ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano on Tennessee short list

He's a bit long in the tooth to bribe with hookers and blow. Gonna have to work on his vanity instead.

I hear that some people will do things for you if you give them money. I think we should explore that option, just maybe see where it goes...

What an amazing coincidence that Schiano's first bowl and winning season came immediately after Miami and BC (two teams he never beat) left the conference after 2004. Another team he never beat, VT, left after 2003.

I am sure those things had nothing to do with Schiano's "success" afterward, nothing at all. The "improvement" listed above would still have occurred had those schools not left, of course.
The Big East in 2006 was pretty darn good. The week before Rutgers beat Louisville to go 9-0, Louisville was ranked #5 and beat WVU who was ranked #3 (both 7-0). When the BIG Ten east had 3 teams in the top 10 earlier this year we were all hooting and hollering that we play in the best conference on earth.

Too easy. He'll be onto that trick.

Well, this is getting too difficult. It's almost time for my nightly... um... nightcap.

BTW - have you been following the harrowing rate at which the Clipper Round-the-World has been killing people (again)?

Well, this is getting too difficult. It's almost time for my nightly... um... nightcap.

BTW - have you been following the harrowing rate at which the Clipper Round-the-World has been killing people (again)?
I haven’t. Sailing thread?

Schiano's teams had major weaknesses year after year that he was never able to correct. His best season was 10-2, a year in which he still did not beat West Virginia, even though he had two NFL caliber backs and two NFL caliber receivers, and WVU had a backup QB. He never won the conference, only one of two teams that never did that in the new Big East. Some coaches can never win the really big games that make champions. Schiano seems to be such a coach. Only one time did he hit the high note.

I respectfully disagree that vkj91 is a GS hater. He posts facts that the Gregbots and Greg shrine builders find troublesome.

That IMO is not a hater.
Funny he left out that GS did beat the BCS UCONN team with Chase Dodd. There are two sides to any argument. GoodO is also posting facts that haters find troublesome.

That article covers nearly the entire universe of top candidates, and ends with:

"Several national writers have floated Greg Schiano’s name. Might happen but we haven’t heard that much in the wind. Updated 6pm> Some in the profession reached out to us today to say don’t discount Schiano’s chances. Some we’ve spoken with today said Currie believes if some other things don’t fall into place that Schiano could be the guy."

So, in other words, like the Rocket, Greg is in the mix. :fistbump:

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Taking Schiano back as a coach is like Marty Schottenheimer was in the NFL. He gets you to the playoffs every year (bowl game) but loses In the first round. At first you like it, then hate it because you know he will never win he big game. I thank Greg for all he did here. I was a big fan of his and my wife went to high school with him. Nobody else could have done what he did. However he left at the worst possible time, never won a conference championship and never took us to a big bowl. Too many WTF loses and played easy schedules to make bowls. He would struggle in the B1G East. As a result, I wish him well and will root for him elsewhere, but I don’t want him back.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Taking Schiano back as a coach is like Marty Schottenheimer was in the NFL. He gets you to the playoffs every year (bowl game) but loses In the first round. At first you like it, then hate it because you know he will never win he big game. I thank Greg for all he did here. I was a big fan of his and my wife went to high school with him. Nobody else could have done what he did. However he left at the worst possible time, never won a conference championship and never took us to a big bowl. Too many WTF loses and played easy schedules to make bowls. He would struggle in the B1G East. As a result, I wish him well and will root for him elsewhere, but I don’t want him back.

Yet GS has proven he can build a program from scratch (our present condition) and bring it to a level of respectability (something we have lacked since he left).

I would rather have GS and a consistently respectable program than years and years of inconsistency, even if we never get to the “next level” alluded to so often on this board.

Reactions: thegock

Don't believe Coach Schiano ever lost a bowl game here. I'm afraid the only way Ash gets to a bowl is if someone sends him tickets.
Wait he did lose one in Arizona my bad.

Don't believe Coach Schiano ever lost a bowl game here. I'm afraid the only way Ash gets to a bowl is if someone sends him tickets.
Wait he did lose one in Arizona my bad.
He lost his first one, Insight bowl, to ASU. It was pretty much a home game for ASU.

Yet GS has proven he can build a program from scratch (our present condition) and bring it to a level of respectability (something we have lacked since he left).

I would rather have GS and a consistently respectable program than years and years of inconsistency, even if we never get to the “next level” alluded to so often on this board.
My friend used to say the same thing. He was the Kansas City Chief fan I more or less used in my example above. He used to argue that he liked winning 10-12 games every year and losing in the first round of the playoffs. I said I would rather suck for a few years, build up, win a championship (like the Giants) and repeat the cycle. After 7+ years of doing well and losing in the first round, he finally agreed that I was correct.

Also. Schiano used a weak schedule and conference to get respectable. I have higher aspirations for this program. Been a season ticket holder for almost 30 years and will be so win or lose.

The negativity regarding Ash mainly comes from the same 3 or 4 peioplee every day. Its one thing to make a statement on events that occur such as we played like crap this past week but to constantly bash Ash every day one has to ask....just what is your agenda and if you aren't happy then go find a team that will do that. Either that or stick with playing Madden Football.

The negativity regarding Ash mainly comes from the same 3 or 4 peioplee every day. Its one thing to make a statement on events that occur such as we played like crap this past week but to constantly bash Ash every day one has to ask....just what is your agenda and if you aren't happy then go find a team that will do that. Either that or stick with playing Madden Football.
I'm losing confidence in Ash, but even I realize he should be given 3 years before giving up on him.
Ash hurt himself with some of his original hires and the way the QB position was handled last season and this one makes me wonder about Ash being willing to make changes when needed, not when forced to.

Blame boy wonder or Mr.Kill, but as HC Ash is responsible for delays in needed changes.
Chris needed to be pulled before he was and Kyle stayed the starter for too long after proving he wasn't doing what was expected of him.
Those mistakes are on Ash .
Not saying the change brought better results, just saying he waited to long, both years, to see if it would .

Reactions: drewbagel423
I'm losing confidence in Ash, but even I realize he should be given 3 years before giving up on him.
Ash hurt himself with some of his original hires and the way the QB position was handled last season and this one makes me wonder about Ash being willing to make changes when needed, not when forced to.

Blame boy wonder or Mr.Kill, but as HC Ash is responsible for delays in needed changes.
Chris needed to be pulled before he was and Kyle stayed the starter for too long after proving he wasn't doing what was expected of him.
Those mistakes are on Ash .
Not saying the change brought better results, just saying he waited to long, both years, to see if it would .
Laviano's 2015 season stats are Baker Mayfield-esque compared our 2016 and 2017 passing numbers:
187 for
3072247yd 16 TDs and 12 INTs. 187 yards/game

If the NFL Tampa Bay Owners thought he was a worthy candidate then the folks in Knoxville will have no concerns about hiring him as their HC.

I'm convinced we would have knocked off #1 Miami in 2002 if that BS PI on Nate Jones didn't get called, negating a 100+ yard INT return TD which would have sent us into halftime with a 24-8 lead.

Was in my seat in Section 124 that day. Was a BS call that went against RU.
Apparently Butch Davis busted a chalkboard in the Locker room at half time and Miami came out and pounded us in the 2nd Half.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
If the NFL Tampa Bay Owners thought he was a worthy candidate then the folks in Knoxville will have no concerns about hiring him as their HC.

Disagree. Greg’s performance in Tampa hurt his reputation as a HC. Tennessee will evaluate that, while Tampa only saw the RU experience when they hired him based on Belichick’s recommendation.

Being out of FB for a few years is not an accomplishment for Greg either.

Tennessee is just as backwards as NJ but from a very different angle. He's no Phil Fulmer.

OSU gave up 30+ points three times this year; not sure that reflects well on the job Schiano's done. RU was a special job for him- he was so hungry and had been crafting his vision for what he'd do from the time he was a GA at PSU. Given his connections to Florida, he'd be a better fit for Florida, but just don't think he'll get the opportunity.
The couldnt have given up more than 30 points three times, Greg is a defensive genius.

Stop...you're smarter than this. the others, not so much
Why Mr. Myhatinthering, I swear if I didn’t know any better, I’d think you were appealing to my vanity. If this is all about intelligence and I’m as smart as you say, what if, and I’m merely being hypothetical here, but what if I am smarter than you, too? :)

In any event, when it comes to college football, given the choice between being dumb and happy or being smart and depressed, I’d choose happiness every day and twice on Sunday. It’s not like me being right or wrong about Ash is going to change anything for the better.

Why Mr. Myhatinthering, I swear if I didn’t know any better, I’d think you were appealing to my vanity. If this is all about intelligence and I’m as smart as you say, what if, and I’m merely being hypothetical here, but what if I am smarter than you, too? :)

In any event, when it comes to college football, given the choice between being dumb and happy or being smart and depressed, I’d choose happiness every day and twice on Sunday. It’s not like me being right or wrong about Ash is going to change anything for the better.
Now you're being intentionally obtuse

No vanity appealing here, u are smarter than your comment.

The couldnt have given up more than 30 points three times, Greg is a defensive genius.
He was hired by OSU. Think UM thinks so. I think he’ll get a pass on the TB history since no one has won at TB.

Laviano's 2015 season stats are Baker Mayfield-esque compared our 2016 and 2017 passing numbers:
187 for
3072247yd 16 TDs and 12 INTs. 187 yards/game

Damn that's a lot of yards. I think you miscalculated the yards/game though. Closer to 192k yards/game. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT