ADVERTISEMENT

The value of the coaching changes

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I have always felt that a strong eastern corridor in college basketball shines a national light on the region and can only help Rutgers. The Post and the Daily News will never exclusively focus on Rutgers,but with a healthy St John's and a reinvigorated Georgetown the entire region gains relevance once again in tandem with the Princeton,FDU and St Peter's runs. Can you visualize an AP Top 25 in 2 years dotted with Rutgers,St John's,UConn, Georgetown and yes Nova because Kyle Neptune has loads of street credibility in recruiting. The east dominated in the 60's,70's and 80's and that can or might happen again.Rutgers can't be viewed in a vacuum or solely in a Big Ten prism,but instead a potentially key cog in a rich region. I intentionally left out Syracuse and BC because they are and should remain in no man's land and Seton Hall as well, because they could be moved down the pecking order with St John's and Georgetown on the move upwards.It's exciting times.

I think it would only be a collective good thing if all those teams were in the same conference. As of now, what you are describing is good for the Big East, not for Rutgers and the big ten.

I don’t buy into a national perception based on geography. Nobody cares about geography anymore. It’s all about conference affiliation (in regards to perception / reputation of relevance)

I think it would only be a collective good thing if all those teams were in the same conference. As of now, what you are describing is good for the Big East, not for Rutgers and the big ten.

I don’t buy into a national perception based on geography. Nobody cares about geography anymore. It’s all about conference affiliation (in regards to perception / reputation of relevance)
National TV and media all but ended the regional importance. Don’t see any way local teams in a different conference being better helps us.

I have always felt that a strong eastern corridor in college basketball shines a national light on the region and can only help Rutgers. The Post and the Daily News will never exclusively focus on Rutgers,but with a healthy St John's and a reinvigorated Georgetown the entire region gains relevance once again in tandem with the Princeton,FDU and St Peter's runs. Can you visualize an AP Top 25 in 2 years dotted with Rutgers,St John's,UConn, Georgetown and yes Nova because Kyle Neptune has loads of street credibility in recruiting. The east dominated in the 60's,70's and 80's and that can or might happen again.Rutgers can't be viewed in a vacuum or solely in a Big Ten prism,but instead a potentially key cog in a rich region. I intentionally left out Syracuse and BC because they are and should remain in no man's land and Seton Hall as well, because they could be moved down the pecking order with St John's and Georgetown on the move upwards.It's exciting times.
I'm not sure Neptune is the best fit for 'Nova from what I'm hearing.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I dont see how having those schools good helps RU when we are competing for them for local recruits and are not even in the same conferences anymore

these coaching changes help the Big East
I am with BAC...this is a net negative or neutral. Not a positive.

I am having a real tough time seeing how being in the daily News, playing in MSG, or being on channel 2 helps us win more games.

I agree with the dissenters. Richard is very hooked in but this season seemed like our chance to become a dominant power in the northeast. Nova John’s gt all down. That’s what’s good for us in my opinion. I understand that people long for the big east days of old. I couldn’t care less

I dont see how having those schools good helps RU when we are competing for them for local recruits and are not even in the same conferences anymore

these coaching changes help the Big East
He's living way , way in the past. It's delusional. The conference status of the BIG is what now identifys RU athletically and academically. In any event the BigEast and our northeast region did little for our status as major university . Thank God we are where we are.

He's living way , way in the past. It's delusional. The conference status of the BIG is what now identifys RU athletically and academically. In any event the BigEast and our northeast region did little for our status as major university . Thank God we are where we are.
RU66 always seems down on RU72. Is it some kind of "similar handle" rivalry ?

I'll be honest, I never care much for "RU by the shore" "RU Shore" etc -

Agreed and if anything it hurts us! All the NY media and print will all be focused on Pitno and St. John’s. We are second fiddle

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
As others have said, all the schools you mentioned will be playing each other 2x a year - home and home - and then play in the same conference tournament at MSG... except Rutgers, who will rarely play any of them. Even SHU, despite the obviously tough competition, could benefit from all the games they play against that group.

It doesn't mean Rutgers can't be successful on their own, but I don't see anyone really associating them with that group simply because they don't directly compete with them.

Yeah, I don't want Villanova, UConn, Georgetown, St. John's and SHU to all be good at the same time. All that does is make the Big East more desired by local recruits and indirectly could hurt Rutgers' recruiting efforts.
Few,if any metro or DMV kids are going to Maryland or Rutgers in basketball because of the Big Ten. I go to the NERR and other AAU events religiously and if you polled the kids in the aggregate, the majority would have no clue that Rutgers was in the Big Ten or what the Big Ten Network was. No kid is going to Creighton, either because they are in the Big East. The Big Ten has enhanced the athletic and academic profile of Rutgers, but most local kids want an excuse to stay home and an enhanced profile of eastern basketball as a whole, with the attendant local media attention benefits everyone who is local. I could make a cogent argument that the FDU and Princeton wins will in the short run be very beneficial to Rutgers basketball, because the spotlight is now shone brightly on basketball in NJ. Certain football recruits are being sold by Greg on playing against Michigan and Ohio State. That is not nearly the case in basketball. You are only getting a couple of kids anyway and the overall recognition of quality local programs benefits everyone. I don't agree in basketball circles or recruiting that conference identity is nearly as significant as many hypothesize. Kids are choosing Rutgers because of Steve,his staff and the shiny new practice facility. Kids will choose St John's because of Pitino and MSG,not because of the Big East identity.

Last edited:
It helps winning National Championships when you have players like Lou Alcindor and Bill Walton.
Good question for argument- which one of those two was the greatest college player ever? ( I guess we need other names like Russell, Laetner, etc but those two could be argued. )

Reactions: shields
Agreed. Get NYC to fall in love with college basketball again and it can only be a positive. The NIL potential in NYC dwarfs what Texas A&M alumni are capable of. It hasn’t been even remotely tapped yet.

Few,if any metro or DMV kids are going to Maryland or Rutgers in basketball because of the Big Ten. I go to the NERR events religiously and if you polled the kids in the aggregate, the majority would have no clue that Rutgers was in the Big Ten or what the Big Ten Network was. No kid is going to Creighton, either because they are in the Big East. The Big Ten has enhanced the athletic and academic profile of Rutgers, but most local kids want an excuse to stay home and an enhanced profile of eastern basketball as a whole, with the attendant local media attention benefits everyone who is local. I could make a cogent argument that the FDU and Princeton wins will in the short run be very beneficial to Rutgers basketball, because the spotlight is now shone brightly on basketball in NJ. Certain football recruits are being sold by Greg on playing against Michigan and Ohio State. That is not nearly the case in basketball. You are only getting a couple of kids anyway and the overall recognition of quality local programs benefits everyone. I don't agree in basketball circles or recruiting that conference identity is nearly as significant as many hypothesize. Kids are choosing Rutgers because of Steve,his staff and the shiny new facility. Kids will choose St John's because of Pitino and MSG,not because of the Big East identity.
You're speaking in riddles. When did the "enhanced profile" of eastern basketball in the good old days ever inure to RU? And you just said kids chose a school because of the coach and shiney new facilities. I don’t care where you spend your time but kids don't know about the BigTen?? Do they not know who's in the ACC or the Ivies? I'm sure when recruited they'll be told.

It helps winning National Championships when you have players like Lou Alcindor and Bill Walton.
I seem to remember that St Johns just missed getting Alcindor
Would have changed the history of college basketball

Well now they have a sexual degenerate and cheater for a coach, although at 70 years old I doubt he'll be scaring very many coeds.

As others have said, all the schools you mentioned will be playing each other 2x a year - home and home - and then play in the same conference tournament at MSG... except Rutgers, who will rarely play any of them. Even SHU, despite the obviously tough competition, could benefit from all the games they play against that group.

It doesn't mean Rutgers can't be successful on their own, but I don't see anyone really associating them with that group simply because they don't directly compete with them.
Odds are all the regional teams won’t be good at the same time. So if St. John’s gets a lot better it will most likely be at another teams expense. A team that recruits NYC heavily. That could be Providence or Syracuse. Someone (maybe more than 1) will take a step backwards.

I like the part about leaving Syracuse out in the cold

St John's hiring Pitino is not offsetting Nova losing Jay Wright to retirement. Cooley to the Hoyas helps GTown, but is also a net negative, unless Providence stays in that 18 to 19 win range. Otherwise, the short term is a net negative for the Big East on the court.

It may take 2 seasons to see any real improvements with GTown and Pitino will need at least 2 years to sort out St John's, but they should be over .500. Mike Anderson was over .500 all 4 seasons, so it's not like they're starting from scratch.

The short term schools taking a potential hit are Providence and Seton Hall with Villanova as a huge TBD. The Big East is in a transition phase, Pitino and Cooley from an image perspective, is a huge win. I don't see the league getting more than 5 bids anytime soon.

• Haha
Reactions: STLPirate12
Nope it's not.
Well it’s certainly something because your negative responses to anything and everything he posts is over the top and annoying. I/we don’t really care if you dislike him for whatever reason…….shit……..just put him on ignore

Well it’s certainly something because your negative responses to anything and everything he posts is over the top and annoying. I/we don’t really care if you dislike him for whatever reason…….shit……..just put him on ignore
And why must I listen to you?? My opinion is as worthless as his . And who are you??

Reactions: hinson32
Rutgers just needs to win!

It doesn’t do squat for us and never will . Those teams are basically in an entirely different conference together and good for them. We are fortunate to be where we are , in the B1G , especially with the academic and and athletic teams it possesses. Let’s see if coach Pike can restock this squad in 2023-2024.

You can say that and people do all the time. But think about this: Patrick Ewing won 1 national championship. He was one of the most dominant centers in college history. Olajuwan, with Drexler, did not win. Ralph Sampson was one of the most dominant centers in college history. He did not win. The list goes on.

And by the way, four of those 10 championships were without Walton or Alcindor.

Few,if any metro or DMV kids are going to Maryland or Rutgers in basketball because of the Big Ten. I go to the NERR and other AAU events religiously and if you polled the kids in the aggregate, the majority would have no clue that Rutgers was in the Big Ten or what the Big Ten Network was. No kid is going to Creighton, either because they are in the Big East. The Big Ten has enhanced the athletic and academic profile of Rutgers, but most local kids want an excuse to stay home and an enhanced profile of eastern basketball as a whole, with the attendant local media attention benefits everyone who is local. I could make a cogent argument that the FDU and Princeton wins will in the short run be very beneficial to Rutgers basketball, because the spotlight is now shone brightly on basketball in NJ. Certain football recruits are being sold by Greg on playing against Michigan and Ohio State. That is not nearly the case in basketball. You are only getting a couple of kids anyway and the overall recognition of quality local programs benefits everyone. I don't agree in basketball circles or recruiting that conference identity is nearly as significant as many hypothesize. Kids are choosing Rutgers because of Steve,his staff and the shiny new practice facility. Kids will choose St John's because of Pitino and MSG,not because of the Big East identity.
Okay, forget about the conference affiliations. I don’t want five local, historically good programs good at the same time. That will undoubtedly impact Rutgers recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT