ADVERTISEMENT

This Is So Depressing

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
I can't imagine what it must be like for you guys back home. I watched Army/MTSU, then SMU/Texas St. now Arkansas St/ Memphis. I just can't believe that these schools and conferences have the resources available for them to play but the B1G 10 doesn't? The AAC can pull this off but we can't? The kids on the field could care less if there are few if any people in the stands they're pumped !
From what I've seen the weather is beautiful in Piscataway today and if the football gods wanted to smack me in the face more it's great tailgating weather (82 degrees, sunshine, low humidity) in Bangkok today.
I didn't think it would hurt so much but man it does.

Last edited:
A postponed (and, likely, cancelled) season sucks. But, a major reason why the B1G isn't playing now is precisely because the conference DOES have the resources to suspend play to protect the health and safety of the student-athletes, staff and fans of its member institutions. Even the ACC, B12 and SEC aren't playing, yet. The AAC and Sun Belt schools are out there because they can't afford to not play.

I can't imagine what it must be like for you guys back home. I watched Army/MTSU, then SMU/Texas St. now Arkansas St/ Memphis. I just can't believe that these schools and conferences have the resources available for them to play but the B1G 10 doesn't? The AAC can pull this off but we can't? The kids on the field could care less if there are few if any people in the stands they're pumped !
From what I've seen the weather is beautiful in Piscataway today and if the football gods wanted to smack me in the face more it's great tailgating weather (82 degrees, sunshine, low humidity) in Bangkok today.
I didn't think it would hurt so much but man it does.
I’m watching Houston Baptist V North Texas right now. HB whole football budget is probably less than we pay our staff. Yet they can figure it out.

It's all politics.
It’s all that football toxic hyper masculinity...the Covid hates it and is drawn to it...just in the same way that it stays away from SJW protests...because chinas Covid is NOT racist! 😎

Who ever said Black Lives DONT matter? The black players in the BIG 10 are getting hurt worse than what any virtue signalers do from their lofty academic perches. The power struggle used to be, should these kids get paid.Norwestern, probably home to the richest college football players' families, wanted some dough for those who weren't . Good cause. Then get paid for having your name on a T-shirt. Now your'e going to keep some of these poor kids off the field cuz a small % get sick? Testing positive? Sit down. Testing negative? Fulfill your scholarship promises and give the folks some thrills. Ain't that Americuh?

The BIG and PAC are sitting back waiting to see what mistakes are made by the first movers to learn from it and then move forward.

GO RU

Reactions: bossnj1
I’m watching Houston Baptist V North Texas right now. HB whole football budget is probably less than we pay our staff. Yet they can figure it out.
They haven't figured anything out. They're just willing to wager the health of their players, staff and communities against the consequences of postponement. The B1G is privileged to have the option to learn from the successes and failures of the schools and conferences that have no safety net. If all goes well with the Sun Belt schools, we can start play in November. But, if all hell beaks loose, with play cancelled mid-season; research indicating that COVID-related myocarditis is a long-term concern for athletes; coaches, family members or even players dying; or, whatever else, the B1G won't be dealing with the fall-out. I'd rather be Rutgers than Houston Baptist.

They haven't figured anything out. They're just willing to wager the health of their players, staff and communities against the consequences of postponement. The B1G is privileged to have the option to learn from the successes and failures of the schools and conferences that have no safety net. If all goes well with the Sun Belt schools, we can start play in November. But, if all hell beaks loose, with play cancelled mid-season; research indicating that COVID-related myocarditis is a long-term concern for athletes; coaches, family members or even players dying; or, whatever else, the B1G won't be dealing with the fall-out. I'd rather be Rutgers than Houston Baptist.
Ok. Extra testing and playing football discovered a non COVID related heart issue for an Ark state player. So playing football has saved one life vs.....

Reactions: King of S
The BIG and PAC are sitting back waiting to see what mistakes are made by the first movers to learn from it and then move forward.

GO RU
The MLS is in its second season already. Many golf tourneys, two pro lacrosse leagues, NHL, NBA, high school football, Euro soccer leagues, WNBA. Women’s pro soccer league...all figured it out. But the mighty B1G couldn’t.

Ok. Extra testing and playing football discovered a non COVID related heart issue for an Ark state player. So playing football has saved one life vs.....
. . . not playing, which, for starters, could spare, up to 1/3 of all B1G student athletes who contract COVID from the associated unknown, long-term consequences of immediate inflamed hearts. Penn State's team doctor has publicly raised this exact concern. Either way, we're not going to change minds. With all complicated questions, it goes without saying that there won't be easy answers. I'm seldom on TKR any more and won't respond, but wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone

. . . not playing, which, for starters, could spare, up to 1/3 of all B1G student athletes who contract COVID from the associated unknown, long-term consequences of immediate inflamed hearts. Penn State's team doctor has publicly raised this exact concern. Either way, we're not going to change minds. With all complicated questions, it goes without saying that there won't be easy answers. I'm seldom on TKR any more and won't respond, but wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone
The PSU physician (who is an Orthopedist!!) has already walked back those claims.

Sent from my iPhone
Well that Dr was full of crap so....

Like someone said above, it comes down to money. The Big Ten can afford to play it even safer. The football TV contract funds the entire athletics department at most CUSA schools. If Rutgers plays in a postponed season or even cancelled, it won’t bankrupt the university or at least athletic department. The same might not be able to be said for University of North Texas

A postponed (and, likely, cancelled) season sucks. But, a major reason why the B1G isn't playing now is precisely because the conference DOES have the resources to suspend play to protect the health and safety of the student-athletes, staff and fans of its member institutions. Even the ACC, B12 and SEC aren't playing, yet. The AAC and Sun Belt schools are out there because they can't afford to not play.
The B1G money does make it a little easier to take the cautious road. Do we know what the $$$ loss will be via TV revenue? Does the network take a hard stance and pull back a ton of the money or do they weigh options and come up with a win/win as not only has a lot of money already been made but a lot of money is still on the table for future years. I don't know what is happening with the TV money so curious if anyone has heard anything or is there anything offical?

The B1G isn’t earning money if they don’t play. If they had some endless money well, Iowa wouldn’t have just cut 4 sports.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
The BIG already has some, most or all of the tv money for this season and if they don’t perform their contractual duty it will have to give back that money. What are the chances that a conference wants to return money back to the networks? Very slim.

James Kratch did a recent interview with a well known and respected corporate attorney in the sports franchise world [I actually know him as well] who breaks down the dynamics of media contract obligations for the BIG conference and revenue sports commitments with networks in general. Solid interview by Kratch and very informative.

Kratch piece:

Conferences want to receive and not give back. The BIG and PAC will perform at some point.

GO RU

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Huh? That makes no sense, if that is the case then why did the MAC decide not to play. The AAC is playing, HS programs are playing, pee wee football associations are playing because they are not letting politics take precedence over science.

Christ almighty, shut off CNN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT