ADVERTISEMENT

Big10 Tournament Thread: Session 2, 7pm , BTN+, Flowrestling:

So, for 1st time in RU history, we have 2 wrestlers going for Big 10 Titles (with Suriano fighting hard against 3 opponents on the mat - wrestler, bias refs, opposing coaches); Gravina with awesome comebacks to get an AQ; JVB with an awesome 1st match pin and also gets an AQ; and Metzler and Lipari fighting for AQs. BUT, I’ll play...let’s focus on Glasgow and talk negative about coaches/recruiting. Smh.

Don’t count me in on “many of us”. Now, MAYBE would they like a “do-over” in HINDSIGHT, who wouldn’t? But, it’s THEIR decision every step of the way, not the “fans” (except to 2nd guess & complain). After all, Glasgow, his family, the coaches, the medical staff have ALL the facts they need before them at the TIME they make EVERY decision. If redshirt is already burned, it’s another factor when making the next decision and so on. Bottom line, you have ZERO idea what is going on in Glasgow’s head as do I. He could be thinking...now I know what it takes, I have what it takes and will rehab & get to work to get it done as much as he could be thinking this is very humbling. Comments about coaching and recruiting...ummm, multiple injuries hurt depth. It happens on EVERY team, even Iowa.

People always seem to harp on putting RU down whenever possible more then pumping them up. So, go ahead, “at me” all you want today. I decided to not respond anyway as I am going to enjoy the ride & stay positive! Besides, I’ve got the NCAAs coming up! Going to be another fun time. Love these kids, they make me so proud as an RU Alumn. I love these coaches. It’s not easy at a public university with limited funds/facilities against the blue bloods. That’s starting to change. I’ll continue to support them with my time, my money and my heart/passion.

Have a nice day! Peace!

Go RU!
Diane

For me at least and I think many of the naysayers, it's more along the lines of what has this season done for him mentally or even accomplished on the mat. You all just listened to Nick in his interview say how much of a mental game this is.

Now we took what is supposed to be one of our future horses and sent him out on a leg which clearly isn't 100%(although no further damage can be done and he's cleared, great good to know). A kid who hadn't wrestled in a year. Then to compound matters even further bumped him up a weight and proceed to watch him lose time after time. At times he couldn't even defend that leg, his quickness and strength were shot. It's important to note, this is a true freshman we're talking about, not a 6th year senior like Gravina. So the comparisons can't be made.

What exactly did this accomplish for his psyche and the bigger question what will the lasting effects be? What exactly did this year teach him? Seems the only thing accomplished this year was getting experience simply for experience sake. Was that year of eligibility really worth it, just to gain what turned out to be anguishing experience? Was the risk of potentially breaking a freshman's psyche worth it just to win a few duals meets?

Many of us feel like it was a huge waste and he simply wrestled do to the inept recruiting of the weight class by the coaches. The odds were stacked against him. True freshman, hadn't wrestle for a year, injured leg and bumping up a weight class. Is that really putting him in the best position to succeed. You know the coaches job. The smart move would have been to redshirt and let him wrestle the year in open tournaments to get acclimated back into wrestling itself, a B1G wrestling room and another year of healing the leg.
hard to disagree to what your saying here....i know this is college, and the big ten. so if your not the elite ,of the elite your going to struggle ,especially with all that you mentioned above....a red shirt would have been most beneficial for stephen.....also, i'm a big coach goodale supporter, and appreciate the great job he has done with the program...i just think he should have thought this through....many questions to be answered in the off season.....will sg's knee be 100%...will he wrestle 157,
how is his attitude ,that he hasn't lost this much in his wrestling career.
the kid has to much talent,, and natural athletic ability to be a bust. i hope he learned his big ten lesson this season, and comes back with a vengeance.

Reactions: rugrapfan1
Did you see Stevenson in the match against Sam Stoll? He was a jerk again, doing a rope a dope Muhammad Ali dance, and then getting into his face again after the match ended. Him and Disanto is everything that’s wrong with sports

You should encounter all types of people in competition. There is a lot of learning we’re taking off the table if you don’t allow people of different ways to compete against each other.
Don’t like it ? Beat the guy

For me at least and I think many of the naysayers, it's more along the lines of what has this season done for him mentally or even accomplished on the mat. You all just listened to Nick in his interview say how much of a mental game this is.

Now we took what is supposed to be one of our future horses and sent him out on a leg which clearly isn't 100%(although no further damage can be done and he's cleared, great good to know). A kid who hadn't wrestled in a year. Then to compound matters even further bumped him up a weight and proceed to watch him lose time after time. At times he couldn't even defend that leg, his quickness and strength were shot. It's important to note, this is a true freshman we're talking about, not a 6th year senior like Gravina. So the comparisons can't be made.

What exactly did this accomplish for his psyche and the bigger question what will the lasting effects be? What exactly did this year teach him? Seems the only thing accomplished this year was getting experience simply for experience sake. Was that year of eligibility really worth it, just to gain what turned out to be anguishing experience? Was the risk of potentially breaking a freshman's psyche worth it just to win a few duals meets?

Many of us feel like it was a huge waste and he simply wrestled do to the inept recruiting of the weight class by the coaches. The odds were stacked against him. True freshman, hadn't wrestle for a year, injured leg and bumping up a weight class. Is that really putting him in the best position to succeed. You know the coaches job. The smart move would have been to redshirt and let him wrestle the year in open tournaments to get acclimated back into wrestling itself, a B1G wrestling room and another year of healing the leg.

For someone who missed a year wrestling, to then redshirt them is essentially making it 2 years without real wrestling.
The coaches did the right thing. A lot of guys need that one year where they learn what the competition is all about and can then set goals on how to improve.
Glasgow can be just fine. He need a huge offseason though

Reactions: jerzey devil
Well said Koleszar you could have not have put this is in better words.I really think we should be careful how we handle these situations with freshman.Recruits along with their families analyze and pay attention to how things will be handled if they come into Rutgers.I think their are some valuable lessons learned in Glasgow's case.

As far as psyche this can damage a freshman's outlook with the risk of losing him,transferring out or chucking this year as a one time disaster.It could also create lingering effects that he might not be able to overcome in the future since the damaged is now rooted.Goody does a good job in selling our product, so hopefully along with the coaching staff they can reconnect with Glasgow in the offseason laying out a successful plan.

You sharpen people mentally by putting them in tough situations and creating an opportunity for them to personally overcome. You don’t always help someone by allowing them to avoid the fire

For someone who missed a year wrestling, to then redshirt them is essentially making it 2 years without real wrestling.
The coaches did the right thing. A lot of guys need that one year where they learn what the competition is all about and can then set goals on how to improve.
Glasgow can be just fine. He need a huge offseason though
You do know while they are redshirting they can go into open tournaments throughout the year unattached, and wrestle some B1G and other top conference wrestlers, right? Examples: Janzer and Aguilar neither of those two were hurt yet redshirted. They needed a year to get acclimated to college wrestling.

Usually you use that one redshirt year to learn what the competition is all about like you described, not blow a year of eligibility on it. Unless they are ready right off the bat like a Suriano or Ashnault(even he redshirted but do to injury). Did Glasgow look ready to you this year, because to my eyes he didn't even look close?

Last edited:
Stephan had some stomach issues as well. He is trying hard but give him some slack and wait till next year.

Something had to keep Stephan Glasgow from going again to try and get an AQ to NCAA's.

I'm sure that if Stephan could have wrestled again he would have.

Reactions: MS-RU
You sharpen people mentally by putting them in tough situations and creating an opportunity for them to personally overcome. You don’t always help someone by allowing them to avoid the fire
Then why weren't Janzer and Aguilar put through the crucible of fire you just described? Plenty of injuries at 184 yet Janzer maintained his redshirt. Metzlar loses to Aquilar yet he also maintained his redshirt. I guess we helped them by avoiding the fire then? Makes no sense.

Who gives a crap about team score at the Bigs
Yes I'm sure that's what the coaches strive for, who gives a crap about B1Gs. Then why do the coaches care so much about duals, they're even more meaningless?

So, for 1st time in RU history, we have 2 wrestlers going for Big 10 Titles (with Suriano fighting hard against 3 opponents on the mat - wrestler, bias refs, opposing coaches); Gravina with awesome comebacks to get an AQ; JVB with an awesome 1st match pin and also gets an AQ; and Metzler and Lipari fighting for AQs. BUT, I’ll play...let’s focus on Glasgow and talk negative about coaches/recruiting. Smh.

Don’t count me in on “many of us”. Now, MAYBE would they like a “do-over” in HINDSIGHT, who wouldn’t? But, it’s THEIR decision every step of the way, not the “fans” (except to 2nd guess & complain). After all, Glasgow, his family, the coaches, the medical staff have ALL the facts they need before them at the TIME they make EVERY decision. If redshirt is already burned, it’s another factor when making the next decision and so on. Bottom line, you have ZERO idea what is going on in Glasgow’s head as do I. He could be thinking...now I know what it takes, I have what it takes and will rehab & get to work to get it done as much as he could be thinking this is very humbling. Comments about coaching and recruiting...ummm, multiple injuries hurt depth. It happens on EVERY team, even Iowa.

People always seem to harp on putting RU down whenever possible more then pumping them up. So, go ahead, “at me” all you want today. I decided to not respond anyway as I am going to enjoy the ride & stay positive! Besides, I’ve got the NCAAs coming up! Going to be another fun time. Love these kids, they make me so proud as an RU Alumn. I love these coaches. It’s not easy at a public university with limited funds/facilities against the blue bloods. That’s starting to change. I’ll continue to support them with my time, my money and my heart/passion.

Have a nice day! Peace!

Go RU!
Diane

Diane, I want to buy you a drink sometime. Well said.

Reactions: rondi
Yes I'm sure that's what the coaches strive for, who gives a crap about B1Gs. Then why do the coaches care so much about duals, they're even more meaningless?

I think the point was that given the current state of our program as compared to PSU, OSU, etc. the team score is irrelevant.

Reactions: rondi
6...SIX B1G Champs came from NJ. 2 from RU (Ash, Suriano), 2 from OSU (McKenna, Martin), 1 from PSU (Cassar), 1 from NW (Rivera). That's incredible.

5 NCAA AQ's & I think that Joe Grello also gets an At-Large bid to get Rutgers 6 wrestlers at NCAA's.

Congrats to
Anthony Ashnault
Nick Suriano
John Van Brill
Nick Gravina
Pete Lipari
Joe Grello(almost guaranteed)

How do they come up with team standings? For example, Rutgers finished tied in 8th place with 53 points and we had two players win, but Minnesota ended in 4th with over 100 points but they had only one wrestler in championship and he lost (heavy weight). Forgive my ignorance. Just wondering.

How do they come up with team standings? For example, Rutgers finished tied in 8th place with 53 points and we had two players win, but Minnesota ended in 4th with over 100 points but they had only one wrestler in championship and he lost (heavy weight). Forgive my ignorance. Just wondering.
They had way more placers (1-8), and that matters a ton.

More points should be rewarded for guys that win the finals.

They do get more points for winning in the finals. But in a 14 team tournament a team like Wisconsin with multiple placers can out score RU. If RU gets two in the finals in Pittsburgh, they will easily outscore Wisconsin(they will not get as many placers). Rutgers only had Van Brill and Gravina score points. Rutgers had a 1,1,8, and 6 place finisher. Minn had a 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 3 and 2nd place finisher. They had a better tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT