ADVERTISEMENT

We Will Be A Laughingstock

Jul 19, 2013
If we hire Al Golden.

The college football world will be laughing at us. The Peds. Syracuse. Even the Uconn fans will be laughing at us. He was fired in dramatic fashion at Miami and the fanbase absolutely hated him. The guy had banners flown over the stadium calling for his death knell.

Don't think for a second James Franklin won't be pointing that out to recruits next season if Al is coaching at Rutgers. Just remember that every reason we can point out to not hire Al Golden on these boards, will be pointed out to recruits by the other coaches in our conference. We hear he's a good recruiter and I won't argue he's still an upgrade to Flood. But how good of a recruiter will he be when the entire world knows he couldn't hack it at a blueblood school.

Hiring a coach that was thrown away by a better school will cement us as second tier, loser program in the eyes of the college football world. And that includes recruits.

Between Golden and Cristobal, I'm going with Cristobal. I can't get over the way he went out at Miami. Truth be told I'm actually starting to lean towards Diaco. Not sure if I spelled any of those names right. Lol.

"Hiring a coach that was thrown away by a better school will cement us as second tier, loser program in the eyes of the college football world. And that includes recruits."

well, well so, guess Mark Richt is on your "Undesirable" list

Totally agree. Horrible choice. And worse he has shown no interest or has been totally ineffective in recruiting New Jersey while at Miami. Of course we all know the talent pool down there but you would expect him to use his Northeast ties to cherry pick a few of NJ's best - that has not happened. More reason for concern.

"Hiring a coach that was thrown away by a better school will cement us as second tier, loser program in the eyes of the college football world. And that includes recruits."

Richt wasn't unceremoniously shown the door mid-season after his team quit on him. He also has a MUCH longer pedigree to back up his time.
Big difference between getting canned after 15 years in SEC and not being able to hack it in the big time after a few seasons as your first big job

Big difference between what Richt did at Georgia and Golden at Miami. A lot of Georgia fans are wondering why he got fired.

Mark Richt wasn't thrown out at Georgia the way Golden was. He was let go, it wasn't ugly. There were no banners flying over Sanford Stadium calling for his head.

Reactions: RUonBrain
The point is to hire a HC who is right for RU and will improve the play and talent. I don't care that Golden was fired by Miami. Almost all coaches get fired at some point. Don't care what the "U" crowd thinks of Golden either..doesn't have anything to do with RU. Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks, worry about who is going to improve the football program.

Reactions: RUJMM78
If we hire Al Golden.

The college football world will be laughing at us. The Peds. Syracuse. Even the Uconn fans will be laughing at us. He was fired in dramatic fashion at Miami and the fanbase absolutely hated him. The guy had banners flown over the stadium calling for his death knell.

Don't think for a second James Franklin won't be pointing that out to recruits next season if Al is coaching at Rutgers. Just remember that every reason we can point out to not hire Al Golden on these boards, will be pointed out to recruits by the other coaches in our conference. We hear he's a good recruiter and I won't argue he's still an upgrade to Flood. But how good of a recruiter will he be when the entire world knows he couldn't hack it at a blueblood school.

Hiring a coach that was thrown away by a better school will cement us as second tier, loser program in the eyes of the college football world. And that includes recruits.
I don't have the words.

There are many reasons not to hire Golden, but this isn't one of them. Coaches are ALWAYS hired, fired, and then hired by someone else. Golden is not finished as a head coach whether RU hires him or not.

Reactions: RURM85
Mark Richt wasn't thrown out at Georgia the way Golden was. He was let go, it wasn't ugly. There were no banners flying over Sanford Stadium calling for his head.

Of course Golden turned into a trainwreck - a genuine toxic debacle ... would not touch him with a 30' pole while wearing a hazmat suit .

just taking issue with the idea that coaches that are shown to the door - gently or forcefully - are automatically damaged goods ... some are - some aren't - -

- you could not get a much more polite departure than Mike London's 'resignation' but he is going to be needing to seriously re-boot his career - a hardy no thank you ....

- in the eyes of everyone, Mark Richt was pushed -did not jump ... and in the eyes of many rabid Georgia fans, it was a push that they enjoyed - others say he deserved better... and yes, he will be in demand

- Les Miles came real close to receiving an odd send off - pack him in a barrel with $12 million and then catapult him off the campus while boosters flipped him the bird .... but there would be schools standing ready to catch him.

Lmao...no we wont be laughingstock instead our fans need reality check. It will be seen as a nice solid hire by the national media

That's because the national media thinks so lowly of us, that they expect us to hire Joe Moglia, who no other P5 school would even consider. The national media will be amazed at this point if we hire an actual football coach to be our football coach. I don't think we should set the bar there.

Stop being so dramatic. We would not be a laughingstock. Even if those other bases were laughing I don't really care.

Golden was a successful coordinator at a P-5 team. He took a Temple program that was on the verge of shutting down and with no conference and turned them around. He went down to Miami and took over a program with the Nevin Shapiro potential sanctions hanging over it and ran in cleanly. If all that is laughingstock I will take it (in our price range).

I hate to break it to you, but we've been a laughingstock for 2 years. Who do you think we are, Michigan? Ohio State?

We aren't there yet, and a Golden hire would be great.

And worse he has shown no interest or has been totally ineffective in recruiting New Jersey while at Miami. Of course we all know the talent pool down there but you would expect him to use his Northeast ties to cherry pick a few of NJ's best - that has not happened. More reason for concern.

Off the top of my head (just NJ not thinking about PA or NY):

Kiy Hester
Courtel Jenkins
AQM
Olsen from Wayne Hills
Njoku
Jermome Washington

Reactions: BaseballFan913
Honestly, will the national and regional media like OL Coach 27-47 any better? Basically, they would say they fired a former OL coach who went 26-23 for one who went 27-47? They won't care about any of the arguments presented in his favor. That will be the popular mantra or tagline.

I'm not thrilled the search appears to have come to this, but at least you can argue that Golden helped build a program from the dregs and had a winning record at his last stop. We know he can recruit and knows his way around NJ.

Praying and hoping that a wildcard candidate emerges. This is one of the most depressing reboots (AD and Coach) of all time.

Reactions: drewbagel423
I agree with the premise here. Hiring Golden after his spectacular flame out at the U would be an awful PR move. If he couldn't hack it in the ACC Coastal division, what leads us to believe he can succeed in the B1G East division?

His brand is just too tarnished right now to think that he could successfully recruit, and I think many who actually like him are focusing on what he did at Temple and ignoring how bad it got at Miami. People can say "don't worry about what everyone else thinks, just pick the best coach", but that's a silly strategy in an endeavor that's based so heavily on recruiting. If the general public perception is that Golden is incompetent, it just makes it that much harder for him to recruit, and we don't need any more hindrances than we've already got.

Assuming all of the other generally agreed upon "better" choices (Richt, Greg, etc.) don't pan out, I'd much rather find an up-and-comer or someone who isn't a household name than to go with a guy who most people already know of and think of as a failure. Of all the names kicked around, Golden is probably the absolute last on the list for me.

170311_1_f.jpg

Lmao...no we wont be laughingstock instead our fans need reality check. It will be seen as a nice solid hire by the national media
Golden's resume is better than any prior Rutgers head coach which is very important knowing the level of competition Rutgers faces in the B1G 10.Cristibol has done nothing to deserve consideration unless being a line coach like Flood has merit along with failure at FIU.

Golden's resume is better than any prior Rutgers head coach which is very important knowing the level of competition Rutgers faces in the B1G 10.Cristibol has done nothing to deserve consideration unless being a line coach like Flood has merit along with failure at FIU.
A line coach with a worse all-time head coaching record than Flood to boot. If we're concerned about media, they'll love that angle.

Just like Miami fans our fans need to remember this isn't the 80's anymore. Maybe I'd they gave a guy(who can recruit excellent) a chance for his team to develop they would actually win. They gave Randy Shannon 4 years and fired him after a second place finish. They fired Golden after less than 4 years despite coaching a team with 15 underclassman starters, a soph QB, and no senior OL starters.

I hate to break it to you, but we've been a laughingstock for 2 years. Who do you think we are, Michigan? Ohio State?

We aren't there yet, and a Golden hire would be great.

Aren't there yet? Since joining the Big Ten, we are still standing on the starting line. Firing Flood and hiring Golden or Cristobol won't change that.

30-21 greatest coach ever have to bring him back
32-25 worst coach ever would make us a laughingstock.

A line coach with a worse all-time head coaching record than Flood to boot. If we're concerned about media, they'll love that angle.

I will be seriously disappointed if Al Golden becomes our next coach.
As in not buying season tickets level of disappointment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT