ADVERTISEMENT

Simon deserves some reps

Gavin had a nice game with his legs vs Indiana. I believe wholeheartedly Simon or Gavin could beat Indiana as our qb, Simon more with his arm, Gavin his legs. There’s not another game this season outside of Wagner where Gavin has been ‘the reason we won’. That’s complete nonsense which was the point I was replying to.

I’d love to hear how Gavin had anything to do with our wins over VT and MSU, the most impressive wins on our resume
Sorry, you are just not watching. GW helped win the IU and MSU game. He threw a beautiful TD in the back of the end zone and followed up with a 2pt conversion pass in the MSU game. He won the IU game with his legs.

Sorry, you are just not watching. GW helped win the IU and MSU game. He threw a beautiful TD in the back of the end zone and followed up with a 2pt conversion pass in the MSU game. He won the IU game with his legs.
I think both your points can be true and are not mutually exclusive. Wimsatt is capable of making big plays. But he’s not someone you can count on to make big plays and win games. He’s a much better version of Vedral but still a game manager.

that series in the msu game was nice. GW shows flashes. It's true. He also had a sub 50%completion rate for the game which is the ongoing issue some are complaining about.

Ok? Ok? What’s this “ok”?

No F-bombs? No insults? No overly emotional unprovoked personal attacks?

Is this calm and rational “ok” post even allowed here?

I’m gonna have to report you to the mods for… for… for deescalating. The very nerve of some people. 😀

Reactions: winfield102
The kid is ok as a runner. NOT a good, accurate, consistent passer with touch. Will it happen? Juries out.
The kid is a good runner, lesser the passer but what he does do is make Monangai so much better… add in the OL and we can at least move the ball.

Reactions: shields
@WhiteBus

U sober up and realize he is a redshirt soph yet?

If he was a redshirt junior as you say, he'd be a redshirt senior in 2024 and that would be his last season. We all agree he has 2 more years to play though. What would he be called in 2025?

“The Senior, formerly known as Redshirt Senior?”

Is someone here having a senior moment?

"Si Señor"

Last edited:
By all accounts Wimsatt is a great kid and an awesome ambassador to the program. But this level of qb play is not acceptable, and worse yet, he’s not improving. Accuracy and decision making aren’t there and doubt they will ever be.

I don’t think Simon’s the answer either but in limited time this year he looked solid. He needs to get some playtime. We can’t keep putting blind faith in GW without results.
Guess Greg has allowed you into his closed practices.

Dude his TD pass vs msu came down 18 points! You can’t possibly be that stupid…. You can’t possibly believe a qb had anything to do with that comeback. That comeback came because of a muffed punt in the end zone, a returner who doesn’t know how to call for a fair catch on a kickoff, and monongai going OFF in the fourth quarter. Gavin had nothing to do with that win, he’ll he tried everything he could to LOSE us that game.

I agree he had a nice game with his legs vs Indiana. He did nothing with his arm and I believe Simon also could have led us to victory that day.

You also talked about Indiana when I brought up VT. I agree Gavin had a nice game with his legs vs Indiana, the only game this year he’s really been a factor with his legs outside of Wagner. Reality is outside of Indiana and Wagner Gavin has 200 yds rushing and 2 TD’s in his other 7 games. To rest your laurels on that kind of production is comically bad.

So I ask again, what did Gavin have to do with our VT victory? Your explanation for MSU failed, you’re wrong there. 1 TD pass and a 2 pt conversion does not make up for multiple turnovers. That not what ‘won us the game’.

Care to try again?

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
Dude his TD pass vs msu came down 18 points! You can’t possibly be that stupid…. You can’t possibly believe a qb had anything to do with that comeback. That comeback came because of a muffed punt in the end zone, a returner who doesn’t know how to call for a fair catch on a kickoff, and monongai going OFF in the fourth quarter. Gavin had nothing to do with that win, he’ll he tried everything he could to LOSE us that game.

I agree he had a nice game with his legs vs Indiana. He did nothing with his arm and I believe Simon also could have led us to victory that day.

You also talked about Indiana when I brought up VT. I agree Gavin had a nice game with his legs vs Indiana, the only game this year he’s really been a factor with his legs outside of Wagner. Reality is outside of Indiana and Wagner Gavin has 200 yds rushing and 2 TD’s in his other 7 games. To rest your laurels on that kind of production is comically bad.

So I ask again, what did Gavin have to do with our VT victory? Your explanation for MSU failed, you’re wrong there. 1 TD pass and a 2 pt conversion does not make up for multiple turnovers. That not what ‘won us the game’.

Care to try again?
Lol wow...the quarterback runs the offense. This particular offense is run based. Majority of the run plays are off of the QB option which causes a delayed hand off. This delay pauses the defense and doesn't allow them to make decisive reads and run to the football. This is because they have to respects Gavins ability to take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Whether you respect that ability or not, opposing coaches respect it and it's part of the reason monangai is close to 1000 yards already. You want a better QB from the transfer portal then cool. But don't discredit what Gavin brings to the team to try and drive your point home. Just get your nil money ready and start scouting potential transfers. This team is not 6-3 without gav. Knock it off

Last edited:
It is comical how he insults everyone by telling them how completely stupid they are all while being totally wrong, and then just ghosts the thread.
He's trolling lol when people are being incredibly dumb and disrespectful when you try to respectfully correct them it's an obvious troll. Starting to think most of these complaints about Gavin are from trolls because it doesn't make sense lol..best offense ru has had in a decade one of the better offenses in the big ten. I'm thinking rivals has trolls to generate engagement on these boards..whatever it's fun to talk football, but if rivals is going to be toxic like twitter, I'll stick to the basketball forum until it becomes too popular and attracts bored trolls.

. . . We can’t keep putting blind faith in GW without results.
Bowl eligibility notwithstanding.

By the way, Simon might get reps starting this coming game, when he can still play all 3 remaining regular season games and not blow his redshirt, or afterward, when he can play all the way through the blind-faith bowl game.

Last edited:
I'm not certain that's true. It may be. The coaches may also be enamored with talent and future potential rather than current advantage. If that's the case, nobody knows of that potential will ever be actualized.

Michigan State game was also the game where coach was yelling at Strong for dropping pass right in his hands. Wimsatt is not accurate but receivers have dropped a number of passes.

He's trolling lol when people are being incredibly dumb and disrespectful when you try to respectfully correct them it's an obvious troll. Starting to think most of these complaints about Gavin are from trolls because it doesn't make sense lol..best offense ru has had in a decade one of the better offenses in the big ten. I'm thinking rivals has trolls to generate engagement on these boards..whatever it's fun to talk football, but if rivals is going to be toxic like twitter, I'll stick to the basketball forum until it becomes too popular and attracts bored trolls.
There are many as we all know . It has always been this way . Remember you won’t see as many after a win and even then they will post negatively about Rutgers , a player, a coach and then lest we forget the several Schiano haters. Watch out if Greg gets a salary boost and extension after the season and before next year. Oh yes they’ll be out in full force.

Lol wow...the quarterback runs the offense. This particular offense is run based. Majority of the run plays are off of the QB option which causes a delayed hand off. This delay pauses the defense and doesn't allow them to make decisive reads and run to the football. This is because they have to respects Gavins ability to take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Whether you respect that ability or not, opposing coaches respect it and it's part of the reason monangai is close to 1000 yards already. You want a better QB from the transfer portal then cool. But don't discredit what Gavin brings to the team to try and drive your point home. Just get your nil money ready and start scouting potential transfers. This team is not 6-3 without gav. Knock it off
Let’s review what happened at msu again shall we?

Muffed punt in the end zone, TD Rutgers, returner doesn’t know how to call a fair catch, explain how Gavin has anything to do with that…. Next first snap turns around and hands the ball to Monongai who takes it 35 yds to the house.

So you wanna give credit to a guy for handing the ball off?

Real talk, outside on Indiana and Wagner, Gavin has not been a factor with his legs. Claiming a guy who has 200 yds rushing and 2 td’s in 7 games is the furthest thing from a player defenses ‘need to respect because he can take it to the house from anywhere on the field’. It’s not the case man, I’m sorry you’re wrong

We don't run an RPO offense, plays are all predetermined what the hell are you watching RU95? I guess Greg Schano doesn't understand what his OC is doing? Listen to GS post Indiana presser where he says Gavin made all the right reads on his long TD run, he must be mistaken? Jeez what a dumb thing to say

Reactions: TRU2RU
Let’s review what happened at msu again shall we?

Muffed punt in the end zone, TD Rutgers, returner doesn’t know how to call a fair catch, explain how Gavin has anything to do with that…. Next first snap turns around and hands the ball to Monongai who takes it 35 yds to the house.

So you wanna give credit to a guy for handing the ball off?

Real talk, outside on Indiana and Wagner, Gavin has not been a factor with his legs. Claiming a guy who has 200 yds rushing and 2 td’s in 7 games is the furthest thing from a player defenses ‘need to respect because he can take it to the house from anywhere on the field’. It’s not the case man, I’m sorry you’re wrong
It doesn't matter what your opinion is, it's what defensive coaches game plan for. You are arguing against something that everyone that's ever played defense on any level of football understands; the hand off isn't delayed for fun lol. But carry on

Last edited:
We don't run an RPO offense, plays are all predetermined what the hell are you watching RU95? I guess Greg Schano doesn't understand what his OC is doing? Listen to GS post Indiana presser where he says Gavin made all the right reads on his long TD run, he must be mistaken? Jeez what a dumb thing to say

I think we run the illusion of RPO. Most, if not all, seem to be predetermined based on what we are seeing with our eyes.

Everyone has been begging for that keeper that went for 80 yards. The opportunity has been there often each game.

If it is a real RPO, then he isn't running it well and isn't getting coached up (or the coaching isn't taking). There is plenty of tape where he should have pulled it from KM but didn't.

With our passing game, it looks like there is no coming off of the primary receiver. Not sure if that's a GW issue or KC/GS direction as a sack basically ends the drive for us. We have almost no interest in trying to convert a 3rd and 6+. With the OSU DL, do we want him working thru a progression?

Care to try again?
I was right. You weren’t watching. LOL
Score was 24-13 MSU after the punt fumble
GW TD pass to IW and 2 pt conversion pass to CD to make it 24-21.

Gav is not reading the option, he knows what he is doing presnap.

sorry you don't see that

Reactions: winfield102
I think we run the illusion of RPO. Most, if not all, seem to be predetermined based on what we are seeing with our eyes.

Everyone has been begging for that keeper that went for 80 yards. The opportunity has been there often each game.

If it is a real RPO, then he isn't running it well and isn't getting coached up (or the coaching isn't taking). There is plenty of tape where he should have pulled it from KM but didn't.

With our passing game, it looks like there is no coming off of the primary receiver. Not sure if that's a GW issue or KC/GS direction as a sack basically ends the drive for us. We have almost no interest in trying to convert a 3rd and 6+. With the OSU DL, do we want him working thru a progression?
we do not have a RPO offense, Gav is not making that decision out there....................not this year anyway.

hopefully not next year as someone needs to step up or come in

I think both your points can be true and are not mutually exclusive. Wimsatt is capable of making big plays. But he’s not someone you can count on to make big plays and win games. He’s a much better version of Vedral but still a game manager.
I’m just curious - what exactly do you think Gavin does “much” better than Vedral did before his injury? You do realize how much better our OL is now compared to the 2021 OL, right?

I think GW has a much stronger arm and therefore the D has to respect the vertical game. If you think defenses crowd the box now, you should have seen the alignments facing Vedral.

GW is also a faster and stronger runner. He can run downhill or around the edge while Vedral could only duck and dodge between the tackles for a few yards at most.

a healthy Vedral wasn’t good enough to start or play much at Nebraska and I think UCF. He just wasn’t a legit FBS QB talent. There was no upside.

Last edited:
I think GW has a much stronger arm and therefore the D has to respect the vertical game. If you think defenses crowd the box now, you should have seen the alignments facing Vedral.

GW is also a faster and stronger runner. He can run downhill or around the edge while Vedral could only duck and dodge between the tackles for a few yards at most.

a healthy Vedral wasn’t good enough to start or play much at Nebraska and I think UCF. He just wasn’t a legit FBS QB talent. There was no upside.

So your saying Gavin would’ve seen PT as a true frosh QB playing on a 13-0 UCF team that took down 7th ranked Auburn in the Peach bowl? Just asking…

As for crowding the box, don’t you think it’s a limiting factor that our QB can’t consistently complete lateral passes. Or rather - I should say it with a more positive spin. Do you not agree it would add an element to the offense to be able to run those types of plays more regularly to change things up?

Last edited:
Gav is not reading the option, he knows what he is doing presnap.

sorry you don't see that

Correct - and regardless of what one otherwise thinks of the coaching staff, this is not a decision anyone can question with a straight face. It’s blatantly obvious that Gavin isn’t capable of doing anything but exactly the play that’s called for except throw the ball away or run with it. He’s shown no signs whatsoever of being able to adjust to a play gone south and find someone else downfield. None.

Correct - and regardless of what one otherwise thinks of the coaching staff, this is not a decision anyone can question with a straight face. It’s blatantly obvious that Gavin isn’t capable of doing anything but exactly the play that’s called for except throw the ball away or run with it. He’s shown no signs whatsoever of being able to adjust to a play gone south and find someone else downfield. None.
agree

it's almost comical for anyone to suggest otherwise on both counts

to his credit on the latter however, it's about reps and time under center as much as what's between his ears. I think he can get better here but to be honest, I'd rather get someone else through the portal

So your saying Gavin would’ve seen PT as a true frosh QB playing on a 13-0 UCF team that took down 7th ranked Auburn in the Peach bowl? Just asking…

As for crowding the box, don’t you think it’s a limiting factor that our QB can’t consistently complete lateral passes. Or rather - I should say it with a more positive spin. Do you not agree it would add an element to the offense to be able to run those types of plays more regularly to change things up?
What is your point ? Why are we comparing to Vedral ? Sure it’s limiting. Half this board and most of the players on the roster could have completed the screen that Wimsatt threw 8 feet over Langan’s head.

It was worse with Vedral. He couldn’t reach the sideline from the opposite hash, couldn’t see the middle of the field and had no ability to throw long. All 11 defenders inside 10 yards.

None of that matters now. HC doesn’t want to risk INTs or incomplete passes to stop the clock. He wants safe offense and short games that the D can win. GW is delivering that for the most part..

What is your point ? Why are we comparing to Vedral ? Sure it’s limiting. Half this board and most of the players on the roster could have completed the screen that Wimsatt threw 8 feet over Langan’s head.

It was worse with Vedral. He couldn’t reach the sideline from the opposite hash, couldn’t see the middle of the field and had no ability to throw long. All 11 defenders inside 10 yards.

None of that matters now. HC doesn’t want to risk INTs or incomplete passes to stop the clock. He wants safe offense and short games that the D can win. GW is delivering that for the most part..
3 backbreaking and gamechanging INTs say hello

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops

My point is that I don’t agree with you. I think a healthy Vedral with eligibility remaining would’ve beaten out Wimsatt and would be playing this year. Easily. And we’d probably have at least one more win. Further to this point, what we have on our QB bench this year isn’t remotely as reliable as Vedral. We have a true frosh and a mediocre pocket passer type that doesn’t fit our style. For this year - Gavin is the best we’ve got. Next year - we’ll see.

3 backbreaking and gamechanging INTs say hello

Look - the INTs have been untimely but he hasn’t really turned it over that much this year, in fairness. The real issue is his accuracy issues. For his completion rate to be worst in the country is scary considering how much time he has to throw the ball. But he protects the ball and can run so for right now he’s the best we’ve got.

If my aunt had… NV doesn’t have eligibility.

Yea he is the best we have now and I would be absolutely floored if Schiano changes QB1s next year.

The ‘competition’ probably never was.

Last edited:
These QB fan debates are always fun.

Fans always seem to forget that the coaching staff doesn't need to see the QBs in games to compare them. They see the QBs play way, way, way more than the fans ever do. The staff has also seen Simon play in games already.

I have faith in the staff's choices. Not that they'll be perfect. Just that they'll make better choices than fans will 100 times out of 100. Because they spend far more time with all the players than do fans. Because they know when a mistake is on a QB versus due to mistakes by others (e.g. WRs).

Fans know only the results. Coaches know the results too, plus another 99% that fans will never know.

Fans always seem to forget that the coaching staff doesn't need to see the QBs in games to compare them. They see the QBs play way, way, way more than the fans ever do. The staff has also seen Simon play in games already.

I have faith in the staff's choices. Not that they'll be perfect. Just that they'll make better choices than fans will 100 times out of 100. Because they spend far more time with all the players than do fans. Because they know when a mistake is on a QB versus due to mistakes by others (e.g. WRs).

Fans know only the results. Coaches know the results too, plus another 99% that fans will never know.
Sort of agree. Politics and promises always impact HC decisions, and now NIL does too.

Not going to sit the big NIL guy and potentially scare off future big recruits also.

Blind faith. The coach made the decision so it must be right. Of course, we could agree that coaches often have conflicting motivations and don't always get it right? Though I agree coaches decisions are obviously better informed than the fans and likely work out for the best norevtimes than not

There are exceptions though. Every year there are qb controversies. If the coaches always got it right they wouldn't exist. Did belicheck know what he had in Tom Brady on his bench when Bledsoe got decked? He was watching them.both practice daily. Is it plausible that he may not have noticed what he had because the player with the contract and the pedigree had to ne the best choice? This is obviously nothing like the Rutgers situation but illustrates how a hall of fame coach might have missed the potential he saw every day because of confirmation bias (0r 100 other possible reasons)

Last edited:
Sort of agree. Politics and promises always impact HC decisions, and now NIL does too.

Not going to sit the big NIL guy and potentially scare off future big recruits also.
I didn't say all that in bold. Generally speaking, coaches seek only to win the next game.

Yes, coaches will consider the future beyond the next game when making decisions about the next game (e.g. better to sit a recently injured player if not needed in to win the next game). But I don't think the NIL thing will weigh very heavily w/most coaches because if they don't win games now, they won't be around long enough to enjoy the benefits of playing politics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT