ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Michigan

Yeah, unfortunately Goody hinted at this during his press conference earlier in the week. He basically de-emphasized W/Ls for the duals (while backtracking a bit to save face saying they are important, yadda yadda) but given the shortened season window and the very small number of matches needed to qualify, this will more than likely be pretty common especially in the B1G.

Also similarly to Suriano, many of the elite guys have Olympic aspirations as well and since it's also an Olympic year again and everyone gets a free pass, there is no harm in having some wrestle the minimum to get qualified but then focus on their freestyle in the meanwhile.

It's going to be a wild/interesting season, but regardless what happens it will be super beneficial from a development standpoint for our younger guys.
Here’s a weird take: since there was no national tournament and this year doesn’t count towards eligibility, anyone who used their 4th year of eligibility last year should have been allowed to wrestle this year assuming they’re enrolled in school and meet all the other requirements.

Here’s a weird take: since there was no national tournament and this year doesn’t count towards eligibility, anyone who used their 4th year of eligibility last year should have been allowed to wrestle this year assuming they’re enrolled in school and meet all the other requirements.
Does that also mean they can wrestle next year since this year doesn’t count?

Does that also mean they can wrestle next year since this year doesn’t count?

I’ll use Jordan Pagano as an example.

In 2019-20, Pagano was heating up at the end of the season knocking off Brucki who was ranked 3rd and Laird who was ranked 7th. In my opinion, he had a chance to go on a run and possibly hit the podium. He then had to medically forfeit at the big 10 championship and he (and many other seniors) had their last national tournament taken away from him. He no longer has eligibility.

The NCAA should have allowed Pagano and the rest of last years seniors to compete this year and get that chance back. Those seniors only had 3 opportunities to win a national title. The NCAA supplemented the problem by allowing anyone with eligibility this year to have 5 career chances to win a national title.

To answer your question, those seniors from 2019-20 would not be allowed to compete beyond this season because it would require a year of eligibility they no longer have. This year isn’t charging athletes one of their years of eligibility.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
I’ll use Jordan Pagano as an example.

In 2019-20, Pagano was heating up at the end of the season knocking off Brucki who was ranked 3rd and Laird who was ranked 7th. In my opinion, he had a chance to go on a run and possibly hit the podium. He then had to medically forfeit at the big 10 championship and he (and many other seniors) had their last national tournament taken away from him. He no longer has eligibility.

The NCAA should have allowed Pagano and the rest of last years seniors to compete this year and get that chance back. Those seniors only had 3 opportunities to win a national title. The NCAA supplemented the problem by allowing anyone with eligibility this year to have 5 career chances to win a national title.

To answer your question, those seniors from 2019-20 would not be allowed to compete beyond this season because it would require a year of eligibility they no longer have. This year isn’t charging athletes one of their years of eligibility.
@SCNJ Thank you for that explanation. And as it happened, I sat right in front of Jordan’s mom and sister during his last match here. We didn’t know it would be his last match, and it sucked that he had to take a medical because he was fun to watch and could have made a run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT