ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Victims of September 11, 2001

Great story. His wife was a volunteer firefighter.
Nice Memorial Wall:
https://www.firehero.org/fallen-firefighter/paul-a-tegtmeier/

https://wodwell.com/wod/paul-tegtmeier/
Tegtmeier, 41, spent the past 18 months with Engine Co. 4 in Lower Manhattan but was permanently assigned to Ladder 46 in the Bronx.
Thx Buddy! He was a year behind me in School and we both volunteered at the Roosevelt FD in Hyde
PArk during HS and a couple of years after. He was always a really good guy and loved what he did. I remember that he stressed so much each year that he crept closer to the cutoff for becoming a NYFD.
He was probably on one his “rotation” spots during 9/11 which is why the other companies are listed in his obit.

It was a program where a new fireman goes to three completely different firehouses over the course of three years which are all different in their own right (work load, neighborhood, area building construction, etc.). In theory it is supposed to make you a more well rounded FF. I loved it and still think it was a great idea. I got a lot out of it.

He was probably on one his “rotation” spots during 9/11 which is why the other companies are listed in his obit.

It was a program where a new fireman goes to three completely different firehouses over the course of three years which are all different in their own right (work load, neighborhood, area building construction, etc.). In theory it is supposed to make you a more well rounded FF. I loved it and still think it was a great idea. I got a lot out of it.
Sounds like he had just been assigned on a perm basis to the Bronx but on the rotation before that

Sounds like he had just been assigned on a perm basis to the Bronx but on the rotation before that
I’ll have to look him up but normally they list where you are actually assigned and not where you working if killed in the line of duty.

I’ll have to look him up but normally they list where you are actually assigned and not where you working if killed in the line of duty.
That second link I provided said this:

"Tegtmeier, 41, spent the past 18 months with Engine Co. 4 in Lower Manhattan but was permanently assigned to Ladder 46 in the Bronx."

Was working at 48th and Park. Initially was a small plane hit the north tower. We went to meetings. Was told that the WTC had been toppled during the meeting. Inconceivable. Bombs in the basement? Would midtown be attacked next? Air Force did a very low flyover and we all ducked in our office. No way off Manhattan island except to walk over the bridges. I had to get to Hoboken via ferry as PATH was shut down. No work the next day, just watched the smoldering tower remains burn from Hoboken. Sadness and anger. Great speech by President Bush. Bombs fell in Afghanistan in November.

no $hit? then we probably cross traded as I was on the mbs desk after their training program on 105. I knew them all but the mbs desks were half the numbers from 98 to 2001 due to mkt and tech changes

I worked for cantor in 96. Wasn't there long enough to make remember everyone by name but when I visited the ground zero memorial I recognized way too many by face.

EhovFkQXsAEyEwU

kind of small imho, should have something more grand for that
I’ll say we tried. I was a class officer for the class of 2002 for Rutgers college and our class gift was going to be a memorial plaque for the victims. We wanted to place it near bishop hall because that whole are was redone around that time. It never happened. We had it all figured out and I’ll just say politics and beauracracy got in the way. I can still replay the conversation in my head between me and the dean about it. And I just gave up on it.

I’ll say we tried. I was a class officer for the class of 2002 for Rutgers college and our class gift was going to be a memorial plaque for the victims. We wanted to place it near bishop hall because that whole are was redone around that time. It never happened. We had it all figured out and I’ll just say politics and beauracracy got in the way. I can still replay the conversation in my head between me and the dean about it. And I just gave up on it.
If you don't mind without naming the dean (if that's an issue) .... what was the "Core or nexus" of the issue? Perhaps it can still be accomplished some other class, or association (RU Alums)?

Thanks

MO
PS NEVER FORGET!

If you don't mind without naming the dean (if that's an issue) .... what was the "Core or nexus" of the issue? Perhaps it can still be accomplished some other class, or association (RU Alums)?

Thanks

MO
PS NEVER FORGET!
It was that the main symbol of the plaque was the block R with the American flag through it. You know the one that came out as a sticker you could put on your car. It was going to be that with the names around it with stars below it. The fact that the flag was a main part of the plaque was the problem.

It was that the main symbol of the plaque was the block R with the American flag through it. You know the one that came out as a sticker you could put on your car. It was going to be that with the names around it with stars below it. The fact that the flag was a main part of the plaque was the problem.
Why?

What difference does including our national flag as symbol of what occurred on USA soil have to do with the horrendous loss of life, hijackings, carnage, trauma and rape of country?

As Jimmie V. said "Don't give up ...Don't ever give up!" ....and Never Forget!

Thanks

MO

Last edited:
Why?

What difference does including our national flag as symbol of what occurred on USA soil have to do with the horrendous loss of life, hijackings, carnage, trauma and rape of country?

As Jimmie V. said "Don't give up ...Don't ever give up!" ....and Never Forget!

Thanks

MO
Something about to his generation the flag can mean something different bc of the war. It can be polarizing and politicized. Assume Vietnam. As a 22 I didn’t get it and thought it was dumb. Still think it’s dumb as a 42 year old. So seeing a tiny American flag stuck in the dirt next to that tiny plaque in that picture is good to see. My thought was that the flag was the most appropriate symbol for something like this. Hence that sticker with the flag in it that came out right after the attacks. Haven’t really thought about it in years but that’s a short summary. Maybe there was more to it since a plaque did get created. Pretty lame and small one. But that one created wasn’t from our class as part of the class gift.

thanks for trying and as for the politics, that's shameful and kids should have sat in front of the Presidents office till he spoke with you on it. Great effort on your part

Reactions: RU to the Core
Dude put up video (he forgot about it for 20 years) that was taken from a boat and had clear view of 2nd crash

Never Forget, and the losses from that cowardly attack are still going on with the first responders that bravely looked for and helped the survivors
dying from what they were exposed to that day.

Reactions: RC71 and Wolv RU
You would think that as many years go by one's memory about that day and those days after would fade a bit , just the opposite for me I get more sad and troubled by that terrible experience every year and this year seems even worse.

We are tied now with how many died that day to how many got sick and died after.
Not to mention how many millions have died, been injured, displaced and lives destroyed in the resulting wars and conflicts this event sparked.

A tragedy all around. 😞

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT