ADVERTISEMENT

Use eight, rotate seven ,play six, trust five

Geo, Caleb. Mulchahy, Harper, Cliff - he trust those 5.

Hyatt, Agee. Jones - will obviosuly all play.

Reiber - I am higher on him than most, he will hopefully be a good player in short spurts.

Mag - I didn't see it with him last year, seemed like a deer in headlights, but heard good stuff.

Palmquist - If he can't shoot this year he won't see the floor and will be gone by next season.

Miller - he will play when needed but most likely doesn't see much time consistenly this year.
Mag got hurt very early in the season. Not sure where you could have seen that about him but my limited viewing of him was positive. He looked very fluid and athletic and had pretty good shooting form. Reminded me of Montez but taller and wider frame. Of course I too only had a limited view of him so we shall see.

Agree pretty much on everyone else.

At Stoney Brook, Pikes pretty much used the traditional 7 or 8 guy rotation. As Pat Riley used to say, "Use eight, rotate seven, play six, trust five." At RU Pikes has gone with a larger rotation. It has worked but it boggles my basketball mind to give generous play time to an 8th or 9th best player.
Wanna have a happy team: Give everybody minutes.
Wanna have a happy team: Start seniors.
Wanna have a happy team: Give new guys a short leash.
Wanna win: Use eight, rotate seven, play six, trust five.
Play the best 5. Get them gelling in the Nov. Work on project players in practice plus spare minutes and garbage time.

RU should not be in the business of giving minutes to Mags, Palmquist, Reiber. We've got to find out about Hyatt, Jones, Miller and Agee. Realistically two of those four guys should be in the 8 getting use. Of Mag, Palmquist, Reiber, Hyatt, Jones, Miller, Agee there might be 3 guys that should see regular minutes. I'm hoping two will break through and be starters or play 20+ mpg.
Of the currently trusted 5 -Omoruyi, Harper, Baker, McConnell, Mulcahy- I don't really have that much trust in McConnell and Mulcahy. Mag, Hyatt, Jones and Miller should be following them into the cafeteria and trying to eat there lunch. There will be jealousy and hard feelings. That's part of the team dynamic. In the end, winning is what counts.

Amped for the start of this season!
Just noticed this. Great and prescient post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT