ADVERTISEMENT

The Rettig myth

ru-baby

All American
Aug 11, 2001
For some reason, quite the exacting standard has been applied to this RU qb, higher than I can recall for a non starter. Some call for him to play, others shout it down, largely using as proof his fresh year, a fired regime and first time HC and OC who have put 0 on the board in the last two weeks and who have had historic low offensive output. This is followed by the overworn gem that the "backup qb is the most popular guy on the team", posters "call for a 5th string, and if there was a 6th string they would call for that" etc (you've all seen the clichés repeated ad nauseum). In essence, whether it is Ash or the immortal rich Kotite, the premise is that the coach knows millions more than any fan and it's folly to question any personnel moves.

The myth with Retting that has developed surrounding this thinking is that he has to be head and shoulders better than anyone to see the field. Somehow he is analyzed on a curve. We see often recited that he wouldn't be throwing more td's or doing any better. Why does he even have to be better-lest so much better-to see the field GIVEN THE OFFENSIVE CIRCUMSTANCES?

We know a few things that are not arguable. One is that Rettig has actually thrown td passes is live games. Go watch the one against Ohio State last year-it's a well thrown ball and was made against Meyer who was looking to hold a shutout. Secondly, we have seen no one (Laviano, Allen or Oden)throw any real successful passes this year. Third, we have scored 0 in the last two weeks, and struggled in other weeks. Fourth, Ash has said repeatedly we have had press coverage with the box stacked and we haven't been able to beat that with the qb's to date.

Thus, why the standard that he has to be a world beater to play? Does anyone really think with him in the gun that OSU or Mich that we do worse (if that's possible)? Might we not have aired out a few long balls to a) try to score or at least get a first down b) unclog the 8 man fronts and c)create just the smallest bit of excitement. If nothing else has worked, why not give all of the qb's (and wr's and rb's) a chance? If not better than all, couldn't it just mix up the O so the D doesn't key on running plays and short passes? I've seen nothing in this O to lead one to believe some super special playbook acumen is needed to get in the gun and throw a few passes. If anything the argument can be made that Flood blew it and this current staff is showing much of the same early year GS stubbornness by having to have a qb in their "mold" rather than playing the hand dealt. However, even if Flood was right and this staff posses infallible qb analysis, at what point do you try a player who has a career td against Ash's own D because the alternative has been historically inept?

Given my druthers, we have seen enough of Laviano and Allen to know what they are capable of and would start Oden, with Retting coming in to keep the D honest and open up the field.(What about a deep ball to Agudosi?) Not only do I not see this being worse, but believe based on actual game viewing of all of the above that this presents the best chance to create some offense. That would mean Ash and Meringer would have to come to the thought of trying only a slightly different tack, rather than forcing what they thought in August would be best. At the very least, it would be a helluva lot more exciting than the roll out 4 yard passes we see.

For some reason, quite the exacting standard has been applied to this RU qb, higher than I can recall for a non starter. Some call for him to play, others shout it down, largely using as proof his fresh year, a fired regime and first time HC and OC who have put 0 on the board in the last two weeks and who have had historic low offensive output. This is followed by the overworn gem that the "backup qb is the most popular guy on the team", posters "call for a 5th string, and if there was a 6th string they would call for that" etc (you've all seen the clichés repeated ad nauseum). In essence, whether it is Ash or the immortal rich Kotite, the premise is that the coach knows millions more than any fan and it's folly to question any personnel moves.

The myth with Retting that has developed surrounding this thinking is that he has to be head and shoulders better than anyone to see the field. Somehow he is analyzed on a curve. We see often recited that he wouldn't be throwing more td's or doing any better. Why does he even have to be better-lest so much better-to see the field GIVEN THE OFFENSIVE CIRCUMSTANCES?

We know a few things that are not arguable. One is that Rettig has actually thrown td passes is live games. Go watch the one against Ohio State last year-it's a well thrown ball and was made against Meyer who was looking to hold a shutout. Secondly, we have seen no one (Laviano, Allen or Oden)throw any real successful passes this year. Third, we have scored 0 in the last two weeks, and struggled in other weeks. Fourth, Ash has said repeatedly we have had press coverage with the box stacked and we haven't been able to beat that with the qb's to date.

Thus, why the standard that he has to be a world beater to play? Does anyone really think with him in the gun that OSU or Mich that we do worse (if that's possible)? Might we not have aired out a few long balls to a) try to score or at least get a first down b) unclog the 8 man fronts and c)create just the smallest bit of excitement. If nothing else has worked, why not give all of the qb's (and wr's and rb's) a chance? If not better than all, couldn't it just mix up the O so the D doesn't key on running plays and short passes? I've seen nothing in this O to lead one to believe some super special playbook acumen is needed to get in the gun and throw a few passes. If anything the argument can be made that Flood blew it and this current staff is showing much of the same early year GS stubbornness by having to have a qb in their "mold" rather than playing the hand dealt. However, even if Flood was right and this staff posses infallible qb analysis, at what point do you try a player who has a career td against Ash's own D because the alternative has been historically inept?

Given my druthers, we have seen enough of Laviano and Allen to know what they are capable of and would start Oden, with Retting coming in to keep the D honest and open up the field.(What about a deep ball to Agudosi?) Not only do I not see this being worse, but believe based on actual game viewing of all of the above that this presents the best chance to create some offense. That would mean Ash and Meringer would have to come to the thought of trying only a slightly different tack, rather than forcing what they thought in August would be best. At the very least, it would be a helluva lot more exciting than the roll out 4 yard passes we see.

Did you not see Rettig play against Wisconsin last year? In his one chance against a starting quality big ten defense in the 3q he had two or three consecutive three and out series. He looked like a deer in the headlights in the presense of pressure and threw several terrible passes to open receivers.

Later when the scrubs came in he threw one nice long pass. And I still can't get out of my mind the play in the Ohio state game I think it was, where he tripped over his own feet while trying to evade pressure. Was embarrassed for the kid. He is the last guy you want playing when the OL Can't slow the rush

You keyboard coaches need to give it a rest

Lets see... the Wisconsin game you say, slyker? Why is throwing a QB into a blowout against a team that knows we should be passing every down.. why is that a test? That D can run/pass blitz every down.

OP makes a good point.. what have we got to lose? Just "face" of the coaches who chose not to give him any changes to play because he cannot run this awful offense.

Since they have eliminated Oden's redshirt (which is fine since a running QB can easily earn a redshirt through injury later), they should either play Oden, who seems to run this read-option best, or try Rettig to do anything but the read-option in hopes the offense can look somewhat competent. And if Rettig fails, bring in Laviano and let him run a mix of old and new.

We know a few things that are not arguable. Secondly, we have seen no one (Laviano, Allen or Oden)throw any real successful passes this year.

dontknow.gif

12120430.jpeg

rutgers-wide-receiver-jawuan-harris-2c770bc9b014536c.jpg

rutgers091716.jpg

r960-3ea381c5a30fb8b29038e35b5dd30e2b.jpg

Reactions: G-Bake and mildone

Maybe you want the rocket in there too.

Shouldn't the old cliche about the backup actually be about the backup. Kid is 5th string. What is so hard to understand about that? He has a big arm and that's it. It doesn't matter how big your arm is when a guy named Taco is totally unblocked on ever play or nobody bothers to pick up Peppers on a blitz. Can't wait until he transfers as a 5th year grad and I have to read about him tearing up the WAC. Wil say, seems like a great teammate. He's always there congratulating kids.

Reactions: mildone
I seriously cannot believe people still think that guy should be playing QB. Same people probably think Rocket Williams was an NFL talent at RB.

Reactions: Saint Puppy
I remember when he shredded Howard for a 100 yards in a half. He was on fire. (yes sarcasm)

Did you not see Rettig play against Wisconsin last year? In his one chance against a starting quality big ten defense in the 3q he had two or three consecutive three and out series. He looked like a deer in the headlights in the presense of pressure and threw several terrible passes to open receivers.

Later when the scrubs came in he threw one nice long pass. And I still can't get out of my mind the play in the Ohio state game I think it was, where he tripped over his own feet while trying to evade pressure. Was embarrassed for the kid. He is the last guy you want playing when the OL Can't slow the rush

You keyboard coaches need to give it a rest
PUNT3 PLAYS, 6 YARDS, 1:52
RUTG10WIS41

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 5
    (1:37 - 3RD) JOSH HICKS RUN FOR 3 YDS TO THE RUTGR 8

• 2nd and 7 at RUTG 8
    (1:37 - 3RD) CHRIS LAVIANO RUN FOR 3 YDS TO THE RUTGR 11

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 11
    (1:37 - 3RD) CHRIS LAVIANO PASS INCOMPLETE TO JANARION GRANT

• END OF 3RD QUARTER

• 4th and 4 at RUTG 11
    (15:00 - 4TH) MICHAEL CINTRON PUNT FOR 57 YDS, DOWNED AT THE WISC 32

As for when HR actually entered the game:

• TOUCHDOWN9 PLAYS, 68 YARDS, 4:58
    RUTG10WIS48
    • 1st and 10 at WIS 32
      (14:45 - 4TH) DARE OGUNBOWALE RUN FOR 3 YDS TO THE WISC 35

• 2nd and 7 at WIS 35
      (14:45 - 4TH) DARE OGUNBOWALE RUN FOR 4 YDS TO THE WISC 39

• 3rd and 3 at WIS 39
      (14:45 - 4TH) JOEL STAVE PASS COMPLETE TO ALEX ERICKSON FOR 21 YDS TO THE RUTGR 40 FOR A 1ST DOWN

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 40
      (14:45 - 4TH) ALEC INGOLD RUN FOR 2 YDS TO THE RUTGR 38

• 2nd and 8 at RUTG 38
      (14:45 - 4TH) DARE OGUNBOWALE RUN FOR 1 YD TO THE RUTGR 37

• 3rd and 7 at RUTG 37
      (14:45 - 4TH) JOEL STAVE PASS COMPLETE TO ALEX ERICKSON FOR 10 YDS TO THE RUTGR 27 FOR A 1ST DOWN

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 27
      (14:45 - 4TH) ALEC INGOLD RUN FOR A LOSS OF 2 YARDS TO THE RUTGR 29

• 2nd and 12 at RUTG 29
      (14:45 - 4TH) TANNER MCEVOY RUN FOR 9 YDS TO THE RUTGR 20

• 3rd and 3 at RUTG 20
      (9:47 - 4TH) TANNER MCEVOY RUN FOR 20 YDS FOR A TD, (RAFAEL GAGLIANONE KICK)
  • PUNT3 PLAYS, 0 YARDS, 0:32
    RUTG10WIS48
    • (9:47 - 4TH) P.J. ROSOWSKI KICKOFF FOR 56 YDS , JANARION GRANT RETURN FOR 11 YDS TO THE RUTGR 46 RUTGERS PENALTY, OFFENSIVE HOLDING (MATT FLANAGAN) TO THE RUTGR 10
    • 1st and 10 at RUTG 10
      (9:38 - 4TH)
      HAYDEN RETTIG PASS INCOMPLETE TO ROBERT MARTIN, BROKEN UP BY T.J. WATT

You missed the other incontrovertible fact:

Three (3) FBS coaching staffs (LSU, Flood, Ash) have evaluated the QBs on their team and decided Rettig did not earn playing time respective to the other QBs on the roster.

Well maybe Floods wasn't and FBS staff...

Anywho, none of these teams were particularly talented at QB. Rettig has had a punchers chance, but has come up short. I wish him well and am glad he took a chance on proving himself at Rutgers and has another year to do so, but I think that ship may have sailed. I hope he has a great time and gets a great start on life playing and studying at RU.

Will Slyker be happy for Hayden Rettig when he gets an invite to an NFL camp and makes a roster based on an impressive pro day throwing the ball?

Not sure.

He may be too busy sending Laviano's practice film to those know nothing NFL scouts who passed him over.

Shouldn't the old cliche about the backup actually be about the backup. Kid is 5th string. What is so hard to understand about that? He has a big arm and that's it. It doesn't matter how big your arm is when a guy named Taco is totally unblocked on ever play or nobody bothers to pick up Peppers on a blitz. Can't wait until he transfers as a 5th year grad and I have to read about him tearing up the WAC. Wil say, seems like a great teammate. He's always there congratulating kids.

5th String ...so what ? We have a 4th string QB from TCU starting now who has no resemblance of a B1G QB. I say play Oden on running plays and bring in Rettig for pass plays. Can't be any worse that this sh#tshow that we are paying to see now. 1 TD in 14 Qtrs, of football.

The "myth" with Rettig began when he first got here and a few sports board moderators said he was by far our most talented player at the position..... obviously those reports were premature... we should not fault what some gave us as an honest evaluation at that time.

It should be obvious now that Laviano IS the best Qb on the team..... we could have hoped like hell we had better, but to have Laviano start all last season under Flood, then become the starter each and every game under Ash, is telling.....

Give Ash credit for going to a backup for extended time against Ohio state.... but where did this bring us? ... right back to the original, two year analysis, that Laviano is the best we have.

You missed the other incontrovertible fact:

Three (3) FBS coaching staffs (LSU, Flood, Ash) have evaluated the QBs on their team and decided Rettig did not earn playing time respective to the other QBs on the roster.

Well maybe Floods wasn't and FBS staff...

Anywho, none of these teams were particularly talented at QB. Rettig has had a punchers chance, but has come up short. I wish him well and am glad he took a chance on proving himself at Rutgers and has another year to do so, but I think that ship may have sailed. I hope he has a great time and gets a great start on life playing and studying at RU.

Not necessarily saying they were wrong about Rettig but LSU coach and Flood were both fired...doesn't say too much for them, does it? In fact, Miles was fired for being incompetent on his decision making and use of personnel on offense according to ESPN. As for our current staff, we have scored 7 points in three weeks and lost 78-0 a few days ago...so right now I am not thinking much of what they have done so far.

Don't take that the wrong way, because the next 6 weeks can and hopefully will change my opinion. But as of right now, we look very Terry Shea-esque as a team.

Reactions: cRURah
I just want to see someone back a few of the defenders off the line of scrimmage. The only way that happens, is if the QB can connect a pass. The other day, Michigan decimated our O-line, they blitz right through, and to be fair, I'm not even sure they needed to blitz, but when they bring the house you need to go over the top to keep them honest. It is not my contention that Rettig should be the starter, or that he is better than the others, BUT WE WERE 2 FOR 18 ON PASSES THE OTHER NIGHT.

What could it hurt??

Not necessarily saying they were wrong about Rettig but LSU coach and Flood were both fired...doesn't say too much for them, does it? In fact, Miles was fired for being incompetent on his decision making and use of personnel on offense according to ESPN. As for our current staff, we have scored 7 points in three weeks and lost 78-0 a few days ago...so right now I am not thinking much of what they have done so far.

Don't take that the wrong way, because the next 6 weeks can and hopefully will change my opinion. But as of right now, we look very Terry Shea-esque as a team.

The LSU coach also won a National Championship.

This is such a joke....Rettig didn't transfer from LSU because he was a stud QB who wanted to bring his talents to the east coast - like a lot of stud transfers they are damaged goods in some way or another. Also, like thousands of others athletes who were studs in high school - what was dominating on a HS level just didn't transfer on a college level - see Savon Huggins. Rettig = great arm, not a D1 QB! It is what it is - end of story - move on!

This is such a joke....Rettig didn't transfer from LSU because he was a stud QB who wanted to bring his talents to the east coast - like a lot of stud transfers they are damaged goods in some way or another. Also, like thousands of others athletes who were studs in high school - what was dominating on a HS level just didn't transfer on a college level - see Savon Huggins. Rettig = great arm, not a D1 QB! It is what it is - end of story - move on!
By this logic, why did we play a TCU transfer?

Reactions: rutgers4life11
The offense has been unable to produce six first downs let alone six points. When first downs become as rare as oxygen at the peak of Everest, you need to exhaust every option. Let Rettig play, hell let the scout team QB play. Anything is better than what we witnessed in the last few weeks. I would even cheer for a huddle right about now.

By this logic, why did we play a TCU transfer?

Not sure what you're talking about - my point is there is a laundry list of transfers who were highly regarded in HS, but things don't work out for them in college. This is why they transfer - because they figure it's the program and not them - truth comes out in the wash though. I'm not saying you don't take a chance on transfers or that all transfers don't work out, but a lot of times the devil is in the details as to why they are transferring.

Not sure what you're talking about - my point is there is a laundry list of transfers who were highly regarded in HS, but things don't work out for them in college. This is why they transfer - because they figure it's the program and not them - truth comes out in the wash though. I'm not saying you don't take a chance on transfers or that all transfers don't work out, but a lot of times the devil is in the details as to why they are transferring.
I think one thing you are not considering is this quote from ESPN on Miles and the same can be said for us:

were never able to develop a quarterback out of high school

If a QB has a cannon arm but cannot read defenses, is it not the coaching staff's job to develop him? 15 years of going to these games and the only season I saw some development in one of our QBs was under Friedgen.

Oh good. Yet another wishful thinking QB thread.

Rettig could be the best QB in CFB and he would've had horrible games against OSU and Michigan. It was rare that our QBs had enough time to throw. It was rare that our WRs were getting open against press coverage. It was not unusual at all for our QBs to either get hit or sacked on passing plays which eventually takes any QB off his game.

Combine those three things above and the passing game is just not happening.

In the first three games, Laviano was much too inconsistent throwing the ball (and in the first two games, ball security was an issue). But in the past couple games, Laviano actually did throw a couple really nice deep balls. One hit our WR in the hands in stride over tight coverage and the WR dropped it. Another, in the first quarter against Michigan, the ball was awfully close to perfectly thrown but our WR was clearly interfered with.

Oden and Allen have not demonstrated that they can deliver a good long ball (or really, a good short ball) in games yet. I wish they did - I wish they lit it up. But wishes don't make it so.

I trust the coaching staff to choose a starting QB more wisely than a frustrated fan base looking for simplistic answers. And I trust the coaching staff when they choose not to play a QB.

Why don't all you QB dreamers spend more time insisting that the offensive linemen and WRs on the bench play? Why is it always the QB with you guys?

Reactions: kupuna133
I haven't said one word about playing Rettig.
I have said when he makes an NFL roster and can suddenly grasp a playbook much more difficult than ours, I hope we all root for him.
I'm rooting for Rettig every day. I want Rettig to do whatever it takes to prove the coaching staff that he should be on the field. Because that would mean he's better than all the other QBs and we need better play at the QB position.

I'm not arguing against any QB having success. I want them all to be great. I'm arguing against the constant barrage of negativity towards whatever QB it is that actually plays in games for us.

Thanks for quoting me. I'm honored.

It's the same old theme....We're fans, give us what we want. show us what he can do, just give him a chance, the coaches are just too stubborn, blah, blah, blah.

It's as if you think he'll come in and magically the blocking will allow the QB to stand there and have all the time in the world to throw deep. That the WR's will all of a sudden be able to get open, and IF those things happen he, above all others, will be able to hit them.

Now you're calling for a change of offense in the middle of the year? Let's be real here. It's not a "slightly different tack". Maybe RU should petition the B1G for break in the schedule so they can take the time to make the changes?

Right now Rutgers doesn't have the horses to compete against the top teams in the country. It's been really hard to watch. I've never felt as disheartened as I do today. But it's just that simple.

Ash is going with the QB's that he sees performing the best when none of us are around. He's going to sink or swim in the future based on decisions he made last December. He's set his recruiting and has received commits based on it. It's not going to change.

Reactions: mildone
I'm rooting for Rettig every day. I want Rettig to do whatever it takes to prove the coaching staff that he should be on the field. Because that would mean he's better than all the other QBs and we need better play at the QB position.

I'm not arguing against any QB having success. I want them all to be great. I'm arguing against the constant barrage of negativity towards whatever QB it is that actually plays in games for us.
I am just rooting for two consecutive first downs. Whoever can achieve that right now is worthy of praise.

I am just rooting for two consecutive first downs. Whoever can achieve that right now is worthy of praise.
Pretty sure you'll see that Saturday. I also think that while we may not win many more games, if any, that you'll see improved play at most positions as the season progresses. Although you might have to do what I do and rewatch the games to notice the progress.

When I watch live, my emotions cloud my observations, plus I tend to follow the ball so I don't see what's happening in other areas of the field. When I rewatch, I can stop and review stuff, and can be more analytical and less emotional and I pick up all kinds of stuff I missed in the first viewing.

The team progressed visibly from the first quarter against Washington through the end of the first quarter against OSU, with some ebb and flow typical to most games. After that, things were hit and miss w/the defense and the offense showed nothing at all (which sucked, but it was against two incredibly talented and well-coached teams).

This weekend's game will be about the players' resilience and mental toughness, and about our injury status. We started the season very thin at most positions other than RB. We then proceeded to get key injuries to some of our best players. With no depth, those injuries hurts more than it should.

But I think if the remaining players are reasonably healthy for the game, if we get back at least one of the injured safeties, and if the players heads are in a good place (a big question mark), that we will see very imperfect, but much improved play - a continuation of what we saw before the second quarter against OSU. Can't say that we'll win. But I think we'll get plenty of first downs and at least a couple touchdowns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT