ADVERTISEMENT

Can we all agree about “opening up the O”?

It’s just not us. Our game is ball possession, smash mouth, run it down your throat, impose our will, and wear you down type of football. And guess what… there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Our best WR is Dremel and it got to the point that he was being triple covered. Doesn’t it make sense to lean on KM and our underrated OL?

Plus as much as I’m pleased with GW’s overall improvement, he’s still too inaccurate and iffy with the football to ask him to do too much. He’s actually better with his legs as well.

Run, run, and run some more. Run it every opportunity we have and we beat MD, and possibly Iowa and/or PSU.

2024 might be different with GW’s continued improvement and potentially better WR play. But for now, run until we can’t run anymore.
With your strategy we will be punting a lot

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Not to pile on here, but you can see that stats are done in terms of yards per attempt. https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ and https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ (The latter just gives "average," but if you do the math, it's plainly average per attempt.)
It’s used as part of the QBR. Just like completion %. The yards per attempt is actually used to penalize short passes to inflate completion %. But my point was about the type of passing plays OC is calling when we are throwing. It’s not like we are not pushing the ball downfield when we throw.

It’s used as part of the QBR. Just like completion %. The yards per attempt is actually used to penalize short passes to inflate completion %. But my point was about the type of passing plays OC is calling when we are throwing. It’s not like we are not pushing the ball downfield when we throw.
Ok, but that's different from your saying, as you did above, "Yards per attempt? That’s not a stat." FWIW, I think it's a perfectly good stat, just like yards per carry are. An unsuccessful pass attempt is as bad as a rush for no gain. It's not as though we evaluate running backs by looking just at the plays where they gain yards,

Yes, we are trying to push the ball downfield when we throw, but unfortunately we're not as good at it as we should be. Maybe we'd be better off with the West Coast offense approach of using short passes as substitutes for carries? Wimsatt missed a couple of short passes early in the game, but he did better overall as he settled down.

Let me emphasize that I am *not* a Wimsatt-hater. I only think it should be recognized that he's got a long way to go. Unlike some here, I think he has the physical tools. But he needs to learn how to use them better.

Actually, we punt more when we pass more. We need to pass just enough so the D has to defend pass play.
My thought here is that if we ran ninety percent if the time, we are not a powerhouse team that can wear down a OSU, and we would punt a lot

The threat of a pass, and a pass, aids the running game
Also we get over powered running inside the ten, that seems evident

We need better passing, and it is frustrating because it seems the easy passes are a problem

Reactions: retired711
Ok, but that's different from your saying, as you did above, "Yards per attempt? That’s not a stat." FWIW, I think it's a perfectly good stat, just like yards per carry are. An unsuccessful pass attempt is as bad as a rush for no gain. It's not as though we evaluate running backs by looking just at the plays where they gain yards,

Yes, we are trying to push the ball downfield when we throw, but unfortunately we're not as good at it as we should be. Maybe we'd be better off with the West Coast offense approach of using short passes as substitutes for carries? Wimsatt missed a couple of short passes early in the game, but he did better overall as he settled down.

Let me emphasize that I am *not* a Wimsatt-hater. I only think it should be recognized that he's got a long way to go. Unlike some here, I think he has the physical tools. But he needs to learn how to use them better.
The only part I’ll disagree with is the comparison to yards per carry. RB valuation is much simpler and straight forward. More yards per carry is just better. But QBR more yards per attempt doesn’t mean higher QBR.

The only part I’ll disagree with is the comparison to yards per carry. RB valuation is much simpler and straight forward. More yards per carry is just better. But QBR more yards per attempt doesn’t mean higher QBR.
Yes, but yards per attempt are taken into account in determining "passer rating," which remains the NFL's official statistic. The NCAA uses a similar formula. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating QBR (whose exact formula, devised by ESPN, is proprietary) is not necessarily the more valid measure. But in any case, yards per attempt remains a relevant way to measure QBs, even though, as you say, it is not as clearly related to performance as yards per carry for a running back.

I completely agree with the OP. I don't want this offense "opened" at all. The QB can't hit basic 5 yard out patterns. He misses wide open receivers by 8-10 yards on downfield passes. For this team, passing is wasted possessions. Just run the ball. And keep running it. We should be throwing 5 to 6 passes a game.

You want to throw the ball all over the place? Get a QB who can do it.

Don't agree. It’s what he has to work with and it’s probably more the OC decision. I remember when Ryan Hart beat Jay Cutler when we played Vanderbilt and won after being down 27-3. I think Hart was allowed to throw when he was at Rutgers.
hart sucked his first three years, throwing a ton of interceptions, but took a significant step forward in year 4. Gavin to his credit, has avoided throwing a ton of interceptions, and sports close to a 2:1 TD to INT ratio. his completion % needs to get better, but that is also due to the lack of talent in the WR Corp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT