ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Bouzakis is a must get hammer too. He destroys opponents.
Yeah, he made Nico Nardone look like absolute rag doll but I can't imagine we have any chance with him. There is just no connection and we don't have a history of pulling top p4p wrestlers especially from out of state.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Mullen is a Jersey kid, thus some amount of chance but Bouzakis is a pipe dream.

Well, he's located in Lehigh Valley. Has NY and Florida roots. Two places that don't have many programs or if they do, spots are filled. His family (to my understanding) is in PA. He's a big family guy, so who better than RU? PSU is also filled up for the next few years.. If he's looking for Big10 action then RU should be a landing spot. I think he's got a tight bond with Ashnault too. He and Soldano would be a legendary recruiting class!

It would be nice but Mullen is only a sophomore. There will be a ton of roster turnover by the time Mullen is a true freshman and would have a redshirt option. No team in the country is filled up at any weight class with regards to that time frame.

Brandon Chletsos is wrestling in the PA AA Regional Championships today. He is 2-0 thus far with a MD and then a first period pin in the semis.

He will wrestle in the finals later this afternoon. It's on Flo as well.

Brandon Chletsos is wrestling in the PA AA Regional Championships today. He is 2-0 thus far with a MD and then a first period pin in the semis.

He will wrestle in the finals later this afternoon. It's on Flo as well.
He just pinned his opponent in the first place match in 1:02 to win his region. He almost pinned him in the first 10 seconds with a quick throw.

In the Maryland State Championship, Kyonte won his first bout by fall in 2:26 and his second bout by TF 18-3. He wrestles for first later today.

EDIT: It looks the Maryland State championships are by club, not by high school. It was open to all Maryland wrestlers with no qualifying required for this year.

Reactions: MS-RU
He just pinned his opponent in the first place match in 1:02 to win his region. He almost pinned him in the first 10 seconds with a quick throw.
Yup. He hasn't had a competitive match all season.

He heads to the super regions next week before the state tournament, which will look much different this year. There are now two super regions (East & West) so the top 4 from each super region will advance to the state tournament. He should be the #1 seed (I don't think PA seeds like that, but he will be the favorite) in the East. In the West, there is Jackson Arrington who is ranked #9 by Flo (Brandon is ranked #13) so there could be a bigtime showdown in Hershey.

Tough break for Dean Peterson as he will miss the HS season and won't become a 3xer.

Chletsos goes 3-0 with a pin and two decisions to win his super region. He did so without giving up a point. He advances to the 8 man state tournament. He will either be the 1 or 2 seed behind Jackson Arrington

This would be huge:

Will Betancourt - 2020 120lb PIAAA champ has Rutgers on list of schools. He would be transferring from Lock Haven.

Last edited:
This would be huge:

Will Betancourt - 2020 120lb PIAAA champ has Rutgers on list of schools. He would be transferring from Lock Haven.

Betancourt was ranked 15th at 120lbs last year. He was a 2020 graduate and went to Lock Haven. He did not wrestle in any matches this year(he entered the transfer Portal early on) 133 is a need for next year, so if he comes can only make it more competitive.

Does Aguilar stay? It seems like he's too small for 133. He was really good in 2019/2020. Hopefully he can turn things around in the off-season.

I would still love to have Raimo come back to Jersey. He had a very impressive highschool resume. Hopefully the Olivieri connection pulls him back. No point in sitting at ASU. They just got some seller lightweight recruits. So he's sandwiched between people with more experience vs bigger name recruits.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Brandon Chletsos is going for a PA state championship today!

He won his quaterfinal matchup this morning by TF (16-0) and moves into the semi-finals. I believe they are slated to start around 10am and is on Flo. He is currently on a collision course with #7 Jackson Arrington (NCSU commit) in the finals.

Brandon Chletsos is going for a PA state championship today!

He won his quaterfinal matchup this morning by TF (16-0) and moves into the semi-finals. I believe they are slated to start around 10am and is on Flo. He is currently on a collision course with #7 Jackson Arrington (NCSU commit) in the finals.

His power half is deadly. Going to be a tough match if he ends up facing Arrington.

#9 Brent Ungar (Cornell) vs. #8 Gary Steen (PSU) is coming up now on mat 2 in the 120 semis.

Ungar wins on a late TD with less than 10 seconds to go. He will meet the super freshman Mason Gibson, who is ranked #5 in the country, in the finals.

Last edited:
Chletsos loses in the finals to Arrington, the NC State (2x PIAA champ) recruit. Arrington won by major decision--controlling from top and had several takedown.

Tough match for Chletsos. He didn't look the same in this one but has definitely made strides and had an impressive season. He's got another year to win the title.

Last edited:
Who is that? Is he ranked in any polls? 😧
National definitely not, but he was ranked #6 by Full Circle and #9 by Flo at 145 in NJ.

He isn't a nobody or a slouch, but it's a bad loss for someone like Oliveri. His offensive woes are extremely concerning right now.

Reactions: Leonard23
I’m a firm believer in just wrestling your best weight without having to focus on cutting...we seen many wrestlers move up weights and have even more success so I don’t think that’s the issue.....this is a very concerning loss tho..
What do you think the percentage is of D1 wrestlers that don’t cut weight?less than 5%? it’s a huge part of the sport always has been.
That’s why God made saunas!

What do you think the percentage is of D1 wrestlers that don’t cut weight?less than 5%? it’s a huge part of the sport always has been.
That’s why God made saunas!
I’m talking bout wrestling at a weight where your main focus isn’t just cutting weight but mainly focusing on technique.. a good example is Rivera going 141. An example of a wrestler sucking too much weight is Alvarez.. really hope he doesn’t try 133 again next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT