ADVERTISEMENT

Run the triple option vs OSU

Langan as qb, let him run the triple option.
Throwing a couple of passes out of it.
Schiano has some familiarity with it.
OSU would never know what hit them.

giphy.gif

While we cannot just start doing this as we do not recruit triple-option players and we do not have triple-option coaches.... the point of the triple-option is DECEPTION.. every play has deception built into it.

We do need more of that.. especially against better defenses with "superior" talent.

Last edited:
Yes. Let's install a new offense in 3 days before we play the top team. I'm sure it will be great
This was my first thought! 🤣🤣
I love watching the Academies especially Navy. Paul Johnson and now Ken Miumatalolo are the best teaching that offense. It can not be taught in days or even months. People think it's just about the QB which is funny just by itself. And Schiano has zero experience running it, just defending against it.

Last edited:
We get pounded but our kids benefit from going up against the best this week. No one else that we play will be this good. It helps down the road.
As long as RU doesn’t lose players to injuries. In the past, after the OSU game the team seemed to lose confidence, as well as players.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not specific to OSU game but would love our offense move to RPO full time. Pro Style isnt cutting it.

Not specific to OSU game but would love our offense move to RPO full time. Pro Style isnt cutting it.
The problem with both styles is you need that QB that can do the P accurately. Need one of those first.

Last edited:
Reactions: B0ski
We need to find a way to resurrect The Four Horsemen from the dead and have them transfer to Rutgers in the next two days. Ohio State would have no answer, we win in a blowout.

Reactions: RU at the shore
OSU would never know what hi
Lol
The Triple Option could create problems for OSU, but learning this offense is difficult and many QBs often get hurt.

OSU would never know what hit them.
everyone-in-this-room-is-now-dumber-for-having-listened-to-it.gif

This has to be the dumbest thing I seen on a message board in a long time. This is not Madden where you can change offenses instantly. Running the triple option is one of the most complicated things in college football because it requires so much repetition to get it right. It takes teams months to run it effectively not days.

everyone-in-this-room-is-now-dumber-for-having-listened-to-it.gif

This has to be the dumbest thing I seen on a message board in a long time. This is not Madden where you can change offenses instantly. Running the triple option is one of the most complicated things in college football because it requires so much repetition to get it right. It takes teams months to run it effectively not days.
I think OP was kidding

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
All jokes aside I would rather have seen the triple option offense since 2016 than the mostly crap we’ve seen over the past seven years. May have been more practical to recruit for and implement.
Adopting the triple option offense would be the kiss of death for this program. We have a hard enough time recruiting as it is.

Call it the "Varsity Blues" offense. But it would piss off Bud Kilmer

0s
Adopting the triple option offense would be the kiss of death for this program. We have a hard enough time recruiting as it is.
Those players are easier to get. Great athletes with no predetermined positions.

A little thread hijack here.

This post is about Georgia Tech. You all know that Georgia Tech ran the triple option for years and at times they were very successful at it. Going so far as to play in some New Years Bowl games.

To me, a school opting to play the triple option is akin to throwing in the towel on being able to recruit an offense that could play at the school's current level. Because Rutgers was so lean during the Ash years, it is still too early to say whether Schiano et al can put together a competitive B1G offense. But, for Georgia Tech, it was their identity and given their extremely high academic requirements, it might be a good idea to go that route again.

About 20 miles up North I-75 from Georgia Tech is Kennesaw State. In football, it is a successful FCS program having made the playoffs several times in only 7 years of existence. Note: 2022 appears to be a a down year for them. HC Brian Bohanon runs the triple Option and I believe has earned at least an interview at Tech.

This post is about Georgia Tech. You all know that Georgia Tech ran the triple option for years and at times they were very successful at it. Going so far as to play in some New Years Bowl games.

To me, a school opting to play the triple option is akin to throwing in the towel on being able to recruit an offense that could play at the school's current level. Because Rutgers was so lean during the Ash years, it is still too early to say whether Schiano et al can put together a competitive B1G offense. But, for Georgia Tech, it was their identity and given their extremely high academic requirements, it might be a good idea to go that route again.

About 20 miles up North I-75 from Georgia Tech is Kennesaw State. In football, it is a successful FCS program having made the playoffs several times in only 7 years of existence. Note: 2022 appears to be a a down year for them. HC Brian Bohanon runs the triple Option and I believe has earned at least an interview at Tech.

Perhaps, but you don't make that change cold 3 weeks into the season.

Reactions: RUPsyched

The reality of running the triple option (more accurately the Flexbone offense, which was a Wishbone offense that can run Triple option plays) is that sustained success is difficult to maintain as it is a complicated system to run. Look how far they fall. 11 win season followed by 6. 11 wins followed by 3 wins. It's not a plug and play system at all.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008

I believe that was when Paul Johnson was the coach. He brought the option with him from Navy.
Johnson was 83-60 with nine bowls in eleven years including two Orange Bowls at Tech

Reactions: RUPsyched

They don't have an AD yet so not sure what direction they're going in. There are some names out there though which I mentioned in the coaching carousel thread I started.

Lol
The Triple Option could create problems for OSU, but learning this offense is difficult and many QBs often get hurt.
When I was coaching and we would play an option team, I would say to the opposing coach "you guys run the option huh? You must have a bunch of QBs." . When they looked @ me with a puzzled look I'd say "cause you're gonna need 'em". 😂😂😂

I say let the OP be the option QB vs OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT