ADVERTISEMENT

This one’s on Kirk

End of 1st half I think we lost an opportunity.

When Lanagan got that first down at the 4 we had one time out left and we used it.

I think we should have lined up and run a Monangai running play.. no subs, no huddle.. just snap it and go once refs marked the ball and started the clock. We would have hurried OSU and kept their pass D in without teh goal line D.

Then, if we did not score from teh 4, then we have another choice.. line up and snap it and run again.. and call timeout afterward for teh FG try on 3rd down.. would have kept their goal line D on the bench.

OR.. we could have called teh timeout on 2nd down and had 2 passes into the end zone and if they failed we go with FG try with clocked stopped for incomplete pass.

Instead.. what we did.. was waste last time out, then try 2 passes and kick the FG on 3rd down.

Lost opportunity. Of course, all that is ideal.. I was not in the stadium nor on the field.. I have no idea if the team was ready to run up and snap it or clock it... if they were not.. then that's poor prep in practice but in that moment.. a time out was necessary... and possibly only necessary because we wasted so much time before that.. not wanting to leave OSU any time.. calling plays "scared".

As for Gavin... I have to say. he's losing me. If we had a passing QB who could not run it... I see us winning this game. Gavin is just too inaccurate. I hope he can fix that for next year... but, damn. So many lost opportunities. If he is a running QB.. then lets see him keep those legs moving instead of just leaning forward at first contact. Let's see him take the ball outside maybe 1/3rd of the time instead of 3 times this season.

I think Monangai and Longerbeam and maybe Melton may have all earned $1M today by having NFL-caliber opposition and playing well. All should end up with NFL contracts at some point and they all answered how they would do against top competition. Of course, there are many more steps to this.. staying healthy, good combines show.. good interviews. And they have the Iowa and PSU games ahead to solidify their images.
I like running tempo like that especially in short yardage or goal line like you mention but if it’s not something you do all that often, it’s not second nature to think in that way .

Reactions: ILikePike
I have long supported Kirk — and still do. And still feel that he has greatly improved our O, especially OL.

But what the hell were you thinking man?

OSU could not stop our run game. Kyle averaged 6.6 yards per carry. Gavin even at 3.8 yards per carry.

We didn’t need to get cute

1st and goal from the 9 in 4 down territory — why are we throwing multiple times?

Then later, when we need to get a 1st on 4th and 2 to get gaming going, we’re lobbing a 30 yard pass into triple coverage?? Game over.

And without the ridiculous play call of Wimsatt’s pick six INT to Kyle — it very well could have been a different game

When Rutgers was beating top ranked teams in 2005-2007, Ray Rice ran the ball over 30 times. Twice even at 39 carries!

In this game, Kyle needed more than 24 carries.

We have an elite RB and (surprisingly) elite OL — put it in Kyle’s hands and freaking beat PSU, Iowa and Maryland!
Need to have a QB that doesn't go 10-25; he's almost less than 50% completion rate for the season, that's unexceptible, but it's what we have right now, and we have to go with it. QB needs to be a bit more competant throwing the ball and we win this game. But ultimately, very proud of our team today.

Once we got in to the red zone the offense was screwed today. Everything gets compressed, our WR couldn’t get separation and running becomes so much harder. Call was fine but when he wasn’t wide open it should have been thrown away. Even a decent throw just gets the RB killed
Should have kept running the ball. Monangai and the OL were pounding them at that point. I thought the play call was trying to get unnecessarily cute.

I like running tempo like that especially in short yardage or goal line like you mention but if it’s not something you do all that often, it’s not second nature to think in that way .

I'd like to see a couple changes in rules.. one involving tempo and subs.

- once the offense is done subbing, the defense has 10 seconds to FINISH their sub. If the offense hurries to make a sub..say, with 20 seconds left ton the 25 second play clock... then the official stopping a snap can only stop a snap for 10 seconds. Or better yet.. only allow simultaneous subs.. where, unless it is 2 minutes to half or the final.. you cannot snap the ball before 15 seconds are left on the play clock. That allows a pretty fast tempo.. a snap every 10-15 seconds of so, allowing for ref to spot the ball.. and teh D cannot play games with getting to react, slowly, to a sub on the offensive side... let them sub based on game situation and not offensive personnel.

- second unrelated change are all these passes meant to be caught behind the LOS. I think it puts too much pressure on officials to get it right as to who can block whom and when on, essentially, a forward pass. So some teams seem to get to block and hold downfield during passes and others get called for it.. they don't always get it right.

I think I saw it in the Georgia game today. WRs block downfield... intended target was also a yard over teh LOS.. but Qb was throwing it away towards the receiver and the ball bounced very close to teh LOS.

If went OVER the LOS it would have bene offensive pass interference. But it was behind the LOS. but.. to me.. the intended receiver was beyond the LOS so it was OPI even though the ball didn't get there. ANd if you want to say that he was not the intended target.. then it should have been intentional grounding the ball... not making it past the LOS and no target behind the LOS.

But the rule change I want is that any forward pass that doesn't reach the LOS is LIVE BALL.. like a lateral. They shouldn't get to block downfield and be protected from drops because they are forward passes. A forward pass, perhaps, should be redefined as a ball passed BEYOND the LOS. I think those plays are too power and can dominate easily when you have teh right personnel. If the defense were given more leeway to hit and push receivers around even if the ball is in the air within, say, 5 yards of the LOS.. then it might be more fair.

Either some things like that or simply treat all passes, behind the LOS or not, as a case of not blocking until the ball is touched. you can stand in the way, move, but not initiate contact... unless you are behind the LOS. That includes screens.

Totally disagree. It was a well-coached game. In some ways, coaching kept us in the game.

The hindsight-driven armchair coaches will rant, as they do after every loss. But they really have no clue what they’re talking about, as usual.
Yep, 361 yards against the nation's best defense truly shows how bad of an OC KC is, lol. Sometimes plays just don't work and I do agree we might've been served better running more inside the 10, but that's quibbling when the offense played a helluva game overall.

Yep, 361 yards against the nation's best defense truly shows how bad of an OC KC is, lol. Sometimes plays just don't work and I do agree we might've been served better running more inside the 10, but that's quibbling when the offense played a helluva game overall.
And the other guys happen to be good too….really good.

#113 out of 113 in completion % in the nation.

Today did not improve in that. Our yardage today that outpaced OSU should have been looked at in terms of our red zone to just keep pounding the ball in the ground…sigh

Reactions: Morrischiano
I have long supported Kirk — and still do. And still feel that he has greatly improved our O, especially OL.

OSU could not stop our run game. Kyle averaged 6.6 yards per carry. Gavin even at 3.8 yards per carry.

1st and goal from the 9 in 4 down territory — why are we throwing multiple times?

Then later, when we need to get a 1st on 4th and 2 to get gaming going, we’re lobbing a 30 yard pass into triple coverage?? Game over.

And without the ridiculous play call of Wimsatt’s pick six INT to Kyle — it very well could have been a different game

When Rutgers was beating top ranked teams in 2005-2007, Ray Rice ran the ball over 30 times. Twice even at 39 carries!

We have an elite RB and (surprisingly) elite OL — put it in Kyle’s hands and freaking beat PSU, Iowa and Maryland!

Did Kirk put three men on that receiver? Did Kirk tell Gavin to throw to that guy only?

I thought it was a unique play call on the pass to Kyle. It should have been complete but the QB lofted it a little bit too far.

I cannot believe the nay sayers on this thread - especially the OP. We gained more yards against Ohio State today than Wisconsin and Penn State. Combined. The program was brutally bad only five years ago. Games like this were ridiculous lopsided losses by, like 50 points. The OP can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling donut. Go take a flying **** to the moooooooon!

OSU has elite-level talent across the board and we held our own. I'm totally proud of what RU did today. I also think the recruits and players thinking about NIL are all watching how Schiano and the staff are developing NFL-ready talent. In a few years, I think RU will have the talent to match the elite programs.

Totally disagree. It was a well-coached game. In some ways, coaching kept us in the game.

The hindsight-driven armchair coaches will rant, as they do after every loss. But they really have no clue what they’re talking about, as usual.

You're wrong.

The redzone play calling was terrible.

I just realized that RU outgained Iowa and Northwestern today. Combined.

Yes, criticize the red zone offense, but you have to take the good with the bad. I think the good vastly outweighed the bad today - and all year.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY

More than likely, we are not rushing it in for a td , starting from the ten

OSU loads up inside and we lose that battle just about every time

It’s not the same yardage and play as the middle of the field. When they don’t load up

Reactions: newell138
Yeah its the OCs fault we were in a 1 score game in the 4th quarter against the #1 team in the country with a massive talent advantage against us.

So much cluelessness ITT
So hard to believe that some of our fans are really this clueless and have no understanding of what we are seeing this year. I believe you were similar in thought as I was coming into this year...needed to see something happening and thought it may have started a little sooner. But what we have seen this year with the talent gap has been amazing to watch.
We have fans that are finding a way to knock what this team has become after a game like this. So far, we have given Michigan their toughest game of the season and went toe to toe and maybe even outplayed OSU. Certainly gave them their biggest scare of the season.

And we have fans that can't appreciate it. OSU has 2 NFL- the best RB all around in the nation and the first time in a month all three were on the field at the same time. Their defense has at least 9 guys that will be drafted and more than a few that will be 1-2 round guys.
It is amazing some fans cant see this.

It took 5 years for Teel to develop that Field vision. It took Nova 4 years. It will happen for Wimsatt.
Both were great here. Thought teel was marginally better and threw fewer interceptions. Rooting for Gavin. Hope he can develop it. If he does we would be very dangerous.

Reactions: rutgersal
Should have kept running the ball. Monangai and the OL were pounding them at that point. I thought the play call was trying to get unnecessarily cute.
We ran in them all game UNTIL we got in the red zone. Then we couldn’t move the ball. 4 trips = 9 points

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT