ADVERTISEMENT

The Garden game

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I apologize for starting a new thread,but this is frustrating. Does everyone realize that MSG is the most famous arena in this country? It is the primary reason for the success of the Big East. It can be loud. With all due deference,Rutgers-St. John's in March,1976 was as loud as any RAC game. Who cares if Izzo would rather play there? That's irrelevant. Rutgers may be losing 6 points,but perhaps gaining a huge neutral site win over an almost very Blue Blood. Don't you want the back page of the Daily News.RAC games are never getting that coverage unless someone hits a crazy 50 footer against the no.1 team.It is so obvious that you play this game every time you can. And why not pack The Garden. I've been there with 8000 Rutgers fans. Then the brand spills out onto 7th Avenue at 2 pm and NY bars. And by the way,there is no promise that Rutgers will be back next year as the visiting team.But why should that matter to anyone?

You would the same grumpy Rutgers fan complaining about being invited to play on the aircraft carrier to play MSU because the game wasn't at the RAC---many fans also have short arms and deep pockets

Reactions: KevH and TRU2RU
You would the same grumpy Rutgers fan complaining about being invited to play on the aircraft carrier to play MSU because the game wasn't at the RAC---many fans also have short arms and deep pockets & big mouths to complain with
FIFY

I apologize for starting a new thread,but this is frustrating. Does everyone realize that MSG is the most famous arena in this country? It is the primary reason for the success of the Big East. It can be loud. With all due deference,Rutgers-St. John's in March,1976 was as loud as any RAC game. Who cares if Izzo would rather play there? That's irrelevant. Rutgers may be losing 6 points,but perhaps gaining a huge neutral site win over an almost very Blue Blood. Don't you want the back page of the Daily News.RAC games are never getting that coverage unless someone hits a crazy 50 footer against the no.1 team.It is so obvious that you play this game every time you can. And why not pack The Garden. I've been there with 8000 Rutgers fans. Then the brand spills out onto 7th Avenue at 2 pm and NY bars. And by the way,there is no promise that Rutgers will be back next year as the visiting team.But why should that matter to anyone?
Was at that 1976 game
Was quite the scene

This. It would be terrible if we were playing only "home" games there. If we are playing an even mix of "home"/"away" there it is great.
Exactly. To me it’s the net benefit of being the much closer team to the neutral venue for the computer numbers. Nothing more or less since the loss of home and away games cancel out eventually.

Reactions: Scarlet83
We’ve already been the visitor at the Garden. Now we return the “favor” as the home team. As long as it rotates, nobody should be unhappy about this game.
This is our second home game there against one road game. So, judgement reserved until we see if we get another roadie.

Players were born after 2000. St. John's has been irrelevant. The NY Knicks have been a joke.

We are recruiting kids born in 2006. They don't know who John Starks or Patrick Ewing is. They could care less about Bill Wennington, Walter Berry or Chris Mullen.

To us geezers MSG is magical. It is just another building to most people born this century.

Players were born after 2000. St. John's has been irrelevant. The NY Knicks have been a joke.

We are recruiting kids born in 2006. They don't know who John Starks or Patrick Ewing is. They could care less about Bill Wennington, Walter Berry or Chris Mullen.

To us geezers MSG is magical. It is just another building to most people born this century.
I don't know if that's entirely true. Just an anecdotal
example but my 13-year-old son is neither a Knicks or an NBA fan (but is a Rutgers fan) and he's really excited that RU is playing at MSG. He went with me to the Big Ten Tournament at the Garden in 2018 and was captivated with the place.

I don't know if that's entirely true. Just an anecdotal
example but my 13-year-old son is neither a Knicks or an NBA fan (but is a Rutgers fan) and he's really excited that RU is playing at MSG. He went with me to the Big Ten Tournament at the Garden in 2018 and was captivated with the place.
Sounds like a smart kid and you raised him well.

You are so wrong…

Reactions: RUTravesty
Well considering I have ~25ppl wanting to attend this game bc it’s at MSG and not at the RAC speaks volumes. High majority of the attendees are kids who are excited to go to NYC for a trip. So while it may be about heading to NYC it’s also the allure of MSG as well. Many have been before and like the experience.
I do it get the same reaction when invites go out for the RAC

Well, when the big ten comes to us next year, or whenever, we tell them we would be happy to have another game as the road team at the Garden
Put it back on them
Do it nicely

Remind me.. whose "home game" is it?

If it is ours, PAY US to move it there. Enough to ship every student (and a friend) who wants to go to go. Tickets, buses, beers... okay, the students can supply their own "spirit".

The B1G wants it there.. MSU wants it there.. MSG wants it there.. PAY US.

Today's New York Post features a full page interview with Gus Johnson, a prominent college basketball sportscaster. Gus described Madison Square Garden: "There's nothing, nothing and I mean nothing like the World's Most Famous Arena." Why wouldn't Rutgers want to play one of its 20 home games this season in the world's most famous arena, which is also the world's most accessible arena, easily and affordably reached by those who attend Rutgers games at the RAC.

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo commented in October on the upcoming game between Rutgers and his team. Tom's conclusion, "Madison Square Garden is where every player dreams of playing. I think it’s going to be good." Tom knows college basketball - he has led his team to eight Final Four appearances.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Today's New York Post features a full page interview with Gus Johnson, a prominent college basketball sportscaster. Gus described Madison Square Garden: "There's nothing, nothing and I mean nothing like the World's Most Famous Arena." Why wouldn't Rutgers want to play one of its 20 home games this season in the world's most famous arena, which is also the world's most accessible arena, easily and affordably reached by those who attend Rutgers games at the RAC.

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo commented in October on the upcoming game between Rutgers and his team. Tom's conclusion, "Madison Square Garden is where every player dreams of playing. I think it’s going to be good." Tom knows college basketball - he has led his team to eight Final Four appearances.
Didn’t you not watch the Indiana game at the RAC? The toughest home court in college basketball?

I wouldn’t mind playing ONE of our TWENTY (actually 19 I think) home games at MSG. What I do mind is playing one of our TEN CONFERENCE games at MSG meaning we only get 9 while everyone else gets 10. This league is brutal and we’ve got an amazing home court advantage and by losing one home game we’ve decreased our chances of WINNING a really important game. I care about winning conference games. Of course Gus Johnson wouldn’t know why we wouldn’t want to give up a home conference game. He’s a broadcaster not a fan and most of these broadcasters and national columnists don’t remember what it is to be a fan. They have no skin in the game. What does he care if we make the NCAA Tournament or where we get seeded in the Big Ten Tournament? And I enjoy going to games at the RAC since I live in NJ and it’s a great atmosphere. I also highly doubt Gus Johnson has ever even been to the RAC either. Certainly not in the Big Ten era if ever.

Wow that was a longer rant than I had anticipated.

I wouldn’t mind playing ONE of our TWENTY (actually 19 I think) home games at MSG. What I do mind is playing one of our TEN CONFERENCE games at MSG meaning we only get 9 while everyone else gets 10. This league is brutal and we’ve got an amazing home court advantage and by losing one home game we’ve decreased our chances of WINNING a really important game. I care about winning conference games. Of course Gus Johnson wouldn’t know why we wouldn’t want to give up a home conference game. He’s a broadcaster not a fan and most of these broadcasters and national columnists don’t remember what it is to be a fan. They have no skin in the game. What does he care if we make the NCAA Tournament or where we get seeded in the Big Ten Tournament? And I enjoy going to games at the RAC since I live in NJ and it’s a great atmosphere. I also highly doubt Gus Johnson has ever even been to the RAC either. Certainly not in the Big Ten era if ever.

Wow that was a longer rant than I had anticipated.

If EVERY team played a home conference game at a neutral site then fine otherwise no thanks.

Needs to be fair across the board.

Hmm I am actually starting to get convinced here by others. I think I agree now, yes I want to play at MSG every year but not a B1G game that would otherwise be a home game. Play UNC there or Gonzaga, etc.

Reactions: Unionst
some still live in the past and the glory of the old big east---times have changed. By the way, and I have a home in Manhattan, lately I'm not hanging around outside the garden after a game--only a guy living in a Connecticut bubble would recommend that.

Not a big fan personally of the MSG game, but I get it. On the whole players and fans definitely want it and it's great exposure to boot. Nothing wrong with playing rotating home/away games there once a year. It's a win/win.

If EVERY team played a home conference game at a neutral site then fine otherwise no thanks.

Needs to be fair across the board.
Here is an outside the box idea when USC and UCLA join the league: go to a 21 game conference schedule, with everyone having 10 H, 10 A, and one neutral site matchup. Get the USC/UCLA teams to play where the Lakers or Clippers play. Northwestern - Bulls. Michigan/MSU - Detroit. Indiana and Purdue, play a game in Indianapolis. Etc. A chance to showcase the league in pro arenas around the conference footprint without taking away a home game.

Here is an outside the box idea when USC and UCLA join the league: go to a 21 game conference schedule, with everyone having 10 H, 10 A, and one neutral site matchup. Get the USC/UCLA teams to play where the Lakers or Clippers play. Northwestern - Bulls. Michigan/MSU - Detroit. Indiana and Purdue, play a game in Indianapolis. Etc. A chance to showcase the league in pro arenas around the conference footprint without taking away a home game.
Actually a pretty good idea. You can even have 4 doubleheaders.

It's fine to do it once every 8-10 years (meaning we also get a road game there once every 8-10 years). Any more than that is overkill.

I went to the Michigan game in 2020 and while I had a great time I won't be going to the Michigan State game there this year. But probably in a few years I'll be excited to do it again.

some still live in the past and the glory of the old big east---times have changed. By the way, and I have a home in Manhattan, lately I'm not hanging around outside the garden after a game--only a guy living in a Connecticut bubble would recommend that.
yeah that part is a bummer. before city went to shit would have spent the day there with the kids - Dylans Candy, Midtown Comics, Mr Throwback, etc. now i just want to get back to the garage and the GTFO of there.

No longer live in the area, but many years ago Rutgers would occasionally play at the Garden and I looked forward to going. Sometimes a local opponnent like NYU, sometimes NIT when it was relevant. Always a good time

"The number of new leases signed in November plunged 39% over October, marking the biggest decline since the start of the pandemic in 2020, according to Miller."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT