position and it cost him unfortunately.

Hummel lost to the guy that finished 7th via forfeit and whom Oliveri beat easily earlier today. Things happen but hopefully he learns from it.
I'm disappointed by their results too (more so by Olivieri, as he's a 2x NJSIAA state champ, whereas White has never won it), but it's really hard to judge many of these kids right now, since they haven't wrestled/trained as much and have really erratic practice schedules and partners for almost a year with things being shutdown a bunch. White lost 0-3 to Ruiz in Nov 2020 with Ruiz scoring a last second takedown, so that's 2 in a row after White beat him at states. Olivieri needs to open it up more on O, as he sometimes looks at countering more than scoring off his own shots.

Now that is a kid who will rock the RAC. Just pinned.Craft who switched from Princeton to Cornell. Hope Soldano moves translate to college wrestling. Soldano, Poz, Turley, and Boone or Hamilton will bring excitement to our upper weights.

Last edited:
It was a wild and funky sequence that started with a Soldano shot, which ended up with him giving up two and almost on his back... only to have him roll through (some sort of elevator) and throw Craft onto his back for the fall. Unbelievable sequence.
If you’ve watched his matches that is pretty much the norm for him. He’s super funky and works out of a lot of bad positions. I am sure he will get caught a few times in his career but he makes it work 95% of the time. And he’s exceptional on top with his crab ride.

If you’ve watched his matches that is pretty much the norm for him. He’s super funky and works out of a lot of bad positions. I am sure he will get caught a few times in his career but he makes it work 95% of the time. And he’s exceptional on top with his crab ride.
Yup, I feel like I say he's in a terrible position very often during his matches but it always seems to work out for him and he will only continue to get better/stronger. Only a junior as well.

Craft isn't a random bum either being at Blair and a Cornell commit (was a Princeton commit at one time as well) so it's just super impressive to see him pull it off against elite national competition as well.

Reactions: Leonard23
Is Soldano going to be the #1 recruit in his weight class as a senior? Top 10 P4P? Kid is the 2nd best wrestler in the state behind Dean Peterson and I’m not sure there’s a noticeable gap between them.

Reactions: RU23
At this time, he will be ranked #2 or #3 in the junior class. Jack Wehmeyer who recently beat him will be #1. Ryan Rogers of Blair is currently ahead of him. Wehmeyer is committed to Columbia. Rogers recently posted his list of schools and they are the top wrestling schools. Craft who Soldano beat is ranked # 7 at 170. We are getting a good one in Soldano.

Last edited:
Is Soldano going to be the #1 recruit in his weight class as a senior? Top 10 P4P? Kid is the 2nd best wrestler in the state behind Dean Peterson and I’m not sure there’s a noticeable gap between them.
There’s a good chance Soldano will be a top 10 p4p recruit for his class before he graduates.. he goes to all the tournaments and you can tell, by the way he wrestles, he will be a stud right away in college.

Reactions: njsportsphan
So he’s probably going to be the best recruit Rutgers has ever had. Obviously there were the accolades of Ashnault, but I don’t think he was ranked as high as he should have been.

So he’s probably going to be the best recruit Rutgers has ever had. Obviously there were the accolades of Ashnault, but I don’t think he was ranked as high as he should have been.
Soldano is currently #12 p4p in jr class(good change it goes up for sr class)... Ashnault was the #8 recruit of his class.. in a amazing class...we didn’t recruit Suriano but he was #3 for his class.... and technically the highest class recruit we ever had is currently #6 Aragona..

Reactions: Clearscreen25
There’s a good chance Soldano will be a top 10 p4p recruit for his class before he graduates.. he goes to all the tournaments and you can tell, by the way he wrestles, he will be a stud right away in college.
What weight class will he be at? My opinion he's a 174. Rutgers is gonna have Soldano,Turley, Poznanski and Janzer for 3 weights. Most will say put Turley 184 and Poznanski 197 but both wouldve to get way bigger to make that happen

What weight class will he be at? My opinion he's a 174. Rutgers is gonna have Soldano,Turley, Poznanski and Janzer for 3 weights. Most will say put Turley 184 and Poznanski 197 but both wouldve to get way bigger to make that happen
We’re 2 years away from this occurring. It’s not even worth speculating about who goes where. If the biggest issue is having a talented wrestler on the bench, that’s not a bad thing.

Reactions: Oracle68 and elvis7
Let's be honest, unless Janzer develops some offense there really won't be much a discussion if either Poz or Soldano feel good at 197... but like everyone else has said that is a good problem to have and those are the type of problems we WANT to have as a program.

Best part of this year is that Poz still has 4 years left after this if he doesn't redshirt at any point and that's another year with him & Soldano back to back.

We’re 2 years away from this occurring. It’s not even worth speculating about who goes where. If the biggest issue is having a talented wrestler on the bench, that’s not a bad thing.
It's a great problem to have and that's what happens as a program moves up the ladder. It's a message board used to discuss wrestling nothing was being talked about so I thought I would see what fans think. Guess I will just speculate by myself. Sorry I don't have any gossip about alcohol or drugs use

Soldano is still growing. His brother is a lot taller, so that could be an indication of things to come. The way he's performing from the jump at 160 is unreal.

If Janzer steps into 197 and develops more offensive shots he'll be an AA. So many people have already given up on him. He's going to be practicing more with Poz and our heavyweights (whom are all getting better).

I really think Goodie would redshirt Soldano.

All that said, it's tricky with this free year. So even if Soldano did redshirt there would be an overlapping year, unless he greyshirted. Billy would also have a year with Soldano and would be a Grad Student, so he'd know where his place is when that time comes. At least he'd hit the portal if he felt it was the right move.

The same "issue" could arise if we have Boone, Kyonte, Mullen (I know he didn't commit to RU, let alone wrestling), and now O'Donnell at Heavyweight.

Reactions: west2east
Soldano is still growing. His brother is a lot taller, so that could be an indication of things to come. The way he's performing from the jump at 160 is unreal.

If Janzer steps into 197 and develops more offensive shots he'll be an AA. So many people have already given up on him. He's going to be practicing more with Poz and our heavyweights (whom are all getting better).

All that said, it's tricky with this free year. So even if Soldano did redshirt there would be an overlapping year, unless he greyshirted. Billy would also have a year with Soldano and would be a Grad Student, so he'd know where his place is when that time comes. At least he'd hit the portal if he felt it was the right move.

The same "issue" could arise if we have Boone, Kyonte, Mullen (I know he didn't commit to RU, let alone wrestling), and now O'Donnell at Heavyweight.
I'm concerned that if Kyonte is serious about competing in two sports, he may end up being disappointed in both. I think he's going to have to make a choice soon, it's just too hard to be great unless you're focused year-round. IMO

I'm concerned that if Kyonte is serious about competing in two sports, he may end up being disappointed in both. I think he's going to have to make a choice soon, it's just too hard to be great unless you're focused year-round. IMO

I agree. Although his team is fully confident that he could get the job done as a dual athlete. Regardless, I think he'll be an upgrade from anyone that we had over the last 5 years. D1 B10 is an extremely talented pool at heavyweight. Though the top 4 hammers (excluding Kirk [Gable, Paris, Tony C, Hillger] will be upperclassmen at least.

Does anyone know if Kyonte's redshirt is only applicable to football since he's on a football scholarship? I'm hoping he can redshirt for wrestling just to adjust a little to the size and strength of the weight class. He was real dominant at 220, but at Who's #1 struggled. The kid he lost to was no slouch and I know that his training has been off schedule with Covid. Just hope he gets the time to acclimate to Big10.

Thanks for the insight as I'm not a Rutgers fan.

I agree. Although his team is fully confident that he could get the job done as a dual athlete. Regardless, I think he'll be an upgrade from anyone that we had over the last 5 years. D1 B10 is an extremely talented pool at heavyweight. Though the top 4 hammers (excluding Kirk [Gable, Paris, Tony C, Hillger] will be upperclassmen at least.

Does anyone know if Kyonte's redshirt is only applicable to football since he's on a football scholarship? I'm hoping he can redshirt for wrestling just to adjust a little to the size and strength of the weight class. He was real dominant at 220, but at Who's #1 struggled. The kid he lost to was no slouch and I know that his training has been off schedule with Covid. Just hope he gets the time to acclimate to Big10.

Kyonte has 5 years to play 4 in Football and has 5 years to wrestle 4. He could redshirt his Frosh year in Football and compete as a true Frosh in wrestling.(The redshirt does not have to happen the same year as Football).

Wow, Mullen just pinned #1 Chase Horne at the NLWC freestyle event!

I know we say this a lot, but he is a must have recruit for us just like Soldano was. Can't let him leave the state.

Last edited:

I know we say this a lot, but he is a must have recruit for us just like Soldano was. Can't let him leave the state.
Great win for Jim! Any idea if he is interested in RU and if we have a relationship with him?

Great win for Jim! Any idea if he is interested in RU and if we have a relationship with him?
Can’t legally recruit until an athlete is a junior so there’s likely been no contact. He does want to play football though which I’m sure we’d be willing to make work.

Reactions: RUMike
Shayne Van Ness with a 15-4 tf over Saunders. He looked very impressive. Our loss is Cael’s gain.

That's if he wrestles! But I agree. Kid is spectacular. He was offered a scholarship for football already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT