ADVERTISEMENT

RU/WISCONSIN MATCH PREVIEW

wngarbarini

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 4, 2006
I attended the RU wrestling practice today and the workout was brutal and intense. The boys got after it in a very spirited way. Friday night will be an intense effort so I hope we get a very good crowd to attend. We are ranked anywhere from 8 to 10 as a team after our close loss to Minny up there. Hopefully we have Lewis and Haden back so we are at full strength. The boys are psyched up for Friday.

Wisky comes in struggling a bit for them with a 1-4 recrd and 0-3 in the Big Ten. They beat UW-Whitewater 43-0 and lost to Pitt 25-9, PSU 36-7, Nebraska 29-11 and Iowa 31-3. They are led by # 7 Ryan Taylor at 133 and Ike Jordan at 165 who is ranked 3rd in the country and is unbeaten at 15-0. The big matchups are at 133 between our Giraldo and Taylor and a rematch at 165 between our Perrotti and Jordan. Jordan beat AP 2 years ago for the 7/8 place at the NCAAs 2-0 with an escape and time advantage by riding Anthony out the whole period.

Probable Lineups:

125 McCabe vs Johnny Jimenez
133 Giraldo vs Ryan Taylor
141 Ashnault vs Gabe Grahek or Luke Rowh
149 Dippery vs Ryan Lubeck or Andrew Crone
157 Lewis vs TJ Ruschell
165 Perrotti vs Issac Jordan
174 Bakuckas vs Ricky Robertson
184 Gravina vs Ryan Christensen
197 Hrymack vs Eric Peissing
285 Smith vs Brock Horwath

Robertson is a very tough kid and beat Phil last year I believe.

Was looking at the match ups earlier and I like our chances. Look forward to the match only thing that will keep me away is the weather if it's bad.

Perrotti- Jordan will be the highlight of the match. I'm looking forward to this pairing big time. They could see each other in the Big 10 tourny and NCAAs as well.

I want to see a dominant performance from AA, and am looking forward to seeing Gravino again.
Hope this our biggest attendance yet, and that the snow holds off until after 7pm.

holding out on buying tickets for another day or so due to the weather. hopefully the snow holds off.

CZI71lBXEAAm430.jpg

Rutgers should be strong favorites. Hope everyone is healthy and the weather doesn't interfere.

I like Giraldo in this one.I think with his long length and relentless leg attacks,he's going too give Taylor fits.This is a key match for him,because he hasn't moved up in rankings( although he should have,beating Hall).AP better bring his A game,because Issac Jordan is a friggin beast this year.If he comes in"huh hum",he's gonna get schooled..big time! Andy Crone is no one Dippery should overlook either.The kid has lost very close, too some tough competition.I'm also interested too see if PB can get back too Midlands form and beat Robertson.He,like Smith,has a mental block,and has got too believe he can consistently attack and score.When Phil's on,he's pretty lethal.Everyone else,I don't see as a real threat too us.I would think Scott and Donnie are wrestling the kids tough in practice,but being very cautious to aggravating existing or healed injuries.I would actually sit Gravina on this one.Michigan is right around the corner,and Pafumi could beat Christensen.Having Richie L back will be pinnacle too.

I like Giraldo in this one.I think with his long length and relentless leg attacks,he's going too give Taylor fits.This is a key match for him,because he hasn't moved up in rankings( although he should have,beating Hall).AP better bring his A game,because Issac Jordan is a friggin beast this year.If he comes in"huh hum",he's gonna get schooled..big time! Andy Crone is no one Dippery should overlook either.The kid has lost very close, too some tough competition.I'm also interested too see if PB can get back too Midlands form and beat Robertson.He,like Smith,has a mental block,and has got too believe he can consistently attack and score.When Phil's on,he's pretty lethal.Everyone else,I don't see as a real threat too us.I would think Scott and Donnie are wrestling the kids tough in practice,but being very cautious to aggravating existing or healed injuries.I would actually sit Gravina on this one.Michigan is right around the corner,and Pafumi could beat Christensen.Having Richie L back will be pinnacle too.

I think Ryan Taylor is going to be too much for Giraldo. If I remember correctly he tech'd DelVechio last year. He wrestles a very punishing pace and may be too much for Giraldo. I hope I'm wrong.

I think Ryan Taylor is going to be too much for Giraldo. If I remember correctly he tech'd DelVechio last year. He wrestles a very punishing pace and may be too much for Giraldo. I hope I'm wrong.
I disagree.DelVecchio and Giraldo,have too completely different wrestling styles.Scotty D comes straight forward and engages a wrestler,where Taylor likes too be.Giraldo tends too stay away and shot from the outside.and with Taylor coming forward,may give Giraldo great set ups.Who knows. Giraldo may come and get crushed,with Taylor's high pace.I highly doubt that,but we all thought Ash was going too cake walk Thorn.Giraldo has got too be poised and disciplined against a kid likeTaylor.One thing I will say is that AG's defense is much better than SD's

Taylor has been injured this year and only wrestled 3 matches but he's extremely good. spent the 2nd half of last season as the number 2 ranked 133 pounder. if he is healthy he will be a big favorite over Giraldo. but with his length and style I could see AG with an upset. should be a fun if nerve wracking bout.

all the matches should be competitive. Wisconsin is a very solid program (ask Donny P!) and I wouldnt predict cake walks for anyone. there are bonus point opportunities for several RU wrestlers but I doubt they come easy.

Remember folks the match Friday is a blackout so show up in black and pass the word to friends.

Remember folks the match Friday is a blackout so show up in black and pass the word to friends.
Bill,whats the mood in the room lately?I thought I read somewhere that boys are gearing up and wrestling hard.We relatively healthy across the board?

I'm just hoping it isn't a White Out from the snow! lol, I got Lower Level , mid mat, Row A tickets from a good friend, and have been looking forward to this match for weeks. Fingers crossed the snow holds off til Saturday !

Credo
Mood is great. They are pissed at Minny results and worked like dogs this week. Hopefully all are healthy and on point Friday.

Can Correnti gain enough good weight in the next 2 seasons to be a top 20 Heavy, say for the 17-18 season?

Will Normandia be a competitive Heavy next season, say .500 in Big 10 action?

Will coach G look for a transfer?

Saw Correnti at practice and he has a long frame which he could fill up. He looked like a 197 pounder to me.

Saw Correnti at practice and he has a long frame which he could fill up. He looked like a 197 pounder to me.

Assuming Correnti goes 197, and Mulligan goes 184, the best case scenario would be for either Grello or Donner to drop to 165 and one goes 174. If I had to guess I would say Grello drops down. Boy if they could all be relatively healthy and stay on weight that could be a very nice 4 weights in a row in 2 years.

I agree, Donner might not be on the same level as the others but if you told me Gravina would be as good as he is in just 2 years I can only imagine what that can do with him. You would have to think that they all wont redshirt next year and at least one of them gets thrown into the fire. Future looks bright. And I would be all over there teammates as well. ( Shane Griffith)

Man, i hope the snow stays away until after the match... It'll be tough ride back to Philly.

Man, i hope the snow stays away until after the match... It'll be tough ride back to Philly.

I'm hoping the same, coming from Gloucester County. I think it is looking good, fingers crossed.

I attended the Bound Brook vs. Phillipsburg dual last night and saw two Rider coaches in attendance. I REALLY hope that Goodale et al. are recruiting the two Bound Brook stars - Mekhi Lewis (145) and Stephen Glascow (152). I was really impressed with the former last night. Great rider.

I attended the RU wrestling practice today and the workout was brutal and intense. The boys got after it in a very spirited way. Friday night will be an intense effort so I hope we get a very good crowd to attend. We are ranked anywhere from 8 to 10 as a team after our close loss to Minny up there. Hopefully we have Lewis and Haden back so we are at full strength. The boys are psyched up for Friday.

Wisky comes in struggling a bit for them with a 1-4 recrd and 0-3 in the Big Ten. They beat UW-Whitewater 43-0 and lost to Pitt 25-9, PSU 36-7, Nebraska 29-11 and Iowa 31-3. They are led by # 7 Ryan Taylor at 133 and Ike Jordan at 165 who is ranked 3rd in the country and is unbeaten at 15-0. The big matchups are at 133 between our Giraldo and Taylor and a rematch at 165 between our Perrotti and Jordan. Jordan beat AP 2 years ago for the 7/8 place at the NCAAs 2-0 with an escape and time advantage by riding Anthony out the whole period.

Probable Lineups:

125 McCabe vs Johnny Jimenez
133 Giraldo vs Ryan Taylor
141 Ashnault vs Gabe Grahek or Luke Rowh
149 Dippery vs Ryan Lubeck or Andrew Crone
157 Lewis vs TJ Ruschell
165 Perrotti vs Issac Jordan
174 Bakuckas vs Ricky Robertson
184 Gravina vs Ryan Christensen
197 Hrymack vs Eric Peissing
285 Smith vs Brock Horwath

Robertson is a very tough kid and beat Phil last year I believe.

PULL???? No electric start?
Because of the possibility of very high winds and heavy wet snow, which could lead to power outages, I tried to start our generator that we bought during Sandy. I don't think we ran it since Sandy. It's a pull start, and I got a good workout for 30 minutes, but could not get it to start.

Hey Bill, are Lewis and Hrymack good to go for Fri?

Yes they were yesterday when I was there. Yes we are all over Lewis from BB. He was down 1 day and worked out with Theo. Kid is tough. My friend who was a 2 time state champ and coached for over 35 years told me he is as good or better than Green or Burroughs at comparable times!

thats too bad. but Wisconsin was planning to head to Maryland after the Rutgers match and that also got postponed so looks like the canceled the whole trip.

They would not get on the plane and we were stone cold ready to kick their ass!

With the season Wisconsin is having they were probably looking for a reason not to come. Don't be surprised if the match is not made up.

Disappointed, plus my nephew was looking forward to his next set of player cards. Hope they give them out at a future match.

They would not get on the plane and we were stone cold ready to kick their ass!
Bill Garbarini on fire!! Love it.Apparently that fire is shared with the coaching staff and athletes.Now, all we have too do, is get some of these posters on here too take out their manpons and follow the script.

Thanks Creedo. I was really pissed cause there was no reason for this to happen. Wrestlers should not be pansies. Barry Davis is looking for a way out. If this was a year or two ago, Wisconsin would have walked here for the meet.

Thanks Creedo. I was really pissed cause there was no reason for this to happen. Wrestlers should not be pansies. Barry Davis is looking for a way out. If this was a year or two ago, Wisconsin would have walked here for the meet.
Rightfully so.Would love too be a fly on the wall,when Donnie discussed their backing out,with Leo,and Scott.

Good news for us is that, even if we were going to win this anyway, if we DID reschedule it for later in the year, we'd probably have some more healthy wrestlers.

For the record, I would have postponed if I was Wisconsin. Snow starts Friday during go-home traffic. I'm not getting stuck here with my team all weekend.

Here's a question I have though ... let's say Wisconsin was a team we had a great coaching and player relationship with (i.e. they weren't Iowa filled with a bunch of jerks). If Wiscy was stuck at Rutgers all weekend, are there any NCAA rules and regulations about teams practicing together after the match on the weekend? (Yes, yes, I know we can't even fit OUR team in our practice location, but let's forget that for a minute.)

Yea Bill, the Wisconsin wrestlers are Pansies. You really think the wrestlers and Coaches at Wisc made the decision not to come. Jeez, I know you are a huge fan, but you are acting nuts in this case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT