ADVERTISEMENT

We need to address

There's nothing to address.....Mathis took Carr in the low post because Carr had 3 fouls and scored....Young is a streaky player who took on the challenge of Marcus Carr and got caught up trying to match play for play.....Cliff is a work in progress and needs more minutes....Myles is actually elevating his game and makes the difference between the 2, much more drastic, that's how well Myles Johnson is playing. Cliff is not going to play as well or close to as well as Myles is now.

I am not the least bit worried about the bench......wait until we see the faster pace at Iowa, you will see the difference in styles and tempo and how you have to have different players who thrive in up tempo, faster paced games.....Young will have 20+ at Iowa.

The Tez, Cliff, Young, 3 man substitutions..
All at one time.
Yep,
Need to keep one of them on the bench until the next subs . You need to play clfff to give Myles blows but the drop off is so big right now it’s insane

It's the price you pay to have your core 5 on the court together at the start and end of the game. It's where we miss Yeboah the most.
It’s almost as if you want to find 5 and get them together for 8 minutes and let the starting 5 play together for 32.

sort of kidding.

The drop-off from Myles is the problem. We go from good to bad in seconds.
Steve hayn needs to be fired. He brings nothing to the table. Hes apparently a scumbag too, at least according to some old heads ive balled with who knew him from his stevens days

Reactions: RUsojo
The Tez, Cliff, Young, 3 man substitutions..
All at one time.

I get it ...but it also keeps our staring 5 together ...who was +5 in the first 5 minute of the game and +10 in the last 8 minutes

there is three problems with the first line shift

1.) cliff is slow in the defensive rotations coming off the bench to start and we start giving up inside offense

2.) young, even at his best, is Not good keeping a balanced offense and floor spacing in the half court offense so we don’t get nearly the clean looks

3.) we don’t get the Boards as well...so what Mathis and young do best ...get out on the break ...isn’t happening as much

Cliff should only play when Myles is either in foul trouble or needs a breather. He's going to be fine in the future I think but he's really playing like a freshman since coming back from the knee injury. And JY and Tez should not be on the floor at the same time. Too much turnover potential. Every game it seems one of them has a good game and the other kills us

Cliff should only play when Myles is either in foul trouble or needs a breather. He's going to be fine in the future I think but he's really playing like a freshman since coming back from the knee injury. And JY and Tez should not be on the floor at the same time. Too much turnover potential. Every game it seems one of them has a good game and the other kills us
26 feels like the number for Myles. 4 rests of 3 1/2 minutes sandwiched around a Media TO

Yep,
Need to keep one of them on the bench until the next subs . You need to play clfff to give Myles blows but the drop off is so big right now it’s insane
He kept Cliff on the floor from the 14 minute mark till 8 minutes to go that was way too long especially since Myles only had 1 foul

Reactions: Shell21 and santola
There's nothing to address.....Mathis took Carr in the low post because Carr had 3 fouls and scored....Young is a streaky player who took on the challenge of Marcus Carr and got caught up trying to match play for play.....Cliff is a work in progress and needs more minutes....Myles is actually elevating his game and makes the difference between the 2, much more drastic, that's how well Myles Johnson is playing. Cliff is not going to play as well or close to as well as Myles is now.

I am not the least bit worried about the bench......wait until we see the faster pace at Iowa, you will see the difference in styles and tempo and how you have to have different players who thrive in up tempo, faster paced games.....Young will have 20+ at Iowa.

Agreed on the Cliff/Myles point big time.

Cliff is a freshman in the midst of clutch BIG Ten season, and he hit some key FTs....Myles is a star right now. And getting better.

Young is the most frustrating. He has so much talent, but is wildly inconsistent and reckless with the ball lately. Tonight was the 2nd game in the last 3 where he had 6 TOs and tonight he also no assists! In the early season he was terrific at sharing the game. Now he’s trying to do too much and playing selfishly. That needs to change.

KYK1827, You are way off base. I personally know all 4 coaches very well and Steve Hayn is a very nice man. There is no need to take pot shots at any of our staff members or coaches. You are REAL CLASS.

He doesn't ever see practice. He doesn't even know what Steve does. He is a disgrace as a "supposed" fan. Pike is a good coach and if he didn't think that Steve was, he would not put him in the position he is in.

I actually hate responding to his posts. He keeps bringing up his ball playing days. He is like 5'5"

Best of Luck,
Groz

I wish someone would ask about Duke in a pressser. Why hasn’t he seen the floor? At least he grabs rebounds. He is not as bad as Cliff has played the last few games.
Getting Cliff valuable experience is more important

He doesn't ever see practice. He doesn't even know what Steve does. He is a disgrace as a "supposed" fan. Pike is a good coach and if he didn't think that Steve was, he would not put him in the position he is in.

I actually hate responding to his posts. He keeps bringing up his ball playing days. He is like 5'5"

Best of Luck,
Groz
I think it’s under 5,4” without the lifts.

Reactions: RUnTeX and TRU2RU
Young is the most frustrating. He has so much talent, but is wildly inconsistent and reckless with the ball lately. Tonight was the 2nd game in the last 3 where he had 6 TOs and tonight he also no assists! In the early season he was terrific at sharing the game. Now he’s trying to do too much and playing selfishly. That needs to change.

I'm not a coach but he sat the last 8 minutes and only played 18 minutes....if Young keeps turning the ball over, he becomes a scoring option off the bench that is in that 18 -22 minute range and Mulcahy and Caleb and Mathis can carve up the remaining minutes.....Caleb and Mulcahy become more important in that role to help bring the ball up. In a way, Young and his wildly inconsistent play, has opened up the staff to seeing how we need Caleb to be that Yeboah defender and shot taker/maker....and Caleb is just a playmaker that is better in a half court game.

Young is impossible to defend or stay in front of, if you're trying to keep him under control, which is something you absolutely cannot ignore if you're an opponent. If you don't have a player quick enough to stay with Young, he's going to get points in bunches.
...I don't think 6 turnovers per game will continue, it will balance out.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
JY 6 to’s in 22 minutes. 6 to’s in 18 minutes, 0 assists, terrible technical. Those are unheard of turnover to minutes played numbers, and you can’t score enough points to compensate. He could be a very positive contributor, but this can’t continue.

Reactions: Knight Ed
We also have to remember JY has no dish off option for the most part when he’s on the floor with Cliff.
Cliff is learning and he’s the best option we’ve got to give Myles a breather...if he gives us a 0 plus/minus while he’s out there I’d be over joyed

Reactions: RUsojo
I'm not a coach but he sat the last 8 minutes and only played 18 minutes....if Young keeps turning the ball over, he becomes a scoring option off the bench that is in that 18 -22 minute range and Mulcahy and Caleb and Mathis can carve up the remaining minutes.....Caleb and Mulcahy become more important in that role to help bring the ball up. In a way, Young and his wildly inconsistent play, has opened up the staff to seeing how we need Caleb to be that Yeboah defender and shot taker/maker....and Caleb is just a playmaker that is better in a half court game.

Young is impossible to defend or stay in front of, if you're trying to keep him under control, which is something you absolutely cannot ignore if you're an opponent. If you don't have a player quick enough to stay with Young, he's going to get points in bunches.
...I don't think 6 turnovers per game will continue, it will balance out.
What I do not understand is why coach does not take young out immediately when his emotions are not in check
When he dribbles between three guys across court he needs to sit.

All that said, I would have had Tez and Young in the game for the last minute to protect the lead. I understand that Tez's FTs are an option, so if you want to disagree with him, I get it. But for 60 seconds, we needed stops. I want our best defenders in the game.

We also have to consider who came in for Minny. Mashburb was great in the first half. I do think our D drops off When Myles and Caleb are both out at the same time though. Also we did not get to run much because Minny is also fast and athletic. Then consider they hit a few 3’s in a row when when we put out starters back in. Overall agree we lose flow in Offense especially on the second set of subs when Geo and RHJ go out for their breathers.

I though Montez was nearly flawless last night and probably deserved more minutes. He dished off one that he could and would have taken himself in the past. Unless he made some assignment errors I think he got screwed for minutes.

The zone doesn’t work as well with this group because we lose length and Cliff is not the presence when they penetrate that Myles is (yet). JY didn’t look good on D in the first half but did a good job on Carr in the 2nd half.

Minny is a pretty good team with a very good coach. He exploited some of our areas of weakness well. Pike turned up the D at the end to win so I’ll call him a very good coach too.

All that said, I would have had Tez and Young in the game for the last minute to protect the lead. I understand that Tez's FTs are an option, so if you want to disagree with him, I get it. But for 60 seconds, we needed stops. I want our best defenders in the game.
Caleb is a great defender with much better hands then Tez

This is our eight man rotation. We need to live with it. Thank goodness Caleb has been able to play. I don't think we can shorten the rotation any further. Recall Cliff was starting early in the year and JY and Montez were starters until recently.

There are times when you wonder where are the points coming from with certain groups out there but none of our guys are that consistent or talented enough that they are instant offense or can do it on their own. JY is the closest thing we have to that but he can be very erratic. That is why running a half court offense where the ball moves is critical.

Cliff's struggles are readily apparent and I am focusing mostly on the defensive end rather than offense where I think anything we get from him is a bonus. I do agree that Myles has really stepped up and that makes the contrast even more glaring.

On the bright side we have won 4 straight with RH and CO struggling. I recall RH having some of his best games at Carver Hawkeye so maybe that will be the icebreaker.

Best non fouling, make you earn your shot D was out their last night at the end

Caleb is a great defender with much better hands then Tez

I think Carr was handful for any single RU defender last night when playing man to man. No one other than possibly JY has the foot speed to prevent blow byes. Since Caleb has a little more length than Ten, that would be the tiebreaker for me if forced to choose. Montez does need to remember that he earns his minutes on the defensive end and can sometime lose them with bad decisions down the other end.

He kept Cliff on the floor from the 14 minute mark till 8 minutes to go that was way too long especially since Myles only had 1 foul
Joe Boylan, the radio color commentator had an interesting statistic near the end of the game last night--Myles Johnson had ZERO fouls!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT