ADVERTISEMENT

The insane horn on third down

Uh oh. I think @RU848789 has played that song while DJ-ing some of my parties. And I know for sure he’s done so at some of his parties. So I’m just wondering now, given this thread, if we have to turn in our RUFB fan cards. Who knew a song could be so polarizing? 🙂
Have played it at a few parties, because it's an ass-kicking song. Have no issue with it being played at RU games on occasion, but don't think it should be a "feature" song that gets played most/all of the time.

As others have said, those should be songs unique to RU or NJ in some way and as @e5fdny said, that means songs like Don't Stop Believin' or big songs from NJ artists like Bruce or Bon Jovi or even Sinatra. And if we're going to play a fairly cheesy old songs that were big hits back in the day, why would we choose Sweet Caroline, which has been used by so many other teams and use Brandy, by Looking Glass, a song that was just as huge (it was #1 in 1972) and was done by a band that formed at RU?

Unfortunately, with regard to more recent NJ/RU/NB acts, the pickings are a bit slimmer. Sure Bouncing Souls from NB has "Ole" which has been used at sporting events before, but not as much recently and it was never a "hit" that would get everyone singing (probably, unless they played it enough). And Gaslight Anthem is from NJ and got their start at RU basement shows, but while they were pretty big, they weren't HUGE.

So, if we wanted to pick a song that is ginormous (was #1 for 12 friggin' weeks), fairly recent (2016), would be a huge singalong favorite and features a bona fide Jersey girl, look no further than "Closer" by the Chainsmokers, featuring Halsey. It's one of my favorite pop/EDM hits and would absolutely get the crowd singing, as I would think almost everyone knows this song (featuring one of the hottest videos ever). If Mr. Brightside can be a sing-along at football games, certainly this could. Might not be upbeat enough for football, although Sweet Caroline ain't exactly a hard rocker either.

Have played it at a few parties, because it's an ass-kicking song. Have no issue with it being played at RU games on occasion, but don't think it should be a "feature" song that gets played most/all of the time.

As others have said, those should be songs unique to RU or NJ in some way and as @e5fdny said, that means songs like Don't Stop Believin' or big songs from NJ artists like Bruce or Bon Jovi or even Sinatra. And if we're going to play a fairly cheesy old songs that were big hits back in the day, why would we choose Sweet Caroline, which has been used by so many other teams and use Brandy, by Looking Glass, a song that was just as huge (it was #1 in 1972) and was done by a band that formed at RU?

Unfortunately, with regard to more recent NJ/RU/NB acts, the pickings are a bit slimmer. Sure Bouncing Souls from NB has "Ole" which has been used at sporting events before, but not as much recently and it was never a "hit" that would get everyone singing (probably, unless they played it enough). And Gaslight Anthem is from NJ and got their start at RU basement shows, but while they were pretty big, they weren't HUGE.

So, if we wanted to pick a song that is ginormous (was #1 for 12 friggin' weeks), fairly recent (2016), would be a huge singalong favorite and features a bona fide Jersey girl, look no further than "Closer" by the Chainsmokers, featuring Halsey. It's one of my favorite pop/EDM hits and would absolutely get the crowd singing, as I would think almost everyone knows this song (featuring one of the hottest videos ever). If Mr. Brightside can be a sing-along at football games, certainly this could. Might not be upbeat enough for football, although Sweet Caroline ain't exactly a hard rocker either.

Great song, currently on both my spotify and tidal “good shit” playlists. But probably not so great for at a football game.

WTF, are we in the friggin UK now?!?!

Learn how to curse like a man - pr#ck, mf'r or cksk'r would be acceptable.

If you happen to be from the UK, please accept my apology. Otherwise, you sound like a skinny-jean wearing candy-a$$ poser.
Oh thank god you're here!!

The a$$hole who's been around Rutgers since the 80's but only crawls out of his hole to defend PSU's honor had been sorely missed for 2 years now.

I feel honored you broke your silence to say something stupid to me.

Not a huge fan of third down horn. But..

why are people chanting “**** Penn state” during a game against.. anyone but Penn state? That’s stupid

2rjj6w.jpg

We don't need to borrow Pitt's traditions. We should have our own. Having the student section yell "Rutgers" whenever they say "Thunder" in AC/DC's Thunderstruck? That would make a tradition.
That was suggested by someone (😉) on here and actually implemented by a previous crew up in the booth.

Not sure why “RUTGERS-struck” went by the wayside?

Don’t you mean Ye? LOL
I was using the phonetic spelling to make the weak joke. But yes.

I wonder how many people actually know, or care, that "Ye" is pronounced "yay"? Whatever his name is now, he needs to find a different therapist. The one's he's got ain't working.

I was using the phonetic spelling to make the weak joke. But yes.

I wonder how many people actually know, or care, that "Ye" is pronounced "yay"? Whatever his name is now, he needs to find a different therapist. The one's he's got ain't working.
I liked it better when Prince did the symbol thing.

If you’re going to go “there” like he he did, why not really go there and go waaaaaay out there.

Reactions: mildone
That was suggested by someone (😉) on here and actually implemented by a previous crew up in the booth.

Not sure why “RUTGERS-struck” went by the wayside?
it lasted for about two games and they never got it right

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT