ADVERTISEMENT

RU/MARYLAN WRESTLING PREVIEW

wngarbarini

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 4, 2006
Maryalnd Terps come to town with a rather young team and a 4 win 9 loss record. They have beaten Drexel 24-10, Hofstra 24-13, Michigan State 26-10 and Davidson 40-3. Their losses were to Indiana 26-13, Minnesota 26-12, Illinois 34-9, Pitt 16-15, Buffalo 19-13, Purdue 32-6, Navy 24-18, Iowa 36-9 and Nebraska 30-9. Their 3 ranked wrestlers are Geoffrey Alexander # 15, Lou Mascola (NJ kid) # 18 and Dawson Peck #24. Scott Delvecchio beat him in the dual last year and Joey Palmer of Oregon State beat him this year (Giraldo beat Palmer this year). In head to head bouts this year, Billy Smith beat Peck twice 8-2 and 5-0 at the Midlands. Gravina beat Snook 10-2 at Midlands and Smith 7-2 at Midlands. We should be favored but can't just mail it in and will need top effort from our kids.

125 McCabe vs Michael Beck
133 Giraldo vs Geoffrey Alexander
141 Ashnault vs Billy Rappo or Alan Banister
149 Dippery vs Wade Hodges
157 Lewis vs Lou Mascola
165 Perrotti vs Brendan Burnham
174 Bakuckas vs John Snook
184 Gravina vs Jaron Smith
197 Hrymack vs Garrett Wesneski
285 Smith vs Dawson Peck

Reactions: dollarbill
I'm surprised Shyheim Brown is not starting over Hodges at 149. Kid was 32-9 2012-13 in his redshirt year, 20-9 2013-14 and qualified for NCAA. Last year was 17-13 with a win over Dippery. Has wrestled in 3 tournaments this year but guess he can't beat Hodges (he is up a weight this year).

Was high school teammates with Dippery.

There was a nice article in the papers about RU reducing the deficit subsidy and the increase in wrestling season ticket sales was cited. We have 3 home meets left and have a chance to break the season record attendance for wrestling. Please try to encourage anyone you can to attend the next 3 so we can do our part and reap the benefits.

A few years back RU & Maryland were ranked about even. Looks like we have pulled ahead since joining the B!G. Hopefully we prove that on Friday.

I saw the 157lb'er, Lou Mascola wrestle many times while he was at Seton Hall Prep. Tough kid. 5th year senior. The Lewis - Mascola match up should be a good one.

Reactions: RUBOWLMAN78
Has BTN2Go ever been on time?
I saw it flicker for a second...but no broadcast

Ash vs Bannister , also a 2x Beast winner, and something like 200-0 in HS in Maryland

Ashnault fades at the end, gets reversed, but escapes and hold on for the 7-5 win. RU up 7-3

149 Pounds: Tyson Dippery (#RUWR) toughs out a 4-0 win over Ryan Diehl (UMD). No. 12 RU leads UMD, 10-3.

RU's Richie Lewis w a 5-3 win over NCAA qualifier (top 32) Mascola (via Seton Hall Prep), RU leads 13-3 at Intermission.

At this point I don't see Ashnault getting an AA in March, he's regressing.
I was just going too say that.He looked very disinterested out there and I think he is burnt out.Giraldo got caught early,unfortunately( I actually thought he was pinned).Dippery lookeds pretty strong out there and seemed too dictate the tie ups.McCabe and Lewis just get better and better with every match.

I thought Giraldo was pinned as well.
Is Ashnault 100%? He has proven he can be an All American and I expect him to be there again this year
It looks like it is between his ears.
The Maryland wrestler was a turtle the 1st 3 minutes and i think that threw him off.

Lewis looked real strong.

I like this kid TJ Curran commentating.I've spoken too him a couple of times and he's a real nice kid.Not a student of the sport,but seems to try to catch up on the knowledge of mat wrestling and do the program some justice.Sean Deidyn and Danny Bresslauer are my favorite one two punch,but I believe they moved on to some great career opportunities.

I thought Giraldo was pinned as well.
Is Ashnault 100%? He has proven he can be an All American and I expect him to be there again this year
It looks like it is between his ears.
The Maryland wrestler was a turtle the 1st 3 minutes and i think that threw him off.

Lewis looked real strong.
Totally agree.The kid Ashnault wrestled was no slouch,but he certainly isn't a ,Jack,Mecate or Heil level.Give AA some time too recoup.He might of not taken this kid too seriously and might have the mid season slugs ( being sluggish in the mid season)

Whats with this kid,wrestling Perrotti? Is he wearing the Madonna "Like a Virgin" starter kit for men..Geez?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT