ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers rapidly is losing ground in the NIL battle with other Big Ten schools, and critics — including people on the inside — believe the Scarlet…

This.

I love all the NIL chicken littles.

Let’s see, blue blood schools like UM, OSU, psu get all the best players, wins and money and 80% of the rest of CFB programs get the scraps? Shocker!! We’ve only seen this for about…oh…100 years, lol.

Meet your new landscape…same as your old landscape…
SMU says hold my beer

Before, there was essentially no ability to rise up in the ranks if you didn't get big before 2000, sans any program with a whale donor (Oregon and Oklahoma State)

VT barely made the cut, and now they're floundering.
Boise State is non existent.
UCF will never be in the Big 2 conferences.

But the Mustangs have decided they want in. They got a little taste of big time success 30 years ago, and want that feeling again.

Pre-NIL, that wasn't happening. Post NIL, sky's the limit for them.

I think the article does accurately depict the NIL issue and impact specifically for RU. It does have a bit of a negative slant toward the AD but includes his responses. I still get the SL delivered and keep up with things on NJ.com. I read the articles and listen to the sports podcast with Politi, Fonseca and Lanni. Overall their coverage of RU sports is extensive and more positive than not. For example, the recent Harper BB commitment received two consecutive days of large front page articles in the SL. Obviously, if a team is losing or there is a problem or legal issue it is going to be reported as it should be. It is a news organization not a cheerleading squad.
See my note above. They lit the match that drove Robert Mulcahy out as AD. They (particularly Politi, perhaps because he is an incurable (look at me!) attention whore) love to start trouble and rile fans up. Hobbs is not perfect. Nobody is perfect. But FFS, shut up NJ.com.

When does the follow-through opinion piece by Killingsworth drop? Day before our bowl game, day of the bowl game, or day after? He's a certainty especially with Hairball in the NCAA's doghouse again.

Reactions: Knight Shift
SMU says hold my beer

Before, there was essentially no ability to rise up in the ranks if you didn't get big before 2000, sans any program with a whale donor (Oregon and Oklahoma State)

But the Mustangs have decided they want in. They got a little taste of big time success 40 years ago, and want that feeling again.

fify

Honestly I’m sick of NIL. Such a broken and backwards model that basically Frankenstein’ed into this becusse the NCAA and the schools got so greedy and got legally forced to allow the Wild West to occur.

Coaches contracts should’ve had some interjections a long long time ago.

Then the conferences fiasco with tv contracts.

The NCAA should have oversight over all of this. Not the conferences. It should be a league , with divisions… and I guess now contracts for players too. There should be caps on both coaches and players , they can be wildly generous caps. But put everyone on the same open, transparent playing field .

We’re on a train towards greedy crash town. I’m certain all of this won’t last. Basically giving out 8 month contracts to 17-22 year olds. It’s like pick-up style sports now.

it’s pro sports but without the structure to keep it sane

Few thoughts (long)

It's NJ.com we're dealing with here. Take that with a metric ton of salt. Of course Sargeant has to bring up Rutgers' debt and subsidies for the 1000th time this year. It's the same garbage regurgitated over and over for the past 2 decades just to bait readers.

The news outlet that announces the McCord commitment to Syracuse as "5 star Rutgers legacy, joins team of former Rutgers coaches and players and spur hometown team blah blah" obviously knows that the best way to drive clicks is to be as negative as possible. This article is no different and offers little to no insight that isn't already known.

Let's just gloss over the fact that Rutgers basketball signed the #2 and #3 players in the country and Rutgers football didn't lose anyone to the transfer portal (so far) due to NIL. Devoting a few sentences to those achievement while highlighting paragraphs to the shortcomings is disingenuous. But it doesn't fit the narrative.

It'll be doom and gloom with these people forever. Rutgers could have the highest NIL and win a National Title and they will find a way to be negative about it. NJ.com (could be said of all media nowadays really) is more profitable when the world is a burning dumpster fire.

Oh, and somehow this program that keeps fumbling everything ended up in the most powerful and lucrative conference in College Athletics. More on that later.

Is Rutgers' NIL situation as good as Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan? Of course not. No one that follows college athletics would expect that.

The peer school according to them is Maryland. That comparison is idiotic given the Under Armour ties.

Pay for play is coming everyone. And once revenue sharing is a done deal every school in the B1G and SEC will immediately jump to the top half of Power Conferences.

Using the same metrics they bring up. If a $3M NIL for football teams nets every player in the 85 scholarship roster around 35K, think about what that will mean in the context of total compensation once revenue sharing is a thing.

The B1G and SEC will be able to offer that easier than the rest. So let's take Syracuse as an example since they're the flavor of the month.

Let's pretend Syracuse has $3M annualy in NIL to give (they don't) and Rutgers is at $2M (they're not either as far as I know). Once revenue sharing kicks into gear, the gap they have to overcome will be quite the task considering the B1G revenue is projected to be double, possibly triple that of the ACC.

In other words, NIL as it stands today is gonna be a flash of the pan issue and other schools better lobby Congress to take action otherwise the divide between the haves and have nots is gonna get ugly. (Relevant tangent: I think the days of the NCAA tournament are numbered. Hate to see it but I think it will happen in our lifetime).

Guess which side Rutgers is on solely because of the conference they're in. Schools can hire all the top recruiters they want. Money has already ruined the sport and it's only gonna get worse.

End of story.

Regarding KTR which are fantastic and do an awesome job.

I've had conversations to a few influential people within the RU community and many don't want to commit to collectives for a wide array of reasons. Collectives aren't everything they make themselves out to be, and the reason why they don't want to disclose anything (though there's some truth to it being for "competitive reasons") is because it opens up a huge can of worms that the article kind of addresses indirectly.

Without being cryptic. The true power players are gonna go to Hobbs not Danny Breslauer. No offense to him.

For NJ.com to think Hobbs is failing because he doesn't want to talk to them is hilarious.

Is Rutgers going to overcome or get to the level of the elites of the B1G? I doubt it. There's a cultural element that many of us have accepted that is too large to overcome.

But is the situation as bad as this article makes it out to be?

Absolutely not.

Don't let a collective tell you that.

Why?

In conclusion.

Because everyone has their heads in the sand and doesn't want to call a Spade a Spade.

NIL as it stands today is pay for play for 99.9% of athletes. Simple as that.

And once it gets to the true nature of term. Rutgers will be fine.
No offense taken, @onesimus. The AD should be the one communicating with top donors, with the collective as an infrastructure selling point. That's primarily the driver re: NIL messaging alignment.

Few thoughts (long)

It's NJ.com we're dealing with here. Take that with a metric ton of salt. Of course Sargeant has to bring up Rutgers' debt and subsidies for the 1000th time this year. It's the same garbage regurgitated over and over for the past 2 decades just to bait readers.

The news outlet that announces the McCord commitment to Syracuse as "5 star Rutgers legacy, joins team of former Rutgers coaches and players and spur hometown team blah blah" obviously knows that the best way to drive clicks is to be as negative as possible. This article is no different and offers little to no insight that isn't already known.

Let's just gloss over the fact that Rutgers basketball signed the #2 and #3 players in the country and Rutgers football didn't lose anyone to the transfer portal (so far) due to NIL. Devoting a few sentences to those achievement while highlighting paragraphs to the shortcomings is disingenuous. But it doesn't fit the narrative.

It'll be doom and gloom with these people forever. Rutgers could have the highest NIL and win a National Title and they will find a way to be negative about it. NJ.com (could be said of all media nowadays really) is more profitable when the world is a burning dumpster fire.

Oh, and somehow this program that keeps fumbling everything ended up in the most powerful and lucrative conference in College Athletics. More on that later.

Is Rutgers' NIL situation as good as Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan? Of course not. No one that follows college athletics would expect that.

The peer school according to them is Maryland. That comparison is idiotic given the Under Armour ties.

Pay for play is coming everyone. And once revenue sharing is a done deal every school in the B1G and SEC will immediately jump to the top half of Power Conferences.

Using the same metrics they bring up. If a $3M NIL for football teams nets every player in the 85 scholarship roster around 35K, think about what that will mean in the context of total compensation once revenue sharing is a thing.

The B1G and SEC will be able to offer that easier than the rest. So let's take Syracuse as an example since they're the flavor of the month.

Let's pretend Syracuse has $3M annualy in NIL to give (they don't) and Rutgers is at $2M (they're not either as far as I know). Once revenue sharing kicks into gear, the gap they have to overcome will be quite the task considering the B1G revenue is projected to be double, possibly triple that of the ACC.

In other words, NIL as it stands today is gonna be a flash of the pan issue and other schools better lobby Congress to take action otherwise the divide between the haves and have nots is gonna get ugly. (Relevant tangent: I think the days of the NCAA tournament are numbered. Hate to see it but I think it will happen in our lifetime).

Guess which side Rutgers is on solely because of the conference they're in. Schools can hire all the top recruiters they want. Money has already ruined the sport and it's only gonna get worse.

End of story.

Regarding KTR which are fantastic and do an awesome job.

I've had conversations to a few influential people within the RU community and many don't want to commit to collectives for a wide array of reasons. Collectives aren't everything they make themselves out to be, and the reason why they don't want to disclose anything (though there's some truth to it being for "competitive reasons") is because it opens up a huge can of worms that the article kind of addresses indirectly.

Without being cryptic. The true power players are gonna go to Hobbs not Danny Breslauer. No offense to him.

For NJ.com to think Hobbs is failing because he doesn't want to talk to them is hilarious.

Is Rutgers going to overcome or get to the level of the elites of the B1G? I doubt it. There's a cultural element that many of us have accepted that is too large to overcome.

But is the situation as bad as this article makes it out to be?

Absolutely not.

Don't let a collective tell you that.

Why?

In conclusion.

Because everyone has their heads in the sand and doesn't want to call a Spade a Spade.

NIL as it stands today is pay for play for 99.9% of athletes. Simple as that.

And once it gets to the true nature of term. Rutgers will be fine.
DING DING DING DING ****ING DING!!!!

Article says Rutgers NIL fund is around $2M. Maryland is around 4M while Michigan State, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin are above $5 million. Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are all over $7 million.
Article said RU was slow to put together NIL foundation and Hobbs isn’t doing enough.
No, the fans aren’t doing nearly enough for NIL. And yes fans buy tickets, parking and priority points at RU- but so do fans of our competitors.

Reactions: ZBock
I assume this is about football, not basketball (i.e., the program that landed the #2 and #3 nationally ranked recruit).
Getting the #2 and #3 recruits is not sustainable in the NIL environment.

Point to outliers if you want, if you want an excuse, but you are smart enough to know that RU cannot have sustainable success without NIL.

Thank you. That's fine. But how does NJ.com know (have facts and not opinions or hearsay) about what other teams have regarding NIL? Is this info public?
Why are you so mad? You and so many others admit to not giving NIL any money. Now you and others are all up in arms about NJ.COM reporting what should be common knowledge here. We don’t donate squat to the NIL and it shows. We keep our guys on the team but lose transfer portal guys because we have none to give them to come here. We have no portal guys besides the WR. There is a reason for that. We just lost out on a transfer OL to Illinois because we had no money to give him. He missed his mom’s home cooking but not that much I guess. So many die hards give nothing to NIL but now are mad someone is reporting it. Give me a break lol.

SMU says hold my beer

But the Mustangs have decided they want in. They got a little taste of big time success 30 years ago, and want that feeling again.

Everything SMU did under the table that caused them to get hit with the Death Penalty is not against the rules anymore. Now they can do it in plain sight.

Reactions: mdh2003
If RU's NIL was being funded at the level of other B1G schools, NJ.com would be complaining that too much money was being spent on it and we'd see a series of hatchet jobs.
NJ.COM is not the problem the lack of NIL to get players so we can win is the problem. I’d love to read an article about how our NIL is helping us get football players to come here so we can win.

Reactions: ZBock
Yes the 35th ranked class in football and 2 in bball is so terrible

How about all the returned players and coaches?

So dumb. Only NJ.com could pull of that BS

Thank you for posting what I’ve been thinking after reading the article.

If anything, the article may convince more rich folks and companies to contribute.

I’m also not at all upset that RU wasn’t a master of dark money skills.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
If RU's NIL was being funded at the level of other B1G schools, NJ.com would be complaining that too much money was being spent on it and we'd see a series of hatchet jobs.
Funny, it took this minor league Woodward & Bernstein wanna-be 4-months to do his "investigation" while the Daily Orange (largely student based) completed their review of the NIL situation at Syracuse in a fraction of the time.

Hopefully he didn't spend too much time in the darkened parking garages of New Brunswick waiting for his informants to pop up from behind a pillar.

Funny, it took this minor league Woodward & Bernstein wanna-be 4-months to do his "investigation" while the Daily Orange (largely student based) completed their review of the NIL situation at Syracuse in a fraction of the time.

Hopefully he didn't spend too much time in the darkened parking garages of New Brunswick waiting for his informants to pop up from behind a pillar.
He probably just went to the Subway. That's where the real news comes from.

The guy running the NIL collective just confirmed that the article is spot on.
Which is fine but it is what it is. We’re never going to be able to compete with the bluebloods. Lots of people don’t feel like paying kids to play college sports. Where does it end or become enough? If we raise more than OSU will raise that much more It's almost like asking everyone to start chipping in to pay the salaries of the Yankees now

Which is fine but it is what it is. We’re never going to be able to compete with the bluebloods. Lots of people don’t feel like paying kids to play college sports. Where does it end or become enough? If we raise more than OSU will raise that much more It's almost like asking everyone to start chipping in to pay the salaries of the Yankees now
That's one way to look at it
Another way is to actually try to compete and make an effort amongst the fan base

Supplement that with corporations around the tri-state area, and if successful, would absolutely be able to compete with the big boys

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
Absent of a full buy in from the fanbase (highly unlikely given our partly history of donating) or a whale donor stepping up, this needs to come from businesses & corporations around the tri-state area, if we're ever going to compete NIL wise at an elite level
IMO moving the needle substantively in most fundraising rests larglely on the uber wealthy not the rank and file. Business and corporations can account for that as well.

IMO moving the needle substantively in most fundraising rests larglely on the uber wealthy not the rank and file. Business and corporations can account for that as well.
True as the rank and file generally fall in line and follow suit if the wealthy start the process and tangible results follow

But it's chicken / egg as we're falling further behind and $ is needed now, so will they donate immedaitely (unlikely) or wait and see what happens (more likely), hence the need for corporations to step up ASAP

This.

I love all the NIL chicken littles.

Let’s see, blue blood schools like UM, OSU, psu get all the best players, wins and money and 80% of the rest of CFB programs get the scraps? Shocker!! We’ve only seen this for about…oh…100 years, lol.

Meet your new landscape…same as your old landscape…
Agree with that somewhat but I’ve said this before with NIL, portal and expanded playoffs that there’s more opportunity than ever before from the top on down.

There will never be full parity in CFB and of course the high status programs will still get theirs but there is more opportunity to achieve meaningful goals than there has been in the past.

That's one way to look at it
Another way is to actually try to compete and make an effort amongst the fan base

Supplement that with corporations around the tri-state area, and if successful, would absolutely be able to compete with the big boys
I wonder how, for example, those Georgia NIL donors felt when approximately 15 of their scholarship players receiving NIL $$$ jumped ship into the portal.?... "Uh thank you for the $20k sir, however Bama is now paying me $50k for next season."

When does it end, how is it sustainable even for the well-heeled?? It's so f'd up right now.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Let's say everything they wrote is true -- this is a temporary issue. Within the next 2-4 years there is going to be revenue sharing with the athletes and NIL will have less impact.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I wonder how, for example, those Georgia NIL donors felt when approximately 15 of their scholarship players receiving NIL $$$ jumped ship into the portal.?... "Uh thank you for the $20k sir, however Bama is now paying me $50k for next season."

When does it end, how is it sustainable even for the well-heeled?? It's so f'd up right now.
Probably rolled their eyes and collectively said "next."
Actually, I guarantee they did that as KJ Bolden was all set to sign with FSU and at the last minute, he flipped to UGA

Regulation of some sort is needed
Until then, we have two choices

1. Sit on our hands and watch the show go by
2. Do something about it

I’ve mentioned that too in past threads when everyone was woe is me and the sky is falling with NIL and portal.

I said one scenario is suppose someone takes a payday for a year or two and then maybe transfers and then playing time and opportunity might be more important than pay the next time around. Some might still be looking for pay and for some it might be less important. Everyone is different but it’s potential opportunity for programs with less deep pockets.

I posted in the the transfers thread like 9 of 18 of A&Ms class from last year or two years ago are gone.

Unlimited transfers potentially on the horizon too with recent court rulings.

I’ve mentioned that too in past threads when everyone was woe is me and the sky is falling with NIL and portal.

I said one scenario is suppose someone takes a payday for a year or two and then maybe transfers and then playing time and opportunity might be more important than pay the next time around. Some might still be looking for pay and for some it might be less important. Everyone is different but it’s potential opportunity for programs with less deep pockets.

I posted in the the transfers thread like 9 of 18 of A&Ms class from last year or two years ago are gone.

Unlimited transfers potentially on the horizon too with recent court rulings.
There's the Miami approach and the other approach
Miami = give massive bags to kids out of HS
Other = Give decent sized bags to kids out of hs, give bigger bags to kids in portal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT