ADVERTISEMENT

The RAC and Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dollarbill

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I went to WVB Friday night at the RAC. I had to wear a mask. I didn't like it. I started thinking about what percentage of fans at a typical MBB game with 6000 people will be vaccinated. I'm vaccinated and I would assume the entire student section will be also. I know things can change and more kids may be vaccinated by Thanksgiving. I may be in no hurry to attend too many events under the current scenario. Yes, I know this is my choice. Thanks for listening. $$$$

Reactions: bac2therac
I am glad to be able to attend. If I had the choice I would not wear a mask. I am also in not a high risk category.

If I were 75 and not in good shape and knew I probably wouldn't survive getting COVID I would NOT attend if there wasn't a mask requirement.

Let's also understand that a lot of the donors fit in that category. We also don't know if they have hands or are just sitting on them. 😀

My prediction is that there will be rampant chin diapering going on at basketball games.
What exactly is a chin diaper ? Is that anything like that thing that surgeons wear ?

I will be sipping water all night so I wont be wearing the mask.
Hope you're vaccinated and in good health.
Personal choices are something we all understand, but the choice not to protect your neighbor , if a chance of being infected and not protected, might be one we should condemn.

Taking masks off to eat and drink in indoor vewnues lessen the effectiveness of mask mandates and proof of vaccination , without any exceptions, should be the only entrance requirement.

Rememeber the "loud music" thread where everyone said

"Old people pay for the program. The school should consider and prioritize the elder fans when making decisions."

Does that apply to the RAC as well? Mandate masks to benefit the "high-risk" elderly fans who pay for the program?

What exactly is a chin diaper ? Is that anything like that thing that surgeons wear ?

Chin diaper is when you wear your mask below your chin instead of over your mouth and nose.

I went to WVB Friday night at the RAC. I had to wear a mask. I didn't like it. I started thinking about what percentage of fans at a typical MBB game with 6000 people will be vaccinated. I'm vaccinated and I would assume the entire student section will be also. I know things can change and more kids may be vaccinated by Thanksgiving. I may be in no hurry to attend too many events under the current scenario. Yes, I know this is my choice. Thanks for listening. $$$$

I thought all students had to be vaccinated to attend RU? Just say no to chin diapers if you are vaxed or had the virus and have antibodies

Reactions: bac2therac
So I am fully vaxxed, but my seats are less that 6 feet away from the RU Bench, I wonder if I will be allowed to sit at my seats or if the AD/President will like step in

I wonder how many thousands have died since the Syracuse game. There were MANY chin diapers, water sippers and mask refusers from what you could see on the broadcast. So I would expect that thousands were infected and in turn they infected thousands more. Surely there are good numbers to prove this?

Likewise the population of Texas is going to decline big time. No one was masked up at AT&T stadium for the Eagles game. Surely the numbers will show the recklessness of healthy, vaccinated, non-symptomatic football fans acting like super spreaders. Oh the humanity.

Cloth masks don't work. Only properly fitted surgical masks or KN95's work. A friend of mine is a microbiologist and this is what he told me.
I was told the same thing by a friend who is a PhD plus two post doctorals with two Nobel prize laureates. He teaches immunology and pathology at an Ivy League school. One of the smartest people you will ever meet. he says that there is no study demonstrating any significant value to wearing cloth masks or typical store-bought disposable masks.

Speak for yourself. If peeps next to me are vaccinated and I'm vaccinated and they are wearing a mask they are good to go. I thought their masks work also.

Exactly if you think the mask actual works and you are vaxxed why would you care if a healthy person sitting next to you isnt wearing one

#logic #commonsense #liveyourlife

I was told the same thing by a friend who is a PhD plus two post doctorals with two Nobel prize laureates. He teaches immunology and pathology at an Ivy League school. One of the smartest people you will ever meet. he says that there is no study demonstrating any significant value to wearing cloth masks or typical store-bought disposable masks.

You're friend might be wrong.
Sometimes people only believe what they want to believe.
Anything that goes against what is believed tends to be ignored by them.

Science Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 | CDC

At least ten studies have confirmed the benefit of universal masking in community level analyses: in a unified hospital system,42 a German city,43 two U.S. states,44, 45 a panel of 15 U.S. states and Washington, D.C.,46, 47 as well as both Canada48 and the U.S. 49-51 nationally. Each analysis demonstrated that, following directives from organizational and political leadership for universal masking, new infections fell significantly. Two of these studies46, 47 and an additional analysis of data from 200 countries that included the U.S.51 also demonstrated reductions in mortality. Another 10-site study showed reductions in hospitalization growth rates following mask mandate implementation 49. A separate series of cross-sectional surveys in the U.S. suggested that a 10% increase in self-reported mask wearing tripled the likelihood of stopping community transmission.53 An economic analysis using U.S. data found that, given these effects, increasing universal masking by 15% could prevent the need for lockdowns and reduce associated losses of up to $1 trillion or about 5% of gross domestic product.47

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

Science Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 | CDC

At least ten studies have confirmed the benefit of universal masking in community level analyses: in a unified hospital system,42 a German city,43 two U.S. states,44, 45 a panel of 15 U.S. states and Washington, D.C.,46, 47 as well as both Canada48 and the U.S. 49-51 nationally. Each analysis demonstrated that, following directives from organizational and political leadership for universal masking, new infections fell significantly. Two of these studies46, 47 and an additional analysis of data from 200 countries that included the U.S.51 also demonstrated reductions in mortality. Another 10-site study showed reductions in hospitalization growth rates following mask mandate implementation 49. A separate series of cross-sectional surveys in the U.S. suggested that a 10% increase in self-reported mask wearing tripled the likelihood of stopping community transmission.53 An economic analysis using U.S. data found that, given these effects, increasing universal masking by 15% could prevent the need for lockdowns and reduce associated losses of up to $1 trillion or about 5% of gross domestic product.47

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

yeah well we have BIden official saying that masks that most people wear really are not effective at all.....if you are not wearing N95 or K95 than its not helping.

There is a reason why every mask study before covid said masks were ineffective.

posting something from cdc about masking wont change this.

if you believe in what the cdc is telling you and feel you need to wear a mask, that is your right to do so, I dont have an issue with it

Fact is at this point, no ones mind will be changed. you either like to wear them for some reason or you dont believe in them. It should be up to the individual to decide how they want to proceed in public spaces

Reactions: 216 Row E
Ask some people about masks and they will say it's all political.

Ask how and you'll never a response.

OR...if you get a response it will be, "If you can't see that it's all political, I can't help you".

its not political for me at all, is it for others I dont know, I know a few where it clearly is

and this topic should be able to be discussed without people tearing into one another or bringing political affiliation into it, I think for the most par this thread has been okay

Cloth masks don't work. Only properly fitted surgical masks or KN95's work. A friend of mine is a microbiologist and this is what he told me.
I wouldn’t say they don’t work. But the legit masks work MUCH better

I wouldn’t say they don’t work. But the legit masks work MUCH better
True and too many people believe wearing a cloth mask will keep you safe from breathing in the virus.
That's not true , from my understanding, wearing a mask helps keep you from breathing out virus particles that can infect others not keep out the particles in the air you breath in .
The knock on cloth masks not being useful is true for some of the single layered ones, double layer cloth masks seem to be fairly effective in keeping someone from breathing ut the virus particle droplets, but there are not protection from breathing those virus particles tn , when you're by an infected person , double layered or not.

The only thing is, in my mind, should we dismiss mask wearing and consider wearing one a useless effort or decide the inconvenience of wearing one worth the effort to help control covid19 by being part of an effort of protecting those around you, even if you don't know the people around you.

We all have the choice of going out of our way for others, in the hope we are doing the right thing, or feel it's not worth the effort.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
True and too many people believe wearing a cloth mask will keep you safe from breathing in the virus.
That's not true , from my understanding, wearing a mask helps keep you from breathing out virus particles that can infect others not keep out the particles in the air you breath in .
The knock on cloth masks not being useful is true for some of the single layered ones, double layer cloth masks seem to be fairly effective in keeping someone from breathing ut the virus particle droplets, but there are not protection from breathing those virus particles tn , when you're by an infected person , double layered or not.

The only thing is, in my mind, should we dismiss mask wearing and consider wearing one a useless effort or decide the inconvenience of wearing one worth the effort to help control covid19 by being part of an effort of protecting those around you, even if you don't know the people around you.

We all have the choice of going out of our way for others, in the hope we are doing the right thing, or feel it's not worth the effort.

fully agree

Those who keep posting definitive comments like this or that does not work don't seem to understand.

Everything.has always been about REDUCING RISK. There is a list of things that you can do to reduce risk based on how effective they are. Examples only. I don't know the real percentages except no contact.

100% : Stay home and don't have contact with anyone.

92% - 88%: Vaccination.

40% - Social Distance

40 % - Wearing a mask.

70% - Social + Mask.

98% - Vaccinated + Mask

Last edited:
Yet your first comment here was a definitive statement.... Masks don't work !

They reduce the risk of breathing in or breathing out. The risk reduction levels may differ but it reduces risk.

We all have our own risk assessments. You are entitled to yours

I would refrain from throwing out made up numbers tho

i will complain because there is no reason to be forcing people to wear masks 18 months into this when people are vaccinated and the little thin blue masks really dont do anything

i find these mandates are more about control, power and theater than anything else. If videos of politicians and movie stars maskless indoors while their servants wear masks have not convinced you yet then I do not know what to tell you

I will also note that the CDC took away the mask recommendations and then brought it back, it was basically a day later the RAC policy was announced, make no mistake they just didnt do an about face in one day, Rutgers was fully ready for masking at the RAC whether then CDC changed its mind again or not

its the same reasons that i find colleges requiring masking idiotic despite all students being vaccinated...and double masking even at Umass despite everyone being vaccinated.

Yawn

I hate masks. I’m vaccinated. My youngest son cannot be yet, and I wear to help reduce chance of bringing it home and out of respect for others around me. It’s not about my choice or freedom, it’s doing my part to help others. Responsibility. Not selfishness. I blame unvaccinated and those reckless for prolonging this, then begging for hospitals to treat them. I stopped wearing after getting vaccinated and over summer with delta I started wearing indoors again. And hospitals can’t treat those without COVID for other legimate reasons. And little blue masks are marginal, it’s about the N95 and over nose.

the you do you, I do me crowd amazes me.

I hate masks. I’m vaccinated. My youngest son cannot be yet, and I wear to help reduce chance of bringing it home and out of respect for others around me. It’s not about my choice or freedom, it’s doing my part to help others. Responsibility. Not selfishness. I blame unvaccinated and those reckless for prolonging this, then begging for hospitals to treat them. I stopped wearing after getting vaccinated and over summer with delta I started wearing indoors again. And hospitals can’t treat those without COVID for other legimate reasons. And little blue masks are marginal, it’s about the N95 and over nose.
the you do you, I do me crowd amazes me.
yeah, masks people wear don’t help at all and are actually detrimental.

I’m not anti mask, but it’s still mind boggling to me that people actually think those rinky dink crappy masks actually do anything. There have been numerous reports that have come out that say they don’t. Same with those stupid plastic “dividers.” I’m all for the N95 masks though

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT