ADVERTISEMENT

Some NY Times opinion types on B1G expansion

For me, the biggest takeaway from the USC-UCLA stuff is that all the Big Ten cares about is money. The days of worrying about geography or conference loyalty are over. That's why I think it's tremendously important for Rutgers football attendance and play on the field to improve...and soon. The B1G will not hesitate to throw us out if they think they could replace Rutgers with someone who could make them more money.

For me, the biggest takeaway from the USC-UCLA stuff is that all the Big Ten cares about is money. The days of worrying about geography or conference loyalty are over. That's why I think it's tremendously important for Rutgers football attendance and play on the field to improve...and soon. The B1G will not hesitate to throw us out if they think they could replace Rutgers with someone who could make them more money.
Fortunately nobody can or likely ever will be more profitable. Rutgers is better for the conference than a lot of teams. Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, all are way worse for $ than we are.

If all they care about is money, then we're safe till NY and NJ fall into the ocean.

If you have paid any attention to conference realignment than you would not have voiced such a silly concern. RU fans need to stop being so insecure. RU will be fine in the B1G - no worries at all and we are just getting started.

Serious question - when exactly was college football about loyalty and not money? The Northeast football schools learned this lesson decades ago. RU isn't being thrown out of the Big 10. Get that out of your head.

Has anyone ever been 'thrown out' of a football conference?

Name a school not named ND and Texas that is gonna bring more value that is gonna replace Rutgers?

Oregon..no
Washinton...no
Colorado...no
Arizona...no
Arizona state...no
North Carolina..no
Virginia...no

Would never pay for that garbage, yellow journalism rag. Agenda-based reporting, and not just on recent stuff. Time and time again over history, they have been exposed as supporting a particular agenda. This goes all the way back to WW II.
As much as I don't care for NY Times, it pays some of the bills in my household. Also, they have a great healthcare plan. So I have to hold my tongue.🤫

Last edited:
The NYC/NJ area has one of the highest numbers of B1G alumni in the country, and just got even larger with USC/UCLA alumni.

We’re not going anywhere.

Big Ten brought us in not for Rutgers football, but for having the flagship college sports program in NJ/NYC. It locks down B1G network and games for their alumni.

Not to mention B1G has one of their just TWO offices in NEW YORK CITY.

Rutgers could go 0-13 for 5 straight years and is still safe.

… if there’s a team that I think B1G might boot, it would be Nebraska. Losing AAU status is big. If they start to suck and lose fan-base, the great facilities won’t mean much. Their population for the entire state is barely 2 million people.

The NYC/NJ area has one of the highest numbers of B1G alumni in the country, and just got even larger with USC/UCLA alumni.

We’re not going anywhere.

Big Ten brought us in not for Rutgers football, but for having the flagship college sports program in NJ/NYC. It locks down B1G network and games for their alumni.

Not to mention B1G has one of their just TWO offices in NEW YORK CITY.

Rutgers could go 0-13 for 5 straight years and is still safe.

… if there’s a team that I think B1G might boot, it would be Nebraska. Losing AAU status is big. If they start to suck and lose fan-base, the great facilities won’t mean much. Their population for the entire state is barely 2 million people.

Well, as I believe a 13th game would involve a bowl or conference championship, I feel confident confident Rutger's won't go 0-13 for 5 straight years.

Big East kicked Temple out I believe.
Forget all the details, but I believe Temple was warned about their program and had enough time to rectify

Facilities, attendance and competitiveness
were the concerns

The last two things are performance issues , and great coaching turns the tide

RU is an ok position regarding facilities
Win a bit more and attendance will grow

Recently we gave beaten other big ten teams in fb so we are not at the Northwestern levels of yesteryear

The fact that they didn't doesn't mean they didn't have the right.

Oh, for the days of graffiti on Illinois highway signs:

Interstate 70
Northwestern 0
Back then, there was no incentive to kick teams out of a conference. Regional unity was all the rage. When looking at the Big East, they got a late start as a conference and were always playing catch up to others. Their decisions were not as rational as other established conferences. Every move was about survival. Money seems to be the deciding factor in today's game.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Forget all the details, but I believe Temple was warned about their program and had enough time to rectify

were the concerns

Recently we gave beaten other big ten teams in fb so we are not at the Northwestern levels of yesteryear
With Temple your typical uninformed sports fan thinks it was about W-L. Not at all.

Yes they had bad teams. But everybody in the Big East FB was happy to have a programmed win on the conference schedule.

The real issues were:
- They were cashing BE-FB TV royalty checks and spending the money to build their Atlantic 10 basketball team a new arena.
- They couldn't guarantee a Saturday date as tenants in a Stadium where they were at best the third option.
- Expressed no serious interest in building an on-campus alternative.
- Their practice facilities looked like a run down inner-city park
- They hired a University president that closed down a football program at his last job.
- This guy took an ultimatum to the BE to let Temple in the BE for all sports or else.
- BE said "So long and good luck to ya"

were the concerns

The President of Temple at the time David Ademany, didn’t want Temple spending scarce resources on football so he basically forced the issue and the Big East kicked them out. I could see the wisdom of his stance.

That said at the time Temple was probably the most God forsaken place to play football. Veteran stadium was such a shthole and players told me that playing on that field was like playing on gravel. It also wasn’t known whether they would be able to play in the Linc at the time. They also didn’t have control of stadium scheduling and the attendance did not even meet the most minimum of thresholds.

Temple was tossed and they were about to discontinue the program when the Chairman of the Board, Harold Gittis, put his foot down, and said that students deserved college football. So Temple ultimately joined the MAC, then rejoined the American conference somewhere around 2011.

were the concerns

Temple never seemed committed to improving their situation. They were content with big in a big boy league.

Getting facilities improvement for Temple is more complicated than anything Rutgers deals with, and we know Rutgers has to jump through flaming hoops.

Rutgers' performance across the board is not a question. Rutgers is competing near the top for several sports, and the most visible sports are on the uptick, especially basketball.

I think people underestimate Rutgers facilities. People love to point out another school has a new basketball practice facility with all the bells and whistles. How soon they forget we have a top-notch facility too. Also, how many schools have a baseball facility where you can hold infield practice all year regardless of the weather? That's unique and a good selling point. Rutgers has been upgrading facilities or building entirely new ones. Football should be getting a new indoor facility, and we all continue to talk about the RAC's upgrades, which should take place within the following year. Just about every sport has shown dramatic improvement when it comes to wins and losses. IMO, Rutgers is not endangered of being kicked out when looking at all things considered.

The B1G is too smart to mess with their core (original members) or money enhancers such as Rutgers and Maryland. USC and UCLA are new money enhancers. You don't tinker with success.

We bring the nyc market and easy wins for the blue bloods . And if we ever get respectable to good we will bring more of the nyc market.

Everyone’s missing the real issue. Sure, the Big10 won’t kick Rutgers out. But the Big10 might lose its top teams to some other venture, which would basically mean the same thing. That Rutgers and other lesser programs are left behind.

The PAC10 didn’t kick WSU out. Hooray. But WSU could very well get screwed

Because RU is in the #1 market, some conference will want them. But not necessarily a top 1-2 conference (or completely new league) if there’s a consolidation to the 40 or so top teams for even more money than the big boys get now.

Would never pay for that garbage, yellow journalism rag. Agenda-based reporting, and not just on recent stuff. Time and time again over history, they have been exposed as supporting a particular agenda. This goes all the way back to WW II.
The NY Times did declare uconn the national champions in 2020 . So obviously they know college football

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
Everyone’s missing the real issue. Sure, the Big10 won’t kick Rutgers out. But the Big10 might lose its top teams to some other venture, which would basically mean the same thing. That Rutgers and other lesser programs are left behind.

The PAC10 didn’t kick WSU out. Hooray. But WSU could very well get screwed.

Because RU is in the #1 market, some confernce will want them. But not necessarily a top 1-2 conference if there’s a consolidation to the 40 or so top teams for even more money than the big boys get now.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

The addition of the two PAC teams shores up the big ten for the time being, meaning the break up of the big ten much less likely
Any scenario where the best big ten teams break away is more remote than even a few months ago
Can’t say it will never happen, but as I said really remote chance

Reactions: Scarlet83
Can Big Ten kick teams out for poor performance? Is Rutgers still on probation?
Dude come on! Northwestern from 1974-1994 went 40-187-4. I know were not good but if they didn't get kicked out, nobodies getting kicked out for performance.

Wheezer…..yes I agree it’s unlikely that some other even bigger platform/product will lure the best teams away in the foreseeable future. My points were that it could happen someday and the question about getting kicked out of the conference misses the forest for the trees.

The Titanic had all the finest luxuries, was the finest ship to ever sail…but …

Reactions: runrutgersrun
If you have paid any attention to conference realignment than you would not have voiced such a silly concern. RU fans need to stop being so insecure. RU will be fine in the B1G - no worries at all and we are just getting started.
Hey you know what? This is a message board and I'm allowed to post my opinion. The only thing that's actually "silly" in this thread are all the scarlet-colored glasses being worn by posters as they bury their heads in the sand. If Rutgers doesn't start filling up its football stadium and being more competitive in-conference, the B1G will not hesitate for a second to replace us with a bigger name, more profitable team. Now that geography no longer matters in college football conferences they could easily drop RU for a power west coast team and wouldn't think twice about doing so. I hope that never happens but if it does, I will expect an apology for your "silly" response.

Hey you know what? This is a message board and I'm allowed to post my opinion. The only thing that's actually "silly" in this thread are all the scarlet-colored glasses being worn by posters as they bury their heads in the sand. If Rutgers doesn't start filling up its football stadium and being more competitive in-conference, the B1G will not hesitate for a second to replace us with a bigger name, more profitable team. Now that geography no longer matters in college football conferences they could easily drop RU for a power west coast team and wouldn't think twice about doing so. I hope that never happens but if it does, I will expect an apology for your "silly" response.
Geography doesn't matter?? That's why ucla and usc were invited -- are you sure you're not a bc or Syracuse fan.

Geography no longer matters? In some ways yes, but markets still do. And Rutgers, even at it's current status, is still the #1 team in the #1 market. Not Syracuse and surely not BC. And think of the possibilities if Schiano gets the team even to the 2006-10 level. I'm sure people in college football do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT