ADVERTISEMENT

Si article says it will be a long time until we see sports again. At least in person.

Pretty good explanation as to why all the talk about getting sports going any time soon (including CFB in the fall) is a waste of time.

"If people just decide to let it burn in most areas and we do lose a couple million people, it'd probably be over in the fall. You'd have football. You'd also have two million dead people."

I like football, but not that much.

The article is correct, you can bring back sports in the fall, but without a vaccine you will have to deal with a certain amount of serious corona virus cases among the athletes, coaches, officials, and sideline personnel even in a closed stadium. If the college administrators can live with just a few kids and coaches dying as a result of playing the games then we will have college football, but if even the death of one player or coach is deemed unacceptable than no college football. It comes down to how much value to these colleges place on the life of a student athlete or coach versus the $s they make from TV for football.

The article is correct, you can bring back sports in the fall, but without a vaccine you will have to deal with a certain amount of serious corona virus cases among the athletes, coaches, officials, and sideline personnel even in a closed stadium. If the college administrators can live with just a few kids and coaches dying as a result of playing the games then we will have college football, but if even the death of one player or coach is deemed unacceptable than no college football. It comes down to how much value to these colleges place on the life of a student athlete or coach versus the $s they make from TV for football.
Wrong. It doesn't come down to that at all. Nobody knows what's going to happen between now and September. It's all about testing.. But you're comment is just nonsense implying that administrators will be deciding if they're ok or not ok with a few kids dying. Just stop.

It will very likely be without fans but I'm extreme confident that the NFL will happen this year.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Wrong. It doesn't come down to that at all. Nobody knows what's going to happen between now and September. It's all about testing.. But you're comment is just nonsense implying that administrators will be deciding if they're ok or not ok with a few kids dying. Just stop.

It will very likely be without fans but I'm extreme confident that the NFL will happen this year.
Of course it comes down to that type of risk assessment, they do that now with sport safety equipment all the time. A certain amount of injury and even death is built into the athletic system, whether it be women's gymnastics, football, motor racing, etc. Do you know how many kids died playing college football in the early part of the 19th century, did you ever hear of the "flying wedge." We have taken a lot of the risk out of playing sports over time, but there is still a level of injury and possible death that society is willing to accept to play the games. This simply would be an additional risk, and the question becomes is it worth the additional risk to play the games and the ones making that decision would be the college administrators.

Nearly 3 of 4 Americans Say They Won’t Attend Games Without Coronavirus Vaccine

Develophttp://blogs.shu.edu/sportspoll/2020/04/09/nearly-3-of-4-americans-say-they-wont-attend-games-without-coronavirus-vaccine-developed/ed

I’m not Dr or Scientist, but no mention of antibody testing. What if 80% either have already had or are immune? It’s them that can go back to normal with the 20% not. Seems like that would be sufficient to get things going, no?

I’m all for health and safety first, just saying I didn’t see a mention if I read this article clearly.

"If people just decide to let it burn in most areas and we do lose a couple million people, it'd probably be over in the fall. You'd have football. You'd also have two million dead people."

I like football, but not that much.

The governor of Florida who won’t stop the churches may have to deal with this soon.

Nearly 3 of 4 Americans Say They Won’t Attend Games Without Coronavirus Vaccine

Develophttp://blogs.shu.edu/sportspoll/2020/04/09/nearly-3-of-4-americans-say-they-wont-attend-games-without-coronavirus-vaccine-developed/ed
It tells that a lot of state of our news media that this study saying that 3/4 of people won't attend games now has been broadcast far and wide without the context being added that, before the virus, nearly 2/3 of Americans were already not attending live sports events.

that’s when the hard decisions will have to be made. Cancelling and postponing in March was a no brainer but figuring out how far to push as things slowly return back to normal will be a challenge

We should stop driving vehicles too since they kill 60,000 people per year. Maybe CNN can add that death counter too?

Pretty sure baseball is starting in Taiwan today or tomorrow and the Korean league is in Spring Training as well I believe. No fans obviously but professional sports leagues can and will return this year in the US as well. I don’t think the nba and mlb will make it but I’d be floored if the nfl doesn’t play.

I think college football is in major jeopardy since the dynamics are a lot different with amateurs but NFL will find a way to play.

Silly sports person talking about the possible impact of a virus. Yea I will listen to him. And like most of talking heads acting like experts they all leave out the impact of science and report stats without context. The guy should stay home forever - I wont.

If a vaccine is found to be successful somewhere in the world will that company or group hold countries hostage? What if China already has a vaccine? What if the US gets a vaccine first do we give it out to all ?

If a vaccine is found to be successful somewhere in the world will that company or group hold countries hostage? What if China already has a vaccine? What if the US gets a vaccine first do we give it out to all ?
That would be a great movie.

In a world...”

Have to read it in that guy’s voice though. :)

Keep in mind that taking care of the chronically ill is a major industry in the USA.A sudden massive amount of deaths from this segment puts a lot of people on the unemployment line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT