ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano is interested

Hobbs is probably just doing his due diligence and at least giving the appearance of doing a full-fledged search as some cover, considering what happened with the hiring of Ash on a hasty schedule. Hobbs is not going to do something that will aggravate the big donors and potentially blow up in his face. At this point, with the loud drumbeat of big donors, former players and prominent fan groups, hiring Schiano is the easy thing for him to do.

Glad you finally admit what the inevitability is and was. At this point either Hobbs hires Schiano or he can come sit in the stands as a regular fan and as an Ex-Athletic Director.

Best of Luck,
Groz

So if it’s Schiano was there REALLY a need for a “search firm”?!?
Can we end the search firm talk. Its a must in hiring big $$ positions in college sports and the majority of schools do it. Too much money involved and these search firms have all the information at their fingertips that would take AD offices weeks to accumulate.

Can we end the search firm talk. Its a must in hiring big $$ positions in college sports and the majority of schools do it. Too much money involved and these search firms have all the information at their fingertips that would take AD offices weeks to accumulate.
That wasn’t my point...my point was IF...IF it really is Schiano, the one was not needed...

if there’s an AD that would pull such a boneheaded move it is RUTGERS after all

That wasn’t my point...my point was IF...IF it really is Schiano, the one was not needed...

I think there is truth to the rumor that Hobbs wasn't sold on GS. So if thats the case, he needed to hire a search firm to identify and vet potential options.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Glad you finally admit what the inevitability is and was. At this point either Hobbs hires Schiano or he can come sit in the stands as a regular fan and as an Ex-Athletic Director.

Best of Luck,
Groz
The easy thing to do is not necessarily the best thing to do. Would rather have PJ Fleck or Mike Leach. But the likelihood of either of those happening is slim. I don't seek or need your, or anyone else's approval.

Hobbs is being pressured into hiring a coach that will fail, and Hobbs will be probably be fired when he fails. Wonder if Hobbs will consider resigning
Hobbs already hired a coach that was the biggest failure in the history of the program and should consider resigning for that major screw up.

The easy thing to do is not necessarily the best thing to do. Would rather have PJ Fleck or Mike Leach. But the likelihood of either of those happening is slim. I don't seek or need your, or anyone else's approval.

Fine. If it happens, I just hope that you do stay true to your word and stick behind Greg and the team rather than criticizing every bad thing that might happen because it will take some time. We need to step up and get behind Rutgers more than ever.

By the way, if by some crazy chance, Mike Leach was named coach tomorrow, 90% of the people who want Greg to be coach, would stand behind Leach.

Best of Luck,
Groz

I agree it may be in his best interest to resign. Ash was already bad, but he's been set up as the "fall guy" for when Greg comes back - and demonstrates why no other school would hire him as a HC.

Hobbs already hired a coach that was the biggest failure in the history of the program and should consider resigning for that major screw up.

Fine. If it happens, I just hope that you do stay true to your word and stick behind Greg and the team rather than criticizing every bad thing that might happen because it will take some time. We need to step up and get behind Rutgers more than ever.

By the way, if by some crazy chance, Mike Leach was named coach tomorrow, 90% of the people who want Greg to be coach, would stand behind Leach.

Best of Luck,
Groz
Preach on brother Groz. I don't hide my feelings. I have doubts and reservations about Greg coming back, and I hope those doubts and reservations turn out to be unfounded. Hope that Greg attracts a terrific OC if he is hired.

I am not a "told you so" type of person like the posters who were so proud of their early predictions that Ash would fail. I stood by Flood to nearly the end, and I did not throw Ash under the bus prematurely. I still maintain that had Flood been given a proper assistant budget and he was able to hire competent OCs and DCs (evidenced by 2014 when Fridge was here), perhaps things would have turned out a little better for him. His Achilles heel (like Ash) was poor recruiting. Ash demonstrated he was in over his head from the beginning.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
IF these reports are true, that Hobbs had to be talked into considering Schiano and that Hobbs really wants Moorhead, then he should be fired immediately.

A blind, deaf, and dumb person can tell that Schiano should be the number one choice and that he should have been his first phone call.

IF Hobbs screws this up, he must be fire immediately!!!

I don't see any traction, ground swell or support for Morehead.

Hobbs, it's Schiano Stupid!

Get it fling done!

MO

It‘s a good thing some of the geniuses on this board are not our compliance officers. I’m only posting the following so this BS can get nipped in the bud. From the NCAA website:

(Someone) who has been publicly designated by the institution to become its next head coach shall be subject to the recruiting restrictions applicable to the institution’s head coach.​

Obviously, violating the spirit of that regulation would be dealt with harshly.

Can't divulge specific details because it's premium info., but there actually is a way Greg could, if announced as HC in the very near future, be able to begin recruiting immediately, as well as help on official visits, and stay within NCAA guidelines.

This isn't conjecture or rumor; it's been confirmed, (as per a premium article)...and I'll just leave things at that.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Reactions: gnamur
What kind of apocalyptic meltdown will this board have if Schiano is not hired?
None if it’s a Clawson or Norvell

You realize us GS advocates are clamoring for him because we realize there isn’t a chance in hell one of them is coming here.
But make the calls for sure...I agree

Last edited:
For recruiting purposes, isn't it critical to get Schiano in here ASAP? What's this "wait until after the season" nonsense all about?

Regardless if it is Schiano or not, Hobbs and the University still need to go through the process. They are about to invest millions of dollars in a coach and staff, they need to make sure they check all of the boxes.

thanks

Reactions: KevH and Loyal-Son
The non Schiano people want Saban or Urban. Might as well call Dabo too. Urban wants to coach the Cowboys when they fire muppet head.

It’s lol to hear the anti Schiano people gush about the 3 star guys he recruited and are in the NFL.

You can bash Schiano, but the trajectory was up the whole time he was at RU.

I’m fine with a Joey Freshwater. Anyone that can recruit and has charisma.

But to let Hobbs decide is a joke. We don’t need him bringing in another dud with no stain.

Regardless if it is Schiano or not, Hobbs and the University still need to go through the process. They are about to invest millions of dollars in a coach and staff, they need to make sure they check all of the boxes.

thanks
You hire said firm to look for a university president...but I suppose given how clueless Hobbs seems, one was also necessary for football...I fully expected a bad and expensive decision.

Even if you were to hire him tomorrow, you don’t announce him as your HC. HC’s can only visit schools 1 time. You announce him as an analyst or something with HC duties starting Day season ends.

Never thought of that loophole. Nice thinking outside the box, well done.

Hmm .. I don’t think it honestly works that way. If a loophole was that simple, everyone would have “that guy” no?
Positional coaches can visit kids more often now. They can’t visit during season for obvious reasons. Phone calls/ video chats are okay

Why
Why not add to his big state pension and be the biggest payed state employee again and get another free house why not. I be interested too.
Your absolutely right. What a poor investment Alabama has made making Saban the highest paid state employee. Every other state university for that matter.
Let’s just let our kids play in an empty stadium until we decide to get into the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Why not add to his big state pension and be the biggest payed state employee again and get another free house why not. I be interested too.
O you Blue Sneetches still mad that Dr. Seuss didn't give you a star. Let's go through this again. NJ taxpayers funded Rutgers Athletics to the tune of $13,542 total dollars. If I ever meet you, I will gladly give you your dime back.

Reactions: knightinaz
Hmm .. I don’t think it honestly works that way. If a loophole was that simple, everyone would have “that guy” no?
Positional coaches can visit kids more often now. They can’t visit during season for obvious reasons. Phone calls/ video chats are okay
It’s not a loophole. It’s just following the rules.

None if it’s a Clawson or Norvell

You realize us GS advocates are clamoring for him because we realize there isn’t a chance in hell one of them is coming here.
But make the calls for sure...I agree
I've mentioned Seth Littrell (Leach tree coach)here multiple times what do you think of him. UNT having a little bit of a down year with a new OC and some injuries but I've liked him and still do. Took over a 1 win team transitioned them from a pro style offense to a spread and took them to 3 straight bowls with 5, 9, 9 wins. All with a first time OC Graham Harrell and true freshman qb Mason Fine found out of nowhere. This a year a step back so far. Might be a perfect time to buy low.

He's been OC with downtrodden B10 school IU and Kevin Wilson and they had some very good offenses. He was OC at UNC when Fedora had their 11 win season and he's been a good OC at Arizona too.

One caveat though is got to make sure he gets a good DC. Say a trio of Littrell/Wilson/Brown or Littrell/Harrell/Brown or substitute Fuller from Memphis or Heacock/Howell if the budget is higher. What would you think of that?

Last edited:
Hobbs is probably just doing his due diligence and at least giving the appearance of doing a full-fledged search as some cover, considering what happened with the hiring of Ash on a hasty schedule. Hobbs is not going to do something that will aggravate the big donors and potentially blow up in his face. At this point, with the loud drumbeat of big donors, former players and prominent fan groups, hiring Schiano is the easy thing for him to do.

It's also the safe thing for him to do. I don't think Hobbs would be faulted for hiring Greg if it doesn't work out. Different story with probably any other coach.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It's also the safe thing for him to do. I don't think Hobbs would be faulted for hiring Greg if it doesn't work out. Different story with probably any other coach.
I mentioned this in the other thread. He's the AD I think he'll be faulted with any coach if he fails Schiano or otherwise. It won't matter who wanted what...I think it's a false notion to think he'll get reprieve if he hires Schiano and it doesn't work. High school coaches and fans lauded the hiring of Flood and the saving of the recruiting class....but it was twenty twenty hind sighted for being dumb and focusing on a single class. There was no reprieve.

It's his call and success or failure no matter who it is will lie at his feet. If you're gonna go down go down your way..no regrets because you're the AD you own it regardless of anything else happening around you.

I've mentioned Seth Littrell (Leach tree coach)here multiple times what do you think of him. UNT having a little bit of a down year with a new OC and some injuries but I've liked him and still do. Took over a 1 win team transitioned them from a pro style offense to a spread and took them to 3 straight bowls with 5, 9, 9 wins. All with a first time OC Graham Harrell and true freshman qb Mason Fine found out of nowhere. This a year a step back so far. Might be a perfect time to buy low.

He's been OC with downtrodden B10 school IU and Kevin Wilson and they had some very good offenses. He was OC at UNC when Fedora had their 11 win season and he's been a good OC at Arizona too.

One caveat though is got to make sure he gets a good DC. Say a trio of Littrell/Wilson/Brown or Littrell/Harrell/Brown or substitute Fuller from Memphis or Heacock/Howell if the budget is higher. What would you think of that?
He should be in consideration and is in the Top 10 of my list. UNT playing better lately.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I mentioned this in the other thread. He's the AD I think he'll be faulted with any coach if he fails Schiano or otherwise. It won't matter who wanted what...I think it's a false notion to think he'll get reprieve if he hires Schiano and it doesn't work. High school coaches and fans lauded the hiring of Flood and the saving of the recruiting class....but it was twenty twenty hind sighted for being dumb and focusing on a single class. There was no reprieve.

It's his call and success or failure no matter who it is will lie at his feet. If you're gonna go down go down your way..no regrets because you're the AD you own it regardless of anything else happening around you.

That's a totally fair point, but in my view this is such a unique situation -- i.e., it's Rutgers and fans, players, and boosters are pushing for one guy and one guy only; the only guy who ever had success here in the past 40 years -- that Hobbs would at least survive to get a third FBHC hire if Greg were to fail.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT