ADVERTISEMENT

RU Wrestling vs #4 Iowa Match Preview, Friday, 9pm, BTN TV

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
RU travels to Iowa for another very tough dual, this time taking on the #4 Iowa Hawkeyes. BTN TV will carry the action at 9pm est. I will use Flo rankings.

125- Shane Metzlar vs # 2 Spencer Lee. Another very tough matchup, seems all Metzlar has been seeing the past 2 weeks are highly ranked guys. Lee is one of the best P4P, was upset recently by Sebastian Rivera (NW), and some talk he's been sick (mono?), anyway, I think Lee will Tech Fall if not pin Metzlar. Iowa leads 5-0

133- #3 Nick Suriano vs #8 Austin DeSanto. Once again Nick Suriano is in the feature bout of the match. This time against the 'unpredictable' Austin DeSanto, who last week had a controversial win over ranked Ethan Lizak, due to his 'behavior' and 'antics'. Suriano lost in a controversial match against Daton Fix with a hands to face call. I'll give Suriano a decision in this match.
Iowa leads 5-3

141- Peter Lipari vs #19 Max Murin. Lipari has been coming very close upsetting ranked guys, but hasn't gotten over the hump yet. Murin is a true freshman. I'll give Murin a close decision.
Iowa leads 8-3

149- #2 Anthony Ashnault vs #16 Pat Lugo. Both guys wrestling at a high level, Lugo recently had a very close match against #1 Kolodznik. I'll give Ashnault a decision.
Iowa leads 8-6

157-#15 John Van Brill vs #5 Kaleb Young. JVB wrestling better as of late, Young has been wrestling terrific. I'm giving Young a decision.
Iowa leads 11-6

165- Stephan Glasgow vs #2 Alex Marinelli. Seemed Glasgow was cleared to wrestle this past Sunday, so I have him in lineup. Marinelli is on another level. I'll give Marinelli a Major Dec.
Iowa leads 15-6

174- Joe Grello/ Willie Scott vs Mitch Bowman- I think Grello probably gets the start, but Scott beat Bowman at the Midlands. I think either will beat Bowman in a close match. Grello, like JVB and Correnti, has shown steady improvement the past 3 weeks.
Iowa leads 15-9

184- #18 Nick Gravina/ Willie Scott/Pagano vs #17 Cash Wilke- I have no idea if Gravina wrestles. Normally if he was, I'd pick Gravina, but not at this point. I'm giving Wilke a win by dec. over any of the RU guys at 184.
Iowa leads 18-9

197- Matt Correnti vs #5 Jacob Warner- Athough I think Correnti is a very live underdog against the talented freshman, I still have to go with Warner, in a close match. Correnti winning would come as no big surprise, however.
Iowa leads 21-9

285- Christian Colucci vs #5 Sam Stoll or Connor Corbin- It looks like Iowa will wrestle Corbin here, as Stoll has not wrestled since Midlands. Corbin wrestled against Minn/Stevenson last week. Stoll accidently shot himself in leg last summer. Corbin is a true 197 and was majored by Stevenson . I'll give Colucci a close dec, in match that could go either way.

Iowa wins 21-12.
I'll give Colucci a close dec over Corbin.

Should be a very interesting Friday night in Iowa.

Last edited:
Marinelli scares me with Glasgow, especially with his injury. I think if we take 3 bouts and get out of Carver without any injuries, thats a W in my opinion. We will get back to our winning ways dualwise vs Sparty next weekend.

Stoll accidently shot himself in leg last summer.

LOL. Very in-depth review!

Marinelli scares me with Glasgow, especially with his injury. I think if we take 3 bouts and get out of Carver without any injuries, thats a W in my opinion. We will get back to our winning ways dualwise vs Sparty next weekend.

Leave Glasgow at home. Let him rest and heal. Unfortunately we will be sending a lamb to slaughter without him.

Didn't Marinelli wrestle last season with ACL tear (or was that Lee)? Don't remember him favoring his leg when I saw him wrestle. Now that's a warrior.

Just rewatched the Desanto celebration at the end of the Lizak bout. Did anyone else get the feeling they were watching the Chong Li vs Chuan Ip Mung bout in Bloodsport (sans Lizak dying of course)?

Wonder if DeSanto chooses down :)
Delvecchio broke DeSanto with his ride last year.
Has to be some crazy wrestling in the Iowa Room watching DeSanto trying to get out from under Lee

Didn't Marinelli wrestle last season with ACL tear (or was that Lee)? Don't remember him favoring his leg when I saw him wrestle. Now that's a warrior.

Lee tore it in HS and wrestled Desanto losing in the state finals. I think there was a lot of curiosity as to how he would come into college and perform after the tear. Well we know how he did last year.

Stoll accidently shot himself in leg last summer.
I looked this up earlier today and what I found indicated that this was his initial story to protect a friend who accidentally / mistakenly shot Stoll while Stoll was pranking him.
Either way he was shot.

No. 20 Wrestling Faces No. 4 Iowa in Prime Time Friday on BTN

No. 20 Rutgers wrestling hits the road as it faces No. 4 Iowa on Friday, Jan. 18 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City. The match will broadcast in prime time at 9 p.m. ET on BTN, with Tim Johnson, Jim Gibbons, and Shane Sparks on the call. WRSU (88.7 FM) will also have the road radio broadcast.

https://scarletknights.com/news/201...es-no-4-iowa-friday-in-prime-time-on-btn.aspx

All that I'll say (for now) is that DeSanto, win or lose, always brings it. If Suriano isn't taking it to him, he'll spend a lot of time on defense.

I know that you know that Yianni wrestles for Cornell. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, the poster was asking about the Iowa wrestler w the knee injury.
Marinelli had knee injury early last year ..if you remember he was only wrestling his 2nd or 3rd match last year when he went against Richie and had a huge knee brace on

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Turk
I think it will be a long evening for us RU faithful. Ashnault went to Florida for a week with this summer or last summer to work out with Lugo so that bout should be interesting.

How tall is Ashnault? Lugo struggles wrestling guys with length. He can get in on them just doesn't seem to finish well on lanky guys

Reactions: bigmatt718
Pat Lugo is listed at 5' 5" and that might be a stretch. If they trained together they certainly know each other's strengths and weaknesses. Looking forward to the match. Certainly a must win match for Rutgers

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Hawkeye fan here. Looking forward to this dual. DeSanto will never stop coming in any match even if he is clearly outmatched. Suriano is too sound defensively and stays in great shape. Nick should win by a comfortable dec although I wish I could see Spencer and Nick square off again
Welcome! Looking forward to a great match in a great atmosphere. I hope everyone wrestles hard and comes out healthy.

I think this match will be closer for RU than Ok. St. in terms of team scores. We lost a lot of close matches there. I do think Iowa has the potential for bonus points, especially at 125, 165 and maybe 184. I think Iowa gets pins or TF at 125 and 165. Can’t wait to watch!

Pat Lugo is listed at 5' 5" and that might be a stretch. If they trained together they certainly know each other's strengths and weaknesses. Looking forward to the match. Certainly a must win match for Rutgers

Wow, that is short for that weight class, sort like the stalling machine, Alfred Bannister of Maryland. I'm sure Ashnault's patented ankle pick will be in full effect against those short legs.

If they worked out this summer Lugo may also be surprised at his size now. I know Lugo gave Thorn a lashing so this should be interesting. I still think that if AA smells blood he will turn it on.

No worse nightmare when I wrestled than wrestling tall, lanky guys! Short and stout was easy, but tall and lanky was a nightmare.

The irony is is that I was a tall wrestler myself.

How tall is Ashnault? Lugo struggles wrestling guys with length. He can get in on them just doesn't seem to finish well on lanky guys

Don’t know exact height, but he has long arms and has developed both a deadly ankle pick and a knack for keeping a tight claw and tight waist to setup his tilt series.

Both handled Thorn so this should be fun. Anthony was a little cocky and sloppy his last two matches so I expect a more disciplined Ashnault Friday.

No idea who he is or what you’re talking about

200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT