ADVERTISEMENT

RU Wrestling : Next up NorthEast Duels

Was Billy Smith not interested in competing in that match? Kind of surprised. Much smaller, much quicker ranked opponent beats him twice with inside hooks (feet trips) loses 9-3. RU wins though.28-10.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I Loved wrestling in HS ''as a fan''
Was Billy Smith not interested in competing in that match? Kind of surprised. Much smaller, much quicker ranked opponent beats him twice with inside hooks (feet trips) loses 9-3. RU wins though.28-10.
Agreed...i thought Smith would pull this out.

OK on where RU is ranked...two methods that conflict badly...Tournament or Dual meet. We should clearly be about 15th in dual meet ranking, but nearer to 20th in tournament. while AA is rock solid and getting better, Giraldo, Perrotti, & Smith all are top 20 but can be inconsistent. Smith needs to believe.

Overall a great day. We could have gone 3-0.

Reactions: Leonard23
Cabell A LOT quicker than Smith (although MUCH SMALLER). Not sure if a rematch would be any different.

Smith does not believe in himself with top 10 guys. gives way too much respect and freezes. I know him well and just wish he could get over the hump and go out with compllete abandon just once.

It seems MOST ranking services ( Flo, InterMat, The Open Mat, Wrestling Report, USA Today, NCAA coaches use tourny points for rankings, I do like Flo as they show both methods.)

OK on where RU is ranked...two methods that conflict badly...Tournament or Dual meet. We should clearly be about 15th in dual meet ranking, but nearer to 20th in tournament. while AA is rock solid and getting better, Giraldo, Perrotti, & Smith all are top 20 but can be inconsistent. Smith needs to believe.

Overall a great day. We could have gone 3-0.

It seems MOST ranking services ( Flo, InterMat, The Open Mat, Wrestling Report, USA Today, NCAA coaches use tourny points for rankings, I do like Flo as they show both methods.)
Intermat also has both for team rankings

The Oklahoma match was a travesty. Lewis turned his kid with a bar and half an the kid was flat on his back and pinned. He screamed that he was hurt which was a blatant lie. In fact he never showed and shoulder injury or discomfort. Flagrant acting job to save himself from being pinned. We ended up with 4 team points instead of 6 team points which would have given us the meet 20-19. Criminal!

Looks like AA had a very good day and how about Richie Lewis at 157! Very promising.

Very promising!! Hopefully some of his attitude rubs off on these guys...down 6-0 against a tough opponent and he just goes beast mode in that second period!!! AA is probably the most consistent wrestler here!! Not flashy...just a grinder...like how he's finishing strong in his matches against tough opponents!! He's also improved his riding 10 fold since last year!!

Smith does not believe in himself with top 10 guys. gives way too much respect and freezes. I know him well and just wish he could get over the hump and go out with compllete abandon just once.
OK a Modification...I did not recognize #9 Larson from Oklahoma was there with Billy Smith. Smith crushed him 8-1. So that is a nice quality win against top 10.

Great day, RU is a big ten team and starting to act like one. Who gives a shit about a dual meet win. Each match is a battle, each weight has pride.....giraldo had a weird day.....he is a AA contender......great day

Lawson win for Smith is nice. But Smith beat him 10-2 at NCAA and you can tell a difference in his aggression. He had none against Cabell.
Just think if we wrestled Theo at 149 this year. That would be our best team we had in years. Dippery may come around, I just think he needs to open his play book up a little bit. He isn't going to get that dump against B1G opponents let alone pin any of them with a tilt.

Smith wrestles Dhesi from Oregon State who went 3-0 at the Duals and beat up Cabell 11-5. OSU will be tough and beat UNI 23-12 and WVU 25-3. They lost to Nebraska 25-6 with wins at 125 with Bresser who is tough and Dhesi at 285 who crushed Jensen 13-7. The match with them could come down to Smith. Ugh.

Smith wrestles Dhesi from Oregon State who went 3-0 at the Duals and beat up Cabell 11-5. OSU will be tough and beat UNI 23-12 and WVU 25-3. They lost to Nebraska 25-6 with wins at 125 with Bresser who is tough and Dhesi at 285 who crushed Jensen 13-7. The match with them could come down to Smith. Ugh.
I know the season just started, but I'm wondering about next year's 285. Any info about options that Goodale is exploring?

Im sure Normandia will be the Hwt.....
Oregon Stat will be very tough. Going to need some upsets I think. they match up very well with us.

We tailgated next to Ralph and his family last weekend and got to talk a bit about wrestling. When he told us he was up to 245 we were a bit surprised as he hid it well, the kid is rock solid. Super nice as well. From Franklin HS, he mentioned Rahzonn Gross is also from Franklin but decided to go Parochial up north.

Im sure Normandia will be the Hwt.....
Oregon Stat will be very tough. Going to need some upsets I think. they match up very well with us.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Not to 'poo-poo' on Normandia, as I'm sure he is a fine young man and a dedicated member of the team, but I'm not sure if he'll be very successful at heavyweight.

Not to 'poo-poo' on Normandia, as I'm sure he is a fine young man and a dedicated member of the team, but I'm not sure if he'll be very successful at heavyweight.
That was my intention too. I was looking forward to Normandia at 197; he went toe to toe with Anthony Cassar, who has been competing well with the Evil Empire in Happy Valley. But I wonder how Normandia can compete against B1G heavies with the leverage one usyally sees in large-framed competitors, like Tony Nelson from Minnesota a few years ago. We may have no choice but to go with Normandia next year, unless a JUCO transfer emerges.
But how about Ashnault at #3 in today's Intermat rankings at 141?!!!

What a great weekend of wrestling. With a few exceptions, everyone wrestled really tough and aggressively, even in losses. We look a lot more like a Big Ten program this year than we did last year. In general the wrestling was encouraging and bodes well for the future. Below are a few thoughts on each wrestlers performance.

125- McCabe looked solid and will be a big asset this year as far as duals go.

133- I hope the weight cut to 133 isn't too difficult for Giraldo. By the end of the day he seemed a bit slower and weaker than his opponents. He didn't gas but he just wasn't sharp. Cutting too much weight literally dulls the senses and one's reaction times for anything besides a post weigh in cheeseburger in my experience. The kid Alber from UNI is very good but Giraldo majored him last year at the Midlands. For now, it just's seems like an outlier result since Giraldo looked great in the opening period vs. Brewer. Brewer by the way is awesome to watch. He has zero fear and reminds me of watching guys like Gene Mills who didn't care about giving up points as long as they had their hands raised at the end of the match.

141- Ashnault continues to improve (night and day from last year on top and to a lesser extent on bottom). He has a legit shot at a NCAA title. It will simply come down to whether he stays healthy and how he matches up style wise with the other elite 141 lbers.

149- I'm concerned about 149. I'll leave it at that.

157- Richie Lewis is a pleasure to watch wrestle. He wrestles with a controlled, very focused aggression and keeps his cool under pressure. I'm so excited to see where he will be in March after a season of D1 competition/drilling partners.

165- Perrotti is Perrotti, god love him. His style is funky and isn't always pretty but it can be very effective. I had a hunch he might cause problems for Ramos because I watched Ramos get beat last year by the funk master himself, NCAA finalist Taylor Walsh, and it followed the same pattern with Ramos taking shots and Walsh using funk to convert one of them into points and a near fall exposure. Perrotti doesn't throw as well as Walsh but he is, generally speaking, better at getting to the legs than Walsh was. Plus they both love to use the cradle.

174- Bakuckas needs to pull the trigger on his shots and commit more fully to them in the first period. Don't worry about giving up points. Effort is not the problem with him, it's in his noggin.

184- Gravina was a pleasant surprise. Nothing flashy, just a tough kid with solid skills. I hope he stays healthy for the season.

197- I was surprised Hayden got majored twice. I'm not too concerned about the OU match because it looks like their wrestler has jumped levels since the last year. The loss by major to UNC's Ness is a concern considering that just last week Hayden majored the kid from Binghamton that Ness beat on sunday 9-6. I'm hoping it was just an off day for Hayden.

285- Billy looks to be a bit better on his feet and to have improved his gas tank. I don't care about UNI match for now. I was surprised though that he wasn't more aggressive in the last period against Larson of OU Riding the guy on the edge of the mat for over a minute when we needed a tech or pin for the match win didn't make sense. I couldn't hear whether the coaches were telling Billy to cut him. I hope they were.

Ashnault looks as good as anyone else has at 141 this early in the season. will be interesting to see how he does in a rematch against Nebraska's Abidin in December's dual. that's followed up by the Midlands, which should be another great talent gauge.

top to bottom a very tough team this year. and enough depth to RS all the frosh and 2 of last year's starters that still had eligibility.

What a great weekend of wrestling. With a few exceptions, everyone wrestled really tough and aggressively, even in losses. We look a lot more like a Big Ten program this year than we did last year. In general the wrestling was encouraging and bodes well for the future. Below are a few thoughts on each wrestlers performance.

125- McCabe looked solid and will be a big asset this year as far as duals go.

133- I hope the weight cut to 133 isn't too difficult for Giraldo. By the end of the day he seemed a bit slower and weaker than his opponents. He didn't gas but he just wasn't sharp. Cutting too much weight literally dulls the senses and one's reaction times for anything besides a post weigh in cheeseburger in my experience. The kid Alber from UNI is very good but Giraldo majored him last year at the Midlands. For now, it just's seems like an outlier result since Giraldo looked great in the opening period vs. Brewer. Brewer by the way is awesome to watch. He has zero fear and reminds me of watching guys like Gene Mills who didn't care about giving up points as long as they had their hands raised at the end of the match.

141- Ashnault continues to improve (night and day from last year on top and to a lesser extent on bottom). He has a legit shot at a NCAA title. It will simply come down to whether he stays healthy and how he matches up style wise with the other elite 141 lbers.

149- I'm concerned about 149. I'll leave it at that.

157- Richie Lewis is a pleasure to watch wrestle. He wrestles with a controlled, very focused aggression and keeps his cool under pressure. I'm so excited to see where he will be in March after a season of D1 competition/drilling partners.

165- Perrotti is Perrotti, god love him. His style is funky and isn't always pretty but it can be very effective. I had a hunch he might cause problems for Ramos because I watched Ramos get beat last year by the funk master himself, NCAA finalist Taylor Walsh, and it followed the same pattern with Ramos taking shots and Walsh using funk to convert one of them into points and a near fall exposure. Perrotti doesn't throw as well as Walsh but he is, generally speaking, better at getting to the legs than Walsh was. Plus they both love to use the cradle.

174- Bakuckas needs to pull the trigger on his shots and commit more fully to them in the first period. Don't worry about giving up points. Effort is not the problem with him, it's in his noggin.

184- Gravina was a pleasant surprise. Nothing flashy, just a tough kid with solid skills. I hope he stays healthy for the season.

197- I was surprised Hayden got majored twice. I'm not too concerned about the OU match because it looks like their wrestler has jumped levels since the last year. The loss by major to UNC's Ness is a concern considering that just last week Hayden majored the kid from Binghamton that Ness beat on sunday 9-6. I'm hoping it was just an off day for Hayden.

285- Billy looks to be a bit better on his feet and to have improved his gas tank. I don't care about UNI match for now. I was surprised though that he wasn't more aggressive in the last period against Larson of OU Riding the guy on the edge of the mat for over a minute when we needed a tech or pin for the match win didn't make sense. I couldn't hear whether the coaches were telling Billy to cut him. I hope they were.

- Giraldo has so much potential. I was kind of bummed to c Alber, someone he majored last year, beat him. I think his best weight is 141 so maybe our best lineup next season is 33- Scotty D 41- Giraldo 49- Ashnault (he has the frame for it).

- On this note why don't we Pull Theobold's RS and have him at 49 this season (No guarantee Theobold starts 149 next year)? I think this would make for the best lineup both years if AA is willing to go 49 next season.

- I agree, AA Looks possessed. I really believe he is going to win 141 this year, If he stays healthy there is no doubt in my mind he will! This is a very deep and talented weight and as the season goes on AA will separate himself from the top contenders(cluster of top guys with no clear fav so far).

- Giraldo has so much potential. I was kind of bummed to c Alber, someone he majored last year, beat him. I think his best weight is 141 so maybe our best lineup next season is 33- Scotty D 41- Giraldo 49- Ashnault (he has the frame for it).

- On this note why don't we Pull Theobold's RS and have him at 49 this season (No guarantee Theobold starts 149 next year)? I think this would make for the best lineup both years if AA is willing to go 49 next season.

- I agree, AA Looks possessed. I really believe he is going to win 141 this year, If he stays healthy there is no doubt in my mind he will! This is a very deep and talented weight and as the season goes on AA will separate himself from the top contenders(cluster of top guys with no clear fav so far).

Next year, Theobold at 157?

Next year, Theobold at 157?

Would Theobold be big enough and effective at 57? What about Richie Lewis and also I heard Ronnie Gentile ain't too shabby and will be looking to crack the lineup. That's what I'm saying theres no guarantee for Theobold to start next season so y not consider pulling his RS this year. He can still AA this year.

Would Theobold be big enough and effective at 57? What about Richie Lewis and also I heard Ronnie Gentile ain't too shabby and will be looking to crack the lineup. That's what I'm saying theres no guarantee for Theobold to start next season so y not consider pulling his RS this year. He can still AA this year.

I think Lewis still has a redshirt he can use. Fielding the best lineup for the team, maximizing each wrestler's individual potential, balancing redshirts - it's all a big jigsaw puzzle.

Reactions: KidDagger
Ashnault needs to stay at 141. it will be a total different animal at 149. Dual meets I get it but as far as indv goals no way. I would love to see Theo pulled and put in at 149. This is Smiths last year and we take for granted that we will win most matches when they come down to Hwt. Lineup without Perotti and Smith next year will be a weaker one for sure.
Not sure where Scotty D will factor in because I think Giraldo is the better guy. Gentile needs to get on the mat and get some mat time, Staying healthy is very key with him as in most cases Also does anyone think Grello of Mulligan will go next year right out of the gate? I guess Grello would make sense to red shirt since we still have Bak but with Hayden moving on Mulligan might slide right into 97 perfectly.

These are great problems to have. At Iowa, many future AAs did not start in their first two years. We are moving up.

Ashnault needs to stay at 141. it will be a total different animal at 149. Dual meets I get it but as far as indv goals no way. I would love to see Theo pulled and put in at 149. This is Smiths last year and we take for granted that we will win most matches when they come down to Hwt. Lineup without Perotti and Smith next year will be a weaker one for sure.
Not sure where Scotty D will factor in because I think Giraldo is the better guy. Gentile needs to get on the mat and get some mat time, Staying healthy is very key with him as in most cases Also does anyone think Grello of Mulligan will go next year right out of the gate? I guess Grello would make sense to red shirt since we still have Bak but with Hayden moving on Mulligan might slide right into 97 perfectly.
Correnti may be an option at 197 as a frosh. He's wrestling 220 this year, but is he closer to 197 for Div 1 or does he project to move to 285? Anyone know Tyree Sutton's status? Is he actually at Nassau CC and wrestling? He didn't wrestle for Nassau at the Northeast Duals.

i wouldnt pull any redshirts. NCAA wrestling is currently set up so that all that matters is individuals qualifying for the NCAA tournament and then scoring points at the NCAA tournament. having dual meet wins or a strong dual meet team doesn't factor in. redshirting gives the individual wrestler an advantage (usually) to mature and develop and is advisable whenever possible. a very high percentage of big ten starters have a RS year.

I would pull a redshirt to avoid a forfeit or if a true frosh is an all american contender and there is no solid back up. Dippery is definitely competitive enough to warrant a RS for Theobold imo.

Correnti may be an option at 197 as a frosh. He's wrestling 220 this year, but is he closer to 197 for Div 1 or does he project to move to 285? Anyone know Tyree Sutton's status? Is he actually at Nassau CC and wrestling? He didn't wrestle for Nassau at the Northeast Duals.

I've done some research on this and it does not appear that he decided to go the college route.

I've done some research on this and it does not appear that he decided to go the college route.
If so, what a pity. A lot of talent, and a route to a college education. God willing, he may have a change of heart. If not, I hope the best for him and his life

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT