ADVERTISEMENT

What is a “win” for Rutgers today?

billhilf

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2007
Englishtown
Obviously we’d love to see Rutgers pull off the incredible victory. It would probably rank as a top 5 sports moment for me if they did. However, we all know that it would pretty much take a miracle for that to happen.

Therefore, what do you guys think a realistic “win” would be for Rutgers? I’m thinking a 21 point loss or less would be huge progress for RU. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: RutgersDom
I was thinking score 21 points before I saw your 21 point loss or less. A win today would be playing competitively and within a TD at the beginning of the 4th quarter. At least that is my dream for today.

A win is playing well enough that the college football media talk about it as if we won. Even if we lose by two touchdowns this can still happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: fezo and billhilf
Art Sitkowski and the other key players fit to play next week.
There are wins on our schedule. This ain't one of them.

Outscoring Ohio is the only win ! Moral victories don't drive the program into a bowl game or playoffs. Moral victories are for people who are used to getting their ass kicked and look for reason's to say it wasn't as bad as the last time ! Ash is being paid to win by outscoring the other team not having to say yea but it was a great moral win.

You have to face the big school bully again. The bully not hurting you and only stealing $5 instead of $10 is a win? Hell no. A punch in the face and taking his money is a win. What if David had your attitude when he faced Goliath?

Outscoring Ohio is the only win ! Moral victories don't drive the program into a bowl game or playoffs. Moral victories are for people who are used to getting their ass kicked and look for reason's to say it wasn't as bad as the last time ! Ash is being paid to win by outscoring the other team not having to say yea but it was a great moral win.

Should be easy. Ohio has a bye this week!

You have to face the big school bully again. The bully not hurting you and only stealing $5 instead of $10 is a win? Hell no. A punch in the face and taking his money is a win. What if David had your attitude when he faced Goliath?
Have you ever played in a game where you were a heavy favorite? When your opponent keeps it close, you notice. I would just like them to notice us.

I would love for you to be right! But I dont think any of us can fault ash at all if they lose. (Even if by 3 or 4 tds). If he wins i can’t even imagine what would happen....

Have you ever played in a game where you were a heavy favorite? When your opponent keeps it close, you notice. I would just like them to notice us.
If Rutgers keeps it close then they can win with a 4th qtr field goal :-)

You all adopt the loser mentality of this state. Where is the competitive spirit and belief? I wouldn’t want any of you in a fox hole with me.

Special teams respectable. Catch punts on the fly. Play a clean game (interceptions, turnovers, penalties).

Ummm 6 wins “drives us” to a bowl game. Reality check. It usually goes team stinks to moral victories to then hopefully wins against teams like Ohio State. There is a reason why Ohio State is a 35 point favorite against us. We are absolutely a better team then we have been in the past. We are building depth at key positions. Moral victories are in no way a loser mentality as some say as long as the team continues to improve.

A win for me would be staying competitive for most of the game. This means either winning or staying within striking distance of two scores. If things begin to wane in the 4th quarter and starts to pull away from RU, I'll understand that depth which is still lacking is the root cause. So score really doesn't matter, how we preform through three does. This isn't your typical high school bully. This is the #4 ranked boxing championship contender you have to fight off.

Ummm 6 wins “drives us” to a bowl game. Reality check. It usually goes team stinks to moral victories to then hopefully wins against teams like Ohio State. There is a reason why Ohio State is a 35 point favorite against us. We are absolutely a better team then we have been in the past. We are building depth at key positions. Moral victories are in no way a loser mentality as some say as long as the team continues to improve.
I stand by what I said . Nobody was talking about getting 6 wins. And if that is what makes you happy along with a birth in the Bahamas bowl well then that is great! Moral victories are for losers !

You know, I stopped posting here, because this site is full of losers, wannabees, and a bunch of people who couldn't hold a football in their hands, for fear of breaking a nail.
So, for those posters who celebrate wins, when the team scores more points than the other team, I applaud you. It's the only way teams excel, and become better. You must expect the best outcome, and settle for nothing less!
Everyone else; it must be horrible to live your life celebrating mediocrity.
I'm out..........

Reactions: TonyVolt
You know, I stopped posting here, because this site is full of losers, wannabees, and a bunch of people who couldn't hold a football in their hands, for fear of breaking a nail.
So, for those posters who celebrate wins, when the team scores more points than the other team, I applaud you. It's the only way teams excel, and become better. You must expect the best outcome, and settle for nothing less!
I'm out..........

No one is “celebrating mediocrity.” Every poster on here wants Rutgers to win, but because they are 35 point underdogs you cannot fault anyone who thinks it is highly unlikely. It’s not a loser mentality, and I’m sure there are many people who have played football (myself included) who aren’t expecting rutgers to win this game. I would love for my expectations to be wrong, and i will be rooting for them to win with all my heart, but I’d be lying if I said I expect them to.

I'm out..........
I'd argue the opposite. Those people are rarely disappointed and are probably extremely content. You get mad when Rutgers doesn't best Ohio State.

I'm out..........
Well said ! Thank you.

A "win" is simply if we play substantially better against OSU than we have the last two years. There's a lot of room in there for that since we've played so so badly--like not giving up 77 points or actually getting the ball past midfield and scoring a few TDs.

I stand by what I said . Nobody was talking about getting 6 wins. And if that is what makes you happy along with a birth in the Bahamas bowl well then that is great! Moral victories are for losers !
Again that is your opinion but not even close to reality. Very rare for a team as bad as we were the last few years. You said drive to bowl. That means at least six wins. Huge fantasy if you think teams like us beat Ohio State without there being numerous moral victories before it.

I'd put this in the terms I use for my students. If you have a 30 average in math and improve to a 60, that should be celebrated. You're still failing, but I can't, as your teacher, expect you to go from 30 to 100. Incremental growth is incredibly important and should be celebrated.

I'm out..........
Mediocrity or reality. You tell me. I will gladly celebrate each and every game it takes until we are able to beat teams like Ohio State. Gotta walk before you run. Not a loser mentality just 100% reality

Again that is your opinion but not even close to reality. Very rare for a team as bad as we were the last few years. You said drive to bowl. That means at least six wins. Huge fantasy if you think teams like us beat Ohio State without there being numerous moral victories before it.
Thanks for saying my opinion doesn't count. But it does and what I said IS reality ! Moral victories don't get better recruits that would make the program more competitive against the Ohio States of college football or get you to bowl games. And I did not say some of the players would not see a moral victory. Moral victories are for losers. Except nothing less then WINNING !

Go Bobcats!

Thanks for saying my opinion doesn't count. But it does and what I said IS reality ! Moral victories don't get better recruits that would make the program more competitive against the Ohio States of college football or get you to bowl games. And I did not say some of the players would not see a moral victory. Moral victories are for losers. Except nothing less then WINNING !
Are you honestly saying that if Rutgers put a scare into Ohio State today, let's say hypothetically keep it within 7, that recruits wouldn't notice? You're saying they wouldn't think, "Wow, Rutgers is building something?" You're saying to a recruit, that a 1 point loss at OSU is the same as 56-0? You're wrong.

Reactions: RuBird
I bELieve in moral victories. You said they are for losers and your feelings are hurt? You do realize you have said the same line numerous times. Again you may believe it is right but it is not close to reality. When we lost by around 70 to Michigan and had our first first down late in the fourth that sticks with recruits. Same goes for losing a close game to a team that is suppose to beat you by 35.
I am ending this now as this thread has already gotten derailed.

Are you honestly saying that if Rutgers put a scare into Ohio State today, let's say hypothetically keep it within 7, that recruits wouldn't notice? You're saying they wouldn't think, "Wow, Rutgers is building something?" You're saying to a recruit, that a 1 point loss at OSU is the same as 56-0? You're wrong.
Amen!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT