ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt will be our Starting Quarterback next year

Everyone knows Gavin has to improve his accuracy. Gavin knows that better than anyone else.

But if you are going to slag Gavin, you can’t ignore that there were a ton of passes successfully defended On catchable balls. A ton. And that was because we lack talent in the WR Corp.
Get Rutgers receivers two like Egbuka and Marvin Harrison along with Strong and some 2023 and 2024 players and let’s see if GW’s accuracy gets better especially with a full year and a half now. Remember his first two seasons were only several passes and a season on a injured ankle which never healed . Schiano will do what he believes is right contrary to all our experts here.

Combination of both. There were drops. More importantly very inconsistent getting open downfield. Not defending Gavin. Just saying better receivers Gavin’s numbers are better too. Upgrades needed at QB AND TE AND WR and OL etc etc

Look obviously if you add better receivers to any roster it’s likely going to translate into overall better QB numbers. But the biggest issue by far wasn’t the downfield game. We had no lateral / short game because Gavin couldn’t execute those typically automatic passes. Teams knew the edges weren’t a threat and were able to plan defensive schemes accordingly. A huge problem.

Our WR room was very week. Yes GW struggled to hit some passes, but we also had multiple drops and struggles at times to beat man press. Once Jackson got hurt he was never the same and we stopped being able to beat 1 on 1 man press matchups without rub routes or different actions. Our top 3 WRs were out or not at 100%.

I think next year I think CD and IS with CL coming back and hopefully our transfer being cleared it will be very different. Our big issue is finding a Te
6 wins is the only stat that matters
His passing fails statistical tests and the eye test. I have never seen a college QB sail so many passes over the head of his receivers. He can’t hit a short pass to a RB. Did he hit one single receiver in stride on a bomb all season? I hope he improves a ton by next year because I know Greg has him penciled in. But after 3 years I can’t see how he will suddenly improve to the level of average thrower.

And btw, we won 6 games because Mich State handed us a game.

Then perhaps Rutgers need a new strength and conditioning program because Rutgers defense played the 16th fewest snaps on defense nationally and 4th fewest in the BIG. Marylands defense played a whole additional games worth of snaps and still wasn’t as fatigued.

On top of that Maryland defense was on the field for 79 plays while Rutgers defense was on the field for 59 plays. So why was Rutgers defense so much more fatigued especially in the first quarter when Maryland scored 21?
Maryland simply had more depth and talent than we did. They may have had fewer plays, but a good portion of the plays they made were big plays. They were very efficient offensively. They scored more than Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.

Reactions: satnom
His passing fails statistical tests and the eye test. I have never seen a college QB sail so many passes over the head of his receivers. He can’t hit a short pass to a RB. Did he hit one single receiver in stride on a bomb all season? I hope he improves a ton by next year because I know Greg has him penciled in. But after 3 years I can’t see how he will suddenly improve to the level of average thrower.

And btw, we won 6 games because Mich State handed us a game.
His running offsets his passing. MSU handing us the game doesn’t mean anything. 6 wins is 6 wins.

Silly how? We want to win for free I guess because the other fan bases are doing what this one will not. That’s what you took from my post? Literally lol.
Plenty of teams are winning with the players that they have. Greg and staff are miracle workers with getting 6 wins ( maybe one more) out of this group. My point is a person can be a fan and not contribute to the NIL. Also just because you pay someone a NIL deal doesn’t mean it always works out. As a Met fan I can say we threw money at free agents and many did not work out. We all want to win throwing more money into a NIL doesn’t mean someone wants to win more then someone else.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Plenty of teams are winning with the players that they have. Greg and staff are miracle workers with getting 6 wins ( maybe one more) out of this group. My point is a person can be a fan and not contribute to the NIL. Also just because you pay someone a NIL deal doesn’t mean it always works out. As a Met fan I can say we threw money at free agents and many did not work out. We all want to win throwing more money into a NIL doesn’t mean someone wants to win more then someone else.
It does not guarantee wins but the transfer portal just opened. There are players in it that would come here and really upgrade the team. We can def use OL and WR and a TE and lol of course a QB. That’s not going to happen unless NIL is available for these guys. You know that so that’s why I say we as a whole want to win for free.

They were fatigued, but less fatigued then we were.

Because they have a soon to be NFL Quarterback who threw for 3300+ yards, combined with a good rushing attack, which kept their defense fresher.

They haven’t been abysmal for a decade and have depth behind their ones. Something we’re still a year or two away from having.

It does not guarantee wins but the transfer portal just opened. There are players in it that would come here and really upgrade the team. We can def use OL and WR and a TE and lol of course a QB. That’s not going to happen unless NIL is available for these guys. You know that so that’s why I say we as a whole want to win for free.
Simplify if further. Last year I had money for NIL this year due to many circumstances can’t. Does that mean I wanted to win last year but don’t want to win this year? My fandom doesn’t change. In theory if other schools have NIL deals should we? Absolutely. Just a difference of opinion as to people have to contribute to NIL to wanting to win

Top WR candidates enter the portal because they feel they are not getting the touches at their current school that allows them to showcase their skills for the next level. They are not coming to Rutgers to play under a run first offense with an accuracy challenged QB. NIL money ain't gonna make a difference if they don't think the offense and/or the QB will get them the ball.

Simplify if further. Last year I had money for NIL this year due to many circumstances can’t. Does that mean I wanted to win last year but don’t want to win this year? My fandom doesn’t change. In theory if other schools have NIL deals should we? Absolutely. Just a difference of opinion as to people have to contribute to NIL to wanting to win
Circumstances can change for individual families. But they don’t change for the fanbase in aggregate. We have fans, but they just won’t meaningfully support NIL.

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
  • Mike Teel too 4.5 years to be a good QB
  • Ryan Hart took 3 years to be a good qb in year 4
  • Gary Nova took 3 years to be a good qb in year 4
  • Noah Vedral was a good qb in ‘21, but he had a ton of experience. Unfortunately he didn’t play much in ‘22.
Why should Gavin Wimsatt be any different? Yes, it was an ugly passing year, but we did what we needed to do and got to a bowl.
Al, once again you're way off base. Teel took 4.5 years to be a good QB?

First season = "memorization"
Second season = "understanding"
Third season = "mastery"

Those three steps are how Kirk Ciarrocca sees QB development according to the Maryland game announcers

6:10-6:25

That was hard to watch. Abysmal.

The one at 4:06 is typical of what we see from him. He cant make easy throws that 95 percent of D1 QBs make at any level. Anyone can throw up a "go get it" ball and get lucky. It's the surgical precision that makes a QB good, and that should NOT take 3 years, I'm sorry.

Throws over the head, at the feet, not even close, all of the above is just unacceptable..

If he has a poor bowl game that position SHOULD be up for grabs in Spring no doubt. Hes got tons of work to do...again...still....

Circumstances can change for individual families. But they don’t change for the fanbase in aggregate. We have fans, but they just won’t meaningfully support NIL.
I have given my reason many times but it still doesn't make me less of a fan- I just am not going to blow my marketing and advertising budget on - oh wait, I am not a business with a marketing and advertising budget. lol

I actually do admire you and those that do provide donations into the NIL. Seems the new way of life for college football. My kid played for his education and pride. And I could have easily paid for his education.
I just can't cant get past or would be able to convince the wife to give away money to kids we don't know who are not doing it for the same reasons our kid did.
If someone asked for money to a scholarship fund, I would be much more inclined to do that instead.

Reactions: Unionst
I don’t understand why there is so much negativity regarding a transfer qb. Do Maryland, Kentucky, Syracuse, nc state, Pittsburgh have that much more NIL money than RU? How do we have enough for Bailey and Harper? I fully understand that RU will never land a Sam Hartman and probably not even a guy like van dyke. But can we really not sell a program that went 6-6 in the big 10 with a bad qb? Why even bother ponying up the big bucks for ciarocca?

That was hard to watch. Abysmal.

The one at 4:06 is typical of what we see from him. He cant make easy throws that 95 percent of D1 QBs make at any level. Anyone can throw up a "go get it" ball and get lucky. It's the surgical precision that makes a QB good, and that should NOT take 3 years, I'm sorry.

Throws over the head, at the feet, not even close, all of the above is just unacceptable..

If he has a poor bowl game that position SHOULD be up for grabs in Spring no doubt. Hes got tons of work to do...again...still....
Interesting enough - the surgical precision passes were there and successful quite a bit for GW and why the other stuff was frustrating.
What is also frustrating and not just with GW- who was the last RU QB that could throw a good screen pass that was not behind, at the feet or over the head? It has been a very long time.

Big whoop. So we win 5 games or less. We are still building the program. Need a few more good classes to win consistently.
Is this a joke?
You can’t make your mind up Al!
One sentence is we need more recruiting classes and more time, the next sentence is we will never get where we need because fans don’t contribute to NIL?
Oh yea, I forgot, we won’t out recruit anyone until we have state of the art facilities!
Lol-
You’ve been waiting 30 years just like many of us, I’ve seen you grow from a spring chicken into a middle aged man.
You’ll be saying the same thing when old and withered..
I’ve been waiting 50 years, won’t be long before you catch me buddy😊
You’re still a great supporting fan…love ya.

Last edited:
Is this a joke?
One sentence is we need more recruiting classes and more time, the next sentence is we will never get where we need because fans don’t contribute to NIL?
Oh yea, I forgot, we won’t out recruit anyone until we have state of the art facilities!
Lol-
Next year's baseline should be set by this year's performance. 6 wins should be expected. If we are under- bad year, if we are over - progress

Reactions: satnom
I have given my reason many times but it still doesn't make me less of a fan- I just am not going to blow my marketing and advertising budget on - oh wait, I am not a business with a marketing and advertising budget. lol

I actually do admire you and those that do provide donations into the NIL. Seems the new way of life for college football. My kid played for his education and pride. And I could have easily paid for his education.
I just can't cant get past or would be able to convince the wife to give away money to kids we don't know who are not doing it for the same reasons our kid did.
If someone asked for money to a scholarship fund, I would be much more inclined to do that instead.

There is definitely some of this. I think you will see what you will see in other sports.

We don't have a scholarship for you, but we do have an NIL deal to cover your tuition. Of course, that doesn't include the big money kids but on the margins, you are going to see schools stockpiling talent that exceeds the 85 scholarship limit.

Kids that would have otherwise fell out of pool of A list programs are still going to have the opportunity to go there through NIL. People that don't want to support NIL because they think it means a kid is going to be purchasing a Porche are much more apt to support NIL that goes directly to education.

I've personally seen this happen specifically with the lacrosse program.

Is this a joke?
Lol-

Poor Al has posted himself into a more pretzels than Utz.

There is definitely some of this. I think you will see what you will see in other sports.

We don't have a scholarship for you, but we do have an NIL deal to cover your tuition. Of course, that doesn't include the big money kids but on the margins, you are going to see schools stockpiling talent that exceeds the 85 scholarship limit.

Kids that would have otherwise fell out of pool of A list programs are still going to have the opportunity to go there through NIL. People that don't want to support NIL because they think it means a kid is going to be purchasing a Porche are much more apt to support NIL that goes directly to education.

I've personally seen this happen directly with the lacrosse program.
Agree. There really needs to be a serious reform on NIL- I also think the same for the Portal.

If a qb who has been in college for 3 years misses guys with no one within 5 yards of them by 10 feet chances are that’s never gonna change. Hell, if a qb in hs does that it’s not gonna change either. Move on.

Reactions: noble106
Is this a joke?
Lol-
You’ve been waiting 30 years just like many of us, I’ve seen you grow from a spring chicken into a middle aged man.
You’ll be saying the same thing when old and withered..
I’ve been waiting 50 years, won’t be long before you catch me buddy😊
You’re still a great supporting fan…love ya.
Love ya too ☺️

We need all of the above 😀

To be a 5-7 win program we can stick with the status quo.

To make a run at Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan occasionally, we need a Fieldhouse

To be consistently competitive with everyone in the Big 10, we need to add NIL to the Fieldhouse.

If a qb who has been in college for 3 years misses guys with no one within 5 yards of them by 10 feet chances are that’s never gonna change. Hell, if a qb in hs does that it’s not gonna change either. Move on.
47.8% of the time his throws are on the money or in the vicinity. 52.2% of the time is his opportunity to get better. Better talent in the WR Corp plus better ball placement should allow him to get above 50% next year.

Al, once again you're way off base. Teel took 4.5 years to be a good QB?

Year 3 of Teel was 2006. His first year as starter. We probably get a BCS bid if Ryan Hart was our guy. Teel year 3 was not very good (rather he was very inconsistent). 12 TDs to 13 picks. 55% comp with a 1st round WR, another NFL UDFA, 2 NFL RBs and the best OL we’ve ever had.

Dont take this as a slight of Teel. But his whole career was not the last 6 games of 2008 (22 TDs to 6 picks). In fact, we’d have been better with Gavin the first 7 games (3 TDS to 7 picks).

Maryland simply had more depth and talent than we did. They may have had fewer plays, but a good portion of the plays they made were big plays. They were very efficient offensively. They scored more than Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.
You always have an excuse don’t you. It never that in year 4 Schiano has failed to bring in the talent needed and failed to prepare the team for the game. You never run out of excuses.

47.8% of the time his throws are on the money or in the vicinity. 52.2% of the time is his opportunity to get better. Better talent in the WR Corp plus better ball placement should allow him to get above 50% next year.
You know how low of a threshold 50% is. You act like that a huge accomplishment.

But if you are going to slag Gavin, you can’t ignore that there were a ton of passes successfully defended On catchable balls. A ton. And that was because we lack talent in the WR Corp.
Or maybe there are really good defensive backs in the big ten? Good defensive play really doesn't excuse wide open misses or the frequent failures to see the wide open alternatives that prevent that good defensive play. All star recievers will help overall but don't address these issues that fans are complaining about much.

better talent helps anyone. The question is can anyone perform better with the current talent?

You always have an excuse don’t you. It never that in year 4 Schiano has failed to bring in the talent needed and failed to prepare the team for the game. You never run out of excuses.

It's quite the change from having us winning the national championship every year lol

Big whoop. So we win 5 games or less. We are still building the program. Need a few more good classes to win consistently.
No way. We have to keep showing forward progress. The way forward past 6-6 isn’t with a QB who can’t throw bunnies.

It is the 2019 class that really didn't bring much to the table that killed us. 2020- was actually a very solid year and we will find out more about 21/22/23 in this upcoming year. but there are is a solid core- just no depth.

Get Rutgers receivers two like Egbuka and Marvin Harrison along with Strong and some 2023 and 2024 players and let’s see if GW’s accuracy gets better especially with a full year and a half now. Remember his first two seasons were only several passes and a season on an injured ankle which never healed . Schiano will do what he believes is right contrary to all our experts here.
You know a good player when you see one I know.
Production is reduced and harder to come by when the supporting cast isn’t great, but you’ll always come away saying “that kid can play”
When Iowa took away Kyle, we were sunk, we had no answer because the coaches knew there wasn’t an answer.

Reactions: angmo
You know a good player when you see one I know.
Production is reduced and harder to come by when the supporting cast isn’t great, but you’ll always come away saying “that kid can play”
When Iowa took away Kyle, we were sunk, we had no answer because the coaches knew there wasn’t an answer.
There was something missing through most of the year and I can't just put it on players. Too often, we could see the other team took something away from us and we just never did something to change it up.
How many times did we see a team take away the inside run from GW and KM and we just keep doing the same thing instead of maybe trying something to the outside. And in so many other years- even with a boring offense, GS had a trick or two waiting. A reverse, a HB pass or anything- even just start running to the outside.
but we just never did it.
I was watching the OL quite a bit this year- they were very well coached and I think we could have done more if we used them more to pull rather than just always just try to move the line forward 3 yards. And even with GW- who is one of the more talented running QB's out there- why the heck did we not design more for him and then watch guys with lead boots on the other team find a way to the outside or inside draws.
So much of this did seam to be on offensive side of the ball coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT