ADVERTISEMENT

Some NY Times opinion types on B1G expansion

It's the NYT. LOL
I think the interesting bit is this topic has penetrated the consciousness of people who write for, and supposedly read, a source not given to focusing on big time college football matters outside the sports pages.

I think the Venn diagram intersection of people that read Jane Coastson and might listen to the Paul Finebaum show is vanishingly small.

But this west coast B1G expansion topic has hit that mark.

Hey you know what? This is a message board and I'm allowed to post my opinion. The only thing that's actually "silly" in this thread are all the scarlet-colored glasses being worn by posters as they bury their heads in the sand. If Rutgers doesn't start filling up its football stadium and being more competitive in-conference, the B1G will not hesitate for a second to replace us with a bigger name, more profitable team. Now that geography no longer matters in college football conferences they could easily drop RU for a power west coast team and wouldn't think twice about doing so. I hope that never happens but if it does, I will expect an apology for your "silly" response.

You are looking at "profitable" wrong.
It's not about adding a school that is "profitable".
It is about adding a school that makes the conference more "profitable".

It's basic math:

BIG Schools - pick one scenario:

1. You + Rutgers = $X/team in revenue
2. You - Rutgers = $Y/team in revenue

As long as X > Y, we will remain in the Big Ten Conference.
Name one time any conference has made a decision that cost them money.

At a minimum, Rutgers has to increase the pie for everyone to account for an additional slice.
We do that or else we wouldn't have been invited in the first place.

Alternatively, no team is going to drop out of a conference and give up money because of "NIL" or "Paying athletes" or "Ameaturism"

Holier than though school - pick one scenario:
1. You are in a P2/5 conference: Revenue = $X/year
2. You leave said conference over "values" or "moral": Revenue = 1/10 of $X/year
If you chose #2, you have to cut every sport and get fired immediately.

Reactions: mdh2003
The interesting thing is for long standing members of conferences who joined prior to current financial situations.

For example - randomly take Northwestern (could be any school though).

If you remove Northwestern, overall revenue might go down (less inventory).
But removing the "Northwestern slice" could actually raise revenue per team higher.
Bigger piece of smaller pie.
For example:

$1.6b/year across 16 teams: $100m/year/team
Cut out a team and total revenue only drops $50m/year.
$1.55b/year across 15 teams: $100.3m/year.
All of a sudden, it makes sense to consider dropping some schools.

Rutgers literally just had to prove their worth ten years ago.
Some of these other schools have never had to.

Everyone’s missing the real issue. Sure, the Big10 won’t kick Rutgers out. But the Big10 might lose its top teams to some other venture, which would basically mean the same thing. That Rutgers and other lesser programs are left behind.

The PAC10 didn’t kick WSU out. Hooray. But WSU could very well get screwed

Because RU is in the #1 market, some conference will want them. But not necessarily a top 1-2 conference (or completely new league) if there’s a consolidation to the 40 or so top teams for even more money than the big boys get now.

A conference anchored by Ohio State, Michigan, USC, and Penn State is not getting picked apart. Those are 4 of the top 10-12 brands in the game.

The interesting thing is for long standing members of conferences who joined prior to current financial situations.

But removing the "Northwestern slice" could actually raise revenue per team higher.
For example:

In a tradition laden conference schools are not going to get cut if per capita income increases from $100.000,000 to $100,300,000.

Reactions: NickRU714

For example:

It kills me to hear fans of Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue demand the B1G kick us out but retain Maryland as we bring no value to the conference. As you said, if we were to dig deep into what teams bring to the table in adding value to the B1G, it's safe to say Rutgers is closer to the top of the B1G than the bottom. They like to focus on the wrong things like Syracuse has more fans and tv value than Rutgers, so they should be our replacement.

It's basic math:

At a minimum, Rutgers has to increase the pie for everyone to account for an additional slice.

Alternatively, no team is going to drop out of a conference and give up money because of "NIL" or "Paying athletes" or "Ameaturism"

2. You leave said conference over "values" or "moral": Revenue = 1/10 of $X/year
Maybe the Big East made a decision that cost it money ?

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
Anything can happen in the next 10-15 years. As these conferences keep getting bigger and bigger, the historical allegiances mean less. If 10 years from now, OSU, Michigan, USC, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State are invited into some super league with SEC schools, we very well could be relegated to a tier 2 league. Nothing would surprise me.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Oh, you mean the "paper of record," as opposed to the Fox "White Replacement" network?

"The paper of record" has turned into the paper of front page opinion and slanted journalism. I subscribe to the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal and BOTH front pages put the Times to shame with their front pages. I gave up on the Times when they ran front page allegations in January 2008 of John McCain having an extramarital affair citing a single unnamed source. What was interesting is that I was surfing through the evening opinion shows between periods of a Rangers game. I flipped to CNN and Anderson Cooper was reading the allegations. And as he finished he said "You know this is AWFULLY thinly sourced". Kudos Anderson, though it might get him fired these days.

Would never pay for that garbage, yellow journalism rag. Agenda-based reporting, and not just on recent stuff. Time and time again over history, they have been exposed as supporting a particular agenda. This goes all the way back to WW II.
Well, if you think the Times is a "garbage, yellow journalism rag," I assume that means you don't read/watch the WSJ, National Review, Fox or other right leaning publications that also feature agenda based reporting (they all do to some extent) and certainly would never watch/read far right sources like OANN and Daily Caller that are simply filled with lies and misinformation.

It's basic math:

Don’t bother trying with this newbie.

They’ve been told a half dozen times that their criteria for any of this is all nonsense. And we get the same blah, blah, blah.

My guess, either a Connie or a Sarah.

NY Times paper isn't even worthy of piss paper for your dog. Given how poorly their online, paper, and a myriad of polls and internal research show, it's mostly dems turning away from it due to 'reliability' Most people who I know that do subscribe do so for the arts and science section which historically has been fantastic

Well, if you think the Times is a "garbage, yellow journalism rag," I assume that means you don't read/watch the WSJ, National Review, Fox or other right leaning publications that also feature agenda based reporting (they all do to some extent) and certainly would never watch/read far right sources like OANN and Daily Caller that are simply filled with lies and misinformation.
Pretty much, yes. It's all biased, agenda-driven propaganda at this point. One network that does an admirable, although not perfect job is News Nation out of Chicago (the old WGN). They are far from perfect but much better than the purveyors of propaganda. I don't even know what OANN and Daily Caller are, and I think I am better off for it.

It's not just the national media. Look at our local media and the portrayal of Rutgers and Rutgers athletics.

But this thread was about the NYT. I don't know how the NYT got to be "the paper of record." It has a shameful record over it's history.

Examples: NY Time Berlin bureau chief during WWII painting inaccurate pictures of what Hitler was doing;; legitimizing the Castro tyranny in Cuba; smearing veterans during the Iraq war; their reporting on the Holocaust.

Modern examples include the Duke lacrosse scandal. And they continue with other garbage.

The WSJ editorial page is conservative but the front page has more straight, fact based reporting each day than you get from the Times front page in a month.

Also ,why do people ignore the fact that RU has one of the largest number of alumni of any school? Ignorance

Latest projections are for this to occur in the 2050-2075 timeframe.
I guess Lex Luther should have just waited for a few decades. Looks like it's time for me to start buying some beach front property in Nevada. I'll call it Ottisville.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: runrutgersrun
I have no idea what you are blathering on about. See my posts above. This is not about starting anything. It's about relating factual instances. If facts hurt you, find a safe space.
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

A conference anchored by Ohio State, Michigan, USC, and Penn State is not getting picked apart. Those are 4 of the top 10-12 brands in the game.
And the Big 10 differentiates itself from the SEC as an excellent academic, research based AAU conference that also has excellent teams.

This makes the B1G the preeminent conference in the country.

A cousin of mine worked at Rutgers and her job was bringing in grants/ $$$ to the university for research. We were talking the other day and I mentioned 100 million a year in media rights for sports, and she said that was a small pittance compared to what the university gets in research funding annually and that in the Big Ten Rutgers isn't a premiere funded research University. The excellent academics and extraordinary research fundng between the B1G universities is much more lucrative and a much stronger tie-in than many realize... myself included until I had this conversation with my cousin whose sole job was bringing in research funding for Rutgers.

Last edited:
And the Big 10 differentiates itself from the SEC as an excellent academic, research based AAU conference that also has excellent teams.

This makes the B1G the preeminent conference in the country.

A cousin of mine worked at Rutgers and her job was bringing in grants/ $$$ to the university for research. We were talking the other day and I mentioned 100 million a year in media rights for sports, and she said that was a small pittance compared to what the university gets in research funding annually and that in the Big Ten Rutgers isn't a premiere funded research University. The excellent academics and extraordinary research fundng between the B1G universities is much more lucrative and a much stronger tie-in than many realize... myself included until I had this conversation with my cousin whose sole job was bringing in research funding for Rutgers.
I am fully aware that Rutgers generates a sizable amount of research funding, but I am very skeptical that joining the Big 10 has made any real impact on what we generate. As I understand it, the primary value of the Research Alliance is if we jointly bid for research grants with other Big 10 schools. I have to believe this number is not significant, otherwise the Rutgers leadership is filled with morons for not trumping this number to the public every time some news organization criticizes us for our athletic budget deficits. It should be a very simple thing to be able to produce the dollar value for grants from these joint bids, and yet I have never seen a number reported.

Anything can happen in the next 10-15 years. As these conferences keep getting bigger and bigger, the historical allegiances mean less. If 10 years from now, OSU, Michigan, USC, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State are invited into some super league with SEC schools, we very well could be relegated to a tier 2 league. Nothing would surprise me.
Exactly. All these people saying there's "no chance" of any scenario that negatively impacts Rutgers are simply wearing scarlet-colored glasses. That's why I keep saying it's important to 1) Improve on-field football performance and 2) Improve football attendance. Show the B1G (or whatever conference the B1G becomes someday) that we belong.

Exactly. All these people saying there's "no chance" of any scenario that negatively impacts Rutgers are simply wearing scarlet-colored glasses. That's why I keep saying it's important to 1) Improve on-field football performance and 2) Improve football attendance. Show the B1G (or whatever conference the B1G becomes someday) that we belong.
Just like we should be prepared for a nuclear attack.

And the worst part of their Duke lacrosse coverage was the Selena Roberts column in the sports section AFTER the charges were dropped saying "I don't care if they were innocent, they deserved it."
It's not just the NYT. As I noted, our "esteemed" local papers write crap about Rutgers athletics that is extremely one-sided and agenda-driven. Heck, the yellow-journalism filters down to our local weekly paper sometimes. Maybe it was always that way, and only since social media and people questioning and calling out stories were news outlets (all of them) exposed.

And the worst part of their Duke lacrosse coverage was the Selena Roberts column in the sports section AFTER the charges were dropped saying "I don't care if they were innocent, they deserved it."
Media in general and especially those newspapers we " trusted" have lost all credibility. The Times is the worst.

Hey you know what? This is a message board and I'm allowed to post my opinion. The only thing that's actually "silly" in this thread are all the scarlet-colored glasses being worn by posters as they bury their heads in the sand. If Rutgers doesn't start filling up its football stadium and being more competitive in-conference, the B1G will not hesitate for a second to replace us with a bigger name, more profitable team. Now that geography no longer matters in college football conferences they could easily drop RU for a power west coast team and wouldn't think twice about doing so. I hope that never happens but if it does, I will expect an apology for your "silly" response.
Sniff sniff...I smell a rat...an orange rat from Cuse if I had to guess.

Reactions: thegock and TRU2RU
Apology? 🤣

You must be new to the internet.

Lmfao

Here's a useful chart on the apparent bias of various media sources. I especially like this one because it shows differences between news and opinion (where relevant). For example, the NYT opinion pages are rated as far left, while the news is lean left. The WSJ news is rated as center and the opinion pages lean right. (Note: I think the reason why the WSJ opinion pages aren't rated as far right because they do speak truth to many of Trump's lies, especially the election.)

My personal go-to news sources are the WSJ news, Axios and BBC. I try to read many of the rest, but have to be careful understanding their biases.

Edit: I, like many, simply refuse to watch prime-time cable news. That shit is all propaganda all the time. The cable news shows during the day are okay as they mainly report the news during the afternoon.
AllSidesMediaBiasChart-Version6_0.jpg

Reactions: thegock
Here's another representation of media bias. I think this one just covers news reporting - not the op-eds.

Media-Bias-Chart-9.0_Jan-2022-Unlicensed-Social-Media_Hi_Res-1200x950.jpg

Reactions: thegock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT