ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight Labor Day- Tenn vs Ga. Tech

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Heard Tenn has a back up QB from N NJ. His Dad might have played at RU a few years back.
8 pm, ESPN

Last edited:
Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
His father? James G or something, was a WR in the early 90s I think, pretty sure Flood tried to recruit the kid. Butch Jones was on the staff when Dad played at RU.
I was kidding I know . Except the kid is on tenn not GT

Paul Johnson is one of better coaches in CFB. Doesn't get much notice relatively speaking.

Reactions: Peteyd
He'll sit for two more years, then get another chance to compete for the job against younger, more talented, prospects.

And orange is an ugly color.

Reactions: rurichdog
I sense a transfer coming especially if this other guy does well. We seem to be a perennial landing spot for failed QB's. Bring it on.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Paul Johnson is one of better coaches in CFB. Doesn't get much notice relatively speaking.

He's a good coach. But the triple option can only take you so far. I wonder if GTech fans are weary with it .

I know he's a good coach but I would never want him here at RU. I don't want to watch that style of football year in and out

Paterson, NJ native and Tennessee transfer Shawn Seabrooks played well at Rutgers around the turn of the century. 2000-2002. 3 year starter at DB. All Big East first team 2002. Team's Defensive MVP in 2001 and 2002. There is a precedent.

Last edited:
Reactions: LC-88 and RuSnp
He's a good coach. But the triple option can only take you so far. I wonder if GTech fans are weary with it .

I know he's a good coach but I would never want him here at RU. I don't want to watch that style of football year in and out

You mean a style of play that wins?

They are a good program but I really can't stand their style. I don't ever want to see us run that crap.

1) it would take 2-3 MORE years to get the right guys to run that O

2) it would work well, early on, but

3) the B1G is NOT the ACC or the AAC; the B1G, especially our division, will PUNISH the QB in that O. Remember: every time he leaves the pocket with the ball, he becomes a runner, so he's going to get hit a shit-ton of times game after game after game. The only plays he's not getting hit are on the FB dive and passing plays (not many) if he gets the ball off quickly. You probably need 3 guys, who can run that O effectively enough to win games in this conference, or you're screwed.

...so, yeah, no thanks!

If you like 3 yards and a cloud of turf then GTech is your team.Great scheme if you like small over unders.

They have had v good success with the triple option. I think a school like GT is better off using it since their recruiting will never by top tier of their league. I think more often than not their ranking exceeds what their recruiting would suggest.

Does anyone else thing the lights in the Mercedes-Benz Stadium seems a little dim?

Just from the image on the screen it looks like one of those lower tier, small stadium night games from fly-over country. Its like the cameras have to work hard t get enough light and are washing it out a bit..

Eight bowl games, four ACC Coastal titles, and one ACC title in nine seasons under Johnson. The team finished #7/#8 in the polls last season. That's a pretty high level of success at a school that will never be able to out-recruit Florida State, Clemson, or Miami.

Johnson's offense is so much more complex than a standard triple option, and he calls all of the plays himself with no play sheets or cards. I wonder how often those who trash the offense as boring actually watch GT games. I'm really enjoying watching the offense just impose its will on another team with higher-rated recruits. This is a darned good offense with big-play ability.

ESPN keeps cutting to JG sulking and looking bratty on the sideline. All game long. It's been a theme of this broadcast for sure.

Reactions: JCKnight
Herbstreit sorta calling out JG. That's fun.
That seemed like a bit much. Show him goofing off on the sideline.. sitting on the bench chatting... something.. we have no idea where JG is.. just that Herbstiet doesn't see him near the guys signalling in plays.

Guarantano looks like he's a he'll of a good teammate.
Agreed he is pouting on the sideline after another TD by his team keeping them in the game...seems to just care about the fact he isn't getting in the game...that's the kind of player we do NOT want on RU

Reactions: KingHigh
Okay I know Tennesee has a huge alumni base, student population, and fan base in general...especially as opposed to GT...BUT...how on Earth do they have 75% of the fans in this stadium tonight? Both teams went 9-4 last year and GTech is...literally....1.8 miles away!

I figured the tickets were split down the middle, 50/50, but when they show a full view of the place - or at least as full as possible - it's very clear that a good 3/4 of the place is in "orange." Wow!

If you go by the announcers, Guarantano may as well just wear a sign around his neck saying "I'm a pissed off quarterback who didn't get to start"

That seemed like a bit much. Show him goofing off on the sideline.. sitting on the bench chatting... something.. we have no idea where JG is.. just that Herbstiet doesn't see him near the guys signalling in plays.
We do know where he isn't though. On the sideline, engaged in the game, learning the offense in his first ever suited up college game. It's a fair point to comment on.

Reactions: RUSK97
ESPN keeps cutting to JG sulking and looking bratty on the sideline. All game long. It's been a theme of this broadcast for sure.
Ahh.. that explains it. I was just about to respond to your last comment because seeing JG walking the sidelines (presumably toward the endzone they scored in to welcome the players to the sidelines) watching the replay o the big board.. well.. I thought it was a reach... but if he really has been sulking the whole game... no defense for that.. maybe he figured they were struggling and he'd get his shot.. and now they score a couple and he is going to be sitting the whole game.. perhaps the whole season.

We do know where he isn't though. On the sideline learning the offense in his first ever suited up college game. It's a fair point to comment on.
More importantly he doesn't look like he is on the sideline cheering on his team...from the shots if him appears he'd rather Domady shit the bed and the team be down four scores so he could get in the game

Reactions: ClassOf02
Funny thing is that the 3 guys at halftime (Virk, Galloway, Palmer) were almost 100% positive that he was coming into the game in the 2nd half. Gotta wonder had Tenn not scored that TD, late in the 3rd, if JG was preparing to come in or not?

We do know where he isn't though. On the sideline, engaged in the game, learning the offense in his first ever suited up college game. It's a fair point to comment on.

That's on the coaches too.. unless we hear otherwise.. JG should be REQUIRED to be wit the signal callers with a headset on.. one would presume the OC and QB coach should be on his ass..

Okay I know Tennesee has a huge alumni base, student population, and fan base in general...especially as opposed to GT...BUT...how on Earth do they have 75% of the fans in this stadium tonight? Both teams went 9-4 last year and GTech is...literally....1.8 miles away!

I figured the tickets were split down the middle, 50/50, but when they show a full view of the place - or at least as full as possible - it's very clear that a good 3/4 of the place is in "orange." Wow!

I'm guessing 3 things:
Atlanta is a Pro town, all the state of Tenn has is UT football.
UT is a much bigger school w a much bigger alum base (29,000 vs 13,500)
U of Georgia is the most popular CFB team in GA , not Ga Tech.

All that being said, pretty weak for Ga Tech students, fans and alums

Funny thing is that the 3 guys at halftime (Virk, Galloway, Palmer) were almost 100% positive that he was coming into the game in the 2nd half. Gotta wonder had Tenn not scored that TD, late in the 3rd, if JG was preparing to come in or not?
That was my first thought.. he might be warming up... so without them locating him with the camera.. I thought it was an unfair point at the time.

What should be more important to the Tenn staff is that he seems completely not ready to enter the game if need be. Not following plays, defenses, anything.

I'm guessing 3 things:
Atlanta is a Pro town, all the state of Tenn has is UT football.
UT is a much bigger school w a much bigger alum base (29,000 vs 13,500)
U of Georgia is the most popular CFB team in GA , not Ga Tech.

All that being said, pretty weak for Ga Tech students, fans and alums
Guessing GTech has a diverse geographic student body and alums move all over. They have an enrollment of 26K.. but housing for less than 10K.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT