ADVERTISEMENT

Top Freshman in B10 - Gavin @ #6

Take it easy and I’ll break it down for you.
You seem to be arguing just to argue without actual understanding.

Flipkowski is earning zero this year (putting NIL aside).
Yes, his rookie contract would be marginally larger starting in 2025.

However, he is starting a year later.
So he will start his 2nd NBA contract (hypothetically $25m/year - being conservative) a year later.

That is the money he is giving up by returning to college and delaying a year.

Those are the facts you seem to be missing.
I even laid out specifics in another thread if you would like.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...sion-contract-5y-260m-205m-guaranteed.262854/
Not so fast . If he goes top 5 next year he makes in 2 years anywhere from 20 million to 14 million from number 1 to number 5 compared to 4-5 million to less from 18-30. So that is 15 million to to 10 million more. If he doesn’t pan out to get a max or even a $ 25 million contract then he wouldn’t make out better. If he blows up after 3-4 years , he will get $30 -$40 million a year not $25.

Not so fast . If he goes top 5 next year he makes in 2 years anywhere from 20 million to 14 million from number 1 to number 5 compared to 4-5 million to less from 18-30. So that is 15 million to to 10 million more. If he doesn’t pan out to get a max or even a $ 25 million contract then he wouldn’t make out better. If he blows up after 3-4 years , he will get $30 -$40 million a year not $25.
Filipowski projected to go around 20 in 2024 NBA mock drafts...The thing is the NBA values youth that usually means a higher ceiling...

No elite player is saying:
"Eh I'm not sure if I'm going to pan out in the NBA and getaa great 2nd contract. I'll return to school for a year and maybe get a better rookie contract."

Every elite player is going to think they will get a big 2nd contract.
Meaning any advantage gained (maybe - not even a guarantee) on the 1st rookie contract is negated by getting to the 2nd contract quicker.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
If he’s projected top 20 and you somehow got to advise him you’d tell him to come back?
Horrible advice
Disagree. If he can go top 5 next year . What if he doesn’t pan out after 3-4 years , not a total bust , but not commending a second contract in the $25-$35 million range , then going top 5 next year makes sense

• Haha
No elite player is saying:
"Eh I'm not sure if I'm going to pan out in the NBA and getaa great 2nd contract. I'll return to school for a year and maybe get a better rookie contract."

Every elite player is going to think they will get a big 2nd contract.
Meaning any advantage gained (maybe - not even a guarantee) on the 1st rookie contract is negated by getting to the 2nd contract quicker.
What if they don’t blow up and are not a total bust but not so valuable after 3/4 years ? What is the great $ benefit ?

Disagree. If he can go top 5 next year . What if he doesn’t pan out after 3-4 years , not a total bust , but not commending a second contract in the $25-$35 million range , then going top 5 next year makes sense
Or he could blow out his knee and never get drafted.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777
I think Gavin is on a similar trajectory as Franz Wagner, the former Michigan star.
  • Wagner was a heavily recruited 4 star recruit 6'8 SG or small forward
  • All B10 freshman team
  • 2nd team all B10 sophomore year avg 13 ppg and 6.3 reb
  • Declares draft in junior year and is 8th pick of 1st round
  • 1st year in Orlando 15 ppl 46 FG% and 35% from 3
  • 2nd year in Orlando 18 ppl 48 FG% and 36% from 3
Gavin is just a good a shooter as Wagner but think GG is a better all around athlete and can get downhill and penetrate if he has to. He plays 2 years for us and goes pro his junior year.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
What if they don’t blow up and are not a total bust but not so valuable after 3/4 years ? What is the great $ benefit ?

Doesn't matter.
What player is saying to themselves "what if I'm an NBA bust? What if I'm not actually that good in the NBA?"

This is like when people say coaches should pitch to a recruit "Don't go to Alabama. They are just going to recruit over you next year and you'll be on the bench."

No elite athlete thinks they are going to be a bust or replaced or not be great.
Every one thinks they are going to be a starter or key contributor.

RU fans still don't quite digest or understand how skilled and talented Griffiths is, in terms of being an overall better offensive player.....its not just elite or quicker shooting from 3, with effectiveness, it's off the bounce and the impact he will have as a 6'7 SG, becomes a matchup problem teams will have to focus on.

Having this type of player at 26 to 30 MPG in 2023-24, unlocks the true potential gains in 2024-25. It will be worth every minute he plays this year, by creating minutes now and clearing the deck for that to happen.
I don’t think the lack of digestion or lack of understanding is too concerning here: we’ve heard a bunch, seen the YouTube highlights, saw some glimpses from Spain and seen the box scores - it’s probably more a case of pent up anticipation!

Exactly - and I'm not even saying he's a lock for one and done - just that he has a shot and if puts up Jett Howard/Sensabaugh/Hood-Schifino like numbers (which I think he will), then he'll get treated by the NBA like those guys did.

I give up on trying to convince anyone. It's not worth the time or effort.

This has nothing to do with how many PPG the player does or doesn't score and to mention Hood Schfino, Jett Howard and Sensabaugh in the same sentence with Griffiths isn't close......not because he's not an elite capable scorer, but those players have NBA parents (Howard) or guards that create their own offense on their own. Griffiths isn't at that level of scorer right now and doesn't possess the handle to do so yet.

If you watch his interview, he's acknowledged that's an aspect of his game needs improvement and that's ultimately what the NBA level is all about. If you cannot get your own offense, 1 on 1, you better be a dominant defender (Caleb McConnell) rebounding player or have played 3 to 4 years and had consistent college level production (Ron Harper Jr).

My projections about impact on RU and college basketball winning and whether that translates automatically to the NBA is false. There are great and high impact college winning players (Zach Edey, Trevion Williams, Carson Edwards all at Purdue in the last 5 to 6 years), Kofi Cockburn at Illinois, Trace Jackson-Davis, Indiana etc

Those players are building blocks of college programs.....none were ever considered locks to be 1st round picks guaranteed to secure 5 to 10 year NBA careers. The NBA is too deep with 5, 7, 10 year players and there simply aren't enough teams/roster spots.

• Haha
This has nothing to do with how many PPG the player does or doesn't score and to mention Hood Schfino, Jett Howard and Sensabaugh in the same sentence with Griffiths isn't close......not because he's not an elite capable scorer, but those players have NBA parents (Howard) or guards that create their own offense on their own. Griffiths isn't at that level of scorer right now and doesn't possess the handle to do so yet.

If you watch his interview, he's acknowledged that's an aspect of his game needs improvement and that's ultimately what the NBA level is all about. If you cannot get your own offense, 1 on 1, you better be a dominant defender (Caleb McConnell) rebounding player or have played 3 to 4 years and had consistent college level production (Ron Harper Jr).

My projections about impact on RU and college basketball winning and whether that translates automatically to the NBA is false. There are great and high impact college winning players (Zach Edey, Trevion Williams, Carson Edwards all at Purdue in the last 5 to 6 years), Kofi Cockburn at Illinois, Trace Jackson-Davis, Indiana etc

Those players are building blocks of college programs.....none were ever considered locks to be 1st round picks guaranteed to secure 5 to 10 year NBA careers. The NBA is too deep with 5, 7, 10 year players and there simply aren't enough teams/roster spots.
Someone else mentioned Gradey Dick as a comparison for Gavin which I think is fair. Gradey Dick does not create his own offense, he is an elite shooter and left after his freshman year and went 13th in the draft. I actually think Gavin is better than Gradey in the open court, and also getting to the basket if the defense plays him too tight. He definitely has the potential to go next year in the first round if he plays up to his potential. The NBA loves and needs shooters. Most NBA players are not out creating their own shot, they are 3 and D players who look to catch and shoot.

Last edited:
Or he could blow out his knee and never get drafted.

Bumping because I vaguely remembered this conversation and someone mentioning what if Filipkowski got hurt and the attention over his post-game injury.
Nice call!
Will be interesting if he takes some time to return and looks hampered.

Based on most mocks, Kyle is projected to mid-lottery to late Top 10 2024 pick.
Marginally better than last year.
Certainly not projected as a Top 5 pick.

Bumping because I vaguely remembered this conversation and someone mentioning what if Filipkowski got hurt and the attention over his post-game injury.
Nice call!
Will be interesting if he takes some time to return and looks hampered.

Based on most mocks, Kyle is projected to mid-lottery to late Top 10 2024 pick.
Marginally better than last year.
Certainly not projected as a Top 5 pick.
Painful to read.

I'm taking Gavin over Mackenzie...time will tell but I like gg's game more. Would have liked to see him at Rutgers but feel like his game is more suitable for a slower pace than I envision RU playing this year..
Haven't seen any of these other guys play except for Gabe cupps, he was on ESPN a few times. He's pretty good but given the opportunities he will have, I wouldn't be surprised if Gavin wins b10 freshman of the year..
Lol welp

I know he was deemed our 3-pointer savior at the beginning of the season, but I actually wish he just took less threes. Think he'd have much better success, especially since people expect threes to be a weapon of his. Maybe take the longer twos that Derek often takes.

Reactions: goru7
I absolutely LOVE this bump. The inputs by the so called experts are priceless. If they had any guts they should take a great look in the mirror and 1) have some character to come and say...oops. 2) tone down and stfu with some of the expert know it all postings.

I've been an RU shrill for 50 years but learned long ago be excited but ground yourself in history.
While I'll say right now top 25 next year with the two studs is my only expectation.

I absolutely LOVE this bump. The inputs by the so called experts are priceless. If they had any guts they should take a great look in the mirror and 1) have some character to come and say...oops. 2) tone down and stfu with some of the expert know it all postings.

I've been an RU shrill for 50 years but learned long ago be excited but ground yourself in history.
While I'll say right now top 25 next year with the two studs is my only expectation.
So well said, some of the same folks who blew up on my next year expectations post.
It’s laughable.
I have never been as wrong not even close, on any of my post as some on this board have been so proven in this tread 😂

Let’s hope so, but I doubt it. I think 7 thru 10 seed tourney team is the ceiling. Two expected stars, even if they do pan out, is not enough. I also foresee a playground, iso offense again which we see doesnt work

Reactions: biazza38
Owen Freeman doesn't even appear on this list! So you can mock the people on this board, but the so-called experts don't even have the #1 Freshman listed.

Reactions: goru7
All of the analysis was based on what they thought was his pure shooting ability.
It was a given he’d probably struggle defensively and go through learning curves, but if he could just shoot and make foul shots… all would have been good.
His uncontested foul shots are not even close at times

Let’s hope so, but I doubt it. I think 7 thru 10 seed tourney team is the ceiling. Two expected stars, even if they do pan out, is not enough. I also foresee a playground, iso offense again which we see doesnt work
It doesn't work with the players we have now.

It doesn't work with the players we have now.
Nothing could work on offense with what we have right now. 7 of our top 9 rotation players are shooting at below 39%. Only 2 of them above 38%. That is beyond. Bad. Of the 2 who are above 39%, J William’s has only played in 7 games - he’s at 40%. The other guy is Cliff who only shoots right under the hoop - he’s 50.4%. It doesn’t matter what offense we run. Nobody can score.

Nothing could work on offense with what we have right now. 7 of our top 9 rotation players are shooting at below 39%. Only 2 of them above 38%. That is beyond. Bad. Of the 2 who are above 39%, J William’s has only played in 7 games - he’s at 40%. The other guy is Cliff who only shoots right under the hoop - he’s 50.4%. It doesn’t matter what offense we run. Nobody can score.
That's kind of my point. People keep complaining about the scheme. I agree that the scheme is below average but it isn't the major driver of our failure.

That's kind of my point. People keep complaining about the scheme. I agree that the scheme is below average but it isn't the major driver of our failure.

I can’t imagine any scheme being effective because we miss our shots even when not contested. We don’t finish wide open lay ups or make 3s when we are open. All a different scheme might be able to do is get us less contested shot opportunities but we don’t seem to make them anyway.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

A bad scheme with better players is still a sub-optimal outcome.

Ideally a good scheme with good players.

We have the fewest overall 3pt attempts in the Big Ten.
Fewest overall made 3pt made.
Tied for last in AVG 3pt made per game.

Is this because of the current players or the overall scheme preference of HC Pike?
This is literally the same conservation we’ve been having for years (both here and on the FB board about that offense).

“We are terrible 3pt shooters. Why would we take more?”

Will the scheme magically change next year with presumably better talent?
I’ll believe it when I see it.

Is this because of the current players or the overall scheme preference of HC Pike?
This is literally the same conservation we’ve been having for years (both here and on the FB board about that offense).

I’ll believe it when I see it.i
It’s hard to say much one way or the other this year about scheme. Maybe Pike legitimately believes that Derek in iso gives us the best chance to win. Nobody puts the ball in the basket so…

Reactions: NickRU714

Generally speaking worse shooters attempt fewer shots.

I would say that Pikiell does not emphasize shooting when recruiting players, and he's not going to have a bunch of non-shooters suddenly try to start launching.

Generally speaking worse shooters attempt fewer shots.

I would say that Pikiell does not emphasize shooting when recruiting players, and he's not going to have a bunch of non-shooters suddenly try to start launching.
Not Emphasizing shooting doesn’t mean you can’t recruit guys who can shoot?
Let’s agree Pike emphasizes defense, I’m pretty sure he’d take what he considers an excellent defensive prospect who has a good history of shooting over one who can’t.
He took Chol who supposedly can shoot but can’t play the game didn’t he?

Reactions: bethlehemfan
everyone was banking on Gavin to shoot like Cam and also be able to drive the lane, which Cam was lacking.

Gavin was supposed to be an upgrade over Cam. boy we were wrong...

We expected way too much out of the freshman. I guess we weren't used to getting these high profile 4/5 star guys, that we thought he was going to rip shit up immediately... (i was def. one of them)

anywho... have a good day all

Unfortunately GG looks lost out there now. I thought there was a time when he was on the cusp of breaking out offensively, but that just never materialized. Not sure what's going through his head concerning next year considering this year was such a bust for him - wouldn't put it past him to consider the portal. Time will tell, and hope he stays but college sports just such a different landscape these days.

It’s the inability of our ballhandlers to play structured team offense. So yeah, our ‘scheme’, which is actually no scheme at all but a ‘good luck guys’ approach by Pike is limited by who we have.

I wonder, what offense do they practice ? Or do they play pickup games the whole time ? From the looks of it, probably the latter.

Ideally we'd be good at everything, yes, but having a coach that is a bit below average at offense and amazing at defense is still pretty good and combined with talent can result in a really good team.
It’s the inability of our ballhandlers to play structured team offense. So yeah, our ‘scheme’, which is actually no scheme at all but a ‘good luck guys’ approach by Pike is limited by who we have.

I wonder, what offense do they practice ? Or do they play pickup games the whole time ? From the looks of it, probably the latter.
I mean this is a huge exaggeration as usual.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT