ADVERTISEMENT

So I spoke to Shaq Doorson at the FB game today...

I understand Willis' point. ..I bet if we read this board a year ago we would see similar posts with different names. And as the fans on the fringe drop off, those left are likely even more optimistic, so in a sense it's 'worse'. Honestly, as fans, being super optimistic isn't bad at all. Where it gets bad is when we somehow hold the team up to an unfair expectation which is more aligned to our fandom rather than reality...but now I am preaching ;)

Regarding DJ...I do think this kids output can increase dramatically this year. Mostly due to the fact that I have never seen a kid get to the hoop so effortlessly yet miss the layup. ..but here's the key...he didn't miss because he can't make layups. He missed because he would try a much harder finish rather than a simple layup. It happened a lot last year.

If he has managed to overcome this, he's easily going to significantly increase (double?) his production. But if for whatever reason his brain farts are hardwired...then I worry we will be talking about a kid oozing potential who never seemed to put it all together (a la Dane Miller)

I hope he figures things out cause like I said above...he has a natural and SMOOTH ability to get to the rim with ease.

Fingers crossed!!

Reactions: higgins3
I know we've been lousy for years and years now. But what's the point in making yourself miserable? Trying to look at the bright side of things and trying to find positives to take out of negative situations keeps you from being completely miserable. It's a game. There are more important things in life.

Reactions: RUMountie
I know we've been lousy for years and years now. But what's the point in making yourself miserable? Trying to look at the bright side of things and trying to find positives to take out of negative situations keeps you from being completely miserable. It's a game. There are more important things in life.
What do you see?
images
Half empty or half full?
That question can only be answered one of two ways. But, the answer can also be predicated on how thirsty someone has become. This fan base is very thirsty, and for good reason. How our teams represent the University is very important, because it reflects on our everyday lives as Alumnus of this great University. I know, maybe too much for some. Yet, here we come on this board, and many like it, just to get little tidbits of how well our teams will perform.
So, don't be to hard on people like Willisneverrana43, he like I are avid fans who invision a world where Rutgers University is a leader not only research and education, but also on the many fields of competition. Go RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

I understand Willis' point. ..I bet if we read this board a year ago we would see similar posts with different names. And as the fans on the fringe drop off, those left are likely even more optimistic, so in a sense it's 'worse'. Honestly, as fans, being super optimistic isn't bad at all. Where it gets bad is when we somehow hold the team up to an unfair expectation which is more aligned to our fandom rather than reality...but now I am preaching ;)

Regarding DJ...I do think this kids output can increase dramatically this year. Mostly due to the fact that I have never seen a kid get to the hoop so effortlessly yet miss the layup. ..but here's the key...he didn't miss because he can't make layups. He missed because he would try a much harder finish rather than a simple layup. It happened a lot last year.

If he has managed to overcome this, he's easily going to significantly increase (double?) his production. But if for whatever reason his brain farts are hardwired...then I worry we will be talking about a kid oozing potential who never seemed to put it all together (a la Dane Miller)

I hope he figures things out cause like I said above...he has a natural and SMOOTH ability to get to the rim with ease.

Fingers crossed!!

Agree wholeheartedly. He was close to being a 8ppg player last year. Just that extra english.

Dane Miller is playing in the d league at the moment. I hope the best for him. Another player from our program who started with little, and has achieved. Good for them.

The notion that EJ will be on the hotseat for failing to turn Rutgers around in 3 years, after losing the two top scorers to graduation, with strong recruiting, is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever seen on these boards. Seriously.

EJ won't need anyone to "survive" nor will he stay only because of his buyout. He is here through this season and next regardless of how many games the team loses. There is no way EJ has only 3 years to turn this around.

Thanks for the laugh.

I agree he'll be here. Too much money to handle it otherwise, particularly with a good chance that football will be taking up some cash with coaching moves. Check in at the end of this season, though, on how ludicrous the notion is if money weren't an issue.

I agree he'll be here. Too much money to handle it otherwise, particularly with a good chance that football will be taking up some cash with coaching moves. Check in at the end of this season, though, on how ludicrous the notion is if money weren't an issue.
Jordan is a good coach. Who do you think we could get that is better? I doubt we would get anyone better.

What evidence is there that he is a good head coach?

257 NBA wins
Four playoff appearances in five full seasons as Wizards HC
HC Eastern Conference All-Star team (2007)

"Eddie was always clever that way. When I worked with him in Sacramento, he always had a good feel for the game. That's why I guess he was such a good [player]. He stole a lot of balls and knew how to play. So he got it to work [in New Jersey], then he got it to work in Washington, too."

-Pete Carrill

“I love Eddie. I think Eddie will be fantastic,” Carlesimo said Thursday. “I remember, that’s how old I am, I know when Eddie was playing at Rutgers. But he’s an excellent coach, I think it’s a great, great hire by Rutgers and I think it’ll be, I think he’ll do really, really well.”

-PJ Carlesimo

I don't know this guy, but I do know opinions like his, which is to say absent any supporting evidence.

EJ is a once-fired NBA coach with a losing record and, like many, a lot of reasons you'll hear as to why. He wasn't getting any additional offers as a head coach -- and there's no evidence that he was -- and he wasn't getting any offers as a head coach of a college program -- and there's no evidence of that either. Much like Kyle Flood, RU is the only college that would have considered him as a college head coach. Despite what no doubt will be unhappy reactions to this, there won't be any evidence otherwise.

Now, that's not to say that EJ couldn't have been a surprise at RU. That can sometimes happen. But once again, there's no evidence of that so far either. Instead, there's been a couple of years of teams with no discernable personality or style, capped off by 15 straight losses. Let me repeat that. 15 straight losses.

Now, again, there will be arguments that EJ stepped into an untenable situation, and no doubt it was real bad. But that's not an argument that he's good at the job. Just that he hasn't had enough of a chance. Maybe. I'm not sure I buy that given what I've seen. But even if I did, that would once again leave us in a position of at best guessing, and with no evidence anywhere that he's a good, no less top, college head coach.

This really isn't a controversial position, and outside of this board it'd be seen that way.

Let me list some other "once fired NBA HC's with losing records":

John Calipari 72-112
Rick Pitino 192-220

You don't win 257 games in the NBA, even with a losing record, without knowing a little bit about being an HC.

Eddie Jordan inherited a long term build (not rebuild). A school with little to no basketball history, coming off a scandal/national embarrassment and being handed, in April, a roster with four (FOUR!) scholarship players. What are the comps on that?

Do you think Indiana coming off Kelvin Sampson is a comp? Tom Crean went 6-25/10-21/12-20...AT INDIANA!

How about Scott Drew at Baylor off Dave Bliss and the murder cover up?: 8-21/9-19/4-13/15-16

I don't know if Eddie is the final answer or not (I do like him and think he is a fine basketball HC). What I do know is there is absolutely, unequivocally no way anyone can say he isn't. He may have been handed the largest s--t sandwich in CBB since Baylor in 2002. And it sure as heck wasn't getting fixed in two years. And certainly not getting fixed in two years at Rutgers

Last edited:
What do you see?
images
Half empty or half full?
That question can only be answered one of two ways. But, the answer can also be predicated on how thirsty someone has become. This fan base is very thirsty, and for good reason. How our teams represent the University is very important, because it reflects on our everyday lives as Alumnus of this great University. I know, maybe too much for some. Yet, here we come on this board, and many like it, just to get little tidbits of how well our teams will perform.
So, don't be to hard on people like Willisneverrana43, he like I are avid fans who invision a world where Rutgers University is a leader not only research and education, but also on the many fields of competition. Go RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Actually it can be answered 3 ways: 1/2 full 1/2 empty or completely full (1/2 water and 1/2 air ) but thats a different conversation >>> Lets GO Rutgers !!!

I don't know this guy, but I do know opinions like his, which is to say absent any supporting evidence.

EJ is a once-fired NBA coach with a losing record and, like many, a lot of reasons you'll hear as to why. He wasn't getting any additional offers as a head coach -- and there's no evidence that he was -- and he wasn't getting any offers as a head coach of a college program -- and there's no evidence of that either. Much like Kyle Flood, RU is the only college that would have considered him as a college head coach. Despite what no doubt will be unhappy reactions to this, there won't be any evidence otherwise.

Now, that's not to say that EJ couldn't have been a surprise at RU. That can sometimes happen. But once again, there's no evidence of that so far either. Instead, there's been a couple of years of teams with no discernable personality or style, capped off by 15 straight losses. Let me repeat that. 15 straight losses.

Now, again, there will be arguments that EJ stepped into an untenable situation, and no doubt it was real bad. But that's not an argument that he's good at the job. Just that he hasn't had enough of a chance. Maybe. I'm not sure I buy that given what I've seen. But even if I did, that would once again leave us in a position of at best guessing, and with no evidence anywhere that he's a good, no less top, college head coach.

This really isn't a controversial position, and outside of this board it'd be seen that way.

You have such an obvious agenda that it's probably not even worth responding to you, but to use the argument that he was not getting college head coaching offers to make your case is disingenuous at best. His entire career has been in the NBA. Had Jordan at any time indicated that he was willing to take a college job, he'd have offers. But he was on record as saying that he wanted an NBA position after he was first being wooed by Rutgers in 2010.

John Calipari 72-112
Rick Pitino 192-220

You don't win 257 games in the NBA, even with a losing record, without knowing a little bit about being an HC.

Eddie Jordan inherited a long term build (not rebuild). A school with little to no basketball history, coming off a scandal/national embarrassment and being handed, in April, a roster with four (FOUR!) scholarship players. What are the comps on that?

Do you think Indiana coming off Kelvin Sampson is a comp? Tom Crean went 6-25/10-21/12-20...AT INDIANA!

How about Scott Drew at Baylor off Dave Bliss and the murder cover up?: 8-21/9-19/4-13/15-16

I don't know if Eddie is the final answer or not (I do like him and think he is a fine basketball HC). What I do know is there is absolutely, unequivocally no way anyone can say he isn't. He may have been handed the largest s--t sandwich in CBB since Baylor in 2002. And it sure as heck wasn't getting fixed in two years. And certainly not getting fixed in two years at Rutgers

GREAT POST....I really hope the Jordan bashing ends. It's silly. By the way, After Coach Rice, it may have been the " largest sh!t sandwich in the history of college basketball, definitely, the last 25 years".

John Calipari 72-112
Rick Pitino 192-220

. . .
I don't know if Eddie is the final answer or not (I do like him and think he is a fine basketball HC). What I do know is there is absolutely, unequivocally no way anyone can say he isn't.

There was so much obfuscation here that it's hard to unpack. It's best to start with what I said: there's no evidence to show that EJ is a good college head coach. Nothing in this post disputes that. It gives examples of two highly successful college basketball coaches who thereafter -- that is, after they showed they can win at the college level -- went to the NBA and didn't. OK, and so what is the conclusion? That unsuccessful NBA head coaches will be successful college head coaches? Some reasoning. If anything, the need to look to coaches other than EJ, in particular two legendarily successful college coaches who won in college before they ever stepped foot on an NBA floor, underscores the absence of evidence as to Eddie himself -- or at least, positive evidence.

Pointing to EJ's NBA teams' 257 wins is an attempt to discuss EJ and not other coaches. But it's amazing that you'd leave out the 343 losses and .428 winning percentage. That's not a small sample size. Wanna guess where the winning percentage goes when you add his college head coaching career? You can choose to rely on this as evidence that he's a good head coach, but I'm going to go ahead and see it as suggesting othewise.

Then you say that you like him and he is a fine basketball coach. I like him too. Always have. But "Fine basketball coach"? This is the sort of thing you can say after your shown evidence about the coach himself. But you haven't. You've just cherry picked examples of other coaches who fit the conclusion you want to reach. That kind of cherry picking is never a real argument. Not only because it doesn't prove anything other than that those other examples exist, but also because it's so easy to pick way more numerous examples the other way. Should we start giving examples of college head coaches with bad records their first years who thereafter, well, continued to be bad. I bet that stacks way higher than your stack. Maybe we can go to examples of college head coaches whose first two years are bad after having a losing NBA head coaching career too?

At best, your argument amounts to "it's possible." You even end your argument by saying that no one can disprove it. It's the old argument that no one can disprove that there's a planet way out in the universe made of green cheese. True. No one can disprove that. Good point.

Look, he's a legend and a loyal son. But he was hired as the head basketball coach by a school that at the time had no one running it's athletic department. At the time, and more so now, there was no evidence to conclude he would be good at this. Sure, hope. It's possible. Anything's possible. But that, of course, is a very different thing.

You originally asked the question: "What evidence is there that Eddie Jordan is a good HC." You added above "But "Fine basketball coach"? This is the sort of thing you can say after your shown evidence about the coach himself. But you haven't."

I listed my evidence above along with quotes from Pete Carrill and PJ Carlesimo. The fact you disagree about Eddie being a good HC does not make what I posted any less evidence. He won a lot of games in the NBA, and he is the only HC in the 55 year history of the Washington Wizards to take them to the playoffs four times. To me that is evidence of a good head coach. Doesn't mean he'll win at Rutgers, but it is the resume of a good head coach.

You also didn't seem to like that I showed two HOF HC's who had less wins and losing records in the NBA. Yet you seem to be arguing Eddie's losing record in the NBA discounts any amount of wins, playoff appearances, etc. That is pretty convenient. If you'd like to list the NBA HC's with 257+ wins who are boobs I am good with that. You certainly don't want to try to make the argument that having a losing record in the NBA equals bad coach.

I do find it funny that you state you "want evidence" from me yet you seem to be able to channel your inner Potter Stewart with an "I know it(a good HC) when I see it" and Eddies not it type of argument. And please note I NEVER said it was the resume of a "great head coach". Just of a good one.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what more to say at this point. You believe that a .428 winning percentage in the NBA, the quotes of guys he worked with and the mere existence of John Calipari and Rick Pitino mean that EJ is a good college head coach. You count only wins -- boy, that would be great. Say, he's got 22 wins at RU. That's a lot. You don't get there being a boob. The 43 losses -- well, he's a good coach.

Let's see how the season goes.

There was so much obfuscation here that it's hard to unpack. It's best to start with what I said: there's no evidence to show that EJ is a good college head coach. Nothing in this post disputes that. It gives examples of two highly successful college basketball coaches who thereafter -- that is, after they showed they can win at the college level -- went to the NBA and didn't. OK, and so what is the conclusion? That unsuccessful NBA head coaches will be successful college head coaches? Some reasoning. If anything, the need to look to coaches other than EJ, in particular two legendarily successful college coaches who won in college before they ever stepped foot on an NBA floor, underscores the absence of evidence as to Eddie himself -- or at least, positive evidence.

Pointing to EJ's NBA teams' 257 wins is an attempt to discuss EJ and not other coaches. But it's amazing that you'd leave out the 343 losses and .428 winning percentage. That's not a small sample size. Wanna guess where the winning percentage goes when you add his college head coaching career? You can choose to rely on this as evidence that he's a good head coach, but I'm going to go ahead and see it as suggesting othewise.

Then you say that you like him and he is a fine basketball coach. I like him too. Always have. But "Fine basketball coach"? This is the sort of thing you can say after your shown evidence about the coach himself. But you haven't. You've just cherry picked examples of other coaches who fit the conclusion you want to reach. That kind of cherry picking is never a real argument. Not only because it doesn't prove anything other than that those other examples exist, but also because it's so easy to pick way more numerous examples the other way. Should we start giving examples of college head coaches with bad records their first years who thereafter, well, continued to be bad. I bet that stacks way higher than your stack. Maybe we can go to examples of college head coaches whose first two years are bad after having a losing NBA head coaching career too?

At best, your argument amounts to "it's possible." You even end your argument by saying that no one can disprove it. It's the old argument that no one can disprove that there's a planet way out in the universe made of green cheese. True. No one can disprove that. Good point.

Look, he's a legend and a loyal son. But he was hired as the head basketball coach by a school that at the time had no one running it's athletic department. At the time, and more so now, there was no evidence to conclude he would be good at this. Sure, hope. It's possible. Anything's possible. But that, of course, is a very different thing.

When Eddie coached the Kings who had bad players and bad organization, he lost games.
He gave them structure but they did lose games.
When Eddie was a lead assistant responsible for the offense with NJ Nets, they went to back to back NBA finals and one year has a NBA MVP runner up year out of his point guard.
When Eddie was HC of the Wizards who had talent, he won. 4 playoff trips in a row.
Evidence of a good professional Head Coach.
In addition. Eddie has worked with Hall of fame coaches and players along the way.
He knows what he sees.
You on the other hand do not.
You are what many people would call a jerk.
I just call you Wills, the guy on the board who is obviously more comfortable crashing and burning, than soaring like an Eagle.
Get over it little man. The program is in good hands. It is OK to smile and stand up and cheer for Ole RU.

I am really excited about the future of the program because of Coach Eddie Jordan. He is building for the long-term. In Eddie I trust!

Reactions: treauRU
I just call you Wills, the guy on the board who is obviously more comfortable crashing and burning, than soaring like an Eagle.. . . RU.

Holy psycho babble batman. It's a good thing I ignored the inclination to stop reading when you cited his stint as an assistant as a reason he's a good head coach, otherwise I would have missed the pearl.

But enough with the name calling for now. Let's see how the season goes.

Holy psycho babble batman. It's a good thing I ignored the inclination to stop reading when you cited his stint as an assistant as a reason he's a good head coach, otherwise I would have missed the pearl.

But enough with the name calling for now. Let's see how the season goes.
Thank you. Now quiet all the negativity on each and every thread.

If you're lucky, you could at some point achieve the goal of "quieting all the negativity," and so your ears will then be pure and hear only the sound of success that has been RU basketball. You'll soar like an eagle . . . or, well, a scarlet knight . . . or, well, knights don't soar, but you'll do something. You will bask in the success of your efforts. And then you'll sit back in your seat at the RAC or in front of the TV and watch as your "quieting all the negativity" will have no effect whatsoever on what is laid out before you on the court, as it has been laid out for over two decades now. But it will be of no matter to you. You will sit back, triumphantly, awaiting the next coaching change, and you'll think to yourself, "I've quieted all the negativity."

Reactions: RUChoppin
Willis...a comment from one who feels about this board as you: From spring to fall, almost everyone is a polyanna. It is a bit incestuous as posters agree with how terrific the new players are, how the recruiting is phenominal, yada,yada, yada. New posters are ignored regardless of attitude, questions they have, etc. That's why I rarely post anymore, and drop in once in a while to read and catch up.
However, I believe you're being a little too harsh on Jordan. He's had success as an NBA coach at all levels. I'm not talking Red Auerback, Phil Jackson success, but success nonetheless. Coaches don't necessarily continue to be re-hired like in baseball. A couple of jobs that you don't take to championships and that's it. A few exceptions over the years, but as a whole...no. Look it up.

And HC in college is a totally different animal. Nothing new here. Stepping into that job, no college hc experience, putting together a staff from scratch, no recruiting trail for 20 years and On top of that the dumpster fire that has been Rutgers BB after FHJ and Rice: what can one reasonably expect in two years?

I don't really know how recruiting has gone. All I can go by ratings and what shows up on the court. Jury is still out on how much kids improve--time will tell. In-game coaching and preparation is difficult to judge with the dearth of talent remaining (with all due respect to the posters). But it seems like the talent level is improving significantly. And this is when he's had nothing to sell -- facilities, tradition, administrative commitment, opportunity to win now -- except himself.

I'd say he's laid the groundwork for the program to finally turn around but nothing's guaranteed. We've had false starts before. It's premature to declare him a good HC as it is to proclaim him a failure. As much as so many posters and fans hate the word "time," it is appropriate here. Hopefully, we'll give it the time to see.

Willis...a comment from one who feels about this board as you: From spring to fall, almost everyone is a polyanna. It is a bit incestuous as posters agree with how terrific the new players are, how the recruiting is phenominal, yada,yada, yada. New posters are ignored regardless of attitude, questions they have, etc. That's why I rarely post anymore, and drop in once in a while to read and catch up.
However, I believe you're being a little too harsh on Jordan. He's had success as an NBA coach at all levels. I'm not talking Red Auerback, Phil Jackson success, but success nonetheless. Coaches don't necessarily continue to be re-hired like in baseball. A couple of jobs that you don't take to championships and that's it. A few exceptions over the years, but as a whole...no. Look it up.

And HC in college is a totally different animal. Nothing new here. Stepping into that job, no college hc experience, putting together a staff from scratch, no recruiting trail for 20 years and On top of that the dumpster fire that has been Rutgers BB after FHJ and Rice: what can one reasonably expect in two years?

I don't really know how recruiting has gone. All I can go by ratings and what shows up on the court. Jury is still out on how much kids improve--time will tell. In-game coaching and preparation is difficult to judge with the dearth of talent remaining (with all due respect to the posters). But it seems like the talent level is improving significantly. And this is when he's had nothing to sell -- facilities, tradition, administrative commitment, opportunity to win now -- except himself.

I'd say he's laid the groundwork for the program to finally turn around but nothing's guaranteed. We've had false starts before. It's premature to declare him a good HC as it is to proclaim him a failure. As much as so many posters and fans hate the word "time," it is appropriate here. Hopefully, we'll give it the time to see.

Im not hearing anyone say we have arrived, or Sanders is the best player in the Big Ten.
What I am hearing and saying myself is that Sanders is a BALLER. Jordan has a definate plan in recruiting. His staff seems to be on board and effectively selling that plan. Recruits are listening and asking questions.
The talent level has increased. Then bench will be deeper.
In my opinion, Jordan`s credentials as a game coach is not in question. I believe he should have been the choice before Rice.
Not to knock Rice as a game coach, but he just does not have the credentials or knowledge that Eddie has.
The corner has not been turned as of yet. But the descent absolitely has. All that remains is to play the games.

This guy Willis just refuses to acknowledge the obvious.
We have stunk up the court for so long because we consistantly hired Coaches who were unethical to some degree, or unqualified to get the job done.
Eddie is more than qualified and is of high moral fiber. AND he is a Scarlet Knight. He loves this job. This is not a bridge to some where else. This is his destination.
Its clear to me. And im thinking it should be at least worth considering for any RU fan.
When guys come on here and repeatedly and relentlessly blast the program because they are unhappy with the last two decades, I say, Suck it up and shut the hell up. Change is happening. Stop crying about the past so you can see the present. Change is happening now. Get on board or get off the board.

Reactions: higgins3
I agree. I still have no idea why someone would continue to post negative comments about their supposed favorite team. If a person is that negative I would think they would just stop posting. I just don't get it.

. . .

Let's set aside our differences on his NBA head coaching careers, this reflects back on my main point, which is that no one in college other than Rutgers would have hired him to run their P5 D1 team. There's too much of that at RU. I get that we had no AD to make a well-researched, thoughtful decision. We just took the loyal son. But that doesn't reach back and make the decision right.

Let's set aside our differences on his NBA head coaching careers, this reflects back on my main point, which is that no one in college other than Rutgers would have hired him to run their P5 D1 team. There's too much of that at RU. I get that we had no AD to make a well-researched, thoughtful decision. We just took the loyal son. But that doesn't reach back and make the decision right.

You don't think any other team would consider him?Enough with the talk that is not so positive about our coach. Let's just let the season do the talking.

Im not hearing anyone say we have arrived, or Sanders is the best player in the Big Ten.
What I am hearing and saying myself is that Sanders is a BALLER. Jordan has a definate plan in recruiting. His staff seems to be on board and effectively selling that plan. Recruits are listening and asking questions.
The talent level has increased. Then bench will be deeper.
. . . . .

Your first sentence, while a little extreme to set the real discussion, starts out well. But then you devolve into the same nonsense we get here way too much. It's all about guesswork and what you don't know but hope. As long as you admitted it was hopefulness, you'd be fine. But you instead say that it is beyond argument that the change is happening, talent has increased, and the bench is deeper. You should take those conclusions to anyone who is paying attention to college basketball and doesn't post regularly on this board and experience their reactions. Maybe they'll let you down easy, or not want to disrupt your fantasy. But they're not going to buy it. How'd RU do yet again in the B1G preseason poll? Don't they know all the obviously undoubted improvements that you and others on this board have documented and explained so well?

This is the stuff of typical off-season hopefulness, all of which comes amidst an almost unfathomable 15 game losing streak. RU has had high-level recruits before, and in the last 5-10 years. But not nearly enough of them. And not all of them pan out, here and elsewhere, so you need more of them so that enough will pan out to put a talented team on the court. That hasn't happened here, and there's nothing other than the usual off-season hopefulness to distinguish this class.

Why do you think your take is so very different from much of the rest of the basketball world. There's an out-of-touch atmosphere to what is written by a dwindling group of irascible optimists who post on this board, angered by opinions, particularly strong ones, that disagree with them. Those different opinions are met with "get off my lawn," "this guy," and "stop saying that bad thing so much" responses that serve more to show the unsteady ground on which you stand than the point you're hopefully trying to make.

Trust me, this board, to the extent it's active, consists mostly of opinions like yours that are posted back-and-forth to each other like a cultish chant hoping to create the truth. But outside this small echo chamber, there are way more opinions like mine. That said, it makes for an interesting dynamic here.

Again, let's see what happens during the season. I'd be quite happy to say I'm wrong. But I'm just pretty darn sure that I won't have to.

Reactions: bac2therac
Hahaha....Wilis this thread is for you. I couldn't resist bumping it. Now no one could have anticipated the injuries but in many posts in this thread, Willis you nailed the typical off season optimism, not paying attention to the in season mess and then immediately head back into the optimism

The names of the posters may have changed, but the cockeyed optimism, regardless of results, has morphed into a cult of delusion.

Willis, even in the preseason, you nailed it. It's actually a real shame that you turned out to be so right.

No way I am going to read through a 3 month old thread. How was he right? Did he present a scenario with Nostradamus like predictions with Doorson out, Diallo out after 10 games, Lewis hurting with hos bad knees and Freeman only playing 8 or so games? If not, his comments mean very little.

No way I am going to read through a 3 month old thread. How was he right? Did he present a scenario with Nostradamus like predictions with Doorson out, Diallo out after 10 games, Lewis hurting with hos bad knees and Freeman only playing 8 or so games? If not, his comments mean very little.

"Trust me, this board, to the extent it's active, consists mostly of opinions like yours that are posted back-and-forth to each other like a cultish chant hoping to create the truth. But outside this small echo chamber, there are way more opinions like mine. That said, it makes for an interesting dynamic here.

Again, let's see what happens during the season. I'd be quite happy to say I'm wrong. But I'm just pretty darn sure that I won't have to."

I guess the references to the cultish echo chamber and the failed season are lost on you. That's not happening on here, at all?

"Trust me, this board, to the extent it's active, consists mostly of opinions like yours that are posted back-and-forth to each other like a cultish chant hoping to create the truth. But outside this small echo chamber, there are way more opinions like mine. That said, it makes for an interesting dynamic here.

Again, let's see what happens during the season. I'd be quite happy to say I'm wrong. But I'm just pretty darn sure that I won't have to."

I guess the references to the cultish echo chamber and the failed season are lost on you. That's not happening at all here?

The debate is interesting at times...except for the repetition. Bottom line, there are no decision makers here and the debates will not sway Hobbs. The opinions expressed here are meaningless. Please realize, they are ALL opinions. My opinions differ from many, but, that does not make them crazy. They have been consistent based on many factors I see with this program.

My primary opinion is the Rice scandal harmed the program and that the only direction the program could possibly go after Rice was down to rock bottom before it could recover. I use the economic analogy....you have a stock market or bank crisis.....rock bottom happens years after the crisis, then you recover. Can you imagine the negative recruiting against Rutgers? It was easy before...Rice made it a cake walk.

My opinion is that a program like Rutgers needs whiz bang facilities to attract better recruits. Other programs don't, but, when you have lost for 25 years...below par facilities REALLY hurt.

My opinion is that injuries this year stunted the growth of the program and the product on the court.

My opinion is that with a full roster next year, we will see improvement. If a player does not work hard enough, you have options and you sit his azz on the bench. if he does not work hard the next time he gets in...you sit him longer.

FINALLY, I could care less if Jordan stays or goes. I'm sitting here in Columbus, Ohio going to work every day.....do you really think I care if a guy making a million loses his job?

Last edited:
The debate is interesting at times...except for the repetition. Bottom line, there are no decision makers here and the debates will not sway Hobbs. The opinions expressed here are meaningless. Please realize, they are ALL opinions. My opinions differ from many, but, that does not make them crazy. They have been consistent based on many factors I see with this program.

My primary opinion is the Rice scandal harmed the program and that the only direction the program could possibly go after Rice was down to rock bottom before it could recover. I use the economic analogy....you have a stock market or bank crisis.....rock bottom happens years after the crisis, then you recover. Can you imagine the negative recruiting against Rutgers? It was easy before...Rice made it a cake walk.

My opinion is that a program like Rutgers needs whiz bang facilities to attract better recruits. Other programs don't, but, when you have lost for 25 years...below par facilities REALLY hurt.

My opinion is that injuries this year stunted the growth of the program and the product on the court.

My opinion is that with a full roster next year, we will see improvement. If a player does not work hard enough, you have options and you sit his azz on the bench. if he does not work hard the next time he gets in...you sit him longer.

FINALLY, I could care less if Jordan stays or goes. I'm sitting here in Columbus, Ohio going to work every day.....do you really think I care if a guy making a million loses his job?

Of course there will be improvement next year. The question is: will it be enough of an improvement to retain EJ and extend him? I think it's reasonable to expect to win anywhere between 3-5 B1G games next year with a healthy roster, but is that enough of an improvement in year 4? If Corey bolts after the season then I don't think EJ should even be given the opportunity to prove it on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT