ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Well the tournament isn't on Flo, but found some results showing that Soldano is currently 2-0 with wins over:

Ian Bush (7-5 dec) and Anothony Derosa (7-0 dec)

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Soldano beat #7 Cole Rees (4-3) in the semifinals and moves into the finals. He will face Jack Wehmeyer, who upset #2 Rylan Rodgers in the other semifinal so unfortunately we won't get to see that highly anticipated matchup.

Soldano loses 4-2 to Wehmeyer in the finals. Hell of a run for Wehmeyer knocking off Rodgers and now Soldano

Last edited:
Didn't realize it happened, but looks like Soldano wrestled last weekend at the Journeymen Battle of the Border. He shut out both nationally opponents (#9 at 170) Mulhauser and #7 Hanning in dominating fashion, 9-0 and 6-0 respectively

Noticed that Cetta wrestled as well and split his matches. He lost 9-4 vs #20 Rocco Camillaci but won 18-5 vs. Trevor Nugent.

Jim Mullen wrestled as well but dropped one of his matches too.

Didn't realize it happened, but looks like Soldano wrestled last weekend at the Journeymen Battle of the Border. He shut out both nationally opponents (#9 at 170) Mulhauser and #7 Hanning in dominating fashion, 9-0 and 6-0 respectively

Noticed that Cetta wrestled as well and split his matches. He lost 9-4 vs #20 Rocco Camillaci but won 18-5 vs. Trevor Nugent.

Jim Mullen wrestled as well but dropped one of his matches too.

Awesome that Soldano just beat Mulhauser. Mulhauser beat him a few months back, I believe.

Unsurprisingly, Soldano was at it again this weekend at the Tyrant Duals. He went 5-1 and his only loss was in SV to the #3 overall/P4P recruit Alex Facundo. He is obviously #1 at his weight, a senior, and heading to PSU. I didn't see the match but that's a hell of a showing for Soldano based on the score alone. He constantly proves he at the cusp of being a truly elite recruit and I would have to imagine by the time he is a senior he will get there. Always impressed by him taking on top competition from around the country seemingly every weekend.

He beat #13 TJ Stewart (Blair) this weekend as well.

Results:
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Grey) over Soren Herzog (Black Mambas) TF 15-0

182 - Alex Facundo (Team Donahoe) over Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Grey) SV-1 3-1

182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Grey) over Sam Cowher (Darkhorse) Fall 3:38

182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Grey) over TJ Stewart (Team Shutt) Dec 4-3

182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Grey) over Michael Long (Virginia Slaughterhouse) Fall 0:33

182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Grey) over James Conway (Warhawks Gamedogs) Maj 14-4

Unsurprisingly, Soldano was at it again this weekend at the Tyrant Duals. He went 5-1 and his only loss was in SV to the #3 overall/P4P recruit Alex Facundo. He is obviously #1 at his weight, a senior, and heading to PSU. I didn't see the match but that's a hell of a showing for Soldano based on the score alone. He constantly proves he at the cusp of being a truly elite recruit and I would have to imagine by the time he is a senior he will get there. Always impressed by him taking on top competition from around the country seemingly every weekend.

Results:

182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Grey) over Michael Long (Virginia Slaughterhouse) Fall 0:33

182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Grey) over James Conway (Warhawks Gamedogs) Maj 14-4
Taking Facundo to the end is impressive! Thanks for the update.

Results:

Can't wait to he arrives. Clearly finds a way to compete during COVID and will go anywhere for the best competition. He is the type of recruit we need.

Looks like he will be a good one. I am sure Donny is licking his chops waiting to groom him in workout when he arrives.

He does look to be a very good recruit. I hope he stays the course. He is on a path to be an even stronger recruit than Poz, who I think has been one of the very best additions to the program.

Hell definitely be better. Soldano is going to be a 3x state champ. Poz only had 1. Soldano wasn’t even remotely challenged during his state run, and it wasn’t because of lack of talent in his class. He’s just head and shoulders above everyone.

Similar to Poz last year but Soldano did it as a sophomore.

Let’s Go RU
No but I wish that was me so I could get residuals every time it runs! It is a labor of true love trying to provide all RU wrestling fans information I possess and my view of things. I am not perfect but whatever flaws I have exhibited occurred due to my love for the RU program.

Some of the top guys in NJ are wrestling at the Garden State Scrap this afternoon.

Also Kelly is ranked #2 at 182 in NJ by nearly every publication so it just goes to show you how large the gap is between Soldano and everyone else.

Not much action for really any of our commits recently, but did notice that Brandan Chletsos is 4-0 this year so far with 4 pins with an avg time of 30 seconds lol

1/13/21 132 vs. Aaron Gardner (Palmerton) W 0:18 (pin)
1/15/21 132 vs. Robert Curley (Bangor) W 0:15 (pin)
1/16/21 132 vs. Nate Armstrong (Palisades) W 0:15 (pin)
1/22/21 138 vs. Mason Beckowski (Saucon Valley) W 1:13 (pin)

Not much action for really any of our commits recently, but did notice that Brandan Chletsos is 4-0 this year so far with 4 pins with an avg time of 30 seconds lol

1/13/21 132 vs. Aaron Gardner (Palmerton) W 0:18 (pin)
1/15/21 132 vs. Robert Curley (Bangor) W 0:15 (pin)
1/16/21 132 vs. Nate Armstrong (Palisades) W 0:15 (pin)
1/22/21 138 vs. Mason Beckowski (Saucon Valley) W 1:13 (pin)

I believe he was supposed to wrestle at Powerade. Did he miss it with an injury or just decide to skip the event?

I believe he was supposed to wrestle at Powerade. Did he miss it with an injury or just decide to skip the event?

I'm not sure of the reason but it doesn't appear that anyone from ND-GP actually attended so it wasn't specifically related to him.

Reactions: brentx35
David Szuba beat Mullen recently from what I read on Flo & Trackwrestling. That's a quick turnaround from getting pinned making the adjustments.
That’s surprising. Szuba isn’t bad but I have him as a similar caliber recruit to Epperly. I never would have guessed he could beat Mullen

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
That’s surprising. Szuba isn’t bad but I have him as a similar caliber recruit to Epperly. I never would have guessed he could beat Mullen
Szuba is a much better prospect than Epperly. He moved up to HWT this off-season and has beaten many nationally ranked kids. He is in most rankers top 10 for Hwt

Szuba is a much better prospect than Epperly. He moved up to HWT this off-season and has beaten many nationally ranked kids. He is in most rankers top 10 for Hwt
That’s crazy. He’s Rider bound right? I have a friend who teaches at Brick Memorial who told me about Szuba being a stud like two years ago. I was kind of shrugged it off and then a few months later I watched him make a run to the state finals. I did not expect him to rise as far as he apparently has gotten. Good for him.

That’s crazy. He’s Rider bound right? I have a friend who teaches at Brick Memorial who told me about Szuba being a stud like two years ago. I was kind of shrugged it off and then a few months later I watched him make a run to the state finals. I did not expect him to rise as far as he apparently has gotten. Good for him.
It's really hard to evaluate many of these kids and results right now at youth, MS and HS levels with the long layoffs and erratic practices and competitions. Some never stopped wrestling over the past 11 months, while others didn't wrestle for 6+ months, then add to that practice partners may not be what some needed and it's a shit show.

Looking at the Virginia Tech roster and don't see Eddie Ventresca. Anyone know if he is in the portal? He'd be a great addition to the team for 125/133 depth.

I don't see Sammy making 133 after this season.

Last edited:
Looking at the Virginia Tech roster and don't see Eddie Ventresca. Anyone know if he is in the portal? He'd be a great addition to the team for 125/133 depth.

I don't see Sammy making 133 after this season.
Eddie is training at the SERTC this year with be with Va Tech next year

Reactions: west2east
The Mobbin Classic is scheduled for this upcoming Monday (2/15) on Rofkin and will feature some of the top guys in NJ including a handful of our commits.

Joey Oliveri is the #1 seed at 138
Anthony White is the #2 seed at 145 (Simon Ruiz is #1)
Brian Soldano is the #1 seed at 182

A very curious one is with Damien (not Dylan) Weaver listed as the #8 seed at 170 since he wrestled at 138 last year as a freshman... that's quite a step up. I'm also surprised not to see Dylan in the field. We haven't seen him compete in a very long time which is very curious.

Brackets can be found on Flo here

Oliveri gets the 14-6 MD over Chris Bacchioni (Bergen Catholic), who is ranked as high as 3rd in the state by some publications after he beat Hummel Tyrant Duals last month.

Anthony White gets the 4-0 dec over Nick Stampoulous. Quite the boring match where White probably had around 3-4 mins of ride time and the kid on the bottom didn't do much but wouldn't get turned.

ADVERTISEMENT