ADVERTISEMENT

Terrific Interview with Anthony Ashnault:

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Great insight. Hoping the best for him. Would love to see him at top of podium

A class act. Undoubtedly, the most valued recruit in RU wrestling history. AA could have gone anywhere in the country and took a chance by selecting RU. He made it acceptable and desirable for top NJ talent to stay home. I doubt without AA blazing the path that Suriano transfers to Rutgers. RU keeps the top NJ talent they are a perennial top 8 team.

AA's three AAs in three years is a fantastic start to his career. I am really hoping if he is not 100% this season he gets a hardship waiver.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I hope Anthony comes out and wrestles for himself this year (or next if that's how it goes), and maybe that will allow him to loosen up. Sounds like he has gained some real perspective on his life and his career. He is one of very few who we can honestly look at heading into his senior year and say he has untapped potential, and that he is likely still getting better.

When he looks back on his career, I hope he recognizes that because he wrestled for Rutgers, everyone who comes after him can wrestle for themselves. It takes so much as an athlete to be a program builder. Every fan and future wrestler at RU owes him a tremendous debt of gratitude.

No I do not think he meant that. He knows he will miss the first half of the year in my opinion. That leaves Jan-March. If he does not get the 6th year medical redshirt he will try to wrestle this year. If he can't he will close out his college career and on to the US National team and the Olympics. Maybe training at an RTC

Reactions: Jersey Boys
What I don't get is how on one hand he is due back in Dec. But on the other there is a shot he doesn't wrestle again. That is a huge difference.

What I don't get is how on one hand he is due back in Dec. But on the other there is a shot he doesn't wrestle again. That is a huge difference.
It is all dependent on how his rehabilitation goes. Right now he is on schedule but there are no guarantees.

No I do not think he meant that. He knows he will miss the first half of the year in my opinion. That leaves Jan-March. If he does not get the 6th year medical redshirt he will try to wrestle this year. If he can't he will close out his college career and on to the US National team and the Olympics. Maybe training at an RTC
Is Anthony petitioning the NCAA to declare his freshman year redshirt a medical redshirt? Or is the medical redshirt talk speculating that if he cant make it back this year he applies at the end of the season?

Wng,

Can you confirm if Anthony has to wait until after the season to apply for the waiver or can he do it sooner?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT