ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Michigan Predictions

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At the beginning of the year, I had this match as a definite loss, prior to Michigan RSing several of their top wrestlers like Abounander and Coon. RU comes in red hot after 2 blowout wins of 2 respected programs of Oregon State and Purdue. This match for all intents and purposes is a complete coin flip like Illinois was, and will likely come down to bonus points. It also has very big National Dual implications as a win for RU will all but ensure a National Dual with a relatively soft remainder of the schedule on tap. With that said here's my predictions for Friday night:

125 Paetzall vs Youtsey. Paetzall is red hot right now, but I don't think he can quite pick off a 2x AA kid, at least not yet. 0-3 Michigan
133 Delvecchio vs Micic Close loss for DelV. 0-6 Michigan
141 Ash vs Profaci MD for Ash, 4-6 Michigan
149 Theo vs Hall MD for a red hot Theo, 8-6 RU
157 JVB vs Murphy Match of the night, calling an upset for JVB. 11-6 RU at halftime
165 Scott vs Massa, TF loss, Tied 11-11
174 Pagano vs Amine Pagano gets the call, but loses close. 11-14 Michigan
184 Gravina vs Battaglia MD win for Gravina, 15-14 RU
197 Correnti vs Striggow Correnti continues to stay hot and wins. 18-14 RU
HVY Gross vs Hayden Gross with a valient effort, but loses. RU wins 18-17

I got it 18-17 the other way with Paetzell, JVB, and Correnti being the toss ups. I think we need to win 2 of the 3 but in doing my prediction I only see us with 1 of the 3.

I'm calling Paetzell a toss up because he has been wrestling real well (with the exception of Suriano match) and I don't think Youtsey is in full wrestling shape yet. I assume he only started working out when Assad got injured so I can see Paetzell pushing the match with his never stop motor.

Here is mine
125-Youtsey-but as Obrats said, Youtsey cannot be in great shape. If Paetzell can wear him down he could get him late. 0-3
133-Micic-dec 0-6
141-AA dec, could get a major but the NJ boy at Mich has been wrestling tuff even in losses. 3-6
149-Theo major-Theo continues his top game roll- 7-6
157-Murphy dec(this was a coin flip to me, gave it to the home team) 7-9
165-Massa-tech fall. Massa will be in the NCAA finals- 7-14
174-Amine dec need to keep this to a dec---7-17
184-Gravina with a pin. Battaglia has gotten beat up this year, Nick grinds him down then the fall 13-17
197-Stritgow dec. (another coin flip) 13-20
Hwt-Gross dec Golobokov/Perry not sure who they will wrestle but Gross beats either 16-20

If RU flips 25, 57 or 97 they win 19-17. Should be a great dual!!

For all intents and purposes these two teams are completely evenly matched on paper. Wouldn't shock me at all if it came down to criteria to decide the winning team.

I think it'll be closer than I originally thought. I think Matt's breakdown is the mostly likely path to a Rutgers victory.

lots of match ups could go either way. biggest upsets would be at 133 and 165 if RU wins and 141 and 184 if MICH wins. Logan Massa will be the biggest favorite and likeliest to score bonus. that plus Youtsey's "unretirement" plus home mat advantage would make me favor Michigan more than a little. Should be a fun match.

If there's a year to steal a dual win from Michigan, this is it.

I got it 18-17 the other way with Paetzell, JVB, and Correnti being the toss ups. I think we need to win 2 of the 3 but in doing my prediction I only see us with 1 of the 3.

I'm calling Paetzell a toss up because he has been wrestling real well (with the exception of Suriano match) and I don't think Youtsey is in full wrestling shape yet. I assume he only started working out when Assad got injured so I can see Paetzell pushing the match with his never stop motor.
Pretty Rosie prediction..did you see Youtsey handle Rubbinetti(NW) then pack him a few days ago?I would think Rub & Paetzell are about on equal footing.Id be happy with anything less than a tech.

Pretty Rosie prediction..did you see Youtsey handle Rubbinetti(NW) then pack him a few days ago?I would think Rub & Paetzell are about on equal footing.Id be happy with anything less than a tech.
I guess I am hoping we get the Youtsey I saw need OT to beat McCabe last year.

Reactions: IroniaHorse
c
I guess I am hoping we get the Youtsey I saw need OT to beat McCabe last year.
Good pt. but, I think most would agree that 2016 SM is a bit different than the 2017 SM(for whatever reason,not ragging the kid) still a good pt OBrats

I agree that Brandonis improving dramatically but I just wanted to make all aware of that score. Rubinetti is from Closter NJ so I assume he went to a NJ school?

I agree that Brandonis improving dramatically but I just wanted to make all aware of that score. Rubinetti is from Closter NJ so I assume he went to a NJ school?
Yes he graduated in 2015 from Demarest, he finished 4th in the state at 120 behind Suriano (PSU), Aggaise (Princeton) and Firestone (Formerly Bucknell, now a free agent so to speak).

Friday nights match vs Michigan can be seen live on BTN plus, same night BTN TV airs Iowa vs Ohio St.

Sunday, RU vs Michigan St on BTN TV.

Here is a youtube video of McCabe vs Conor Yoeltzy from last season (125 Paetzell's opponent this Fri night)
Yoeltzy probably 4 or 5 years older than Paetzell , looks strong, I guess Brandon's strategy will be takedowns and maybe catch him for some back points. Won't be easy.

Last edited:
Friday nights match vs Michigan can be seen live on BTN plus, same night BTN TV airs Iowa vs Ohio St.

Sunday, RU vs Michigan St on BTN TV.

Here is a youtube video of McCabe vs Conor Yoeltzy from last season (125 Paetzell's opponent this Fri night)
Yoeltzy probably 4 or 5 years older than Paetzell , looks strong, I guess Brandon's strategy will be takedowns and maybe catch him for some back points. Won't be easy.

Dammit Abro!!! Now the whole world will know Paetzell's secret strategy for Friday night!!!
[cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers]

Reactions: Abro1975
I figure a lot of bonus points on both sides. 18-18 final. No clue how criteria works. $$$$

That video made gets me nuts! That killed me last year to watch and it just did the same. No attempt at all to win the match. I loved our chance befor CY was call on for 125. That makes a lot tougher and makes 1 more upset we will need. I really hope Pagano goes at 174. PLEASE give him a shot. And for some reason he losses to the number 14 guy don't bench him and say oh we tried give a couple of duals. We all know what Bak is so let's give Pagano a shot who already has more ranked wins this season then Bak has in his whole career.

PS. This does suck because we are a better team then them THIS year and if we can't knock them off it might be awhile. When there RS come back next year they will be a Top 5-7 team for sure.

That video made gets me nuts! That killed me last year to watch and it just did the same. No attempt at all to win the match. I loved our chance befor CY was call on for 125. That makes a lot tougher and makes 1 more upset we will need. I really hope Pagano goes at 174. PLEASE give him a shot. And for some reason he losses to the number 14 guy don't bench him and say oh we tried give a couple of duals. We all know what Bak is so let's give Pagano a shot who already has more ranked wins this season then Bak has in his whole career.
I agree. Starting Pagano needs to be done, like benching McCabe was.

Word is Pagano is going at 174. Feel bad for Bak but it's time.
It had to be done. Just like McCabe was a black hole at the beginning of almost every dual, Bak I have no confidence that he can beat a ranked wrestler. Can't even remember if he ever has beaten a ranked guy, if he has its been at least a full season.

McCabe was no black hole, he earned an NCAA Nationals invitation last season, that puts him in the top 33 nationally. Of course in the Big 10 he was probably ranked in the middle somewhere ( 14 teams). Coach G sees a lot of upside in Paetzel obviously, should he knock off Conor Yoeltzy he may break the top 20 and be ranked. At this point he's probably ranked somewhere around 6-8in the Big 10- exactly where McCabe was this time last season.
I think Correnti has a decent shot at top 33 also , qualify for Nationals depending how many slots Big 10 gets. Big 10 tourney be big obviously.

Paetzall and JVB have huge opportunities tomorrow. Both opponents are tough, but not impossible to beat. I like JVB's chances to take down Murphy more as he is absolutely fearless on the mat and won't be fazed by ranking. Paetzall might be able to upset Youtsey as well as he isn't 100% in wrestling shape yet and Paetzall will battle guys the entire 7 minutes. Should be a hell of a match.

Reactions: dollarbill
Paetzall and JVB have huge opportunities tomorrow. Both opponents are tough, but not impossible to beat. I like JVB's chances to take down Murphy more as he is absolutely fearless on the mat and won't be fazed by ranking. Paetzall might be able to upset Youtsey as well as he isn't 100% in wrestling shape yet and Paetzall will battle guys the entire 7 minutes. Should be a hell of a match.
why wouldn't Youtsey be in wrestling shape? He didn't just roll out of bed and wrestle Northwestern..some think this was in the works before Assad got hurt..another way to look at it is that Youtsey is not banged up at all and should be fresh for the rest of the season?

why wouldn't Youtsey be in wrestling shape? He didn't just roll out of bed and wrestle Northwestern..some think this was in the works before Assad got hurt..another way to look at it is that Youtsey is not banged up at all and should be fresh for the rest of the season?
Hence my statement, I like JVB's chances better to pull the upset off. Can Paetzall upset Youtsey? Yes...will he? That's to be determined.

These are team scores.

125 4-0 Mich
133 7-0 M
141 7-4 M
149 7-7
157 10-7
165 15-7
174 18-7
184 18-11
197 18-14
Hwt 18-17
Michigan 18-17 final , have Rutgers winning at 41,49,84,97,HWT

I got RU winning 20-14

125- Yoeltzy over Paetzell 0-3
131- Micic over Del Vec 0-6'
141- Ashnault MD over Profaci 4-6
149-Theobold over Amin 7-6
157- Van Brill over Murphy 10-6
165- Massa TF over Scott 10-11
174- Amin over Pagano- 10-14
184- Gravina MD over Battaglia 14-14
197-Correnti over Striggow 17-14
285-Gross over Perry 20-14

Match story from Michigan site :

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/012417aaa.html

JVB v Murphy should have some fireworks. Good matchup of styles.

I just got done watching last weekends Mich vs Ilininois match. Murphy got upset against an unranked Illinois wrestler, Langendorfer. Murphey got mad when the kid clapped in his face and tried to go after him and had to be restrained. In that match , Murphy didn't show too much. I think JVB has a very good chance, he has a faster motor, thats for sure.

I just got done watching last weekends Mich vs Ilininois match. Murphy got upset against an unranked Illinois wrestler, Langendorfer. Murphey got mad when the kid clapped in his face and tried to go after him and had to be restrained. In that match , Murphy didn't show too much. I think JVB has a very good chance, he has a faster motor, thats for sure.
I saw that as well. Apparently those two have a history that goes back to high school. Langenderfer beat Murphy in the state finals I believe.

Reactions: Abro1975
JVB pinned the Illinois kid this year after being down 7-0. This is a critical bout.

It'll be a great dual! I'm not sure if we can pull this one out though...

Based on statements from McFarland, that may be a bad assumption. Per McFarland, Youtsey has been working out and is fit, though it's true that he has not wrestled competitively for awhile.

Based on statements from McFarland, that may be a bad assumption. Per McFarland, Youtsey has been working out and is fit, though it's true that he has not wrestled competitively for awhile.
Some(many) people think this was in the works before Assad went down. Probably not happy with the production they were getting from Assad(& Natty pts). Wouldn't be the first 5th yr senior to take the 1st semester off,good strategery.

Youtsey made 125 and had plenty of strength in his first match. no way he was in "full retirement" mode. He'll be ready to go tonight.
I think it would be a pretty big upset if Paetzell beats youtsey. We all are high on the road runner but from the Michigan's perspective it's a 5th year sr 2x AA vs a true freshman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT