ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Andy Clark wins his 1st title with a 8-5 decision!

He is very good on top. He pretty much gets his guy on their backs eveytime he starts on top.

RU is 3 for 3 this far as well!
Congrats to Andrew Clark. #RollColls and on to Rutgers!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MS-RU
My picks for states, feel free to correct me if I have a guy not in the right weight class:

106 - Santaniello
113 - Klinsky
120 - Peterson
126 - Ventresca
132 - Olivieri
138 - Clark (though there’s legitimately 7 or 8 different kids who can win this weight)
145 - Clark
152 - Boggiano (prob my biggest reach pick)
160 - Soldano
170 - O’Neil
182 - Poz
195 - Cosgrove
220 - Jacob
285 - Gashi

Humble brag time. Picked these guys before districts. 10 champs, 2 runners up, 1 third, 1 fifth. Never would have guessed Ventresca would be the fifth placer.

Can’t tell you the last time a freshman won states at heavy. Mullen is another guy people here have speculated as being a Rutgers recruit. Hopefully the coaching staff gets in his ear about why Alvarez is doing at Rutgers.

It was the 1st time ever a freshman won at 285. That's super impressive.

Reactions: rpiseman
See a lot of top seeds in those picks lol.
Made the picks before the districts started. Didn’t even know who was seeded where.

Nice to see 4 Rutgers guys win though. Hopefully Weaver gets redemption next year and as far as I’m concerned, Soldano should be our most heavily recruited wrestler the next two years. That kid ran through his bracket with very little trouble and did it as a sophomore in an older weight class.

Made the picks before the districts started. Didn’t even know who was seeded where.

Nice to see 4 Rutgers guys win though. Hopefully Weaver gets redemption next year and as far as I’m concerned, Soldano should be our most heavily recruited wrestler the next two years. That kid ran through his bracket with very little trouble and did it as a sophomore in an older weight class.

Soldano's top game is excellent and only going to get better.We need him at Rutgers in the next couple of years.Hopefully with our Billy Smith connection we get him .

With Billy Smith as his assistant coach and him training at the SKWC, it would be a huge miss if we can't get him here.

Next year for Poz? Maybe. Really just depends on opportunity. Going to be a lot of fight in the practice room I hope. I can’t predict a single weight class with 100% certainty. Between redshirt options, incoming freshmen and transfers, guys like Kanniard, Vulakh, and Glasgow coming off redshirts and several guys with potential to bump up a weight class, there’s a lot of moving parts next season.

Next year for Poz? Maybe. Really just depends on opportunity. Going to be a lot of fight in the practice room I hope. I can’t predict a single weight class with 100% certainty. Between redshirt options, incoming freshmen and transfers, guys like Kanniard, Vulakh, and Glasgow coming off redshirts and several guys with potential to bump up a weight class, there’s a lot of moving parts next season.
I think Aguillar will start, and if he grows into 125 a bit more, adds some muscle, he will be a realistic All American threat. It was noticeable how much smaller he was than several of the top guys in his weight class.

Aguilar should start 125 but on the off chance that both Suriano and Rivera are on the roster there’s nowhere for him to go. One of those two guys would presumably be top 125 and the other 133.

But that’s a hypothetical that accounts for two guys not even on the roster right now so it’s really not even worth much thought.

I’m going to make a bold prediction that this Poz kid cracks the lineup at some point for RU 0__0

Guy is special and love that he’s putting Yale Street on the map.

If Janzer bumps up to 197, definitely a spot for Poz at 184.

I was kind of making a joke that went flat as he’s obviously going to start for RU at some point in his career.

His situation is a bit different than Aragona but I’m not even thinking about next years lineup. Let’s get him on campus first and see how it plays out in October.

Let's learn a lesson from Aragona's season.Have Poz go to the opens and see how he progresses overall before pulling the trigger.Regardless of how he does in wrestle offs.
A lot of teams have been doing this... where they keep the RS on then pull it mid season. ie: Abe Assad, kevin Jack

Reactions: koleszar
A lot of teams have been doing this... where they keep the RS on then pull it mid season. ie: Abe Assad, kevin Jack
I think it's a brilliant move. You get to see how they acclimate to college life and college wrestling. If they handle the work load well and could potentially qualify for NCAA's or AA you pull it. If they're struggling with the workload/competition then keep the redshirt not wasting a year. Wrestling a true freshman and blowing the redshirt right off the bat is a stupid move, unless he shows he's blowing everyone away in the room.

Reactions: KidDagger
Not really a surprise but Poz was named MOW at the state championships and most recently NJ.coms's Wrestler of the Year.

Great excerpt from the article:

"Poznanski finished the year 40-0 with 30 falls, the last four pins coming in the state tournament – including in the second period over Colts Neck’s Luke Rada in the championship match.

“This season was the perfect season,” said Poznanski. “It’s better than I could have ever wanted.”

Not only was Poznanski’s record perfect, he didn’t give up an offensive point all season. Coach Dan Grasso said he knew once Poznanski won the Beast of the East without being scored on, it was going to be a truly special year.

“If you’re that confident you might be in the wrong line of business, but the way he competed in the Beast of the East Tournament we thought was a look into the future,” said Grasso. “He took on the top the East Coast had to offer and he wasn’t really challenged. The matches were more intense, but he didn’t get taken down.

"John is known as a really offensive wrestler, but that defensive half of the game was really strong too. To not get taken down at the Beast of the East was kind of hard to do.”

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...njcom-wrestler-of-the-year-for-2019-2020.html

I don't have premium access to InterMat, but saw this tweet and it was interesting to see Jim Mullen ranked #3 in nation in the freshman class. He is an absolute must get for us. Need to find a way to get him to RU by any means necessary, which will probably be another Wrestling & Football collaboration.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
I also noticed Flo has updated their 2021 big board

Commits:
Kyonte: #4 (jumped up from #10)
Olivieri: #27

Both of these guys are absolute studs and adding in some of the guys below would make for a spectacular class especially if we see Weaver get settled at 152 and make the jump to the next level.

Potential Targets:
SVN: #2
Jordan Titus (NY): #20
Nate Schon (PA): #30
Ungar (PA): #33
V. Santaniello: #58
Dunnigan: #67

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6031579-2021-high-school-big-board/36139-junior-big-board

Santaniello has a Sammy Alvarez type story building. Santaniello has a rivalry with Dean Peterson the same way Alavrez had one with Howard. Peterson originally said last year he planned on bulking up so I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up in a bigger weight class but I’d really like to see Vin get one more crack at Peterson in the finals.

I don't have premium access to InterMat, but saw this tweet and it was interesting to see Jim Mullen ranked #3 in nation in the freshman class. He is an absolute must get for us. Need to find a way to get him to RU by any means necessary, which will probably be another Wrestling & Football collaboration.

Mullen is an excellent football player. Augie Hoffman called him one of the best freshman he's ever had. If Augie's saying that, this kids future is a full ride to the football school of his choice. For you old timer's this seems to be a Tony Siragusa, Dave Szott or Kevin Arline situation.

Reactions: MS-RU
SVN, Schon, Ungar, and Santaniello have all been here on official visits and been to matches. No one can say the coaches aren’t busting their butts. These kids are really good. Although, I like Hamilton a lot more than Schon. We are building a major program. Just need to be patient. Hope we get 1 or 2 of these guys.

I’d be stunned if the Santaniello brothers don’t end up at Rutgers. Goodale is always dropping positive comments about the Shore Thing wrestling club which is owned by the boys father. Shore Thing has sent guys like Theobold, Richie Lewis, and Eckloff to us in recent years. I believe Ashnault trained there for a little bit and our current recruiting coordinator Kyle Kiss is also an alum.

Ungar is a realistic target and fits the timeline very well if he’s planning on going 125 in college. SVN might be wishful thinking but I don’t think it’s totally unlikely. There’s a connection there.

I was either the whole family when the brothers and family were at the Ashnault tailgate last year at one of the early football games. Nice family

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Looks like all of our current 2021 commits and then some will be at Escape The Rock next year.

2021 Escape the Rock Field

Full Team Entries
Abington
Beat the Streets - Philly entry
Bellefonte
Bethlehem Catholic
Bullis School MD
Canon-McMillan
Caravel Academy DE
Chambersburg
Council Rock North
Council Rock South
Delaware Valley
Easton
Father Judge
Great Bridge VA
JW Robinson VA
Kingsway NJ
LaSalle OH
Legacy Christian OH
Malvern Prep
New Kent VA
Northampton
Notre Dame - Green Pond
Osceola FL
Owen J Roberts
Palisades
Paulsboro NJ
Quakertown
Seneca Valley
Southern Columbia
Spring-Ford
St. Christopher's VA
St. Joseph's Regional NJ
State College
Stroudsburg
West Chester Henderson
Williamstown NJ

Partial Team Entries
Battlefield VA
Broad Run VA
Central Bucks West
Christian Brothers Academy NJ
Colonial Forge VA
Conwell-Egan
Downingtown East
Fauquier VA
Georgetown Prep DC
Glendale
Greeneville TN
Hanover Park NJ
Heritage VA
Hill School
Holy Spirit NJ
Kinnelon NJ
Lyndhurst NJ
Neshaminy
Pope John XXIII NJ
St. Peter's Prep NJ
Tuscarora VA
Woodbridge VA

http://www.escapetherock.org/field-announcement.html

The Rutgers Depth Chart has been updated and has been entered in the Sticky Threads. Big thanks to Obrats for creating this. As the roster changes, I will be editing the spreadsheet.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
The Rutgers Depth Chart has been updated and has been entered in the Sticky Threads. Big thanks to Obrats for creating this. As the roster changes, I will be editing the spreadsheet.

Happy to have it back. Is Vulakh expected to be healthy? Back problems can be chronic. From last year's early reports, it sounded like Ryan would be a starter. Obrats predicts Angelo as the starter going forward.

I see Turley moving up in weight. If he can't beat Grello, I wonder if he'll choose to redshirt this year. Last year was unfortunate.

I would think Poz will be the 184 unless there's an addition coming that I don't know about. I think he's up to the task.

I hope to see Suriano back for his senior year. His future will be better served by completing his degree. It won't be a popular thing to say, but I don't think he can make the Olympic team given the competition there and it being freestyle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT