ADVERTISEMENT

This one’s on Kirk

Ash_Hole

Junior
Sep 8, 2019
I have long supported Kirk — and still do. And still feel that he has greatly improved our O, especially OL.

But what the hell were you thinking man?

OSU could not stop our run game. Kyle averaged 6.6 yards per carry. Gavin even at 3.8 yards per carry.

We didn’t need to get cute

1st and goal from the 9 in 4 down territory — why are we throwing multiple times?

Then later, when we need to get a 1st on 4th and 2 to get gaming going, we’re lobbing a 30 yard pass into triple coverage?? Game over.

And without the ridiculous play call of Wimsatt’s pick six INT to Kyle — it very well could have been a different game

When Rutgers was beating top ranked teams in 2005-2007, Ray Rice ran the ball over 30 times. Twice even at 39 carries!

In this game, Kyle needed more than 24 carries.

We have an elite RB and (surprisingly) elite OL — put it in Kyle’s hands and freaking beat PSU, Iowa and Maryland!

Totally disagree. It was a well-coached game. In some ways, coaching kept us in the game.

The hindsight-driven armchair coaches will rant, as they do after every loss. But they really have no clue what they’re talking about, as usual.

That being said OSU is the #1 defense in the country and our OLine handled them really well. OSU also holding teams to 10 points a game.

Honestly just a few plays by Gavin which he has to make and we may have won that game.
This.
To the Gavin sucks crowd take a hike.
He is still learning..once his decision making process improves we will beat Top 25 teams. The Staff however needs to correct his staring down one WR and not looking for a 2nd option. That has hampered our Offense tremendously this season.

Kansas State just ran the same play. If Gavin could do anything else when he sees his first read is covered, it's different story.
Great playcalling is knowing your personnel

For example, Gleeson wasting Pacheco and doing committee — while the armchair coaches like myself were screaming to the sidelines that he was an NFL RB

Kyle is special, Ray Rice special. Why is Kirk trying to let an inconsistent (albeit talented) QB win the game?

How many of us really don’t think Kyle couldn’t find a way to convert that last 4th & 2? Odds certainly better than the broken garbage lob pass we saw

Totally disagree. It was a well-coached game. In some ways, coaching kept us in the game.

The hindsight-driven armchair coaches will rant, as they do after every loss. But they really have no clue what they’re talking about, as usual.
Which elements of the OP do you disagree with? He’s being very specific and you’re being very unspecific.

Greg hasn't had a grood red zone offense since he's been here.
The OC doesn't matter - great chances for TDs often become FGs.
The OL and Mongo were pushing Ohio up and down the field
Then we take a QB prone to vertical overthrows and have him throw into tight end zone corners with small WRs.

I felt like I was watching Pete Carroll ignoring Beast Mode on goal in Super bowl.

2007!!!

"The individual offensive numbers look like something from a video game. Rutgers will likely finish this season with two 1,000-yard receivers for the first time in school history, with a 3,000-yard passer and, most likely, with a 1,600-yard rusher.

Yet there were the Knights, settling for five field goal tries in six red zone trips against Connecticut on Saturday (making four) while managing just one touchdown. The total offense wound up as 511 yards that game. The number of offensive touchdowns in the 38-19 loss? One.

"It's not all about stats. It's about being efficient," said quarterback Mike Teel, who gave his sore right thumb a rest while working on a limited basis at practice yesterday. "We had 500 yards of offense and we scored one touchdown. That's not going to get it done."

RU finished with 232 yds rushing (Ohio 139) but no TDs because we ignored RU's Beast Mode went sandlot. Gavin Himself should have been running more.

I remember RU was falling behind MSU because it abandoned the run
RU made a comeback because it went back to the run
I cant blame any players for today
Greg's. Red. Zone.Sucks
Always has

Reactions: Ash_Hole
End of 1st half I think we lost an opportunity.

When Lanagan got that first down at the 4 we had one time out left and we used it.

I think we should have lined up and run a Monangai running play.. no subs, no huddle.. just snap it and go once refs marked the ball and started the clock. We would have hurried OSU and kept their pass D in without teh goal line D.

Then, if we did not score from teh 4, then we have another choice.. line up and snap it and run again.. and call timeout afterward for teh FG try on 3rd down.. would have kept their goal line D on the bench.

OR.. we could have called teh timeout on 2nd down and had 2 passes into the end zone and if they failed we go with FG try with clocked stopped for incomplete pass.

Instead.. what we did.. was waste last time out, then try 2 passes and kick the FG on 3rd down.

Lost opportunity. Of course, all that is ideal.. I was not in the stadium nor on the field.. I have no idea if the team was ready to run up and snap it or clock it... if they were not.. then that's poor prep in practice but in that moment.. a time out was necessary... and possibly only necessary because we wasted so much time before that.. not wanting to leave OSU any time.. calling plays "scared".

As for Gavin... I have to say. he's losing me. If we had a passing QB who could not run it... I see us winning this game. Gavin is just too inaccurate. I hope he can fix that for next year... but, damn. So many lost opportunities. If he is a running QB.. then lets see him keep those legs moving instead of just leaning forward at first contact. Let's see him take the ball outside maybe 1/3rd of the time instead of 3 times this season.

I think Monangai and Longerbeam and maybe Melton may have all earned $1M today by having NFL-caliber opposition and playing well. All should end up with NFL contracts at some point and they all answered how they would do against top competition. Of course, there are many more steps to this.. staying healthy, good combines show.. good interviews. And they have the Iowa and PSU games ahead to solidify their images.

Last edited:
This one is on OSU having a few more elite players that made plays on offense.

They didn't beat us in the trenches. They didn't out physical us. In the past tackling these guys, they would fall forward. Now our tacklers drive them backwards.

Gotta hand it to strength and conditioning.

This.
To the Gavin sucks crowd take a hike.
He is still learning..once his decision making process improves we will beat Top 25 teams. The Staff however needs to correct his staring down one WR and not looking for a 2nd option. That has hampered our Offense tremendously this season.
haha.. let me slam those who criticize Gavin.. then criticize Gavin but blame the coaches.

too funny

How many of us really don’t think Kyle couldn’t find a way to convert that last 4th & 2? Odds certainly better than the broken garbage lob pass we saw
An aside to this is that if Gavin is in there for his legs.. RUN HIM. If Monangai is hammering them.. then allow Wimsatt to run off that and take it outside while Monangai goes elsewhere.

I get it, the numbers game of having Wimsatt follow Monagai or some other lead-blocker RB into the hole.. but if Wimsatt kept it on a bootleg more often then giving it to Monangai would mean one fewer DE or LB crashing down to tackle him... because they will be worried about Wimsatt keeping.

As it is, all the defense need worry is if this is the one play ever 2-3 games where Wimsatt might keep it. And, sorry, but that does nothing but maybe allow for one good running paly by him every 2-3 games. I'd rather have teh threat of him keeping it add yards to every Monangai run.

This ain't rocket science.. this is pretty common to college football. Why aren't we doing it?

I have to disagree. When close to the end zone the defenders do not have to back up to defend receivers. They are all bunched up in the middle making it very difficult to run the ball. A team like OSU forces the offense to throw the ball when in the red zone.

Reactions: TRU2RU
have not read everything but I have two thoughts based on his play calling and not just this game- GW has 3 P6's and all three, if we ran and got even a minimum of a FG- we are withing a single score on at least 2 of the 3 games.

Why we feel the need to do anything but run 3 times when 1st and Goal- is asinine. On the other hand- for almost everything but those 3 pick 6's- the play calling has been very tight.

Once we got in to the red zone the offense was screwed today. Everything gets compressed, our WR couldn’t get separation and running becomes so much harder. Call was fine but when he wasn’t wide open it should have been thrown away. Even a decent throw just gets the RB killed

I have to disagree. When close to the end zone the defenders do not have to back up to defend receivers. They are all bunched up in the middle making it very difficult to run the ball. A team like OSU forces the offense to throw the ball when in the red zone.
Then you roll out the QB who is perceived as a run threat and make DBs and LBs make a choice.

If you look at it in reverse, when Rutgers is defending in the red zone, it seems like the other team's offense is calling all the wrong plays. Not including the strong teams with huge fast linemen who can move the pile, those teams can still pound it in.

Reactions: JCin128
The 4th down late in the game wasn't a very good play. It being 4th down Wimsatt was going to throw it whether the receiver was open or not, which was the right thing to do. No use throwing the ball away on 4th down.

Exactly right. He didn’t see that safety? He’s just not very bright
That safety didn't make a play on teh ball.. he had to take teh man.. illegal hit on that btw... there was room for that toss.. he tossed it too far, too high.. and still.. the safety did not get there in time to play the ball.. there was room

An aside to this is that if Gavin is in there for his legs.. RUN HIM. If Monangai is hammering them.. then allow Wimsatt to run off that and take it outside while Monangai goes elsewhere.

I get it, the numbers game of having Wimsatt follow Monagai or some other lead-blocker RB into the hole.. but if Wimsatt kept it on a bootleg more often then giving it to Monangai would mean one fewer DE or LB crashing down to tackle him... because they will be worried about Wimsatt keeping.

As it is, all the defense need worry is if this is the one play ever 2-3 games where Wimsatt might keep it. And, sorry, but that does nothing but maybe allow for one good running paly by him every 2-3 games. I'd rather have teh threat of him keeping it add yards to every Monangai run.

This ain't rocket science.. this is pretty common to college football. Why aren't we doing it?
It probably isn't being taught. If it is being taught, it isn't being called in games. A true zone read would be very effective.

That being said OSU is the #1 defense in the country and our OLine handled them really well. OSU also holding teams to 10 points a game.

Honestly just a few plays by Gavin which he has to make and we may have won that game.
He hits a wide open dremel down the sideline it is 1-10 at the OSU 20 if not a TD.

But yeah 10 for 25 for the QB with the lowest completion % in D1 is not our problem….

Gavin is taking to long to develop and it hurts.
But he's the best we got right now and his being in the starter give RU it's best chance to win
He was good enought to make bowl eligibility so I'll not knock Gavin , but mosrly his play doesn't deserve the type of praise that makes me think he deserves to be given the starters job next year.
Wimstatt need to use the rest of season to overcome his flaws and learn to make the most of his talent in order to be considered the starter going into spring practice.

Rutgers is showing itself to be a program on the rise, but it needs a good QB for it to be
a team that can beat the best and not just stay close most of the game.

Wimsatt has to work on his accuracy. He shows he can be accurate as in the 2nd half. And he is a lot more accurate against weaker teams. We have to be patient.

Reactions: Morrischiano
It probably isn't being taught. If it is being taught, it isn't being called in games. A true zone read would be very effective.
Ahh.. remember those early games and talk of "the mesh" handoffs? that was our attempt at a true zone read, I think. And it slowed everything down and looked like confusion in the backfield as to who was going to keep the ball.

I think we clearly have chosen to get away from that and allow KM to run it most often.. a wise decision. BUT.. all we need do is start calling bootlegs off a fake to Monagai and call it once we see the D cheating to stop Monangai. Wimsatt ran that once this game.. decent gainer iirc... and had a TD last game on it. Call it more often! I bet it would work as the first play of the game as well... normally I like play-action pass for that, given our rep as a running team.. but the bootleg might go big as well.

And where are those swing passes to Brown and Benjamin that we saw vs Temple? They work too well or something?

And without the ridiculous play call of Wimsatt’s pick six INT to Kyle — it very well could have been a different game
When your QB can't hit a 5 yd. pop pass, you've got problems.

The 4th down late in the game wasn't a very good play. It being 4th down Wimsatt was going to throw it whether the receiver was open or not, which was the right thing to do. No use throwing the ball away on 4th down.
Pull it down and run. Zero chance Dremel makes that catch

Reactions: Pils86
It’s just insane to think we run 90% of the time but when we get 1st down in red zone 3 times than we go pass heavy

Reactions: goru7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT