ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 165 issue

SouthJerzwrestle

Redshirt
Feb 17, 2017
Don't really know what the coaches are thinking here. Moving in a different kid every match was not going to help any of them. Then I looked up their stats (Scott, Panton, Pafumi) and something else made no sense. Maybe I just don't understand but...

Head to Head:
Scott-Pafumi= No matches
Scott-Painton= 2 wins for Painton
Pafumi-Painton= No matches

Common opponents this year:

Zachary Spira (Drexel): Pafumi got pinned. Painton pinned. Scott beat 3-2.
Gordon Wolf (Lehigh): Painton loss 8-1. Scott loss 17-3.
Abner Romero (Old Dominion): Pafumi loses 7-5. Painton Pinned.
Mitch Minotti (Lehigh): Painton loses 5-4. Scott loses 13-6.

Dual starts and record:
Pafumi: 4 starts (1-3)
Painton: 2 starts (0-2)
Scott: 9 starts (4-5)

Painton must be a dog in the room because he has done the best but is the low man on the totem pole.

That has to be the reason and I'm more of a Scott fan then the other two. If that is it then they should have just let him wrestle the whole year. The Pafumi thing makes no sense unless they are just paying him back for time served.

See your point and it's certainly valid. To me it means inside the wrestling room there is no clear cut guy who consistently shows they are the better wrestler. Probably a lot of back-and-forth going on so the coaches are giving each guy an opportunity to prove themselves and no one has been abel to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

I've been very surprised about how much Donner has struggled in his first year of college. Don't forget we have JVB and Lewis next year as well for 157/165.

I thought he was a bit closer in wrestling level to Grello. He's struggled a lot more though this year.
Oh. He wasn't anywhere close. Grello was a 2x state champ & ranked #7 @ 170 & #70 overall nationally, whereas Donner finished 3rd 2x & was ranked 14th @ 170 but unranked nationally.

I don't think Grello will live up to expectations either. Only because they are a little too high. JVB and Lewis should do nicely next year though. Maybe Scott will have a good big ten showing and get some confidence.

I don't think Grello will live up to expectations either. Only because they are a little too high.
What expectations are too high; that he'll AA? I'm not sure how you could say this after 1 injury plagued redshirt freshman season where he barely wrestled.

What expectations are too high; that he'll AA? I'm not sure how you could say this after 1 injury plagued redshirt freshman season where he barely wrestled.
Grello's high school career had a lot of injuries as well. Hopefully it isn't something that follows him in college after this season. That was always a worry I had for him.

I don't think Grello will live up to expectations either. Only because they are a little too high. JVB and Lewis should do nicely next year though. Maybe Scott will have a good big ten showing and get some confidence.
why wouldn't Grello live up to expectations?What expections are "a little too high"? Just cause you think that Donner hasn't (not sure what your expectations were for him)? Doesn't really work that way but...

WHat weight do they see Grello at next year? Seems like we will have Lewis at 157. Would JVB go to 165? Pagano at 174?

No inside info..but thinking next year healthy Lewis at 157 with JVB or Grello at 165...Think Pagano is coming into his own at 174..Gravina 184...Mulligan 197...Gross 285...looks like a very solid B1G back end of lineup

Reactions: Clearscreen25
No inside info..but thinking next year healthy Lewis at 157 with JVB or Grello at 165...Think Pagano is coming into his own at 174..Gravina 184...Mulligan 197...Gross 285...looks like a very solid B1G back end of lineup
Agreed - that's a nice lineup. I was curious if any of the insiders thinks Grello beats out JVB or if Grello goes to 174 and challenges Pagano, or some other scenario.

I don't think Grello will get in the starting line up for at least two more years. He was healthy when he lost to scott...add in basically a year off. I hope I'm wrong but it's possible we never see him start.

Love the lineup for next year:
Question is does one of Lewis or JVB Drop down to 149 to make room for the other, Or Does Deluca take over at 149.

If I was the guy. I might consider dropping JVB down to 149 to complete with Deluca, and let Grello Loose on the world.

125: Paetzall
133: Del Vecchio/Dippery
141: Ashnault
149: Deluca/J.Van Brill
157: Lewis
165:Grello/Scott/Donnor
174: Pagano/Pafumi/Donnor
184: Gravina
197: Mulligan
HWT: Gross/Correnti (Note to this is to probably redshirt Correnti so he can have 2 years to gain 30 lbs and make him a 3 year HWT after Gross Leave

I see it a bit different:$$$$
125- Mackall
133 Del Vecchio
141 Ashnault
149 Giraldo
157 Lewis
165 VanBrill
174 Pagano
184 Gravina
197 Mulligan
Hwt Gross

Reactions: RUGrapple
125- Mackall
133 Del Vecchio
141 Ashnault
149 Giraldo
157 Lewis
165 VanBrill
174 Pagano
184 Gravina
197 Mulligan
Hwt Gross

Intersting..... Are you saying RS Paetzall, and one of Paetzall and Mackall will takee 133 over when DelVecchio Graduates?

Dippery will never make 133 against so forget about that. Wonderful young man who has to transfer if he wants to finish off his career as a regular at 141 or 149. Lewis never makes 249 nor JVB. That will be Zgirsldo or Deluca unless MVB can bulk up. Parfumi graduates so scratch that.

Intersting..... Are you saying RS Paetzall, and one of Paetzall and Mackall will takee 133 over when DelVecchio Graduates?
Yes to the paetzall redshirt. I don't know to the 133 question. The way this staff is quickly developing talent, it wouldn't surprise me to see a true or redshirt frosh battling for a spot along with the above mentioned. I think we will see intense competition at many weight classes after this group of juniors moves on. Should be fun to watch. $$$$

Reactions: RUGrapple
125- Mackall
133 Del Vecchio
141 Ashnault
149 Giraldo
157 Lewis
165 VanBrill
174 Pagano
184 Gravina
197 Mulligan
Hwt Gross

I think Paetzall wrestles next season. RU will have a very tuff team and the coaches will want to get the best lineup on the mat. And I would not be surprised if Van Brill stays at 157 and Lewis goes 165(I think those two will be the guys at those weights any order).

Gun to my head I would say its the following
125 Paetzall/Mackall split time
133 Del Vecchio
141 Ash
149 DeLuca
157 Lewis
165 JVB/Grello split time
174 Pagano
184 Gravina
197 Mulligan
285 Gross

Glasgow, Metzler, Correnti all redshirt.

My take: I bet Lewis goes to 165. In the early season, he was wrestling at 165 probably due to difficulty with weight cut. Let him wrestle at a weight that is natural for him. 157 would be headed by JVB. 149 will be b/w DeLuca and Geraldo. 125 - someone other than Paetzall (redshirt).

I think Paetzall wrestles next season. RU will have a very tuff team and the coaches will want to get the best lineup on the mat. And I would not be surprised if Van Brill stays at 157 and Lewis goes 165(I think those two will be the guys at those weights any order).
I thought Lewis optimal weight is 57. He's stockier body type and JVB is lankier so makes more sense if Lewis stays 57 and JVB goes 65. Unless Lewis is struggling to make 57

I believe DeLuca tore his ACL at Midlands so although he has about a year to recover not sure how he will be.

Dippery will never make 133 against so forget about that. Wonderful young man who has to transfer if he wants to finish off his career as a regular at 141 or 149. Lewis never makes 249 nor JVB. That will be Zgirsldo or Deluca unless MVB can bulk up. Parfumi graduates so scratch that.
Bill, I always believed Dippery had a lot of potential. He made a big weight cut to take over at 133 this year so I don't see why he couldn't easily go back to 149. Are the other contenders that much better than him that he would not even try it?

what is RU doing in recruiting for hwt? They definitely need to add a transfer or a project at this point to add depth. Also is RU going to add another high end recruit this year or will they aim for next?

what is RU doing in recruiting for hwt? They definitely need to add a transfer or a project at this point to add depth. Also is RU going to add another high end recruit this year or will they aim for next?
I agree with you, but I think the plan is for Gross to man Hwt next year while Correnti redshirts and bulks up for the following year. There are some NJ high schoolers on the horizon who could potentially be in the picture - Zach Delvechhio (Scott's brother) is a highly ranked sophomore at 220. I'm sure there are others we are looking at as well, maybe Melise of Phillipsburg?

Reactions: demauroj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT