ADVERTISEMENT

Will be interesting how coaches change the way they do things cause of portal?

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
Let's assume that a player coming out of high school has a 50% chance or so to transfer in his 4/5 yr college career. Looks like 30% of college basketball players are in the portal just this year alone.

1) Do coaches and programs now focus less on player development as the payoff is significantly less. For example, are they less inclined to recruit a "project with upside" and spend the time to develop them if there is a higher chance this player transfers.?

2) Are coaches more inclined to play players they don't want to transfer to "keep them happy". Are players now able to force coaches hand to play them by threatening to transfer? For example imagine if Cliff demanded to start. Over miles. Puts pike in a tough spot.

3). Is less time going to spent on recruiting high school players?

Some won’t like the answer but the NIL changes are going to equalize the portal. Whatever changes are made, I bet there with be restrictions on earning for a period after you transfer. There has to be. I bet frosh won’t be able to earn either so it’s like they will pay their penitence in year one. If they transfer they have to reset the clock and “rebrand” themselves. I saw that EA sports announced a football game. I’m sure basketball will follow and it will be interesting to see how the earning is structured for that. Certain teams worth more than others? Is earning rate based on player’s worth and if so - based on what metrics? All TBD but will factor into the attractiveness of the portal.

Coaches at low majors can also sell themselves almost on the level as a JUCO.... don’t like your offers or can’t find a good fit? Come play for us for one or two years to refine and showcase your game for a transfer opportunity to a higher-level school. If the ultimate goal of a low-major is to win a league championship and then hope the best beyond that, it can be a whatever it takes way of competing for that.

I think coaches in the mold of Bobby Knight (Mike Rice) will be less successful. Yell at a kid, embarrass him in any way, he's going to hit the portal. We've already seen the game dummed-down, due to one-and-dones. I think this will also detract from the game. Your just not going to have another Boeheim style coach with 8 different zone defenses because coaching that takes a couple of years to develop and a lot of yelling.

Let's assume that a player coming out of high school has a 50% chance or so to transfer in his 4/5 yr college career. Looks like 30% of college basketball players are in the portal just this year alone.

1) Do coaches and programs now focus less on player development as the payoff is significantly less. For example, are they less inclined to recruit a "project with upside" and spend the time to develop them if there is a higher chance this player transfers.?

2) Are coaches more inclined to play players they don't want to transfer to "keep them happy". Are players now able to force coaches hand to play them by threatening to transfer? For example imagine if Cliff demanded to start. Over miles. Puts pike in a tough spot.

3). Is less time going to spent on recruiting high school players?
1. Coaches will recruit the best players they can get as they do now and continue to consider the pros or cons of getting a 1 or 2 and done guy, like they already do now.

2. This already happens and happened this year with Pike choosing some guys over Mathis. Coaches get to make the final call and they know what they are doing. These guys are not often surprised in these particular scenarios.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT