ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt can play small or large parts (or no part) in the next 3 games w/o burning his redshirt - what will we see?

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
I get all the logical arguments that he might get killed behind our porous OL and that he's probably not quite ready with regard to the playbook and the speed of the game, but one has to think that if he's as talented and bright as advertised, then he must have picked up a lot by now and maybe he is ready to play. We've seen true freshmen come in and become gamechangers for many teams over the years, but we've also seen some come in and play badly and never live up to their potential.

So, there's some risk in giving him the keys, obviously, but that one play last week was quite tantalizing and at the very least, I can't imagine he's not ready for at least a series or two per game. And I'd just love to see what he might be able to do if given the reins. Also, until this game, I was happy enough to keep Vedral as our starting QB, despite his limitations, but this was, by far, his worst game, and he's probably playing hurt, so maybe it's time. Am I crazy?

Last edited:
I'm not sure he should start but agree he should get a lot of plays to end the season. He his our future.

He’ll see packages, but it’s largely going to be decided in game based off how the OL is doing.

I don’t think he plays more than a few series total. Greg is selling hype and hope to 2022 recruits. If Wimsatt plays poorly, hope fades and 2.0 risks losing top recruits.

It’s smoke and mirrors now. 2.0 needs to keep up the ruse.

I get all the logical arguments that he might get killed behind our porous OL and that he's probably not quite ready with regard to the playbook and the speed of the game, but one has to think that if he's as talented and bright as advertised, then he must have picked up a lot by now and maybe he is ready to play. We've seen true freshmen come in and become gamechangers for many teams over the years, but we've also seen some come in and play badly and never live up to their potential.

So, there's some risk in giving him the keys, obviously, but that one play last week was quite tantalizing and at the very least, I can't imagine he's not ready for at least a series or two per game. And I'd just love to see what he might be able to do if given the reins. Also, until this game, I was happy enough to keep Vedral as our starting QB, despite his limitations, but this was, by far, his worst game, and he's probably playing hurt, so maybe it's time. Am I crazy?
Not crazy

Play him too much and he will get ruined. He’s not ready outside of some plays here or there. Also, it kills what he’s selling which is the team controls it’s own destiny. You see him play for next year now and the team will fold worse than it did today.

I would give him a play here and there. God knows we waste enough of them. It’s like offensive plays hold little value under Schiano. More interested in punting and defense.

Reactions: newell138
No one here knows how many reps he gets in practice. He’s no better than 3rd on the depth chart.

Typically the starter gets 70%, the back up gets 25% and 3rd string gets a handful. 2nd or 3rd string will run scout QB against the starting D- but running the upcoming teams offense.

SOOO, you want to hand over the offense to a freshman who probably runs 5 play a practice in our offense?

I expect to see GW next week. How much remains to be seen. Did Vedral possibly get hurt I understand ? Probably happened later in game after I left which begs another question about why Vedral remained in game when it was 45-3.

I expect to see GW next week. How much remains to be seen. Did Vedral possibly get hurt I understand ? Probably happened later in game after I left which begs another question about why Vedral remained in game when it was 45-3.
Vedral was hurt, looked like a targeting hit to me but that call does not apply to Rutgers players.

This title is incorrect. Unless Wimsatt plays in 5 games this is his redshirt year. If he plays in 4 or less he will have 4 years left to play 4 but no longer a redshirt available. If he plays in 5 games (not happening) he would have 4 years left to play 3 and still have a redshirt year available. You don’t have to redshirt as a freshman you can do it any year.

Reactions: Morrischiano
From a recruiting standpoint, Wimsatt is perfect right now, having gone in on one play in which he did a great job in a high pressure situation. That creates a mystique around Wimsatt that is probably very attractive to recruits.

Given the poor play of our OL and WRs, the more Wimsatt plays, the less powerful the mystique surrounding him becomes. Not sure I would do anything that disrupts that mystique as it may be critical to holding our 2022 recruiting class together.

From a recruiting standpoint, Wimsatt is perfect right now, having gone in on one play in which he did a great job in a high pressure situation. That creates a mystique around Wimsatt that is probably very attractive to recruits.

Given the poor play of our OL and WRs, the more Wimsatt plays, the less powerful the mystique surrounding him becomes. Not sure I would do anything that disrupts that mystique as it may be critical to holding our 2022 recruiting class together.
which is what i said above.

I expect he will get in for some plays verse Indiana. A few reasons, Vedral is banged up and not sure how available he will be. Also , Wimsatt is from Owensboro Ky., which is basically on the Indiana border and according to some reports, will have a large number of family, friends there. I’m sure the coaching staff is aware of that and in this case will impact the decision to get him on the field. I also think he will play some against MD. I‘m not sure about the PSU game, that may not be a good idea.

Reactions: Morrischiano
He should start
Absolutely not. See below.
No one here knows how many reps he gets in practice. He’s no better than 3rd on the depth chart.

Typically the starter gets 70%, the back up gets 25% and 3rd string gets a handful. 2nd or 3rd string will run scout QB against the starting D- but running the upcoming teams offense.

SOOO, you want to hand over the offense to a freshman who probably runs 5 play a practice in our offense?
You are probably right about the practice reps. He is the most talented QB on the roster by far and it shows in practice. That's first hand information. He needs a better grasp of the playbook and needs to become acclimated to the faster pace of the game before he is unleashed. Starting him now and especially against teams who blow us off the OL would most likely be a recipe for disaster.

He is a high school senior. Please do not have him playing more than a handful of plays in a Big Ten game.

Anyone who has premium on either site will know exactly what has been planned, why he didn’t play yesterday and what will likely happen going forward (and this was pre-Vedral getting banged up again yesterday. Get ready folks.

not rocket science....no point wasting him in a game that he wouldn’t possibly have made a difference in. We’ve got three games left, and he can play in three more wo burning the redshirt. He will play next week.

Reactions: ghr
Anyone who has premium on either site will know exactly what has been planned, why he didn’t play yesterday and what will likely happen going forward (and this was pre-Vedral getting banged up again yesterday. Get ready folks.
Does Schiano or his staff give direct interviews that are only visible to premium subscribers? If not, then how does anybody know exactly what has been planned?

I know folks with premium and they don't seem to have a clue exactly what's planned or what is likely to transpire. At least they were clearly just guessing as of the end of the game yesterday - I don't know if, post-game, some additional news has been released by the staff (perhaps about Vedral's injury status).

Reactions: newell138
Does Schiano or his staff give direct interviews that are only visible to premium subscribers? If not, then how does anybody know exactly what has been planned?

I know folks with premium and they don't seem to have a clue exactly what's planned or what is likely to transpire. At least they were clearly just guessing as of the end of the game yesterday - I don't know if, post-game, some additional news has been released by the staff (perhaps about Vedral's injury status).

The information is out there. If not here definitely on TOS’s premium site. 100% a “plan” in place.

The information is out there. If not here definitely on TOS’s premium site. 100% a “plan” in place.
I have no doubt that a plan is in place. Of course there's a plan - although those sorts of plans are usually subject to change as changing circumstances dictate.

My point is that I'm also pretty sure that nobody but the coaching staff is fully informed of what the plans are. GS has spoken publicly about having a plan for Wimsatt. But that information is publicly available to anybody, not just premium members anywhere (on the YouTube Rutgers Athletics account where all the various press conferences are listed).

The folks I know who have premium have it on both sites. And during the game yesterday, it was abundantly clear they were guessing at the plan for Wimsatt as much as anybody else.

I have no doubt that a plan is in place. Of course there's a plan - although those sorts of plans are usually subject to change as changing circumstances dictate.

My point is that I'm also pretty sure that nobody but the coaching staff is fully informed of what the plans are. GS has spoken publicly about having a plan for Wimsatt. But that information is publicly available to anybody, not just premium members anywhere (on the YouTube Rutgers Athletics account where all the various press conferences are listed).

The folks I know who have premium have it on both sites. And during the game yesterday, it was abundantly clear they were guessing at the plan for Wimsatt as much as anybody else

There has been more information given out then just “there is a plan.” You don’t wanna believe me, couldn’t care less, that’s on you. The information is out there. I’ve got a soccer game to watch my friend.

Schiano is the coach so there is definitely a plan. Schiano always has a plan that he sticks to at all costs, which is his strength and his weakness.

Schiano is the coach so there is definitely a plan. Schiano always has a plan that he sticks to at all costs, which is his strength and his weakness.
I'm being Captain Obvious here, but all coaches have plans and most probably work hard to stick by them. But in sports, football in particular with all the injuries, circumstances change and all coaches are forced to adapt their plans as required.

Schiano has discussed his plans for Wimsatt in his recent press conferences available on YouTube. He's not giving away any details, but is saying enough to get the gist of what they want to do with Wimsatt. However, coaches are also known for saying one thing publicly and then, when game days come around, doing another. Which is probably part gamesmanship and part changing circumstances.

As Mike Teel said on the broadcast yesterday you don't know how many reps GW gets during the week. He thinks there are small packages where he could be used. Definitely won't start but can be used in some sreies.

I don’t think he plays more than a few series total. Greg is selling hype and hope to 2022 recruits. If Wimsatt plays poorly, hope fades and 2.0 risks losing top recruits.

It’s smoke and mirrors now. 2.0 needs to keep up the ruse.
Come on, come clean.
What team do you really support to post this crap here (that you think might get your real team a flipped commit or two)?

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT