ADVERTISEMENT

The RAC and Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not anti mask, but it’s still mind boggling to me that people actually think those rinky dink crappy masks actually do anything. There have been numerous reports that have come out that say they don’t. Same with those stupid plastic “dividers.” I’m all for the N95 masks though
I try to avoid people wearing their filthy cloth or dollar store masks that they keep touching & fidgeting with. Disease spreaders.

Last edited:
Reactions: biazza38
I went to WVB Friday night at the RAC. I had to wear a mask. I didn't like it. I started thinking about what percentage of fans at a typical MBB game with 6000 people will be vaccinated. I'm vaccinated and I would assume the entire student section will be also. I know things can change and more kids may be vaccinated by Thanksgiving. I may be in no hurry to attend too many events under the current scenario. Yes, I know this is my choice. Thanks for listening. $$$$

buy a water..sip throughout. No mask needed.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Hope you're vaccinated and in good health.
Personal choices are something we all understand, but the choice not to protect your neighbor , if a chance of being infected and not protected, might be one we should condemn.

Taking masks off to eat and drink in indoor vewnues lessen the effectiveness of mask mandates and proof of vaccination , without any exceptions, should be the only entrance requirement.

don’t vaxes protect our neighbors?? If they don’t wanna vax..I’m not protecting them. Sorry

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I’m not anti mask, but it’s still mind boggling to me that people actually think those rinky dink crappy masks actually do anything. There have been numerous reports that have come out that say they don’t. Same with those stupid plastic “dividers.” I’m all for the N95 masks though
This is spot on

Hilariously sad when you see kids wearing those masks in schools that don't fit and literally do nothing but harm, in more ways than one.

I just listen to my friends and associates that are in the medical and microbiology fields and take their word over the governments word. I wish the government would come out and tell the truth about how minimal the protection is with cloth masks. Why after more than 1.5 years of this pandemic in the US haven't they handed out masks that will give citizens real protection against getting the virus.

I just listen to my friends and associates that are in the medical and microbiology fields and take their word over the governments word. I wish the government would come out and tell the truth about how minimal the protection is with cloth masks. Why after more than 1.5 years of this pandemic in the US haven't they handed out masks that will give citizens real protection against getting the virus.
Stop thinking so logically lol. But in all seriousness, you nailed it. If you’re gonna force students to wear masks, why not hand them out

I wonder how many thousands have died since the Syracuse game. There were MANY chin diapers, water sippers and mask refusers from what you could see on the broadcast. So I would expect that thousands were infected and in turn they infected thousands more. Surely there are good numbers to prove this?

Likewise the population of Texas is going to decline big time. No one was masked up at AT&T stadium for the Eagles game. Surely the numbers will show the recklessness of healthy, vaccinated, non-symptomatic football fans acting like super spreaders. Oh the humanity.
Well, first of all, the Carrier Dome is a cavernous 50,000 seat multi deck stadium that was maybe half filled. Also, everyone entering the building had to show proof of vaccination or a negative test within 72 hours and given a wrist band before they could walk in the place. Rutgers is a bandbox that everyone expects will be sold out most if not all of the year and they are not requiring proof of ANYTHING to step in the place. The only real reason anyone has to still wear masks is because of the freaking idiots out in the general public that didn't or won't get vaccinated and complained about and refused to wear masks before there was a vaccine. Some day these people will wake up and ask themselves how the hell did they allow themselves to be played by people whose only interest was self-interest to the point that people voluntarily risked their health and the health of the rest of the population to satisfy the egos and lust for power and/or money of some.

I also don't want to hear "I don't listen the the government. I listen to my friends in the medical community." I had a family member that worked in a nursing home for the past year and there was a nurse there that wouldn't get vaccinated because she was telling people that the vaccine installed some chip in you so the government could listen in on you. So, if your friends in the medical community are getting their information from propaganda mills or Facebook then... I think everyone knows by now which masks work the best. That's not a secret but anything is better than nothing.

I'm pissed off that I have to wear a mask at the RAC because I shouldn't have to by now. If everyone had been like me and played by the rules and, novel concept, actually had consideration for others, we wouldn't still be in this place. Americans made all sorts of sacrifices during World War II. Some people actually fought the enemy on the ground, sea, and air and risked their lives and the rest of the population pulled together and did their part to defeat the enemy. Doing without a lot of good and services they were used to, working in factories to support the effort, turning all of their lights out at night so the enemy could not identify their cities. All this to defeat a common enemy. All we asked some to do was wear a mask or get a couple shots in the arm and that was too much for them.

Last edited:
And for those that think they are too young and healthy to die or have long term problems from covid that has all changed since the "Delta" strain came to our shore.
People that are vaccinated can carry a covid load although not to the extent of a non vaccinated person.
Also the natural protection from those that have had covid varies from each individual while those that have natural protection that get the shot usually have sky high protection.
Pregnant women are at high risk of death should they get covid, my daughter got the 2 shot Moderna during her pregnancy and last week gave birth to a healthy 8 lb 1 oz baby boy.

It’s common sense, people. If someone close to you were to sneeze in your direction, would you prefer if this person wore a mask or not ? Of course you would all prefer he wore a mask.

The virus is small enough to pass through the mask, but not all of it gets through. Some is within sneeze matter. The mask, distancing, reducing time all combine to lessen viral load in exposures. It’s not any one thing, it’s everything together.

Same as speed limits, seatbelts, hand held phone laws etc combine to reduce car accident injuries.

But the thing about the masks is that by not wearing them you are disregarding the health consequences to others, same as smoking indoors.

Shame on you.

It’s common sense, people. If someone close to you were to sneeze in your direction, would you prefer if this person wore a mask or not ? Of course you would all prefer he wore a mask.

The virus is small enough to pass through the mask, but not all of it gets through. Some is within sneeze matter. The mask, distancing, reducing time all combine to lessen viral load in exposures. It’s not any one thing, it’s everything together.

Same as speed limits, seatbelts, hand held phone laws etc combine to reduce car accident injuries.

But the thing about the masks is that by not wearing them you are disregarding the health consequences to others, same as smoking indoors.

Shame on you.
LOL

Shame on you.

Stop moralizing

You're friend might be wrong.
Sometimes people only believe what they want to believe.
Anything that goes against what is believed tends to be ignored by them.

Science Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 | CDC

At least ten studies have confirmed the benefit of universal masking in community level analyses: in a unified hospital system,42 a German city,43 two U.S. states,44, 45 a panel of 15 U.S. states and Washington, D.C.,46, 47 as well as both Canada48 and the U.S. 49-51 nationally. Each analysis demonstrated that, following directives from organizational and political leadership for universal masking, new infections fell significantly. Two of these studies46, 47 and an additional analysis of data from 200 countries that included the U.S.51 also demonstrated reductions in mortality. Another 10-site study showed reductions in hospitalization growth rates following mask mandate implementation 49. A separate series of cross-sectional surveys in the U.S. suggested that a 10% increase in self-reported mask wearing tripled the likelihood of stopping community transmission.53 An economic analysis using U.S. data found that, given these effects, increasing universal masking by 15% could prevent the need for lockdowns and reduce associated losses of up to $1 trillion or about 5% of gross domestic product.47

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html
It’s possible that he is wrong, but far more likely that the person at the CDC is wrong. I guarantee you that this person operates on a far higher level than some technocrat at the CDC when it comes to analyzing the validity and reliability of studies.

Reactions: bac2therac
I am glad to be able to attend. If I had the choice I would not wear a mask. I am also in not a high risk category.

If I were 75 and not in good shape and knew I probably wouldn't survive getting COVID I would NOT attend if there wasn't a mask requirement.

Let's also understand that a lot of the donors fit in that category. We also don't know if they have hands or are just sitting on them. 😀
This is a fair perspective I guess - though if you are a donor in that risk category, you can probably afford to pay for a private luxury suite anyway?

Shame on you.

The decision to reinstate cafeteria style lunch at our elementary school this fall, threw any form of Covid mask mitigation ideology out the window for me. We were avoiding indoor restaurants but decided it was ridiculous to continue to do so if our kids would be eating lunch indoors with their whole grade (not even pods by class).

I’ll respect whatever rules are in place anywhere I go, but at this point they don’t feel very consistent across the board.

It’s possible that he is wrong, but far more likely that the person at the CDC is wrong. I guarantee you that this person operates on a far higher level than some technocrat at the CDC when it comes to analyzing the validity and reliability of studies.

Its likely your friend is right. Remember those at a political organization like the CDC now is has to be 100% lockstep on everything. Your friend is free to speak from his experience and knowledge with no ramifications

To the Op... This isn't new news about the RAC and masks. Came out maybe 2 moths ago. Called my rep day after and told him I was out for the year.

I got my 3rd shot booster on Monday. People can wear or do whatever they want. Me too.
I carry an inhaler in my left pocket. Not wearing a mask to restrict my breathing so staying home.

Can't wait to see 8k people cheering thru them and hearing the stories.

Its likely your friend is right. Remember those at a political organization like the CDC now is has to be 100% lockstep on everything. Your friend is free to speak from his experience and knowledge with no ramifications
could be true, but there is a lot of misinformation being pushed and sometimes new info make the old advice look wrong. Then the conspiracy crowd starts knocking what those involved that look at this, science based, are telling us
The shame of it is, no one can really tell what thef is true anymore because some doctors and PHDs spread falsehoods about masks and the shot.

could be true, but there is a lot of misinformation being pushed and sometimes new info make the old advice look wrong. Then the conspiracy crowd starts knocking what those involved that look at this, science based, are telling us
The shame of it is, no one can really tell what thef is true anymore because some doctors and PHDs spread falsehoods about masks and the shot.

you mean all the studies that said no masking before 2020, you mean Fauci saying masks dont work maybe block a little particle

oh about conspiracies

you mean all the studies that said no masking before 2020, you mean Fauci saying masks dont work maybe block a little particle

oh about conspiracies
as I said, advice changes when scientific facts prove old theories wrong.
But conspiracy theorists take the change of advise as lies because they don't want to admit that when new information is revealed , sometimes old advice must be changed.
At the beginning of the covid 19 outbreak Fauci and other who were giving scientific base advice went by what was known at the time.
As more evidence of what masks could do to help keep the virus from spreading, they revised their mask stance because the evidence shows wearing a mask was beneficial.

So believe what you want, but new facts do change what was advised before science based knowledge found out more about the issue being addressed..
With conspiracy based advice, scientific facts are ignored or called fake and the seekers of the truth are liars if they change their POV based on scientific evidence that just became available
and give new advice because of the new evidence.

as I said, advice changes when scientific facts prove old theories wrong.
But conspiracy theorists take the change of advise as lies because they don't want to admit that when new information is revealed , sometimes old advice must be changed.
At the beginning of the covid 19 outbreak Fauci and other who were giving scientific base advice went by what was known at the time.
As more evidence of what masks could do to help keep the virus from spreading, they revised their mask stance because the evidence shows wearing a mask was beneficial.

So believe what you want, but new facts do change what was advised before science based knowledge found out more about the issue being addressed..
With conspiracy based advice, scientific facts are ignored or called fake and the seekers of the truth are liars if they change their POV based on scientific evidence that just became available
and give new advice because of the new evidence.

not sure why you keep interjecting conspiracy theory term into this discussion, please be better.

Bac…because yours is the conspiracy theory.

How about you ‘be better’ and cite what’s false about my scientific and moralistic explanation above ? If you think some aspects of my answer to you are wrong, please refute with specifics.

Enlighten us please.

Otherwise, deflect, blame and spout nonsensical theories someplace else.

Reactions: Rutgers56
I hate this thread.

This debate between anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, science deniers and everyone else on the other side is just maddening and exhausting. And it is repeated in innumerable threads any time vaccine or mask mandates are discussed.

I long for the days when we could bitch and moan about recruiting, the team’s performance, and RAC renovations.

Reactions: miklosru and ejgonz
Bac…because yours is the conspiracy theory.

How about you ‘be better’ and cite what’s false about my scientific and moralistic explanation above ? If you think some aspects of my answer to you are wrong, please refute with specifics.

Enlighten us please.

Otherwise, deflect, blame and spout nonsensical theories someplace else.

what conspiracy theory am I pushing, look if you feel your masks works then wear it and you shouldnt worry because it will protect you. I also can give you a million charts showing the same trajectory of places where they had mask mandates vs non mask mandates and guess what, eventually the virus follows very similar peaks and valleys.

I am also old enough to remember how when they said a lab leak was a wild conspiracy theory

as for your morality lameness...what a scientific argument you present..more like political science

Last edited:
I hate this thread.

This debate between anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, science deniers and everyone else on the other side is just maddening and exhausting. And it is repeated in innumerable threads any time vaccine or mask mandates are discussed.

I long for the days when we could bitch and moan about recruiting, the team’s performance, and RAC renovations.

this is about masks but people keep interjecting stuff about vaccines and conspiracy theories. Its a common tactic that is used, lump everyone who questions something as wrong and a conspiracy theorist while lumping them in as anti vax and anti mandate, anti science and a whole bunch of other things

yes you can be pro vax, anti mask and anti mandate. Yes you can ask questions without it being called conspiracy theory or having lack of morals

The idiocy of the last 18 months and watching how our politicians and media and scientists have acted about covid should open peoples eyes to ask more question not less.

the topic at hand is masks in the RAC because its something we will have to deal with this season and no its not like wearing shoes in a store

the topic at hand is masks in the RAC because its something we will have to deal with this season and no its not like wearing shoes in a store
It’s not at all like wearing shoes. Absolutely relevant as a BB thread because sadly it’s going to impact attendance if the requirement stands all season. This is not like sticking a mask on for 2 minutes to take a piss. The RAC environment is such an important advantage for RU basketball. Unfortunately, it’s not like an airplane where the decision is wear a mask or you can’t go on your trip. People can and many will just watch the games on TV who otherwise would have attended live.

Bravo Bac....keep dodging. This isn't hard. I will ask you again. Please explain what is incorrect about my mask, distancing and exposure time effects on viral load and transmissibilty.

I know you understand the question, and why you won't answer it. Because you can't. You can't refute that wearing a mask reduces virus transmission.

I'll let it go when you stop posting your kindergarten knowledge in this thread.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT