ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Flo Rankings

Super great to see Pagano knock off some ranked guys.Alvarez style is so funky that I think he is an NCAA qualifier right now.He is getting better each time he wrestles.

Super great to see Pagano knock off some ranked guys.Alvarez style is so funky that I think he is an NCAA qualifier right now.He is getting better each time he wrestles.
Yes he’s a private school kid but Alvarez has that blue collar mentality that I love in a wrestler. He had gotten beat so many times before he finally pulled through to win states in his senior year, beating a kid who is currently #1 in the country. After watching him opening weekend, I was unsure if he was going to have a good year. Watching him at the open, I tend to agree he could be a national qualifier this year

It’s going to get dicey when Suriano returns whether it’s this year or next.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Yes he’s a private school kid but Alvarez has that blue collar mentality that I love in a wrestler. He had gotten beat so many times before he finally pulled through to win states in his senior year, beating a kid who is currently #1 in the country. After watching him opening weekend, I was unsure if he was going to have a good year. Watching him at the open, I tend to agree he could be a national qualifier this year

Here is a bit of a stretch/best case scenario lineup for next year. This team could would be in contention for a top 3-5 finish. There are rumors out there that Sebastian Rivera may graduate and wrestle as a grad student at RU next year. If so and if Suriano returns could see 125/133 Suriano/Rivera or vice versa. Sammy A is so tall, I bet he fills out into a 141 and JoJo with a year in a college weight room could go 149. Put a healthy Vulakh and or Kanniard at 157. Turley/Kanniard at 165. Grello at 174. Janzer at 184. Correnti at 197 and then a big hole at HWT. Also a chance Tyree Sutton transfers in. He will be at 197 but maybe if he comes, somebody bumps up. Either way a salty lineup.

Reactions: Loyal-Son and RU23

Here is a bit of a stretch/best case scenario lineup for next year. This team could would be in contention for a top 3-5 finish. There are rumors out there that Sebastian Rivera may graduate and wrestle as a grad student at RU next year. If so and if Suriano returns could see 125/133 Suriano/Rivera or vice versa. Sammy A is so tall, I bet he fills out into a 141 and JoJo with a year in a college weight room could go 149. Put a healthy Vulakh and or Kanniard at 157. Turley/Kanniard at 165. Grello at 174. Janzer at 184. Correnti at 197 and then a big hole at HWT. Also a chance Tyree Sutton transfers in. He will be at 197 but maybe if he comes, somebody bumps up. Either way a salty lineup.

Isn’t this Grello’s last year? Seems like he’s been around forever.

Is Sutton wrestling somewhere? He had a kid in high school he was caring for, I think, and that was part of the reason he didn’t go D1 right away. He was unreal.

Is Sutton wrestling somewhere? He had a kid in high school he was caring for, I think, and that was part of the reason he didn’t go D1 right away. He was unreal.

I believe he is at some CC in Iowa.

In response to previous post by Scarlet Grapfan and with no insider knowledge, I found the following info:

On Sunday, November 10th, Iowa State hosted an Open tournament. Tyree Sutton wrestled Unattached for NAIA Grandview. He placed first in the 197 pound Open division and beat a rostered Division 1 wrestler from both Iowa State and Northern Iowa. It is still not apparent whether he will wrestle Unattached for the remainder of the season (and therefore be able to transfer with 2 years of eligibility).

197 | Tyree Sutton (Unattached) – 1st

• W – Tyler Roling of Iowa State WC (Maj 17-3)
  • W – Joel Shapiro of Iowa State (Dec 9-3)
  • W – Tyrell Gordon of Northern Iowa (Unattached) (Dec 3-1)

In response to previous post by Scarlet Grapfan and with no insider knowledge, I found the following info:

On Sunday, November 10th, Iowa State hosted an Open tournament. Tyree Sutton wrestled Unattached for NAIA Grandview. He placed first in the 197 pound Open division and beat a rostered Division 1 wrestler from both Iowa State and Northern Iowa. It is still not apparent whether he will wrestle Unattached for the remainder of the season (and therefore be able to transfer with 2 years of eligibility).

Nice pick up plcoolg...I did not even look to see if he was un-attached. I know he was not an academic qualifier out of HS, then saw he was at an NAIA school after two years at a CC...I am assuming he is still not D1 qualified. Two many rules to look up about CC to NAIA to D1....but I guess if he redshirts this year and grades are in order he might qualify.( I will gladly eat my words!!)

Correct, spent two seasons at Iowa Central and now is at Grandview. This is his third year competing......don't look for him to come to RU

Are you saying this with certainty via inside information or are you merely speculating?

Are you saying this with certainty via inside information or are you merely speculating?

I am speculating based on Sutton being at an NAIA school after two years at a CC. He is very talented, hopefully he can qualify and come to RU.

As an Iowan, I can say that if you're going to take an NAIA option, Grandview is the cream of the crop. Granted, I don't buy the idea of "team titles" outside of duals, but they have won 8 straight NAIA championships, and are ranked #1 this year.

It's where Andrew Long ended up after his jail (prison?) time in Pennsylvania, won the Midlands that year, and was later booted off for good for alcohol violations.

I am speculating based on Sutton being at an NAIA school after two years at a CC. He is very talented, hopefully he can qualify and come to RU.
Sutton is 197.. even if he comes won’t we have a logjam with Pagano, Correnti and Lightner already?

As an Iowan, I can say that if you're going to take an NAIA option, Grandview is the cream of the crop. Granted, I don't buy the idea of "team titles" outside of duals, but they have won 8 straight NAIA championships, and are ranked #1 this year.

It's where Andrew Long ended up after his jail (prison?) time in Pennsylvania, won the Midlands that year, and was later booted off for good for alcohol violations.

Grandview has 60+ guys on the roster. How is that even possible?
http://www.gvvikings.com/roster/18/5/14046.php

Grandview has 60+ guys on the roster. How is that even possible?
http://www.gvvikings.com/roster/18/5/14046.php
They always have a huge roster, with a lot of good talent on the team. To be a starter on their team takes some talent.

I'm also not sure if they're a scholarship school. If not, then it's all the more impressive that they draw that many wrestlers, given that it's a private college and fairly expensive to attend.

I would agree about 197, any position that does not have a potential All American is open. Poz is not a tall 184 pounder (Neither is Janzer) and I dont expect either of them to go 197

I am very curious to How Aguilar does this year. I think he has talent, but he is a small 125 (Where does Nick Suriano fit in, People suggesting Sebastian RIveria coming to RU, he wrestled at 133 in his first match of the season.)

157 next year will be interesting next year as well (Vulkah/Kanniard/MVB).

285 is a sore spot next year. No stud on the horizon (K Hamilton is 2021 correct - if he doesn't play football)

I would agree about 197, any position that does not have a potential All American is open. Poz is not a tall 184 pounder (Neither is Janzer) and I dont expect either of them to go 197

I am very curious to How Aguilar does this year. I think he has talent, but he is a small 125 (Where does Nick Suriano fit in, People suggesting Sebastian RIveria coming to RU, he wrestled at 133 in his first match of the season.)

157 next year will be interesting next year as well (Vulkah/Kanniard/MVB).

285 is a sore spot next year. No stud on the horizon (K Hamilton is 2021 correct - if he doesn't play football)

Yes, HWT will be a big problem next season(maybe we get lucky with the transfer portal).
Also agree about Poz, really think he is a 74 or maybe 84(would lean more 74lber).
Goodale said they were worried about Janzer making 184 that he got huge. This year he looks much more muscular... like he spent a lot of time in the weight room, one more year of weight training he could grow into a 197.

It would be interesting to see Janzer at 197. Watching his matches at Journeymen, he appeared significantly shorter than his 2 opponents.

It would be interesting to see Janzer at 197. Watching his matches at Journeymen, he appeared significantly shorter than his 2 opponents.

Yea I like him at 84 as well, I only mentioned it because Goodale said he was up in the 200's and they were a little worried about him getting back down to 84.

I am up in the 200's and there is not a chance in heck i can get down to 184.

I think i can make 197......but it require me cutting back on the apple pie and turkey next weekend.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Drexel 133 defeats #33 Witcraft of OSU 5-1....held him down for 2 minutes of riding time.
Seems to be the biggest learning curve for Freshman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT