ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeping on Reiber?

The press is kind of the wildcard factor in terms of how much Pike will use it. Becomes sort of positionless defense. Pike also utilizes offense / defense subbing at times. Those things could impact the minute allocations amongst Mag, Hyatt, Dean too.
Realistically how often are we going to press though?

Realistically how often are we going to press though?
That’s my point. I’m not sure. It seemed like about halfway through the season (NW game?), Pike realized that it offered a better way to get the bench kids on the floor without a major collapse. The right guys needed to not be in foul trouble though to use it (and he also doesn’t like to press (understandably) when the opponent is in the bonus). It’s very situational (he’s not committing to it full time obviously).

I guess where I’m coming from is that between this and sub rotations, I can see Pike finding 8ish minutes for Dean somehow in addition to 12 from backing up Cliff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
Reiber improved so much from his first season here. If he can continue to improve; he has a chance to be excellent. He’s got a nice shooting touch and hits the mid range shot in traffic a little as well. Good rebounder and runs the court well. Needs to improve on his strength and stamina but I like his game a lot going in to next season.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
I was the original Dean truther when everyone said he sucked, but there is no evidence that Dean will play the 4.

The fact that we aren't even looking at 5's in the portal since Cliff came back says he is the backup 5.

If Pike was planning to start Dean at the 4, we 100% would be taking a 5.

It appears the plan is for Dean to add a few pounds of muscle and be Cliff's backup. 30+ min will open up after next year when Cliff likely is gone.

He could play some spurts at the 4 possibly. He doesn't fit the mold of the 4's Pike has played. Harper and Hyatt last year Yeboah before that.

Whether you WANT him to play the 4 is irrelevant. All evidence points to Pike not going that direction
Agree on all of the Dean is a 5 commentary. On top of the reasons already given, Dean’s 3 point shooting will be contested as a 4, while 5s often don’t defend him at the 3 point line.

He could play in spots as a 4, but Dean is a 5 for now.

Last edited:
Both were players I said would be ballers when many thought they stunk. Same with Caleb.

Too much looking at numbers and results early freshman year and not at potential and skill set and projecting forward. The board overall isn't good at this
There are a good number of board posters that have shown that they can’t make projections. too much rear view mirror vs forward vision.

It's all about value to the team. While I agree that Dean is basically a 5, if Hyatt, Mag, or Oskar are not getting the job done at the 4, you can't keep Dean on the bench and only have him spell Cliff at the 5. Coach likes versatility and Dean has shown that he has some face up skills. I think Coach needs to bring in a 5 so that he has the option to play Dean at the four without worrying about him getting into foul trouble and so relegating him to only a Cliff back-up. I don't expect Woolfork to contribute much as a frosh.

Reiber is actually pretty athletic although he doesn’t necessarily look it. He’s quick and smart. He actually has good hands for a big man. He could use strength for sure but he’s also still learning how to use his body and what strength he has. Judging by his HS tapes he didn’t face much competition and his defense etc was really bad. He’s developing and improved vastly. He is probably just scratching the surface of what he can become.
Reiber has all the tools. Confidence and toughness has been his issue and he is slowly fixing that. He improved both but still lets bigger guys push him around on defense. It’s all in his head. That being said, he improved so much last year. It was impressive.

Reiber has all the tools. Confidence and toughness has been his issue and he is slowly fixing that. He improved both but still lets bigger guys push him around on defense. It’s all in his head. That being said, he improved so much last year. It was
This

Reiber has all the tools. Confidence and toughness has been his issue and he is slowly fixing that. He improved both but still lets bigger guys push him around on defense. It’s all in his head. That being said, he improved so much last year. It was impressive.
He did not let bigger guys push him around due confidence or toughness🤔. They did because they ( Kofi, Edney, Dickinson) they were just bigger and stronger. And, for what it's worth, those 3 pushed everyone around.

He did not let bigger guys push him around due confidence or toughness🤔. They did because they ( Kofi, Edney, Dickinson) they were just bigger and stronger. And, for what it's worth, those 3 pushed everyone around.
Not talking about Kofi, Edney, Dickinson. It was every player. Need to stand your ground and take a charge or play tough. No doubt he will get better.

The Dean mania still has me sooo confused. He can't take a charge because he is too slow. He is too weak to box out. Please he does not have "all the tools". I hope he gets better before the season starts. That would be nice.

Reactions: RUDead
It all depends on who develops this off-season. Hyatt is in his 5th year and probably is what he is already. Mag and reiber or even Oskar still have potential to take a leap as an upperclassman.
Oskar has been in the program for 2.5 seasons and hasn't played a single valuable minute. he also didn't lure the high ranked swedes here. he should have hit the portal.

Oskar has been in the program for 2.5 seasons and hasn't played a single valuable minute. he also didn't lure the high ranked swedes here. he should have hit the portal.
4:436
Nebraska
15 (+9)GOOD 3PTR by MCGOWENS,BRYCE
--ASSIST by MAYEN,LAT
14:26GOOD 3PTR by PALMQUIST,OSKAR9
Rutgers
15 (+6)

Down 15-6 vs Nebraska he makes a 3 pointer to keep the lead going to double digits in a game we eventually win. Who knows......if Oskar doesnt make that 3 we may not have made it to the NCAA tournament.

4:436
Nebraska
15 (+9)GOOD 3PTR by MCGOWENS,BRYCE
--ASSIST by MAYEN,LAT
14:26GOOD 3PTR by PALMQUIST,OSKAR9
Rutgers
15 (+6)

Down 15-6 vs Nebraska he makes a 3 pointer to keep the lead going to double digits in a game we eventually win. Who knows......if Oskar doesnt make that 3 we may not have made it to the NCAA tournament.

He made a huge 3 vs. Purdue at home as well.

The Dean mania still has me sooo confused. He can't take a charge because he is too slow. He is too weak to box out. Please he does not have "all the tools". I hope he gets better before the season starts. That would be nice.
Take a charge ? What are you talking about?

Is that how bigs are judged these days? If they are fast enough to take a charge....😀😀

Take a charge ? What are you talking about?

Is that how bigs are judged these days? If they are fast enough to take a charge....😀😀
Ignore him. His two best friends are Mo and Ron.

But since you asked I don’t think Dean is slow at all. He can shoot. He can jump and he played very, very well at times last year. He needs to develop to play more but it’s not impossible. Look at most of the Wisconsin players and how they developed over the last couple of years. I hope to see him at the 4 and 5 this year.

Reactions: SBP
I thought that Reiber showed a lot of potential this last season and certainly gave it his all when he did play. That said, I thought his most glaring weakness was that he seemed to run out of gas a bit (partly from playing so hard, partly probably due to conditioning)- assuming one of the top areas of focus of this off-season for him is building up his endurance to play hard for longer periods of time, he could be even more of a weapon for next season. And I think this is something that is often an issue for many bigs- they are often just not naturally built to run up and down the court for 20 minutes with few breaks.

So Reiber lacks toughness really?

No, he was only at a disadvantage against the 3 I named....just about everyone was against those 3.
Exactly … Reiber is no pussy . He may have lacked confidence early on but handled himself quite well most times. I expect much better things than s next season.

Reactions: SBP
Hopefully he’s busy gaining weight. Then you’d have pick and roll dunks with Oh-No-ruyi and pick and pop in your eye threes with Threiber.

Reactions: sct1111
Pike confirmed today that Reiber will play at both the 4 and 5. He specifically mentioned that it was too hard to give Dean any of "Ron's minutes" last season, and remarked again about his athleticism and 3 point shooting. I'm intrigued to see what match-up and personnel decisions dictate when and how often we see Dean.

Pike confirmed today that Reiber will play at both the 4 and 5. He specifically mentioned that it was too hard to give Dean any of "Ron's minutes" last season, and remarked again about his athleticism and 3 point shooting. I'm intrigued to see what match-up and personnel decisions dictate when and how often we see Dean.
It's also interesting that Pike was hyping Oskar since he would play his minutes at the 4. What most seemed to say was a position we had no depth is sounding more like an interesting log jam for minutes.

Hyatt Mag Oskar Dean. How does Pike divide those minutes? Hyatt and Oskar are 4's only for me. Mag and Dean have positional versatility

Hyatt - 4 only. Struggled at the 3 last year

Mag - All of Caleb's backup minutes at 3 plus some at 4

Oskar - 4 only... suspicious Pike may be overhyping and he plays a limited role

Dean - all of Cliff's backup minutes at the 5 plus some 4

I promised myself I would not listen to these pre-season things after the tri-fecta of early losses. It added to my disappointment having higher expectations. So - I’m planning to stick to that and not play it.

Did Pike say anything about Hyatt? If not, that’s something that stands out. If he made a point to hype every other option at the 4 maybe he’s trying to light a fire under him?

Reactions: kcg88
I promised myself I would not listen to these pre-season things after the tri-fecta of early losses. It added to my disappointment having higher expectations. So - I’m planning to stick to that and not play it.

Did Pike say anything about Hyatt? If not, that’s something that stands out. If he made a point to hype every other option at the 4 maybe he’s trying to light a fire under him?

He complimented Hyatt, but not as quickly as Dean, Oskar, and Mag. Kind of interesting. But he did in fact say Hyatt will play a bigger role this year with Ron and Geo gone. He thinks he will be a bit more free and step up without those guys above him.

He complimented Hyatt, but not as quickly as Dean, Oskar, and Mag. Kind of interesting. But he did in fact say Hyatt will play a bigger role this year with Ron and Geo gone. He thinks he will be a bit more free and step up without those guys above him.
Agida, fear, anxiety.
Everything I feel when Hyatt drops his head and attacks the basket😊
I’m thinking this year it’ll be different

Reading this and remembering the hate and dismissal when I first suggested on these boards that Reiber also had value as a 4.

Reading this and remembering the hate and dismissal when I first suggested on these boards that Reiber also had value as a 4.
I’d love to see some zone D mixed in while Reiber is out there with Cliff. Long guards should be able to close out on 3 point shooters and force shots with hands in faces.

Dean and Cam spacing the floor for Paul and Cliff in the PnR is a nice offensive lineup... does that type of lineup have the quickness to defend? I'd like to see that lineup play zone D

Reactions: IL Lusciato and SBP
You have to believe Dean has added some strength and endurance during the conditioning period. His confidence grew throughout the season last year. I believe he will become even more of a fan favorite. With him and Cliff on the floor, competitors will have a challenge. If both are not in foul trouble at the half, the second half will be wide open for their minutes.

Dean and Cam spacing the floor for Paul and Cliff in the PnR is a nice offensive lineup... does that type of lineup have the quickness to defend? I'd like to see that lineup play zone D
Yeah, you could get Palmquist out there with that group for a few minutes. Then, you look over at the scorers table and see Simpson or Miller, Mag, Hyatt and McConnell waiting to check in for some…

Reactions: IL Lusciato
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT