ADVERTISEMENT

Simon deserves some reps

If we win 8 games, does Wimsatt deserve to be the QB? We do not have a 6-2 record without him. Our receiving core is not talented enough for a pure passer to have gotten us to 6 wins. Like it or not, he is one of the reasons we are where we are.
We absolutely have 6 wins regardless of Gavin…

Let’s reflect shall we…

Northwestern- program in complete turmoil who quite literally replaced their coach 2 weeks prior Gavin had 163 yds and 1 TD

Temple and Wagner are whatever throwaway games that either Gavin or Simon would win.

VT- Gavin was 7 for 15 for 46 yards…

Michigan St- Gavin did everything he could to lose us that game. I understand the excitement following such a comeback but let’s understand here, the ONLY reason that comeback occurred was msu’s incapacity to play special teams. Gavin had NOTHING to do with a muffed punt in the end zone and a kickoff return where the receiver doesn’t even know to call for a fair catch…

Indiana- Gavin had 5 completions for 39 yards TOTAL

Yes we’ve won 6 games, due to our defense and running game. The idea that Gavin has had anything to do with it is comically inaccurate

What is the definition red shirt sophomore?
A red shirt sophomore is a sophomore who will have 3 years of eligibility left at the end of the season. Basically what Gavin was last year. A true sophomore would have just 2 years eligiblity.
The "red shirt" before the academic class is a prefix that means he has an extra year of eligibility
A red shirt senior becomes a fifth year senior, the last year of eligibility.

Last edited:
GW adds a running element that keeps defenses honest but so would a qb who could hit rbs in the flat and on checkdowns. Aaron Youngs talents are completely wasted. He is a backup lead blocker in this offense. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine our running backs in space picking up first downs and making plays that equal or exceed the production from GW's running abilities. At least, it is certainly debatable anyway.

GW adds a running element that keeps defenses honest but so would a qb who could hit rbs in the flat and on checkdowns. Aaron Youngs talents are completely wasted. He is a backup lead blocker in this offense. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine our running backs in space picking up first downs and making plays that equal or exceed the production from GW's running abilities. At least, it is certainly debatable anyway.

Interesting point.
We basically don't throw to the RBs at all.
10 total receptions for the year.

Benjamin - 4 catches
KM, Brown, Young - 2 each

This is also impacted by the limited number of overall passes called. Don't really have the volume to get everyone involved.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
Another one ugh! So you are saying that, not only I'm wrong but so are Rutgers, ESPN and this very site Rivals are all wrong too??
He is a red shirt Junior. Which means he is academically a Junior and he red shirted a year so he has 2 years of eligibility left after this season. That's how it works. You are simple and wrong.

A true freshman vs a red shirt freshman is what then?

You're a redshirt freshman when you're a true freshman? HS seniors are red shirt freshman? F you talkin about? There are 5 years total eligibility if a redshirt is used.

If you redshirt as a true academic freshman, then the eligibility tolls, making you an athletic "redshirt" (since you didn't really play the first year) first year athletic "red shirt freshman" as an academic sophomore. Gavin is in his second year of full season athletics, year 2 is sophomore year. He is a redshirt sophomore.

Interesting point.

Benjamin - 4 catches
KM, Brown, Young - 2 each

This is also impacted by the limited number of overall passes called. Don't really have the volume to get everyone involved.
Wow I didn't know the running backs that few catches.

Young is fast and runs hard and is a good blocker, he should definitely see the field more. Not sure why he is not the #2 back.

A red shirt sophomore is a sophomore who will have 3 years of eligibility left at the end of the season. Basically what Gavin was last year. A true sophomore would have just 2 years eligiblity.
The "red shirt" before the academic class is a prefix that means he has an extra year of eligibility
Go look at Sam Portnoy’s bio on the baseball roster and you will see you are wrong.

Why all the hate for a QB that has lead up to bowl eligibility? The kid is a good. Leave him alone.
I don’t see hate at all he is 113 out of 113 in passing accuracy.
That’s the truth it’s simple Math. The pick sixes are devastating
What does that have to do with hate
We were leading at half and our QB had little to do with that.

Interesting point.

Yeap. GW is averaging about 4 and 1/2 a carry. Considering a qb who could average 2 and involve the offensive strength (rbs) more in space is not lunacy or madness. it may be inaccurate or wishful thinking but there is a cost to not being able to hit the shorter throws repeatedly that could turn into big plays. GW has had 9 games to show that big game potential running and has hit jackpot in one of them against Indiana. I'd wager on the Rbs in space hitting for big plays with more frequency than that. Sure it's a vast oversimplification but so are the GW passionate defenses.

Another thing people don't seem to understand....that delayed hand off some of you complain about is part of the reason monangai is on his way to 1,000 yards this year..it causes the defense to pause because of the threat of Gavin taking off. I'd like to see him keep it more, but the coaches are developing him slowly... patience is a virtue..
Developing him slowly? Sure when it comes to seeing the whole field or maybe more complicated concepts but not in when to pull it or hand it off. That’s 7th grade stuff. He needs to pull it more even if he’s wrong on occasion.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
As Politi indicated if we even have average QB play we win yesterday. GW has been a problem.
This is where you guys are off .."he has been a problem" his passing has been a problem but he has been one of the main reasons the team is bowl eligible this year...his passing has been really really bad at times. But he has shown a big arm and the potential to become more accurate...add on to that his running abilities and there will be D1 teams that try and get him to transfer to their program. Next year, that's how bad the QB situation is in the NCAA...and I posted this on a couple other threads.
Hey, what am I going to say? Lol this can go on forever...yes hes been real bad throwing the ball this year. As many NCAA QBs and offenses have been this year. Yes there are better QBs out there, maybe RU will get one in the transfer portal. I see there is a subscription based article on potential transfer portal targets on the front page of this site. Sign up for premium and start scouting, be the change you want to see like Scott stallions. Then make your yearly contribution to the Rutgers NIL fund or begin to contribute whatever you can if you haven't already. Then solicit whoever else you can for nil donations because any drake mayes or sam Hartman's in the portal are going to be showered with offers.

In my case, I like to base myself in reality while remaining optimistic about the future.

Paging @WhiteBus

You are all kinds of confused.

GW
2021 redshirt (only played 3 games)
2022 - redshirt fr
2023 - red so
2024 - red jr
2025 - red sr

GW is a red so. with 2 more years to play after this year.

If GW played 5 games in 2021, he would be considered a junior, with 1 more year of playing eligibility. In this scenario, he could play his last season in 2024 or redshirt in 2024 and play in 2025.

Just acknowledge you're wrong and move on.

Last edited:
This is where you guys are off .."he has been a problem" his passing has been a problem but he has been one of the main reasons the team is bowl eligible this year...his passing has been really really bad at times. But he has shown a big arm and the potential to become more accurate...add on to that his running abilities and there will be D1 teams that try and get him to transfer to their program. Next year, that's how bad the QB situation is in the NCAA...and I posted this on a couple other threads.
Hey, what am I going to say? Lol this can go on forever...yes hes been real bad throwing the ball this year. As many NCAA QBs and offenses have been this year.

If the QB situation is so bad everywhere, why does the Rutgers QB have to be near the very bottom in almost all the passing metrics? Are you saying in a year of alleged bad qb play, GW is even worse? The alleged universal bad qb play doesnt seem like a defense of the Rutgers situation. Besides, stats are always relative to the oresent competition. Relatively speaking, he is struggling. The improved play around him and the flexible play calling has covered up just how much.

Some of these posts are blind to reality. If you want to know what the nation thinks about our QB situation, go back and see what neutral fans were saying in that Ohio State game thread on Reddit. Hint: it wasn't complimentary about Wimsatt. I usually look through the Reddit game threads and so many people were asking why we had such a "trash QB" or why our "QB situation is so deficient." The reason why people ask that is because the expectation is that you have a QB who is pass-first, which we aren't really, so I think those comments are bit extreme but they do get at the root of the problem which is, to me, inconsistency.

I personally think he is a great running QB who fits into our system very well, but the fact that he still can't consistently hit guy 5 yards away from him with no defenders in sight is a major problem. I don't think it's crazy to say hey, if we need big pass plays to come back and win a game, to let another QB whose main strength is passing to come in for those drives. Not every team will pull a Michigan State (or USC against Washington last night lol) and totally fold like paper against the run. It is a team game, after all. Though if Schiano thinks our other QBs trade-off in passing quality isn't good enough to overcome what Wimsatt brings, then so be it.

All we see is a Rutgers team which seems to play well with Gavin. Gavin also believe it or not is part of the O line improvement. Not having to hold their blocks as long. Not having to worry that he can’t scramble out of the pocket when protection breaks down. It allows these guys to not have to think too long. It has also made the running game damn good. We’ll see if they can move the ball against Iowa’s vaunted D this week. Just don’t force the pass … take what they give and suck the life out of them. WE OWE THEM ….

By all accounts Wimsatt is a great kid and an awesome ambassador to the program. But this level of qb play is not acceptable, and worse yet, he’s not improving. Accuracy and decision making aren’t there and doubt they will ever be.

I don’t think Simon’s the answer either but in limited time this year he looked solid. He needs to get some playtime. We can’t keep putting blind faith in GW without results.
Rutgers doesn’t owe Simon reps. If you think otherwise that’s incorrect. We have a player who does have many strengths which cause Defenses to make mistakes. If in the next 2 years Gavin takes yet another step up in his accuracy then we all can revisit . He has played how many full games since he arrived at Rutgers? 16 -17? My prediction is Simon will probably transfer. Hope I’m wrong but it appears it is possible.

If the QB situation is so bad everywhere, why does the Rutgers QB have to be near the very bottom in almost all the passing metrics? Are you saying in a year of alleged bad qb play, GW is even worse? The alleged universal bad qb play doesnt seem like a defense of the Rutgers situation. Besides, stats are always relative to the oresent competition. Relatively speaking, he is struggling. The improved play around him and the flexible play calling has covered up just how much.
I'm saying every year in college football is a year of bad QB play and that more teams than you think would quickly take Gavin as their QB instead of what they have. Ru's top playmaker is a walk on, a passing offense is made up of many moving parts. Gavin has been terrible passing at times but his receivers don't do him any favors. RUs offense is better than most I watch on a Saturday outside of the pac12, and even then some of the QBs are average at best but have weapons far superior than anything on the Rutgers sidelines..he's not the most dynamic running QB but he's enough of a threat to run the offense ru is running this year. The delayed hand off doesn't work with any other QB on RU roster. You want to talk about the transfer portal fine but don't sell Gavin short on his contributions to the offense.

Some of these posts are blind to reality. If you want to know what the nation thinks about our QB situation, go back and see what neutral fans were saying in that Ohio State game thread on Reddit. Hint: it wasn't complimentary about Wimsatt. I usually look through the Reddit game threads and so many people were asking why we had such a "trash QB" or why our "QB situation is so deficient." The reason why people ask that is because the expectation is that you have a QB who is pass-first, which we aren't really, so I think those comments are bit extreme but they do get at the root of the problem which is, to me, inconsistency.

I personally think he is a great running QB who fits into our system very well, but the fact that he still can't consistently hit guy 5 yards away from him with no defenders in sight is a major problem. I don't think it's crazy to say hey, if we need big pass plays to come back and win a game, to let another QB whose main strength is passing to come in for those drives. Not every team will pull a Michigan State (or USC against Washington last night lol) and totally fold like paper against the run. It is a team game, after all. Though if Schiano thinks our other QBs trade-off in passing quality isn't good enough to overcome what Wimsatt brings, then so be it.
If Rutgers had a QB that could lead an offense dependent on the pass with these weapons I'm pretty sure they would be splitting time. We have average at best but most likely mediocre QBs behind wimsatt...the offense is better than most with wimsatt at Qb, best offense ru has had in a decade but we aren't the ones based in reality? Lol

Ahhh ok. This makes more sense. I agree others would be interested. He seemingly has lots of potential but lots of athletes in.lots of sports with lots of talent dontt always improve as much as expected. I'm sure other coaches think they have the key to unlocking that potential though. Not certain I agree about the moving parts bringing him down but I understand your point.

Lol I'm guessing the coaches watch practice...we all sawm Simon throw multiple ints and bad balls last year. Maybe he improved tremendously, you think the coaches don't want to win? Why would they not play Simon if he was better than wimsatt?
I truly don't understand this persistent pro-Wimsatt argument. We all saw Gavin Wimsatt "throw multiple int's and bad balls last year"!!! His stat line was no better than Evan's. On top of that we've seen "some flashes" of improvement in Gavin but have watched Gavin throw multiple bad balls and game changing int.'s THIS year. "If" Evan lost the Nebraska game LAST year, then Gavin lost the Wisconsin and OSU games THIS year. With the limited opportunities he's been given, Evan has also show signs of improvement this year - under a competent OC/QB coach - the same benefits everyone is eagerly attributing to Wimsatt's improvement.
Re the question as to why they wouldn't give Evan a fair shake: the added "complexities" of NIL serve as a very plausible possibility.

I truly don't understand this persistent pro-Wimsatt argument. We all saw Gavin Wimsatt "throw multiple int's and bad balls last year"!!! His stat line was no better than Evan's. On top of that we've seen "some flashes" of improvement in Gavin but have watched Gavin throw multiple bad balls and game changing int.'s THIS year. "If" Evan lost the Nebraska game LAST year, then Gavin lost the Wisconsin and OSU games THIS year. With the limited opportunities he's been given, Evan has also show signs of improvement this year - under a competent OC/QB coach - the same benefits everyone is eagerly attributing to Wimsatt's improvement.
Re the question as to why they wouldn't give Evan a fair shake: the added "complexities" of NIL serve as a very plausible possibility.
Ok Mr. Simon we understand… your son Evan ,if still here , will have every opportunity to win the job in the spring. One thing with Schiano part 2 he has been more right than wrong. I don’t doubt Evan has improved as most of the team has taken a very big jump in production. Did you speak to Schiano , Ciarrocca , Pat Hobbs? So how many interceptions has Gavin thrown? Fumbles lost? TD’s vs total passes. They said the same about Ray Lucas early in his career.

Why all the hate for a QB that has lead up to bowl eligibility? The kid is a good. Leave him alone.
spoken like a person who is mediocre

why, I'll tell you why; because it's the position holding the team back from being top 25.

I'll argue the team won in spite of Gav's flaws and play.

I'm not sure why anyone would think Simon would be a viable replacement for Wimaett, he's not really an RPO QB, even if he was a more accurate passer, which he may be in the run game he is not even close to Wimsett.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I'm not sure why anyone would think Simon would be a viable replacement for Wimaett, he's not really an RPO QB, even if he was a more accurate passer, which he may be in the run game he is not even close to Wimsett.
We have several fans who will claim Evan Simon got screwed , the fix was in and Greg Schiano was unfair and did not give him a chance. Total nonsense . He is a competent number 2 … there are any number of number 2’s sitting. Is he going to transfer to another P5? Don ‘t see that happening but moving down could very well happen.

By all accounts Wimsatt is a great kid and an awesome ambassador to the program. But this level of qb play is not acceptable, and worse yet, he’s not improving. Accuracy and decision making aren’t there and doubt they will ever be.

I don’t think Simon’s the answer either but in limited time this year he looked solid. He needs to get some playtime. We can’t keep putting blind faith in GW without results.
Looked solid in limited time? He has thrown 3 passes.

Ok Mr. Simon we understand… your son Evan ,if still here , will have every opportunity to win the job in the spring. One thing with Schiano part 2 he has been more right than wrong. I don’t doubt Evan has improved as most of the team has taken a very big jump in production. Did you speak to Schiano , Ciarrocca , Pat Hobbs? So how many interceptions has Gavin thrown? Fumbles lost? TD’s vs total passes. They said the same about Ray Lucas early in his career.
you're a cancer here

If I were a mod, I'd boot your ass as you add zero to these discussions, are more emotional than a 14yr old with her first crush and do nothing but act like a pompous, self righteous , know it all while attacking everyone in almost every post.

you're a cancer

Let's be serious, not only would Simon have issues running an RPO offense, he would also cost Kyle M. Yardage. As a runner Simon does not represent half the threat Gavin represents, so unless your going to change the whole offensive approach, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Let's be serious, not only would Simon have issues running an RPO offense, he would also cost Kyle M. Yardage. As a runner Simon does not represent half the threat Gavin represents, so unless your going to change the whole offensive approach, it makes no sense whatsoever.
What you said makes no sense at all.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Did you not see the safeties run blitzing all day Saturday? a more competent passer keeps defenses honest too

We absolutely have 6 wins regardless of Gavin…

Let’s reflect shall we…

Northwestern- program in complete turmoil who quite literally replaced their coach 2 weeks prior Gavin had 163 yds and 1 TD

Temple and Wagner are whatever throwaway games that either Gavin or Simon would win.

VT- Gavin was 7 for 15 for 46 yards…

Michigan St- Gavin did everything he could to lose us that game. I understand the excitement following such a comeback but let’s understand here, the ONLY reason that comeback occurred was msu’s incapacity to play special teams. Gavin had NOTHING to do with a muffed punt in the end zone and a kickoff return where the receiver doesn’t even know to call for a fair catch…

Indiana- Gavin had 5 completions for 39 yards TOTAL

Yes we’ve won 6 games, due to our defense and running game. The idea that Gavin has had anything to do with it is comically inaccurate
It’s all about the running game and our QB has 7 rushing TDs. Yeah, GW has nothing to do with it. Talk about comically inaccurate

No he is not a sophomore. Do you stupid people understand the Red Shirt rule? Obviously not! He is a Red shirt Junior. Says right there on the Rutgers Roster that I posted.
You are wrong. He is a junior academically, no one is denying that, but athletically he is a redshirt sophomore. He was true freshman in 2021 when he redshirted. He was a redshirt freshman last year and a redshirt sophomore this year.

Nope.

When will people finally understand that we don’t run RPO. Wimsatt isn’t asked to make those reads. The handoff or run is predetermined.

Switching QBs with very different talents is easier said than done. Many of the plays each can adequately do are different. The new QB won’t have had the practice reps and the offense won’t have had the extensive practice time with the different plays.

The coaches decided very early that Wimsatt will be QB1 despite his passing limitations knowing it would be a season-long commitment (barring injury). They opted for a runner instead of a passer and implemented plays accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: winfield102
It’s all about the running game and our QB has 7 rushing TDs. Yeah, GW has nothing to do with it. Talk about comically inaccurate
Gavin had a nice game with his legs vs Indiana. I believe wholeheartedly Simon or Gavin could beat Indiana as our qb, Simon more with his arm, Gavin his legs. There’s not another game this season outside of Wagner where Gavin has been ‘the reason we won’. That’s complete nonsense which was the point I was replying to.

I’d love to hear how Gavin had anything to do with our wins over VT and MSU, the most impressive wins on our resume

When will people finally understand that we don’t run RPO. Wimsatt isn’t asked to make those reads. The handoff or run is predetermined.

Switching QBs with very different talents is easier said than done. Many of the plays are different. The new QB won’t have had the practice reps and the offense won’t have had the extensive practice time with the different plays.

The coaches decided very early that Wimsatt will be QB1 despite his passing limitations knowing it would be a season-long commitment (barring injury). They opted for a runner instead of a passer and implemented plays accordingly.
stop, a few of us are enjoying watching the supposed experts out themselves here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT