ADVERTISEMENT

The insane horn on third down

The horn is flat out awful and needs to go. It’s the epitomie of little league and a complete embarrassmet. I literally cringe every time I hear that damn thing
Agreed. It reminds me of that stupid video they tried to push several years ago where the cartoon character was singing RU instead of Hey Jude. Very small time and annoying. No one sitting near me had anything good to say about the train horn.

I don't care if the Boston Red Sox fans started it. Ped State fans brought it to college football. I associate it with Ped State just as most college football fans do. Whenever it plays, don't sing it. Tell others in your group to do the same. That's the only way we'll get it to stop. Hobbs certainly isn't listening to us.

On the other hand, when they play Bon Jovi, sing it loud.

Agreed. It reminds me of that stupid video they tried to push several years ago where the cartoon character was singing RU instead of Hey Jude. Very small time and annoying. No one sitting near me had anything good to say about the train horn.
That you could hear at least.

i'm sure I'm the minority but the train horn is fine...was just too long. .if we are complaining about noise, RU should build a platform in the west section on the second level and have the cannon on a large platform that would drive appearance when it's done and you could add a small video board over/under it..HIGHLIGHT the cannon.. like Seattle does for the 12th man ...Having it in the corner endzone that half the crowd can't see and with that sound it's a wonder that those tickets are the last to sell and are the visting section...

For the record, I've been bitching about this loudly in here and in my Fan Experience Surveys since it became obvious vs. Iowa.

And yes, it is almost assuredly PJ Mullen defending the faith.

I haven't done the survey yet but this inspired me.

I'm good spirited about the noise and get it but this is so targeted, dumb and holding it down is purposefully awful.

Reactions: RU-AGK
I don't care if the Boston Red Sox fans started it. Ped State fans brought it to college football. I associate it with Ped State just as most college football fans do. Whenever it plays, don't sing it. Tell others in your group to do the same. That's the only way we'll get it to stop. Hobbs certainly isn't listening to us.

On the other hand, when they play Bon Jovi, sing it loud.

I thought that they had to stop playing bc of "touching you, touching me"

I read it...your response implied to substitute a song which is already popular, which is why I responded to you. Bon Jovi has always done well. Add it to the rotation but dont take away songs that work, people enjoy in the majority, and encourage participation. Part of the negative opinion here was a PSU grad is playing a song utilized by his alma mater, thinking he was bringing part of PSU here (which he really isnt because it was popularized by the Red Sox). But since some of our fans are obsessed with our PA neighbors, Rutgers shouldn't be allowed to do one single thing PSU does even though our fanbase enjoys it. Sometimes the rationale here is kinda comical.
Again,

Pick another popular song, there are like a million to choose from, play it and we will get the same reaction…the crowd will engage and sing along.

You like the song, I like the song. But maybe not for OUR gameday.

Comical indeed. LOL

Reactions: William J. Leggett
I hate Sweet Caroline and Neil Diamond and associate the song with unc and BC, two teams/schools/fanbases I also hate. When I heard it yesterday I wanted to puke. And I'd say about half the fans in 127 were singing/mouthing it, just seeming to go along with it and not because they liked it.

Haven’t been going to games this season. I miss the tailgates a lot. But do not miss the stadium experience at all, almost entirely due the loud piped in noise. And, from the sound of it, the added train horniness just makes it that much worse.

I thought that they had to stop playing bc of "touching you, touching me"

Yeah, you would think that, but I guess Ped State fans think that nothing ever happened, so there's no need to change anything. I just checked with a buddy of mine that went to the Ped State game yesterday and he said they still play the song and sing along.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Again,

Pick another popular song, there are like a million to choose from, play it and we will get the same reaction…the crowd will engage and sing along.

Comical indeed. LOL
Again, why change it? Because someone else uses it? So if Syracuse has used "Living on a Prayer" for the past 20 years, we shouldn't? If the fans like it, go with it. Does using this song hit a nerve for a particular reason for you?

Yeah, OK Professor Plum, then explain the Lion Roar last year to me? A Freudian slip, he's using the same sh*t psu uses. It's not a stretch at all when Rutgers has never been associated with any type of feline in its history. A chicken maybe, but no damn cats. He simply forgot to take it out of the psu playbook.
That's up to his boss to figure that one out. Has it happened more than once? Again, "Sweet Caroline" was not a song made into a tradition by PSU. For as far as I can see, it was from the Boston Red Sox who started using it. Maybe he is a Red Sox fan and is sticking it to the Yankees fans. Those butt hurt by thinking it is a PSU tradition should take a step back.

Again, why change it? Because someone else uses it? So if Syracuse has used "Living on a Prayer" for the past 20 years, we shouldn't? If the fans like it, go with it. Does using this song hit a nerve for a particular reason for you?
What nerve?

As I said…
That’s all.🤷‍♂️

Rutgers\NJ songs which we used to play all the time and should just stick with …

Born to Run
Livin on a Prayer

I like what they’re trying to do with the Legrand believin thing, but that’s an end of night close out song being played at the beginning of the 4th Q which is the climax of the game. It’s counter mood.

otherwise we need the band to be far more active during in - game ! Like way way more ! They should be louder and have a mix of collegiate songs with mix-ups of current songs. The band has gotta step up (in size and dynamics) and game day ops has to emphasize that part of the experience WAAAAYY more. Like it should be 66% band music , 34% piped in music and more scoreboard interaction with fans in-game!

Reactions: colbert17
Stop something that engages the crowd and the majority seems to enjoy for no real valid reason. Message received.
Others in the thread have given some reasons why. Like @ScarletKid2008 above just said.

My suggestion was to maybe use some more of a local NJ flavor like we do with Bon Jovi.

I’m sure there is a Sinatra, Springsteen or even a Kool and the Gang song out there that will engage the crowd the same way.

Me personally…would love for us to work in a Smithereens tune somehow/somewhere on gameday.

I mean they are from New Brunswick after all.

Last edited:
Looks like it's us, TCU and Stanford that use the horn. Not a bunch of shelps, but not murderer's row either.

It's little league. Just like the boats in the endzone / hot tub in the stadium vs. Washington in 2017. Start acting like we're in the B1G.

Others in the thread have given some reasons why. Like @ScarletKid2008 above just said.

My suggestion was to maybe use some more of a local NJ flavor like we do with Bon Jovi.

I’m sure there is a Sinatra, Springsteen or even a Kool and the Gang song out there that will engage the crowd the same way.

Me personally…would love for us to work in a Smithereens tune somehow/somewhere on gameday.

I mean they are from New Brunswick after all.

Maybe some Thursday or Gaslight Anthem too if we're talking bands that got their start in NB.

And JC's own Kool and the Gang have a ton of football game appropriate music but I don't hear them much.

Maybe some Thursday or Gaslight Anthem too if we're talking bands that got their start in NB.

And JC's own Kool and the Gang have a ton of football game appropriate music but I don't hear them much.

Born to Run and Living on a Prayer should be mandatory at every game. If you're looking at another sing along to replace Sweet Caroline, then Frankie Valli has a ton of them. He's from Jersey too.

I'm not so sure about assuredly. I'd lean heavily towards RU admin trying to drown out something that can offend several layers of fans (elderly, numerous youth organizations, etc). How is Rutgers supposed to build a fan base (especially with kids and young parents of kids) when they come to a game and hear FU chants every 3rd and 4th down? For the record, I'm not against the chant and I think the horn is way overdone.

Banned, why? Why stop something that got a good percentage of fans engaged? That was evident the moment the music was turned off and the stadium was singing the song.

Might as well give credit where credit is due. It's been a Red Sox song much longer than it has been a PSU song. The fact that some are insisting Mullen is trying to bring PSU traditions into SHI stadium is a stretch. Just as much as me saying maybe he is a Boston fan trying to bring Fenway traditions to Rutgers. Long live "Sweet Caroline" (and the Red Sox)!!!
**** sweet Caroline. Awful ****ing song has no place being played at RU or anywhere in the tri state.

We live in a time when people, especially, younger people, need constant stimulation. It's been determined by the sports gods that constant, loud piped in noise is needed between every play and every pitch with scoreboards assaulting us with "GET LOUDER!" and "MAKE SOME NOISE!" pleas.
I use to tell my teams that the only thing worse than no enthusiasm is fake enthusiasm. Yelling because a score board tells you to is an example of the later.
Perfect example of real enthusiasm devolving to something manufactured. The whole standing and clapping with two strikes on a batter I believe goes back to a Yankee game in the late 70s when Ron Guidry struck out 18 California Angels. It was a natural and spontaneous event. Now every time some body get two strikes the scoreboard yells "Get on your feet!" and "Clap your hands"!
Watching sports, both in person and on TV, is just getting less enjoyable at a higher cost.

If you don't want to go with a Jersey song how about Earth, Wind and Fire's, "September" it would get everyone on their feet and all can join in the chorus. No body knows what their saying any way so even the drunks would sound coherent.

Reactions: mildone

I mean they are from New Brunswick after all.the

I mean they are from New Brunswick after all
3 members of The Smithereens are from Carteret and the lead singer Scotch Plains

so is covering up child rape and then saying Joe Pa didn’t know.
FPS but What does that have to do with a Rutgers Football game Vs everyone else? It’s as obnoxious as the Potvin Sucks chant at Rangers games for the last 40 years.

Comes into thread bemoaning how the horn drowning out the chant is harmful to what little organic atmosphere we have during a game.

"Everyone's weird but me!"
What’s the point of screaming if you can’t be heard?

Destroying the 3rd down chant song with the train horn seems so much like what Ash did with our traditions. I don’t even hear Metallicas Whom The Bell Tolls song anymore with the horn and Ozzy mixed in, so stupid.
I’m shocked they didn’t keep that heart beat playing on third down with the Metallica song, train horn, and the announcer yelling THIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDD DOOOOOWN!!!! Talk about overload.

Wait… Say that again… Is that serious??? WTF would we hire someone from there?? I seriously hope that isn’t true. I’m sorry… NO ONE from that school should be trusted when it comes to football. GS is so worried about the media having access….. JFC…
Ummmmmm you do realize Greg Schiano came from their correct?

I can understand Sweet Caroline. New Jersey is such a wasteland with no history of any type of musical success and is bereft of of any band or individual who has achieved anything in the industry.
(sarcasm meter turned to max).
Springsteen sucks (no sarcasm detected)

He worked there at some point in his career. Just like when he was a GA here, the Bears, etc.

But he was hired (like the guys were complaining about - they came from State Penn) from Miami.
So wait, I’m trying to get the what’s acceptable and not from Penn state squared away…. So if a guy previously worked for PSU but had left that job since then prior to joining Rutgers that’s kosher but if we hire someone directly from a job at PSU that’s unacceptable? I’m picturing the meme right now of Charlie fro it’s always sunny doing the math equation making sense of this…

Did I say Springsteen? He's just one of many musical talents the state's produced. But like it or not world wide he is part of the idenity of NJ. More than once when I tell someone I'm from NJ Springsteen's name will come up.
Part of the ‘identity’ of NJ is being the ‘Armpit of America’ as well… when something is as unlistenable as Springsteen it’s best to just move on….
now I definitely think ‘Youth Gone Wild’ by Skid Row would be kickass…. Also a much better jersey artist

Heck maybe even throw is a bouncing souls song in their for those of us who know…😉

So wait, I’m trying to get the what’s acceptable and not from Penn state squared away…. So, if a guy previously worked for PSU but had left that job since then prior to joining Rutgers that’s kosher but if we hire someone directly from a job at PSU that’s unacceptable? I’m picturing the meme right now of Charlie from it’s always sunny doing the math equation making sense of this…
Yes. Those are the rules.

As Dick MacPherson used to say...."Dick Anderson wears Penn State underwear."

Reactions: ScarletDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT