ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread : RU at #3 Iowa, 9pm, BTN TV :

Ashnault went from pinning and teching everyone to barely winning by decision in Jan against guys he's much better than. Suriano regression even worse. Now he has zero offense and losing and running out of gas. Something he never did.
Are you sure you actually know anything about wrestling...the kid won for Gods sake ..he was pinning and teching unranked kids ..these last two guys weren’t slouches for both Nick and Ash ...for somebody who professes to love RU wrestling and thinks you know so much you jump on these kids whenever you can ..regressing ...that’s about as dumb a statement as I’ve heard ...

Ashnault went from pinning and teching everyone to barely winning by decision in Jan against guys he's much better than. Suriano regression even worse. Now he has zero offense and losing and running out of gas. Something he never did.
Are you drunk? Pinning unranked Joey Baggadonuts is meaningless when wrestling top ranked guys.
How do you expect us to recruit with the likes of PSU, Ohio St., Iowa, Oklahoma St., if we don't display an ability to perform above our potential?
It doesn't work that way. And we're already outperforming our recruiting. Which teams have done more with less? Edinboro several years ago, and that's about it. We just started fully funding schollies a few years ago.

Reactions: TRU2RU and Racpack
Are you drunk? Pinning unranked Joey Baggadonuts is meaningless when wrestling top ranked guys.
It doesn't work that way. And we're already outperforming our recruiting. Which teams have done more with less? Edinboro several years ago, and that's about it. We just started fully funding schollies a few years ago.
What years have we out-performed our recruiting?

Saying AA got worse is an absurd notion. He's wrestling top guys week in and week out and hasn't lost.

I disagree a lot. Look how AA looked against #1 Micah Jordan, although he faded in the 3rd, now look how he looked against Lugo and Gfeller. He barely won, against 2 guys not even in his class skill wise, but in probably in just as good condition, if not better.

These are TOP ranked programs, week after week we are wrestling them, wears you down, and RU would have it no other way! Iron sharpens iron. But, it will take a toll. You re-group. Get experience, learn. Get healthy. Prepare for March. Gotta stop acting like we should be killing it every match though. That’s the goal....but have to be realistic.

It takes m-o-n-e-y! Money to pay for resident athletes. How do you people think PSU did it???? Go research it.

Go RU!
Diane
Hired Cael Sanderson?

Abro, I see it like this. Any D-1 wrestler, especially in the BIG, regardless of ranking, can beat ANY wrestler at any given match at any time of year, they are all that good. Some are crazy good ELITE but even they have their bad moments. People see those elite ones and think everyone can do it. They are far and few per year if you think about it. Only 10 per program. There are the top 3 programs and everyone else.

Go RU!
Diane

Last edited:
Lugo is ranked 11, Ashnault should have won easy . ,maybe a major. DeSanto was beaten by others this year, and DelVEcchio beat him last year, DeSanto is a head case, he's barely a top 8 guy, A horrible loss by a rapidly fading Suriano.
Something is wrong, our guys appear soft and out of condition. Maybe too many interviewing with Flo, or just not working hard enough
Even Utah Valley whipped us conditioning wise, and I think Princeton will too.

Correnti slow into rounding into shape, Glasgow nothing, 125 zero, 141 very little. 285, close to worst in Big 10. you can look at things objectively , or not.
If we’re that bad go someplace else ...your negativity just shows you obviously have no life and all you have to say is just negative so maybe try something else to fulfill your life

Why am I watching this guy talk and not wrestling? Also our problems stem from way too many recruiting misses. Like @Leonard23 always likes to remind me, we just don't have the talent. And it's showing.

Abro, I see it like this. Any D-1 wrestler, especially in the BIG, regardless of ranking, can beat ANY wrestler at any given match at any time of year, they are all that good. Some are crazy good ELITE but even they have their bad moments. People see those elite ones and think everyone can do. They are far and few per year if you think about it. Only 10 per program. There are the top 3 programs and everyone else.

Go RU!
Diane

Sorry, but you're making excuses. Seth Gross on ND St would disagree too..
A 6th year Ashnault should not be struggling against youngsters like Lugo and Gfeller, and Suriano should easily beat DeSanto. And Suriano gassing against DeSanto is a complete shocker.

Reactions: ruready07
Hired Cael Sanderson?

Yep that’s only PART of it. PSU also had $5 million endowed to fund its wrestling club and subsidize its assistants and pay for resident athletes among other things. So, yeah. You guys saw the BIG picture of what it took and put ALL the pieces in place to do it to succeed. Our fans are just learning what it takes. Frankly, they don’t get it yet.

Go RU!
Diane

Reactions: ChasRC69
Yep that’s only PART of it. PSU also had $5 million endowed to fund your wrestling club and subsidize your assistants and pay for resident athletes among other things. So, yeah. You guys saw the BIG picture of what it took and put ALL the pieces in place to do it to succeed. Our fans are just learning what it take. Frankly, they don’t get it yet.

Go RU!
Diane

How much money does ND St have, Seth Gross won it all last year. How much money does Utah Valley have, that humiliated RU in Dec?

A 6th year Ashnault should not be struggling against youngsters like Lugo and Gfeller, and Suriano should easily beat DeSanto.

Tell me where there is a guarantee a 6th year senior is suppose to beat everyone? Don't you see freshmen winning NCAA titles beating upperclassmen all the time.

Reactions: ChasRC69
I actually think the regression of Suriano and Ashnault might be a worse look for Pritzlaff than Goodale. Pritzallf is the coach that gets down and rolls with those 2 more than Goodale, who is more an Admin.

What I worry about is when the top tier kids from Blair and Bergen C see studs like Suriano and Ashnault getting worse as the season goes on, how can we expect them to sign up for this program?
If they get it done in March it will all be forgotten.... but how they been wrestling lately warrants worry ofc

A 6th year Ashnault should not be struggling against youngsters like Lugo and Gfeller, and Suriano should easily beat DeSanto. And Suriano gassing against DeSanto is a complete shocker.

Ok, Abro. We can agree to disagree. I’m done. We’re both passionate fans who love RU so [cheers]

Correntti ran out of gas as well. Definitely a concerning trend .

Correnti looked like he competed ... looking at other scores it looks like some did too ... But i guess 2-8 against top teams should be the expectation.

Poor Colucci, i think Stoll is his 4th top 10 and 3rd top 5 guy in the past 2 weeks, yikes.! Where was stoll 4 days ago against Stevenson??? coward ! lol

Ok, Abro. We can agree to disagree. I’m done. We’re both passionate fans who love RU so [cheers]
Lol...loves RU wrestling ...all the guy does is complain...make bad predictions and find anything and everything wrong ...some fan he is

Reactions: Leonard23
What years have we out-performed our recruting?
We've upset teams almost every year and had guys AA that weren't expected to. You and Abro have a warped perception of reality. Maybe find a new team to root for. Rider is looking for new fans. I'm sure PSU is always taking newcomers.

Reactions: TRU2RU and ChasRC69
I hope Colucci at least got schollie money for agreeing to come out and take a beating every match and avoid a pin or tech.

This ref does know it's the heavyweight weight class right? I've never seen 4 stalling calls in an entire heavy match let alone on one guy.

Also WTF are the Iowa fans yelling? It's fvcking stupid.

Reactions: Leonard23 and rondi
I disagree a lot. Look how AA looked against #1 Micah Jordan, although he faded in the 3rd, now look how he looked against Lugo and Gfeller. He barely won, against 2 guys not even in his class skill wise, but in probably in just as good condition, if not better.
Dude stop drinking and stop while you are ahead. Your points are completely invalid. These are top level guys. Lugo May be 11 but he’s better than that and has shown it. I might even give a little regression with Suriano but personally I think he has the skills, just needs to open up more. Ashnault is wrestling best he ever has. He’s undefeated for God’s sake. Just stop

Reactions: TRU2RU
This ref does know it's the heavyweight weight class right? I've never seen 4 stalling calls in an entire heavy match let alone on one guy.

Also WTF are the Iowa fans yelling? It's fvcking stupid.

Good question, thinking the same myself. Weird noises.

Not just trying to look for the positives but every single year AA goes through a drought. I’m hoping he is just going through his mid season blues (winning by less margin no less) and will be back for BIGs and NCAAs.

It’s all good. One thing for sure, we are ALL passionate RU fans. Look at us on a Friday night glued to BTN and message boards. Just a little bitchy whiney ones at time :boxing:, sorry! No one is happy with a loss, even to #2 or a #3. But, we as fans need to rally behind RU. Not roll them under a bus. That doesn’t mean wearing scarlet colored glasses or not giving constructive criticism. It means being realistic and how to help make it better. Trying to see some positives is a start. Thank you for that.

Go RU!
Diane

Reactions: SF88 and ChasRC69
Dude stop drinking and stop while you are ahead. Your points are completely invalid. These are top level guys. Lugo May be 11 but he’s better than that and has shown it. I might even give a little regression with Suriano but personally I think he has the skills, just needs to open up more. Ashnault is wrestling best he ever has. He’s undefeated for God’s sake. Just stop

Haven't had a drink in weeks, lol. Keep believin what you want , though. I'm sure Coach G won't be complaining about lack of funds in his presser. He is a straight shooter, not an excuse maker. We should have won 2 or 3 bouts, we won 2, so not that big a difference, except for Suriano looking bad for the 2nd big match in a row, and Ashnault barely holding on against an out matched kid.

Anyone else see the Blair-Wyoming Sem match? pretty exciting, Blair held on even without the 2 Ferrari brothers transferring out to BergenC

Reactions: belushijo
We've upset teams almost every year and had guys AA that weren't expected to. You and Abro have a warped perception of reality. Maybe find a new team to root for. Rider is looking for new fans. I'm sure PSU is always taking newcomers.
The old "pick up your ball and go home" reply. An oldy but a goodie. I would have settled for a serious answer though. You have a great skill in unnecessarily escalating a discussion to petty levels.

I'll ask again, what year have we out-performed our recruiting class at NCAAs? Thought maybe you had a specific year in mind since you seemed pretty confident. We're going on what, year 12, of the Goody era? Surely you had a specific year in mind, unless you were just shooting off the hip because it sounded good. Judging by this half reply, you were thinking about last year, perhaps?

Last edited:
Reactions: ruready07
Haven't had a drink in weeks, lol. Keep believin what you want , though. I'm sure Coach G won't be complaining about lack of funds in his presser. He is a straight shooter, not an excuse maker. We should have won 2 or 3 bouts, we won 2, so not that big a difference, except for Suriano looking bad for the 2nd big match in a row, and Ashnault barely holding on against an out matched kid.

Anyone else see the Blair-Wyoming Sem match? pretty exciting, Blair held on even without the 2 Ferrari brothers transferring out to BergenC
Couldn't believe Bartlett pinned Van Ness. Kid has been on an unreal run this year.

Serious question, why aren’t we deeper? I don’t get it. I know we’ve had recruiting misses, but it would be nice if we can build some depth. What happens when we lose AA next year? What do we have coming in?

What were PSU's finishes under Cael before receiving that gift?
So you're going to claim that you didn't have a fully funded wrestling club before the gift? Come on. Don't act like you weren't buying the best workout partners before this gift. We haven't found our sugar daddy yet and are late to the game on this front. You're a smart boy and know that. Also you know how this game is won, get the best workout partners, get the best wrestlers. He who has the best recruits wins.

ADVERTISEMENT